Server time: 2019-03-27, 01:23 WE ARE RECRUITING
Sign in to follow this  
Stellaboy

I encountered a racist roleplay today, and it was great.

Interesting thing about racism is that it's illegal in many countries - including the UK where the current dayzRP servers are located. Now the definition in the UK of what's racially offensive is pretty broad - really pretty much anything the person reporting it finds offensive. However the penalties and indeed the reach of the law in pursuing the criminals is pretty wide - esp if those perpetrators are located in the EU. So think about it people - racism is not just uncool.. it's fukin stooped, (esp in a world where everything is recorded :)) and could see the servers shut down in the UK, logs seized and an EAW issued for the person accused - ANYWHERE in the EU.

So be nice and stow that racist shit - it's not smart - it's not clever and frankly in the Zombie Apocalypse the only thing that matters is the colour of your brains as the Zeds chow down... not the colour of your skin.

It takes an understanding of people to figure out who will be offended or wont be offended, though it is a tough line to tread on.....If done correctly within character backstory lines without negative slurs constantly bombarding , it could be a dramatic story line.

Guest ApolloakaJosh

LOL. Your homeboys got rekt by my home boy Max.

Too bad Allah didn't guide you when you charged at him with your fists! xD

great rp m8

When you yelled allahakbar, me and him ran because we thought your friends were gonna pull something, or you dropped a grenade or something idk, it was pretty funny though.

Don't you just love that whenever a sensitive topic (racism or rape etc.) starts up, the people debating are always trying to show that they don't want it a certain way, and apologize the whole time, for e.g (I'm not saying this, or I don't condone, this is what I mean) etc.

I think everyone here needs to see this video, a good ol' racist test :)

Solid video Nightfury, I actually laughed out loud!

ApolloAKAJosh, I had to make a diversion. When you FINALLY discovered my radio, my friends were very close by. Very close! I needed a diversion, so I hoped that would work. And it did, bought me a couple seconds I suppose.

But to Josh and Max, I thought it was a GREAT roleplay, I didn't personally consider racist or offensive, but I wasn't sure how sensitive the community here was. I really wanted to post it under "Who's roleplay did you enjoy?" but I wasn't sure if there would be an incredibly vindictive game master who would seek "justice"

That was my first roleplay experience on here in perhaps 3 months, so I haven't been to exposed to the community. I am glad those who are so easily offended make up a small minority. I myself am a Cuban-American, and I may roleplay a Spaniard next life. I would gladly welcome a plethora of hispanic racial slurs, just be ready to get yelled at in Spanish.

Also Max, Josh. My mic works again, and let's just say i've been recruiting. Looking forward to running into you lads again!

Guest Vittoria

>someone playing chernarussian calls someone Russian filth and scum and bad anti Russian terms

>community has actual Russians members

>good rp!

>Russian calls Somalian group black men scum and bad black terms

>community has black members

>ban

This is why there is grey areas

It's like everything really. If you're offended, mention it OOC and ask for it to stop, if it persists: talk to staff.

But in the end when you think about it, it's the end of the world, you would easily find racists, rapists, etc. Maybe we have people on this community who are (ex-)drug addicts, and seeing people in game RPing morphine as heroin / others might bother them, yet I don't see a post about that going around.

We are all from different backgrounds, with different experiences, some things some people might find offending, others might find it enjoyable to play, or not be bothered by it. Me on a personal note, I don't take anything IC personally, it's all a game in the end.

Just remember to respect others wishes OOCly, if someone is offended or bothered, don't continue down that path, it will not be enjoyable for either of you. On the other end if you are offended, don't be afraid to ask for it to stop, and don't go rushing to those forums to report.

Simply put: Be open minded and respect other people's issues.

--

>someone playing chernarussian calls someone Russian filth and scum and bad anti Russian terms

>community has actual Russians members

>good rp!

>Russian calls Somalian group black men scum and bad black terms

>community has black members

>ban

This is why there is grey areas

This right here is a perfect example.

Guest Miles

Before I begin, no i obviously do not condone racism in any way shape or form. Just please, read what happened.

I was roleplaying as Mahammad Farooq, an Iranian national trapped in Chernarus. I was taken by two bandits, and told I ran slow because I ate too many kebabs or something equally silly (and funny.)

They then force-fed me bacon and rasputin kavass (beer)

They asked my permission //ooc before doing so, which I found very good and respectful.

One man claimed to be from Takistan, and was Orthodox, and explained how Muslim Takistanis ruined his life and his country.

I actually found this to be unbelievably immersive and an incredible role play. It was gripping, and terrible, but a perfect glimpse at how reality in a zombie apocalypse could be!

Okay, so I am not suggesting that making a "KKK" is okay, but perhaps that this racism rule might limit the potential for role play if taken too literally or seriously. Discrimination prior to the zombie apocalypse is VERY real, so why would it just go away during it?

I have encountered a few other players being somewhat "controversial." They never used downright racial slurs, however I liked that many players distanced themselves from me initially because of my "faith" and accent. I fear perhaps spectators to this might take this rule perhaps too seriously, and file several reports for otherwise in depth and immersive play.

Please I want to hear what you think. What has your experience been with racism and other roleplays? Again, I want to make it clear I do not condone any sort of racism, nor even the usage of racial slurs, I just hope this rule isn't applied too liberally!

Sounds pretty dank. I'd like to see some of it repealed but not all of it.

I used to get lots of shit for being the only black character in town. Then it became mainstream and some kid Johnny Denver popularized it. Now no one even comments on my melanin proficiency.

Reminds me of when Kira, an og playing a conservative Japanese character commented on how he thought homosexuality was wrong in character and was banned for homophobia even though ooc he had done nothing homophobic or offensive and had no problem with homophobic people. At least if I remember it correctly, but that proves that while I agree with people that a character should be allowed to hate a race or religion with acceptable rp reasons it is indeed a slippery slope and sensitive topic. If you get offended because a fictional character Im playing said something offensive then Im sorry but you have issues. Lets just trust the majority of people here know how to play it out properly, like the op's story shows.

Hmmm...I am playing as an Arab and a religious Muslim. I havent had much interaction time with people because most people I meet are busy doing this or that or going somewhere. I do believe that some hostility would make for some great and enjoyable RP, and I get to flex my Arabic insults too

Oh God, I remember this. The nostalgia. Somewhat like I mentioned it.

Personally, I feel that whether or not racist roleplay is appropriate is entirely contextual.

If someone is roleplaying as a racist in a serious manner, for the sake of their character and their narrative, and if it's roleplayed well, it could add a lot to roleplay. Consider Merle from The Walking Dead. Ideologically flawed characters might be deplorable, but that disagreeable facet of who they are can be a large part of why they're interesting.

That being said, let's not be hypocrites. I challenge you to imagine if you came across the following characters in roleplay, and how you think you'd react or feel about them OOC'ly.

1): An Orthodox Takistani who is outwardly and violently racist toward Takistani Muslims.

2): A white Christian American who is outwardly and violently racist toward black or hispanic people.

Both are equally deplorable, but I feel like we'd all be a little more averse to the second because, well, most of us are Westerners and, well, we're westerners. I don't quite think it can't be done, but I feel like you'd be scrutinized a hell of a lot more for going with route B as opposed to route A.

After playing a bit longer I think race is a valid reason to drive certain actions within roleplay, as long as its done appropriately. Foreigners scatter and hide at the very mention of "nationalists"

This is a little besides the point, but I had a group of people join my Teamspeak channel on DayZRP (randomly).

And they proceeded to say a lot of things about white supremacy, obviously I don't condone that, they finished with saying "white supremacy, welcome to DAYZRP"

I understand I'm relitivly new to the community, but the newer players of the community were doing that InTeamSpeak when that is not allowed, imagine what they will take it to in game, if they are allowed. (To a certain extent)

Everything is ''In-Character'' so a person should never take it to heart (OOC). Its more knowing when your going over the line or not, If your character was a bit goofy and less educated, racism role play can come of as good roleplay mostly if used in a decent way. Over using it can ruin it for yourself and get people offended.

To be fair.. If this was ever full on realistic.

I would expect a lot of racism to be going towards non whites + anyone from the middle east. Just byseeing Chernarus' location in the world and that region of the world is like and lastly the conflicts that have occurred around it.

I do find it slightly uneasy when I try RP and the slightest mention of black turns into a cliche "YOU BEING RACIST?" and was actually even USED against me. That being the most simple excuse they found. I think minor racism is fine as long as people don't go around saying "Ni**ar" or such. The most common racism I would expect from a region like Chernarus is probably homophobia, islamaphobia and antisemitism. Though if that was allowed a lot of people would have their feelings hurts.

To be fair.. If this was ever full on realistic.

I would expect a lot of racism to be going towards non whites + anyone from the middle east. Just byseeing Chernarus' location in the world and that region of the world is like and lastly the conflicts that have occurred around it.

I do find it slightly uneasy when I try RP and the slightest mention of black turns into a cliche "YOU BEING RACIST?" and was actually even USED against me. That being the most simple excuse they found. I think minor racism is fine as long as people don't go around saying "Ni**ar" or such. The most common racism I would expect from a region like Chernarus is probably homophobia, islamaphobia and antisemitism. Though if that was allowed a lot of people would have their feelings hurts.

If only it was roleplay > feelings

Our nationalists play a very valuable role in Chernarus while walking a thin line.

I have no problem with racist RP as long as it's done tastefully

And I would argue that there is no such thing as "tasteful racism".

Oddly enough, when I see people defend racism in role playing environments, it's almost universally because it's linked to an inherent desire to keep things from becoming too restricted in terms of what we can and can't do with our own characters. Which is ridiculous. On DayZRP we can't kill anyone without meeting certain criteria, we can't steal someone's vehicle without encountering and interacting with them first, we have to ask permission to force feed, scar, torture and/or execute someone, and so on. The entire system is built on rules that ensure that everyone involved gets something out of it.

As such, there are a billion ways to be hostile without resorting to blatant racism. The problem is that in order to unlock those billion ways, you have to be creative. Innuendo. Reference. Applied context. And on and on.

In this case, the OP enjoyed the experience. That's fine. In fact, that's great. It still isn't something DayZRP should ever interpret as acceptable as far as a violation of the community's principles go. I can honestly say that I have enjoyed a TON of RP here, and none of it involved anyone spouting off about "kebab eaters" or otherwise using any terminology that relates directly to real world racial tensions.