Server time: 2017-08-18, 20:21

Sign in to follow this  
GaryCash

Question about Water Proof Bags and protector cases

Question

GaryCash    23

I read some where that they now work like barrels in this patch and you can hide them and use them to store things for days on end, is this true does anyone know?

Thanks in advance

8 answers to this question

Jester    48

Both the waterproof bags and protector cases act as storage.  The only difference is they need to be interacted with more often so they don't despawn. Last I heard the timer for both was set at somewhere between 5-7 days.

GaryCash    23

Thanks for the answer man! That's awesome to hear, they were actually the first couple things I found when I spawned haha

I just want to say, I hid one in a tree soon after responding to this and the tree ate the Protector Case, but the Water proof bag was hidden fine, just wanted to let people be aware, it might be best to hide it first, then put your valuables in it, just to be safe.

Ron    746

the tree ate the Protector Case

Make sure the item is really placed on the ground. Sometimes it happens with barrels as well. If you place the barrel and it floats in the air/ in the tree above the ground (same counts for protector case) there is a high risk for it to despawn quickly, i heard that from different people now. You can easily check it by laying down and peek in/under the tree and check if the item is floating.

If an item is simply "stuck" in a tree , it often helps out to swing your axe and chop the tree down. 

most of the time you can interact with the item again! :)

Nocheluz    104

Sounds as though you got your answer Gary. I'd imagine this will have to be played around with, as it does sound a bit buggy for now.

I'm glad the community could help. I'm going to mark this as solved, but everyone do continue to discuss as you wish. We can reopen it anytime if further questions arise.

//Solved

GaryCash    23

Sounds as though you got your answer Gary. I'd imagine this will have to be played around with, as it does sound a bit buggy for now.

I'm glad the community could help. I'm going to mark this as solved, but everyone do continue to discuss as you wish. We can reopen it anytime if further questions arise.

//Solved

Thank you!

Erik    93

Thanks for the answer man! That's awesome to hear, they were actually the first couple things I found when I spawned haha

I just want to say, I hid one in a tree soon after responding to this and the tree ate the Protector Case, but the Water proof bag was hidden fine, just wanted to let people be aware, it might be best to hide it first, then put your valuables in it, just to be safe.

For the record, if this happens, your protector case or other storage item is not typically gone, but rather glitched into the tree. Cutting down the tree typically will allow you to regain access to the container.

Try to be carefull - it was said, though not completely tested as the .59 hasn't been out for over a week (I believe), that most storage items will only stay for 7 days: tents, barrels, protector cases, ammo boxes, presumably drybags as well, unless they are interacted with (an item is put in or taken out). Backpacks despawn faster, though, not sure how quick exactly.