Server time: 2017-08-23, 02:33

Sign in to follow this  
Crew3211

An interesting idea I had on how to Roleplay.

Crew3211    4

The idea is that when you spawn with your character, simply have the Name and Player model chosen. Then, based on the first objects and loot you find in the game you formulate your character. The unique way to create characters this way can broaden your perspective from the usual RP character.

For instance one time the first object I found was a book, now I had to keep the book and figure out how it relates to me.

Try it out sometime. Tell me what you think of this idea, of whether or not it's a good one.

I see what you mean, such as if you find a firefighter helmet your character would've been a firefighter before the apocalypse. If thats what you mean it seems like a great concept, i'll have to give it a try soon.

It's an interesting idea, but what happens if the first thing you find is another person? You have to have some sort of basic backstory in mind before spawning or it'll be obvious in RP.

Yoshi    54

It's an interesting idea, but what happens if the first thing you find is another person? You have to have some sort of basic backstory in mind before spawning or it'll be obvious in RP.

That's when you scream out with joy about finding your long-lost brother/sister. Seriously, though, this does have its many flaws, as he mentioned. I believe that having a backstory in mind, and properly preparing for how your encounters with someone will flow, is better than just "winging it."

Beans...Guess I worked at a bean factory :)

But yeah, could be somewhat interesting to incorporate certain traits to a character.

Crew3211    4

I really think that if you're skilled at improvisation, this could be well done. I believe it's also great to use with a backstory.

zoyo    66

Interesting idea, it would be fun just rolling the dice like that.

I personally wouldn't do this though, I like having a long, structured backstory for my character before I take them in game. Playing with such little to go on might be hard unless you're good at improvising stories and such. Say you find a screw driver and a flat cap, what will you say if someone asks you where you're from, about you're family, etc.

Dogmeat    7

The secret is to never have a backstory. Improvise. I once had three people talking about me calling each other liars cuze I told them three different stories. ;)

Only   I need to know my backstory

Dingoz    41

Found a dress and a damaged car. I will assume the role of Kaitlyn Jenner, wish me luck lads.

+1

Beast7Gamer    0

Did something similar once, but it was that i had a character that had just recently received amnesia and they were still recovering so the character was essentially a blank slate, of course meeting people and stuff was weird since well, i didnt even know my own name. But after a while I kind of just assumed a name and went with it, trying to piece together a story from my surroundings and the people I met. Its definitely worth giving it a try since it can be very fun.

Pussy    312

Interesting take on character creation. Might be a fun idea for those who are well-versed in improvisation, but I don't think this is a technique to recommend to people who are newer to role play, or have trouble coming up with character ideas.

Joules    231

I personally like to have characters fleshed out well enough that I won't fall into any traps in RP where I don't know the answer, so this method probably wouldn't work well for me. If you do have the ability to do this successfully then I say give it a try. It might be an interesting way to make new characters. I could see this working to get the basic concept down for a character, and if you find you like the idea, then sitting back and coming up with a fleshed out backstory to fit the character and then going nuts in RP with your new thought out character.

So I won't be trying this, but I wouldn't mind seeing the results if you were to try this.

interesting idea, but the first object I found is rice. what do I do with that.

no I'm not joking, the DayZ Gods are making me become an actual Asian stereotype