Server time: 2017-08-21, 10:17

Sign in to follow this  
MagicMike

Standalone vs Mod

GreekGodx    120

Well mod had lots to offer from player made settlements such as Altar Castle, Raven's Nest, Solace, and Trade Post.

When modding tools come out for the Standalone. I can see the opportunity of people building their own versions of these once great locations.

Oyface    309

I've had some great times on mod. Earlier this year, they put up the mod server for just a few days or so, but I had some of the best RP I've ever had in this community during that time. We were living the sailor life, camping on the island and using our boats to travel to cities and raid for supplies. Few people were playing, so we ended up doing mostly internal RP, and it turned out amazing. It was just the three of us against a world of zombies, but we loved the shit out of it. We had a lot of good times out on the open sea as well, some great RP to be had out there. I can't wait until they add boats to Standalone.

Scooter    51

On mod there were patches for groups that would display on your arm and on vehicles (yes, actual working vehicles), there were so many different guns, hundreds maybe thousands. Not just 10 or whatever there is now. The running and movement felt a lot more natural and realistic. There were settlements and camps that people could actually make and were very fun and cool. And get this, the guns actually had realistic recoil rather than flying up in the air like you're trying to one hand it or something. There was somewhat of an infection system you could get if you were hit by a zombie. There were helicopters and biplanes that you could pilot and fly around the map and if you were in a group you could have kos rights for 2 hours even if you weren't within a kilometer. Mod was the best man, a shame you never played it

Pussy    312

There are definitely some perks the mod had that Standalone doesn't, and won't have for a very long time. This being said, I could never get into Arma 2. I don't know what it was... it just seemed clunky to me. 

I guess I'm just a scrubby whitename who prefers Standalone. Everyone get your torches and pitchforks ready :P

Ahh, back in the day mod was like opening the gift you wanted all year on Christmas day. Don't get me wrong standalone has it's perks, but the mod was just the first thing I was experienced to and it gave me so many good memories that over time I think the standalone will do that too, but I don't think it will ever compare to the way the mod did.

Prince    94

On mod there were patches for groups that would display on your arm and on vehicles (yes, actual working vehicles), there were so many different guns, hundreds maybe thousands. Not just 10 or whatever there is now. The running and movement felt a lot more natural and realistic. There were settlements and camps that people could actually make and were very fun and cool. And get this, the guns actually had realistic recoil rather than flying up in the air like you're trying to one hand it or something. There was somewhat of an infection system you could get if you were hit by a zombie. There were helicopters and biplanes that you could pilot and fly around the map and if you were in a group you could have kos rights for 2 hours even if you weren't within a kilometer. Mod was the best man, a shame you never played it

+1

Hollows    427

This has been reposted more times than my post count.

The Mod was great and has its own experiences behind it. The Standalone is great, and it too has its own experiences behind it. If you weren't around for DayZRP during the Mod, then don't worry about it. It was fun, but we will never experience it again. Youtube some videos if you want to.

zoyo    66

DayZ mod had a lot more in it, but I feel like DayZ standalone suits role play communities like this a lot better. Character customization and all that jazz.

I played the mod for a long time, and even though it has a lot more content I would take stand alone any day. I just find it a lot more enjoyable in general.

Dusty    1055

-snip- This being said, I could never get into Arma 2. I don't know what it was... it just seemed clunky to me. 

Same here. I started on standalone so that may be the reason it feels that way. Maybe if I had started on the mod, I'd feel differently.

iGROOCK    1

Mod is pretty much this nostalgic idea everyone likes to talk about, but no one actually wants to play it...

Guest Vittoria   
Guest Vittoria

Mod is pretty much this nostalgic idea everyone likes to talk about, but no one actually wants to play it...

Yeahhhh that's not true.... People still play it today anyways

iGROOCK    1

Of course they do, just like people still play MP games from 2005. There is always some kind of community around a certain game. Just saying when RP brought a server online no one played it.

Guest Vittoria   
Guest Vittoria

Of course they do, just like people still play MP games from 2005. There is always some kind of community around a certain game. Just saying when RP brought a server online no one played it.

85% of people who played the mod are rip so that doesn't help the fact

Alex    451

I never played DayZRP Mod, but I played a large amount of mod a long time ago and I loved the idea, but when standalone came out, no matter how buggy it may have been/has been, I liked SA more because the Mod had a huge military feel that I didnt like (yes, it was ArmA 2 I know). When you ran with a gun it was like you did high knees, stuff like that made SA a little more immersive and better for the Post Apocalyptic format. Mod is and always will be fun and all, but SA is almost where mod was, with base building it will be pretty similar, although SA's version should be better, I hope.

Mod had it's own perks, but it died.

Standalone has it's own perks.

It's like comparing gaming consoles in a way. People are going to prefer one over the other and will stick up for it no matter what.

My opinion, Standalone has more potential but Mod will always have the best memories for me.

Joules    229

Since I'm a 2k15er I never had the chance to try out the DayZRP mod servers. I did play a large amount of the mod in other communities as well as just a regular pub server. There was a lot of great times to be had in the mod, but eventually it became dull, and I dropped it like a hot potato the moment stand alone came out. Since then stand alone had been a back and forth for me, as I didn't have the motivation to play pub. All the people I knew had moved on and stopped playing, so I had no one to play in the pub with. I eventually grew tired and quit playing three or four times. I started playing up again and found the DayZRP server.

The mod had a lot of great stuff that I hope stand alone can fully implement, but it was almost an entirely different game. It doesn't feel to me like the same game at all, so it's pretty hard to compare the two.

Mod was good for RP and quick-gear. Simple game mechanics and the benefits of user created settlements - I do have to state however that the Trade Post just before mod's death was probably the worst thing ever implemented into the server, I didn't realize at the time but now I have seen how it affected other RP spots on the map. However, the server dynamic events, such as Council vs CTC were awesome! The amount of times you would grab and repair a vehicle, stash it somewhere, and hope when you relogged, it was still there was frustrating to say the least. I also had fond memories when I first played in 2013 on the DayzRP Epoch server.

When SA is released in full, I think it will be better. It has it's perks now, being more survival orientated with crafting and health status, etc and most definite, a lot more unforgiving to unwise choices. However, I do like the player interaction in SA, through emotes - I would have to say the community has become a lot larger and with an influx with great characters and personalities in SA. The bugs that can totally ruin your evening, such as randomly dying inside buildings is SA's major downfall. I really wish the DayZ team can sort out major bugs before putting in new content.. thats my take on DayZ. :)

I still play the s**t out of the mod. So many good memories were made on the mod, and if they were ever to bring it back again I would one hundred precent play it.

IrishGhost    2

I absolutely loved mod, there was so much content and when the server first started, every RP idea was original. No-one ever got told "Oh, I've seen that before." But at the same time, the RP and server has evolved so much in the past 2 years and the RP is so much better now.