Sofie    0

Sofie Cohle O'Connor

Entries

1 - The End

2 - Learning the ways of survival

3 - All alone

Last Chapter of Sofie's Story

The end

For the last few weeks, Sofie has been wandering alone. She has not been able to get herself to go back to him, seeing him weaker and weaker every time she does. Her dear husband is not supposed to be weak. He was the man that rose above everyone else, and most importantly he was the only one that loved her. Now that he had been hurt again, she felt ashamed once again for failing her job in keeping him unharmed. What she did not know was that every minute away from him counted down to his death.

It had become a habit for her now; living out in the woods by herself only minding her own business and keeping a picture of her husband safe and happy in her head. She did not wish to face the reality out there, knowing that her mind would not be able to deal with it. Biting off the last flesh of a small rabbit bone, she stared into the fire and thought of him. She ran her cold fingers trough her hair before she leant against the tree behind her and smiled to herself. Maybe it was time to see him again, to feel his hands on her skin and to hear his calming voice, feeling like this was the drug that she needed to survive for so long in the forest by herself. She reached for her radio, the button so rarely used that it had almost rusted stuck. “Oisin baby… It's been another month without you… How is my precious doing?” Her voice is husky but genuine, loving him so much even if she is not sounding as sweet as she once did. She licks her lips and grabs a stick, drawing in the dirt as she waits for the reply that usually comes after a couple of minutes. She frowns and grips the radio once more after those minutes has passed. “I miss you so much, my dear husband… Let's meet again. I will come down and stay for longer this time I promise…” She grins to herself knowing he would like that.

The minutes feels like hours as she holds the radio close to her chest in case he will answer soon after that last transmission. When another couple of minutes goes by without hearing his voice, she sounds more worried and aggravated as she presses down the button on the old radio, “I can fix your wounds… I can make you feel like none of it happened baby”, she says despite the fact that she can't stand seeing his wounds, only reminding herself how he has been hurt so many times before. As the fire dies out, so does her patience. Her only friend, her husband, did not reply to her. Having no one else to contact she looked at the radio, tuning into a random frequency but not talking, knowing no one cares for a wild girl that followed her husband's lead blindly. She presses the button at Oisin's frequency again and whispers to herself and him, telling their story over and over again until the sun interrupts her with its sunrise.

He had never ignored her for this long and she knew her only chance to see him again was to go back. Back to the places where the scum crawled around making people like herself and Oisin suffer, and no, she was not thinking about the dead. Hiding in the woods, only moving at night gave her the chance to stay away from any contact with the people she wanted dead. She moved to every special location she and Oisin shared – Elektrozavodsk, Kamyshovo, Staroye, Black Lake, The Old Fields – searching for the only man she ever cared about, the only human she believed deserved to live. She took a short rest in the church of Staroye, remembering back to how Oisin surprised her here the day after their first kiss. Closing her eyes to bring back the picture of him, she does not notice the man before he stands close to her and opens his mouth, “Um miss?...”. The sound causing her to raise her gun quickly and aim at the man, seeing a figure standing on the road in front of the steps, wearing one of those stupid cowboy hats she despised. “Calm down alright.. I’m just looking for a girl named Sofie”. She narrowed her eyes trying to see the man's face, seeing if she could recognise him from somewhere. “Who the fuck are you?....” she whispers with a hateful voice, wondering who this man is and how he knows her name. “I’m your husband's friend...” He mumble and sigh, knowing there is no point trying to talk to her anymore. He reaches into his pockets, taking out a couple of dog tags, placing them on the stairs up to the church doors. Sofie's eyes widen the moment she sees them, knowing exactly who their owner is. The man looks up at her with sadness in his eyes “I’m sorry…”, he then tips his cowboy hat and turns, walking away.

While our bodies are equipped to handle a great many things in life, sometimes the situations are just too much. Our bodies begin to physically shut down and your body begins to prepare for a fight or flight response. For Sofie, there was nothing to fight for anymore without Oisin. She reached for his dog tags and stroked her fingers across them, rubbing away the dirt so she easily could see his name written down. You have probably experienced the feeling of shocking news, feeling the adrenaline rush through your body, increasing your heart rate, making your breath rapidly and you feel like throwing up. Together with this horrible feeling of shock Sofie also felt a blanket of darkness cover her mind. Making her confused and weakened, unable to fight off dark thoughts. Even if she could still feel her heart beating in her chest, she felt like one of them – dead – where life passes without any recollection. Sofie felt her warm tears stream down her cheek as she closed her eyes, tighten her fists around the dog tag. The exhaustion of knowing he is gone was overwhelming and unbearable. She reached for her backpack, hands shaking and her breath rapid, searching for any form of relief. Every second passing felt like she was eaten up inside. Finding an injection of morphine she quickly pierced her skin on her thigh with the needle, injecting herself with the pain relief. She threw the needle on the ground and grabbed another injection. Not being able to stand another second without him, she could not wait for the drug to affect her brain. Injecting herself with another dose of morphine, then another, another, another… 

Sofie had never felt this tired before. Even if she always used to stay up looking for him, worrying about him, none of that could be compared to the weakness she experienced now. She slowly licked her lips before leaning back on the steps of the church, smiling at the dog tags whispering to herself weakly “I told you I was coming back…”. She keeps her eyes on them as her breathing become slowly weaker. Resting her head back on the stone steps as she felt no pain or worry, just happiness for going back to her love.

1ac47afb27ea1b23fcff4381504d68da.png

Irish    80

RIP sofie, sad to see her go :(

Amazing read tho really do love it :)

Jamie    1418

Good riddance. 

That was an amazing read, great job. I guess you get some beanz for it.

Faith    730

RIP.

At least Oisin doesn't need his finger back.

Jabba    0

R.I.P Sofie...

Amazing read, keep it up.

*Tips his cowboy hat and goes to browse another forum*

Ronan    29

RIP Sofie, o7

Great read, very enjoyable

Roach    1645

RIP. This was a great read :)

- Together again...

Sofie    0

#RIP! great read

Appreciate the feedback! Her ghost will hunt you down...

RIP Sofie, great writing, you should really write more.

When you are getting so much support it is very tempting! Thank you :D

RIP sofie, sad to see her go :(

Amazing read tho really do love it :)

RIP the O'Connor couple.. you were a horrible husband ;)

Good riddance. 

That was an amazing read, great job. I guess you get some beanz for it.

YAY NOMNOMNOM

RIP.

At least Oisin doesn't need his finger back.

I really hope you didn't keep it! You can bury it by his body if so :)

R.I.P Sofie...

Amazing read, keep it up.

*Tips his cowboy hat and goes to browse another forum*

Thanks for the cooperation on this Jabba <3 #nr1cowboy

RIP Sofie, o7

Great read, very enjoyable

Thank youuu!

RIP. This was a great read :)

- Together again...

I'm glad you enjoyed it! Yesss finally

ScarletRose    5

:'( This was sooo touching! RIP

I really enjoyed reading this, Sofie. You are an amazing writer and I am looking forward to more...Keep it up! :)

Sofie    0

Preface: This is the beginning of my character Sofie's life in the apocalypse, where she after a lot of difficulties encounter a man that teaches her the ways of survival.

First Chapter of Sofie's Story

Learning the ways of survival

Sofie has always been easily persuaded. Her mother's long lost dream of becoming a doctor had been passed on to her, the less motivated daughter. She grew up to hearing that she had to work hard for her dreams and stay focused, even if it was difficult working to accomplish someone else's. For the first time since she started medical school, Sofie was actually looking forward to something. They were going to spend a few months practising what they have learned in a foreign country, where she picked Sochi in Russia to work on the growing HIV epidemic that the region struggled with. Not knowing that the region and the world were having bigger problems up ahead. The practice period mostly contained learning about the virus, while getting to know the city life and the locals, having more fun than she has had in a long time. But nothing good last forever. And while she was there, things started to change as people grew worried about the riots happening in the neighbour country Chernarus. Sofie felt like the work she was doing in Sochi were nothing compared what she could do for the poor victims of the riots. Even though she barely had any medical training, she had always been motivated trough several lectures by doctors who had done everything from saving children in war zones to risking their lives to prevent a disease from spreading. This was her time to shine and she was not going to let anything stop her, even if her family and university demanded her to come home immediately.

With help from local friends, she was able to locate where aid workers sent to Chernarous by Red Cross and Doctors Without Borders were located with their camps. Who as soon as they figured out she had any medical experience accepted her helping hand. Allowing her to do procedures she would never have gotten to do so early in her studies if she was home. Sofie loved seeing the gratitude in patients eyes as she believed that she was saving lives, forgetting about the danger she had put herself in. One late night as she was helping an old woman with a fever at the camp, she heard a horrifying scream from the entrance of the camp. Not knowing what was wrong she left the poor woman in the tent to see if her assistance was needed, only to witness pure panic. The woman that originally screamed was now laying silently on the ground in front of the gates with a shadow hanging over her. The shadow had the figure of a man, but as the guards opened fire on him he did not fall down like expected, instead he continued to run towards them. "RUN!" the guard commanded with a single shout before the shadow was at his neck. Everyone in the camp watched in horror as the few guards tried to fight back the horde of shadows approaching in the distance...

The camp had started to quiet down. It had been hours since the attack, but the fires in the camp were still lit. Making the shadows of the creatures who had raided the camp dance as they moved from one dead body to another. Sofie had done what she was commanded and had run as fast her legs could carry up to the forest line on the hill behind the camp, luckily unseen. Leaving her alone to watch everyone fight for their lives. Another hour went past before the fires died, causing the creatures to spread out, forcing her to move. 

If it was the constant running or the fact that she hadn't eaten for days that made her clothes feel looser she did not know. It felt like it all happened yesterday but she knew that she have been wandering around without a roof over her head for weeks. Being too scared to enter any city because of all the monsters crowding them. And if they hadn't brought enough terror to her eyes, she had also witnessed people like herself kill each other. However, when she left the camp she did not bring anything, and her days living off berries in the forest were coming to an end. It took her some time to gather the courage to approach the first village that she found safe enough to visit. Having studied it for hours, she did not spot a single monster. What she did not know was that the lack of dead often meant a large number of survivors. She tried to move quietly and effective trough all the abandoned homes without any luck. However, a small marked in the middle of the street caught her eye when she was blinded by the sun reflecting on something that looked like a tin can. Quickly making her way there she reached up for it, but as her fingers gently touched the can, her ears also registered a voice behind her, "How about you put your hands up and I will consider not hurting you", a dark calm voice mumbled. Sofie who had not heard another voice in a long time turned around quickly, only to see a tall man with a frown on his face. "Do you have a death wish girl? Hands up, now". Despite the fear she felt, she was able to raise her hands and keep her mind clear, wondering what reason this man had to be so hostile towards her. Her question was soon enough answered as he glanced her up and down, "I assume you don't have any food on you huh.." he let out a deep sigh and lowered his gun before giving her a softer look, "No friends either?". Sofie lowered her hands and explained the man everything that has happened, despite the fact she was not sure this man was trustworthy with her information, ending her speech asking with a soft voice; "C-could you spare me some food, please?...". The man smiled at her softly and shook his head, "Asking people for their food huh? You can't live like this... People don't share anymore if you want something you have to take it."

2942115dea5a05683ca55fa99b2d6f3f.png

Irish    80

Interesting read really do love it!

Keep it up cant wait for more hopefully :D

Sofie    0

Second Chapter of Sofie's Story

All alone

"Sofie take a look into his backpack... The idiot is probably hiding something in there as well". "No-no please! I need the little food I have!" the man begged as Sofie kicked him over. With his hands cuffed the man could not catch himself falling, his face hitting the dirt as Sofie straddled his legs, opening the backpack and grinning as she brings up several cans of food. "Fucking liar..." the dark voice mumbled and kneeled down next to the man's face, who tried to get words out, only to be shut up by the man with the dark voice pressing his face down into the dirt. "Oh my, we are eating well tonight", Sofie chuckled taking out two cans of peaches and placing them into her own backpack. "Why would you lie at gunpoint? Your stupidity will get you killed eventually, maybe I should just end it now?", the man says and grabs his hair, lifting his head up and placing the gun on his chin. "Please.... Take everything... Just let me go...", the man tears up begging for his life. Sofie, who were now on her legs ready to move on sigh heavily "Hey... Come on we have what we need...". He looks up with a grin "you are too soft Sofie...", he slowly stands up and smiles at her "how about you take control next time? Show me what you have learned so far...". Sofie raised her eyebrows and smiled confident, saying "no problem." as they both walked out of the city together, 6 food cans richer.

He had been teaching her since the day they met in the mall. In the beginning, it was difficult for her to do what he told her to do. But as she saw the outcome of the robberies, and how they now never had to go a day hungry or worried about not being able to protect themselves, she felt like it was the right way to survive these hard times. As they made their way out of the city called Stary Sobor and upon the fields, they spotted yet another lone survivor, in other words, an easy target. "You are up Sofie", he mumbled with a challenging sound in his voice as they approached the man. The closer they got Sofie realised that the man was not like one of their usual victims, but an old man. She stopped and recoiled a bit at the sight, but as her friend continues towards the man she knew she could not show weakness now. "Oh hello," the old man said with a soft harmless voice. Her friend who only had a pistol available quickly noticed the old man's gun and nodded towards Sofie, who immediately understood what he wanted from the old man. "Did you see my friends?" the man asked with his raspy old voice. Knowing that they had only met one person, who they did not treat well Sofie carefully asked: "how many?". To where the old man answered by naming his friends "Dan and a young lady Shey". Looking towards her friend, she makes up a lie to keep the conversations going "No, we have only seen a group of four and two different people we did not get the names of...". "Well I hope they are okay..." the man said, showing his caring side. Only making what she was going to do more difficult. Noticing her friend growing impatient, sending her a frown, she knew it was time to act. "Are your friends far away?" she asked, wanting to make sure there was no harm in asking this man a few more inappropriate questions. To where he confirmed that they were not around. She casually took out her gun not wanting the man to reach for any of his, "so... my friend really likes your gun" she says with a determined voice, no turning back now. "It looks really nice..." her friend says with a grin and pulls out his pistol, knowing what's Sofie's next move is. The man looks confused but clearly get the idea of what she wants from him, "Well... I need this, don't I?". Sofie shrugs "well my friend kinda need it to look after himself too," she says using the same excuse. The man then ask the question that Sofie though already was clear, "are you robbing me?". She smirks and raises her gun as she says "you can put it that way...". Making the man put his hands up after he has dropped the gun. Even with her gun at his face, he would not shut up about them making a terrible mistake. Sofie knew it was wrong to treat an old man likes this... heck she has always found old people so kind. But the norms that once applied was irrelevant now. As the man keep throwing out threats like he was the one holding a gun, her friend only became more inpatient and Sofie angrier. "You can tell your friends Sofie held you up", she mumbles when he complain, shooting a shotgun shell over his head to scare the man off "go!".

"I can't believe you just shot that old man's eardrums out!" her friend laughed loudly as they jogged towards the city named Vybor. Sofie let out a chuckle but felt unsure about what just happened, that man sounded so confident and she had a bad feeling this was not the last time she was going to see his face. When they reached the city they split up, him looking trough the mall as she went down the road to check out a few houses. Before she had found anything with value, she spotted a few men running into the city from where they arrived, looking into the windows of every house. Her heart jumped in her chest in fear as she ran back to the mall to warn him, but as she did she heard a voice yell "drop your fucking guns on the ground now, both of you, drop your fucking guns!" then the sound of a bullet cracking into the wall just centimeters next to her head makes her unable to speak. She then hears the familiar voice of the old man asking if they remembered him, "I remember you..." Sofie whisper, shaken down to her bones. While her friend could not get the grin off his face. For him, it was some kind of joke that so many showed up by his doings. Everything happened so fast that the next thing Sofie reacted to was him falling to the ground because of a bullet leaving the old man's gun. She gasped and stared in shock, "I'm sorry there my dear, did I break your concentration?" the old man said smugly as they forced her to step over her dead friend's body and out of the mall.

"What do you want to do with her Perci?" the voice that earlier yelled now asked the old man more calmly as they led her up on a hill. Her legs shaking from what just happened to her only friend, not being able to react to anything the men said. "Well... I've heard that in the far east. They have a custom of removing hands of thieves" the old man announced and looked towards her, his words making his friends chuckle by the though. They made her walk with her hands cuffed to an old tired barn where she kneeled to the ground staring at it, too scared to look up at them. "There is no reason for you all to point your guns at her, if she doesn't comply I'll beat her with this" one of the man said, slamming his baseball bat into the wall behind her. While the old man's friends around him try to scare Sofie with their weapons, the old man teases her for her dead friend. She feels anger building up in her. She raises her voice trying to talk back, a stupid move it appeared to be as it only pissed off the men even more. For a girl that have never experienced having so many people wishing to hurt her, she felt panicked and small, not sure what to say and do. The old man kneeled down next to her and moved some of her hair out of her face, "don't you fucking touch me..." she whispered weakly. The men laughing in a mocking tone as she could not do anything to move away. "You don't say much" one of the men said with a grin, opening up for her to lick her lips and raise her voice "whatever I say you won't let me go". But her voice is quickly talked over by the old man who raises his voice with anger, calling her out for not being the victim in all this "... can you just fucking wind your neck in and face the truth that you are a thieving cunt and a whore! If we let you go have you learned your lesson?!". The words hurt more than the beating she then went trough with. The men wanted to show her a lesson by doing it the painful way. Every hit with the baseball bat made her question everything that her friend had taught her about survival. Was what they were doing so much better? Sofie could not handle much of the pain and fell unconscious on the floor, handcuffed and left with nothing. When she woke up later that day her entire body was in so much pain she could not sit up, only curl into a small ball on the cold stone floor of the barn. She opened her eyes and glanced weakly towards the door of the barn, seeing it have gotten dark outside. Once again Sofie was on her own confused about everything and every norm that she had ever been taught, tears running down her cheeks as she felt so lonely.

5397410750debc89beb5bd6a3ffe6840.png

Sign in to follow this