Server time: 2017-10-21, 19:21
Safe Zone: CLOSED

Sign in to follow this  
Combat Logo

The Chronicles of the Nicest Guy in the Wasteland

Combat Logo    84

Logan sits in his house, the house he has called home for almost a month now. He sits there, thinking back, not to when he meet his friend he has today; not when he woke up in Electro, with no memory of how he got in that town with no signs of life in the entire town. No, he thinking about months ago, almost 5 months ago, back when he was still kind hearted, but not as outgoing as he was now. He stuck to his area, the little loop he had done for almost 2 months now, from his little house he would travel along the coastal highway. He would search the town for food, keep what he needed, and pass what wasn't on to someone who did. If someone was in need of medical attention, he would do what he could and make sure they got to a clinic before carrying on. Once a man taught him how to make a backpack out of a burlap sack and some rope.

But then there was a day different from the rest. Logan walked down the road, swinging the mosin he carried back over his shoulder, and slowed down to a walk. He was almost home, just a few more block, up a small paved road out of town and into his little house. He walks past a house with a open door, like a lot of houses around here. But as he walked by, he heard a faint noise, the sound of crying. He turns to see a small girl, maybe 10-11 years old, standing in the doorway of the house on his right. She stands there, with fear in her eyes and tears running down her cheeks; looking from Logan, then out the doorway, looking down the road, first one direction and then the other.

Logan steps forward, till he is about five feet from her, before he crouches down so he's at eye level with her.

"What's wrong?"

"My... My Dad... He said to run... I... I don't know where I am. There were so many scary people making scary noises at us." *Her voice is shaky from fear.*

"Well... I truly don't know what down where in, but I'll check my map. uhhh. I can try and contact him on the radio and tell him that your alright."

"But... but where will I stay... I'm..." *She cuts herself off, lowering her head as she does.*

"You can stay with me, and when he makes contact with me. I'll make sure you two are reunited."

"You... You sure? What about the scary people? They could come back."

"Well, I don't mind you staying with me, and if these people show up... I'll handle the situation." *He stands up and holds out his right hand to her.*

She takes his hand, wiping her tears with her free hand. They walk down road till they turn to follow the small paved road to his house. The memory is put to a halt when Lt. M. Emmrich kicks his foot, having completely ignored Jimmy while looking at the poloriod in his hand.

"Hey Logan, what are you looking at? Jimmy was asking you something and you completely ignored him."

"Oh... Just a photo from the past."

Emmrich steps over, next to him, and looks down at the photo. It's of Logan and the girl, standing in front of a small house, the sun shines in the background and they both smile happily.

"So... What's her name?"

"Her name is Mary..." *He looks down at it, his expression saddens for a moment*

Logan puts the photo back into his wallet with the others, and puts the wallet away as they get up to leave. Time to move, another task at hand... 

Brad    158

Nice first entry! Hope to see more soon!

Combat Logo    84

It had been almost a three weeks since he took Marry in, almost a two and a half since he sent out the broadcast in the search for her father. For the most part, he enjoyed having her around. He didn't know if he should feel like this. He had been alone, hiding from people, hiding because of what he had seen when this had all started. But now he has someone to take care of, and he didn't mind it. There was only one bed in his small house, so he was letting her sleep in it and he would sleep in the recliner in the corner of the room. He has also gotten to know her some more, and of the situation. He started taking her on his daily walks along the coast, since he felt that she would be safer with him than anything. Just as he predicted, the "scary people" Mary had talked about were zombies, which left the hope of finding her father very slim. With that, Mary seemed to have almost a paralyzing fear of them.

It was her third trip with him to the coast. Logan walks with his mosin in right hand --holding it by the mid section of the gun-- and carrying a duffle bag by the strap with his left hand. Mary walks along side him, it almost seemed that the fear and tension had finally left, as her attitude seemed more calm then the last couple days. They come around the corner when they both come to a stop; ahead of them --about halfway between them and the next intersection-- where four zombies, slowly lumbering around in the street. Logan, begins to slowly back away to get behind the build. He looks over to Mary, who has become almost frozen in place.

"Mary? Mary, come on." *He whispers to her.*

She just stands there, as one of the four zombies turns in their direction. It makes a horrific scream as it charges at them.

"Shit!" *He rushes in front of her and brings his mosin up and fires a round off, dropping it about five feet from them.*

"Mary! Snap out of it! Come on!" *He brings back the bolt, ejecting the spent casing, and chambers the next round. He looks up to, as now the other three zombies comes coming charging down the road. He fires another round, dropping another one. He repeat the process, raising his gun and dropping the next closes one. Before he can get a chance to chamber the next round, the last zombie was on him. He take butt of his mosin and smashes it into the zombies face, knocking it to the ground. He chambers the round and shoots it.*

"L-Logan? Are you alright?" *Her voice is shaky and she seems to finally snapped out of it.*

"Yeah, I'm fine. Hey, I told you I wouldn't let anything happen, didn't I?"

*She nods.*

"Come on, let's go home... I think it's time to teach you how to defend yourself."

"Logan? How's the girl in the picture with you?"

At that moment, everything comes to a halt as Chloe nudges his arm, trying to get his attention.

"Oh, her name is Mary..." *He turns the photo towards her.*

"Ahhh, you two look so sweet. Is she your sister?"

"No... But I'd say she felt like one to me..."

"So, were is she?"

"She's no longer with us... I... I failed her..." *His expression slightly. The fact was, he didn't remember what happened. His memory were still coming back to him. But even though he didn't remember, deep down, he could just feel this sense of regret, failure, and depression.*

"Oh no, I'm sorry. I-I didn't mean to bring up painful memories."

"No, no, Chloe, you don't have to be sorry. You asked a question, you have every right to."

From were they are sitting at inside the church, they can hear movement outside. Their not alone. Logan stands up and takes his mosin off his back. He looks towards the door.

"Logan, I think we need to leave."

"Agreed... So Chloe, where to?"

"Let's keep going west, Vybor maybe?"

Logan nods and they both head to the door. Before they leave, Logan looks back at her, and for a moment, he worries; the lingering thought coming back to him, "Is he doing the right thing anymore... Is he truly helping people, or is he just making life harder for people." He pushes the thought out of his head. He needs to focus, he needs to get her out of here. He opens the door, and they proceed to leave, ducking behind buildings, and slowly working their way out of Stary Sobor.

Keira    1457

This is great!

Guest Miles   
Guest Miles

It had been almost a three weeks since he took Marry in, almost a two and a half since he sent out the broadcast in the search for her father. For the most part, he enjoyed having her around. He didn't know if he should feel like this. He had been alone, hiding from people, hiding because of what he had seen when this had all started. But now he has someone to take care of, and he didn't mind it. There was only one bed in his small house, so he was letting her sleep in it and he would sleep in the recliner in the corner of the room. He has also gotten to know her some more, and of the situation. He started taking her on his daily walks along the coast, since he felt that she would be safer with him than anything. Just as he predicted, the "scary people" Mary had talked about were zombies, which left the hope of finding her father very slim. With that, Mary seemed to have almost a paralyzing fear of them.

It was her third trip with him to the coast. Logan walks with his mosin in right hand --holding it by the mid section of the gun-- and carrying a duffle bag by the strap with his left hand. Mary walks along side him, it almost seemed that the fear and tension had finally left, as her attitude seemed more calm then the last couple days. They come around the corner when they both come to a stop; ahead of them --about halfway between them and the next intersection-- where four zombies, slowly lumbering around in the street. Logan, begins to slowly back away to get behind the build. He looks over to Mary, who has become almost frozen in place.

"Mary? Mary, come on." *He whispers to her.*

She just stands there, as one of the four zombies turns in their direction. It makes a horrific scream as it charges at them.

"Shit!" *He rushes in front of her and brings his mosin up and fires a round off, dropping it about five feet from them.*

"Mary! Snap out of it! Come on!" *He brings back the bolt, ejecting the spent casing, and chambers the next round. He looks up to, as now the other three zombies comes coming charging down the road. He fires another round, dropping another one. He repeat the process, raising his gun and dropping the next closes one. Before he can get a chance to chamber the next round, the last zombie was on him. He take butt of his mosin and smashes it into the zombies face, knocking it to the ground. He chambers the round and shoots it.*

"L-Logan? Are you alright?" *Her voice is shaky and she seems to finally snapped out of it.*

"Yeah, I'm fine. Hey, I told you I wouldn't let anything happen, didn't I?"

*She nods.*

"Come on, let's go home... I think it's time to teach you how to defend yourself."

"Logan? How's the girl in the picture with you?"

At that moment, everything comes to a halt as Chloe nudges his arm, trying to get his attention.

"Oh, her name is Mary..." *He turns the photo towards her.*

"Ahhh, you two look so sweet. Is she your sister?"

"No... But I'd say she felt like one to me..."

"So, were is she?"

"She's no longer with us... I... I failed her..." *His expression slightly. The fact was, he didn't remember what happened. His memory were still coming back to him. But even though he didn't remember, deep down, he could just feel this sense of regret, failure, and depression.*

"Oh no, I'm sorry. I-I didn't mean to bring up painful memories."

"No, no, Chloe, you don't have to be sorry. You asked a question, you have every right to."

From were they are sitting at inside the church, they can hear movement outside. Their not alone. Logan stands up and takes his mosin off his back. He looks towards the door.

"Logan, I think we need to leave."

"Agreed... So Chloe, where to?"

"Let's keep going west, Vybor maybe?"

Logan nods and they both head to the door. Before they leave, Logan looks back at her, and for a moment, he worries; the lingering thought coming back to him, "Is he doing the right thing anymore... Is he truly helping people, or is he just making life harder for people." He pushes the thought out of his head. He needs to focus, he needs to get her out of here. He opens the door, and they proceed to leave, ducking behind buildings, and slowly working their way out of Stary Sobor.

Great read my man! Can't wait for Logan and Carl to start hanging out with each other ;)

Combat Logo    84

Logan sits at the fire with Jimmy, Dr. Rosenfield, and Lucifer. They sit there, everyone but Logan talking about this and that, currently something about the New World Mafia; while the town of Staroye can be seen in the distance. Logan reaches into his jacket for his wallet, and once again pulls out his picture of him and Mary, "It always seems to bring back memories when I look at it... Maybe... I'll get some more answers... or maybe... the one specific answer I'm looking for..." He stares at it, before a memory come to him.

Three months, give or take. Three months together, Logan and Mary. They had almost became family in this hell we call an apocalypse. She was like a little sister to him, and for her, Logan was like a kind older brother. They learned from each other. Logan taught her different things: from history, math, and other varies academic subjects, to sewing, shooting, and making fires. Mary taught him how to be himself again. For so long he feared helping people, from the horrors he saw when this all started, but she brought his true nature back out. "You're almost like a superhero! You lost you're way, but comes back to save the day!" That always made him laugh. "I'm no superhero... Just one normal 19 year old... Just trying to get by."  For those three months, life was almost... normal, happy, actually worth living; knowing that there's someone there who looks up to you, and needs you there to help them.

But then everything changed...

Like every other couple of days, they were on their supply run: searching house, cars, factory buildings, anything to help them get by. They were checking the last couple of houses, last town of the day. They enter another building, one of those apartments attached to the dinner/pub. Logan enters first, shouldering his mosin as Mary follows behind him.

"Alright... Let's hope we can find something good in here."

"Logan, can I start checking upstairs?" *She looks at him with a pleading look.*

*He raises an eyebrow to her, before smiling.* "Sure, you've been doing a good job this week... I think a little responsibility will be good. Alright, you get started upstairs, while I check the rooms down her. But be careful... If anything happens, call for me..." *He gives her one of his "I mean it." looks.*

*She give him a beaming smile before almost skipping to the stairway. When she reaches them, she turns and looks at him.* "You worry too much Logan. I'll be fine." *She begins to go up the stairs, taking them two steps at a time.*

*Logan sighs "Damn... She seems to always have energy to spare, almost makes me feel old sometimes." as he goes on with the process of checking every room on the bottom floor.*

Ten minutes roll by with Logan coming up empty handed. He gets up off the floor, after check under a dresser to see if anything rolled or slide under it when he hears a scream, a scream that shook him to his core. "Mary!" Without a second thought, He starts to run through the apartment, drawing his CR 75 from his holster, turning the next corner before taking the stairs two steps at a time. He reaches the top and runs down the hallway, her screaming growing with each step. He reaches the door way, pistol raised, to see at that instant, a zombie bite down on Mary's shoulder as she struggles to get away. BANG! One shot through it's skull, Mary immediately breaking free from it's grip and running to Logan, clinging to him, crying.

*Holstering his pistol, he picks her up, one arm around her back with the hand on her shoulder, covering the bite. The other under her legs. He begins to charge back down the hallway, down the stairs, and out the door; Running at a full sprint back home.*

"L-L-Logan... I-I'm sorry..." *She cries into his shoulder.*

"No, no, Mary, shhh..." *He runs up the dirt road the house in sight. With haste he opens the door, and goes to the bedroom, laying her down on it.*

He moves her shirt, pulling it to reveal the bite mark more. It's bleeding, it broke skin. "No! No! This can't be happening!" He gets out some peroxide and with a rag, cleans it, before bandaging it up. Once it's done he looks at her, knowing what's to come, and fearing it.

"Logan... Am I going to... become... one of them?" *Her voice trembles, tears streaming down her cheeks.*

"I... I don't know Mary, but I'm going to stay right here. I promised you I would." *He sits on the bed as she wraps her arms around him, still crying but holding her against his chest. He rocks her slowly back and forth, petting her head and trying his best not to lose it as well.*

He never left her, not for those two days. He sat there with her, he read her books (One of them being the Bible... He wanted to at least give her the chance to make it to heaven. He had to try.), talked to her, gave her the appropriate amount of painkillers to numb whatever pain she could be feeling. But the entire time, a constant battle went on in his head. "You know what you have to do... To free he from this fate and let her pass on without pain. I... I can't... Your asking me to shoot her... She's like a sister to me... I-I can't... If you truly care for her as much as you say you do, then you will put her out of her misery." The hours closed closer and closer, her state getting worst and worst. Weakly, she looks up at him, a look of both fear and acceptance in her eyes.

"Logan... *Cough* Logan, th-thank you... *cough, cough* for being the b-b-best big brother... in the world... *cough*"

*He nods, not speaking. Speaking would cause him to break down, and he couldn't do it... Not in front of her. He had to strong for her.*

"L-L-Logan..." *her voice gets weaker and weaker, as she slowly goes limp in his arms.*

He looks at her, gritting his teeth. Slowly, hesitating, he puts two fingers against her neck. No pulse. He slowly lays her in the bed and walks over to the dresser. On it sits a Makarov, the one she carried. He pulls his CR 75 out of his holster and puts her Makarov in it's place... He wasn't going to be able to look at this gun the same after this. He can hear movement behind him, and he turns to see her slowly leave the bed. But it wasn't her, those eyes didn't belong to the little girl he knew. Raising the gun, one shot was all it took. And with that, he drops to his knees, before the crumpled body of Mary, and cries, loses all control. The weight finally breaking him.

A single tear rolls down into his bandana as he stands up and turns away from the others, walking into the woods. When he gets out of ear shot, he balls his hands into fists, emotional rage and hatred for letting it happen finally erupting. He smashes his right fist into a nearby tree, then the left fist, right, left, right, left; he keeps going, ignoring the pain until he is left panting, drained emotionally and physically. He could feel his knuckles bleeding into his gloves, skin ripped off. He doesn't care, before slowly turning around and heading back to rejoin the group.

Combat Logo    84

The Reflection:

Logan sits on the edge of the bed, in the house Dr. Rosenfield has been living in for the past month. He was asked if he wanted to spend the night, and with what just happened, he didn't feel like going back and reliving it just yet. He sits there, his ghillie hood and top lay wrapped up at the foot of the bed, his plate carrier lays on top, to weigh them down. He rubs his head, trying to relieve the stress. Thoughts swirl in his head, but something starts to stand out, a voice. It gets louder and louder, before he can hear it clearly.

"Oh? Has the nicest guy in the wasteland starting to crack under the pressure?"

He tries to ignore it. It's like when you want to berate yourself. To make yourself feel worse. He continues to rub his temples, trying to relieve his headache.

"Are you going to ignore me now? Come on..."

"I'm not going to start talking to myself... I'm not losing it yet."

"Well, I can be that little thing that questions your actions, make you defend them. Come on, what else are you going to do?"

"..."

"Okay, Russia, you spent a week there. You and your dear friend Colt went there. And you killed 5 people. How does the "Nicest Guy in the Wasteland" justify that?"

"Colt heard there was someone in Russia that could possible help his mute problem, and we found him. An old man with a  wife and their granddaughter. They were kind enough to help, and half way through the surgery, they came... They told us they were going to kill us, it was either we came out and made it quick or they come in and make us suffer. I... I couldn't let that happen... I defended the house... and killed every single one of those fuckers... so now Colt can speak again, and an old married couple and their granddaughter are still alive. Good enough for you?"

"Hmmm, yes that will do. Alright, now you like to hang out with the Jackals. The people who killed two of your closes friends, marked you, mark others based on their belief that it helps people... That it makes them want to survive. How can you just be friends with them? No matter how nice you are, anyone would want revenge."

"Revenge is never worth it... It doesn't bring back the one's you lost... You should just remember the good time with them... With revenge, you only remember the hatred for the ones who killed them... And the Jackal's... My friendly neighbors of the north... They have helped me more than once... They accept me for the nice guy that I am, and know that I have been through enough shit and are surprised that I'm willing to help them for nothing. Their good people..."

"Alright, alright, I get it. Now, what about Chloe? You loved her, right? And she died, to Lewis Schultz, the Irish. Don't you want them dead? Besides, they have shot you, shot at you, and hurt your friends. Doesn't that give you reason enough?"

*He balls up his fists, the questions hit him like a bag of bricks. Even his voice in his head sounded half defeated.*

"Yes... I loved her... But she never truly loved me... She cared for me, yes... but not the way I hoped. Yes, Lewis is a fucking dead man if I ever catch him alone... but most of the Irish have not been seen, Lewis included. So no, no need."

"Good. And you got your family, The Trust. Although many have left, with Chief and Nyleea in hiding and only able to be reached through radio, Lt. Emmrich went into Russia, and others are just fading into the shadows. Jimmy is off, drunk in the woods; Yoshi is missing, at least as far as you know; Marshal is on bed rest, and Anne is at his side; Leonard is around, mostly... And you got your dear older brother Travis. The one that for years you thought died in a car crash just to learn that he faked it. For the government, but don't worry, he's going to make sure he doesn't lose you, even though you barely ever see him. And what of Gary Cash, Colt Cobell, George Munson, Wallis Childs, Ender, Tristen, Welden, all your dear friends who probably think your dead in some gutter."  *The voice has an almost mocking tone to it, like it his just throwing his failure in his face.*

*He just nods his head for a moment, his eyes closed.*

"Yes, Yes, my family might be spread thin, but their still my family... They took me in and accept me for who I am... They care for me, and I care for them. My brother, even if he's not around, is still my brother, and at least he checks up on me from time to time. My friends care, but they must help the one's close to them, I can just make sure their safe... That's all that really matters to me."

"Then how about more recent. Your wife, Megan... or should I say ex-wife... or now dead zombie chow of an ex-wife. Didn't you care for her? You were the one who ended it. Demanding that ring back and telling her it's over. No nice guy does that."

*He grits his teeth, furrowing his eyebrows. His blood begins to boil.*

"She cheated on me, no matter how she worded it. She even went far enough to say it was the right thing to do... For Fate, that FUCKING Synthesis Feyh so she would feel like someone cared about her! YOU DON'T HAVE TO FUCK SOMEONE TO LET THEM KNOW THAT SOMEONE CARES ABOUT IF THEY ARE ALIVE OR NOT! I WOULD KNOW! MY FAMILY SHOWED ME THAT THEY CARED BY BEING THERE AND TELL ME THAT THEY WERE THERE FOR ME, BY SUPPORTING ME! CHLOE SHOW ME THAT, BY JUST SHOWING THAT SHE CARED ABOUT MY WELL BEING! THAT'S HOW YOU DO IT! NOT HAVING SEX WITH THEM, THE ONE TO PROMPT THE FUCKING ACT! NOT SYNTHESIS, MEGAN FUCKING STARTED IT! BEING MARRIED TO ME, AND EXPECTED ME TO JUST BE LIKE "Yeah, sure. That's completely normal and reasonable." NO!... No, and I know you get out. You don't just slap them on the wrist and let them go on their way. Because they will just step all over you. I thank Marshal for teaching me that. So yes, I ended it. It hurt me, like no one would ever understand. It hurt even worst to stand on that hill, after chasing after her, to watch as she let that horde of zombies rip her to shreds. I loved her, I still do..."

*He just waits there, before he decides it time to ask a question.*

"If you are truly here to just make me feel like shit, then why are you so interested in my responses? That you almost don't even know what I'm going to say... Your just a part of my subconscious that is made to make me feel like shit. My conscious."

"When did I ever say that I was your subconscious or your own conscious? *The voice begins to laugh, the sound is almost bone chilling.* But I have enjoyed our chat Logan, and I'll make sure to have another one with you soon enough. But for now, I will let you go to sleep. Goodnight... Logan."

And with that, his mind goes quiet. He's alone, wide eyed, fear in them.

"I'm... I'm not insane... I'm not insane." *He says in a whispers, as he beings to run his fingers though his hair.*

Deegan    162

I liked it, also liked reading it to you. :)

The Marshal    353

You don't just slap them on the wrist and let them go on their way. Because they will just step all over you. I thank Marshal for teaching me that. So yes, I ended it.

Atta boy, I knew you had it in you. I'll have my replacement trained up in no time at all!

Combat Logo    84

Logan stands at the sink in the bathroom, dump out the water from his canteen on his head. It's been a long couple of days. His backpack, vest, mosin, and jacket lay on the floor behind him; He stands there, letting his stitches get air. The thought runs through his head: Irish; Lewis; that sword cutting down his back, straight down the center. The pain killed him, but it wasn't like he wasn't in this type of pain before, it just always hurt like hell. He puts his hands on each side of the sink, leaning forward with his head hung, breathing slowly.

"You know... You got you hell of a family... To have met the demands of Lewis and the rest of the Irish in return of your safety, instead of just letting them kill you... It's always good to know."

He keeps his head hung low, his eyes now closed, letting out a heavy sigh.

"So... Your not just a one time thing, but instead I'm stuck with having to deal with you... What do you want?"

"All I want is to talk Logan. Isn't it obvious?"

"Leave me alone... Just leave me alone."

"I'm not going anywhere Logan. My purpose isn't to just watch you 24/7."

"Oh yeah! Then what is it!"

*He yells this, even though there was not one around. He looks up to stare at himself in the mirror.*

"I'm here to talk to you... Logan."

Logan looks into the mirror, and what he sees baffles him. In the mirror isn't his own reflection. It was him, but different, instead of his eyes being blue-green tent like they've always been, but was a hazel brown. He had cut his hair short recently, but in the mirror his hair was that somewhat long hair he usually had. He runs his hand across his head, he could feel his short hair, but in the mirror it was still long. The hair was more blonde then brown, almost like a sandy blonde, while his hair had always been brown.

"Hello Logan... Looks like we are... meeting face to face... kind of..."

As it spoke in his head, the reflections mouth moved with it. It's expression was somewhat annoyed.

"I... I must be tripping... from the pain killers... This isn't happening..."

"It's happening Logan. We both know your not dumb enough to take dangerous amount of pills."

"Then why are you my reflection?" *He says with an aggressive attitude.*

"Because, your mind is making you see this. You are the only one seeing this. If anyone else was here... They would see you talking to an unresponsive reflection in the mirror."

"Then why do you look like that? Different eye color, different hair styles, different fucking hair color..."

"I don't know, you are the one fucking visualizing me like this... Although..."  *The reflection runs it's fingers through it's hair, then giving a grin.* "You know Logan, I don't look half bad."

"Alright, if your hear to talk, then talk. I'm not going to watch you admire yourself."

"Fine... Logan, should listen to Emmrich more than you have... He may not be completely correct, but he's got half of it."

"So, are you my conscious, or are you here to help me?"

"I'll tell you this, I'm not your conscious... I'm not around enough to be that."

"And I'm just suppose to believe that your here to help me. That you will just make all my problems disappear, that you aren't that fucking thing that is the first fucking indicator that I'm losing it."

"You were just thinking about everything you've ever done... That at every turn you fucked up, and that your a failure. Weren't you?"

*Logan just stares at this reflection, stunned, baffled, angry, pained, everything. And all the while this reflection stares back, it's brown eyes stare directly at him, it's face calm and unmoved. How did it know.*

"Logan... You did everything right... You did everything you could, and something's you couldn't control... Doesn't this sound familiar?"

"Yeah... It's the same speech I've given others..."

Just then, you can hear the front door open, foot steps can be heard.

"And this is where I live Madison. I don't know how far we are from were you stay but you can stay here for the night."

It was Rosenfield, the voice was always recognizable. And He could guess that he was talking to the girl that is now apparently his sister, Madison Mack.

"So... Will I get to meet this Logan person?"

*He sighs, walking to the door and turning to his stuff, picking up his jacket.*

"Isn't that the girl you helped locate?"

*He puts the jacket on, before slipping on his vest.*

"Yeah, but I'm not going out there..."

"But-but say hi, small talk, something... What are you going to do? Sit in here all day?"

*He walks over to the window, opening it, and sticking his backpack and mosin through and dropping them outside the house.*

"No... I'm leaving..."

"Why? Go talk to them! What is the reason to leave!?!"

*He walks over to the door, unlocking it, and walking back to the window. He climbs through with some pain and tension on his back. He stands outside, closing the window and picking up his backpack and mosin.*

"I don't need to bother them with this... And I need to figure out how to get rid of you..."

*He begins to walk to the wood line, the sound of laughter and conversations can be heard. Rosenfield, Madison, Jimmy, and Carl's voices can heard as Logan walks farther and farther away from the house.*

"So what? Your just going to avoid everyone now? Just make people find you?"

*He stops at the edge of the tree line, turning to look back at the house.*

"No... I'm just not in the right state of mind at the moment..."

He continues to walk away, each step brings a sickening feeling that he may actually lose his mine.

Combat Logo    84

Logan sits back against the wall, his entire body feeling sore from todays supply run. He looks over at his bed that is currently occupied by Eliane, who he had just tucked in not a couple minutes before. A brief smile crosses his face as he thinks about their conversation earlier.

"I may be a bullet sponge but I'm not going any where anytime soon."

"Good. Because I won't let it happen."

"Well, you are a trained navy seal with over 3000 confirmed kills and 23 tactical nuke kill streaks."

*Giggles*

"But even more than that, your my sister. And I'm going to be here for you." *He ruffles her hair slightly.*

"Okay... And what about you and your 'friend'?"

"We're just friends; don't get any ideas now."

"Yeah, sure. Come on! Your a cute guy. Just go for it!"

"No, no... Wait, what do you mean by  'Just go for it' ?"

"Just ask her out. Come on, it's like driving a new car, you just got to go and take the wheel."

*Chuckles.* "Well, we're just friends, besides, I don't think anyone would be into someone like me... Also, it would boost your ego too much."

"No, stop that, stop putting yourself down. Your charming, cute, and nice. What else could someone want?... Wait... My ego?"

"Yeah, because you will start to think that you are becoming Ms. Matchmaker. First with Jimmy and Miranda. And... Yeah, no, you can try, but I don't think anyone would take interest in me." *He wraps his arm around her and pulls her close; a smile on his face.*

*Smiles.* "Hey, any things possible, don't be so negative now."

"Yeah, Ms. 15 year-old French girl, navy seal with over 3000 confirmed kills, Ms. Matchmaker, beat the Lt. 6-to-1, and has currently beat me at least 10 time to me winning 0... And being the best little sister I could ever have."

*Giggle* "Thanks Logan. And it's more like 10,000-to-0 between me and you."

*Chuckles.* "Alright, 10,000-to-0. But I'll find something I can do better than you."

He digs into his jacket and pulls out an already opened envelope, on the front it says "To: Logan". He opens it and pulls out the letter inside, stretching out his legs with a groan, the bullet wounds still giving him problems. He unfolds the letter and reads it again. 

9lzO04F.png

He refolds the letter up and puts it back into the envelope, before putting it back into his jacket. He lays his head back against the wall, the pain starting to subside and the throbbing from the hole in his foot slowing down. He closes his eyes, one final thought going through his mind.

"Yeah... I don't think anyone would take interest in me... I don't think anyone would be into someone like me..."

Guest Miles   
Guest Miles

Great read my dood.

Combat Logo    84

A Friend... Or More...

"Uh.... Logan?"

"Yes, Eliane."

"I need to tell you something, but don't freak out, I'm fine."

Logan looks at her as everyone stops on the road to look as well. He could feel his hairs stand on end.

"Well... I... I was bitten by a zombie, but don't worry, I feel fine."

Everyone tenses up, and Logan immediately steps forward to Eliane.

"Alright, wait... Okay, we got about two days. If within the two day her condition gets worse, then we'll have a problem..." *He keeps a calm voice but he could feel his stomach drop and what was equivalent to a dagger piercing his heart.*

After a moment, the situation calms down. Eliane says that she is going to take a nap, and to Logan's dismay, she leaves. The three then continue to the next small little town, where the new guy, takes his leave, thanking them both for their help in Cherno.

Now it was the two of them, Rose and Logan. Alone. In a small town. Sure, Logan had developed feeling for her, and with Eliane's persistence that Logan ask her out, but also that she says Rose likes him too; that this would be like all of the stars aligning for the perfect moment. But Logan had his doubts. How could anyone truly like him? Really, for all he knew, Eliane was feeding him lies and it was all a shot in the dark. But that thought wasn't crossing his mind. No, all he could think about was that bite, and it's possible outcome. As Rose goes to the pump, Logan walks away to a long log house, closing the door behind him and entering the bed room. He walks to the bed and sits on the side, pulling his baseball cap and bandana off, and begins to run his fingers through his short hair. His hand shake, well, most of his body does. A breakdown was coming, he could feel it. Then there's a knock at the door.

"Logan? Can I come in?"

"Yeah- Yeah, sure... Come in."

"Why did I say that? Not now, not now, not now, dear God not now."

The door can be heard slowly opening, followed by Rose's footsteps as she makes her way to the bed room door. She peaks in at first, before completely entering and walking over to him. His head hangs, his hands in his hairs, body shaking with fear, pain and guilt. She kneels down in front of him, a look of concern on her face.

"Hey, Logan, What's wrong?"

"This... This can't be happening again. Not again. I can't let it happen again."

"What? What's happening again?"

"Eliane... The bite... I... I can't..."

"Hey, Logan, don't worry. Eliane's a tough girl, she'll be fine."

"But what if she's not? What if she gets worse? Not again.... Not like Mary... I... Can't..." *He feels like he's on the verge of tears, memories rip through him, images, sounds, pain.*

"Mary? Who's Mary?"

*He brings out the photo, the same one that has always kept.* "I... adopted her... Like a sister to me... And I couldn't protect her and... and she was bitten... And... And... I couldn't do it... I could put her out of her suffering... I just had to sit with her and watch her die in my arms. And then I had to shot her after she turned... Because I wasn't strong enough... And now Eliane... And-and what if I can't do it now... What if I can't and she suffers because of me."

*Rose stand up and sits down next to him on the bed. Wrapping her arms around him, she pulls him in and holds him. Logan doesn't put up much resistance, his body continues to shake as she holds him.*

"She'll be fine. And if she isn't... Then I'll do it. I promise you, that you will never have to go through that again. That you'll never have to go through that pain while I'm around. While I'm still breathing. So don't you worry."

*His shaking lessens, but a question arise in him.* "Why? Why me? I'm... I'm not special..."

"Because you've been there for me. And don't give me that 'It's just my job' shit, because if it was, then you wouldn't have let me follow you around, and slow you down like I have. You're a good person, you actually care and have taken care of me when most people would have left, and That makes you special to me"

And in that moment, bells went off in his head. An answer, or maybe... just what told him what he needed to know. That there was something, maybe, maybe a small chance of something. Rose lets him go and Logan body finally stops shaking. He looks at the floor.

"Uhhh... Rose... Can... Can I, uhhh... ask you something?"

"Sure, what is it?" *She turns her head slightly, giving him a curious look.*

"Well... I mean... You see... uhhh I... uhh" *He sighs. He looks at the wall, scratching the back of his head. The marks on his ears are visible, they closely resemble that of jumper cable teeth.*

"Logan, go for it!" *Was it Eliane in his head, or did he actually hear her for a moment.*

"Will... Will you go out with me?" *He immediately flinches. Gripping his knee with his left hand and clenching his right hand into a fist. Eyes closed. Waiting for rejection, denial, a slap, hit punch, something negative.*

*She blushes and looks caught off guard by how start forward he was.* Well, I mean... Are you sure? I mean I don't have the greatest history in relationships."

"Yes. I'm as sure as I ever will be..."

*She leans forward and gives him a kiss on the cheek, smiling at him.* "Then yes. I would be more than happy to."

*His muscle relax, and he begins to blush slightly.*

"Come on. We may want to get moving." *She stands up, holding her hand out to him.*

Logan nods, taking her hand and standing up. Following her as they exit the house. A certain 15 year-old French girl waits just a couple houses down.

"Maybe... Maybe there's still hope for me..."

Keira    1457

Good read dude. Did Eliane actually get bit!? I'm upset she didn't mention this to me D:

Guest Miles   
Guest Miles

BOOOOIIIII Elaine got bit? When? What? Whoag....

Brodie    43

It's all a lie, Logan isn't nice at all, he's a meanie, I swear!

Nawh man, only kitten, this is pretty good m8, keep it goin' ;) <3

Combat Logo    84

The Final Call Home...

Logan jogs along with Rose and Simon. Rose tells about her friend, and the conversation she had with her over text messages before the black out. Logan jogs along silently, his mind slowly being filled with the memory of that very same day.

*RING**RING**RING*

"Hello?"

"M-Mom? It's Logan..."

"Logan! Oh thank God! I've been worried sick! I'll be so glad when your home and safe and away from all that crazy madness."

"Mom... That's just it... We can't leave... They say it's for safety, no flights leaving, no flights entering. We're just stuck here."

"There has to be some way home. Logan, please! There has to be something you can do."

"No... There's no way out... I... Called just in case I don't get to see you again... I love you, Mom..."

"Oh God no! Dear God this can't be happening."

"Mom! Please, I hope this won't happen. Please... "

"Logan, I love you so much. I'll find a way to get you home. I won't lose you. I--"

*Blackout, dead tone, nothing.*

"Mom? Mom!"

*He tries to redial the number but no use, silence, alone.*

That day, was the start of Logan's Hell, the day he knew he wouldn't see his mother again.

Guest Miles   
Guest Miles

Well Carl's mum is dead sooo.... You're lucky Lel

Combat Logo    84

Doubt...

Logan rubs his head as he lays against a tree; his back feeling sore, and just feeling completely exhausted. Thoughts of recent events swirl though his mind, eating at him, slowly, continuously.

"Yeah... They still trust me... At least I believe they do..."

He looks down at the town below the hill, quiet, lifeless, as he continues to think to himself.

"Doubt... will change things... They will wonder... and I will slowly be seen as some type of traitor, or a psycho... I mean... I shot a 17 year old... she... she didn't deserve that..."

Shame slowly feels his eyes as he watches the town, his gun in his lap.

"I can see it, the hint of it, that Jimmy sees me differently now... Miranda will probably be the same, she cares for Alice as much as Jimmy does. Rose... I don't know if her jokes the other day were supposed to be playful... but I... I don't know..."

"Eliane thinks things will be alright, but... There's always the possibility for things to change..."

He looks down at his body, even though his cloths are on, mentally, he can see the scars, the ware and tear on his body. His expression saddens slightly.

"I'm... just an old, beat-up car... that needs maintenance every two weeks to keep running... I just... Need to... Start preparing..."

Logan slowly stands up, using the tree for support. He slings the gun over his shoulder, looking at the town.

"I'm... not going to make it... to be there for Eliane... to watch the group make it through all this turmoil... to actually make it through it myself... I'm just... too beaten up and worn down... I'm a bullet shield... sponge... whatever... I'm becoming more of a problem then an asset... But... I can leave them something... to help make it through this..."

He begins to walk out of the woods, towards the small town, a piece of a conversation come to mind.

"Eliane, you have to make it, to teach the next generation about how to survive... I'm not needed for that, all I'm here for is to make sure you get to that point."

"No Logan, stop talking like that! You are not going to die, you are going to teach the future generations; your smart, and I won't let you die."

Logan chuckles to himself, as he breaks the tree line. He mutters under his breath.

"Yeah, I'll just teach them how to get shot... Because that's all I am... A bullet sponge..." 

Guest Miles   
Guest Miles

NO. Logan is more than a bullet sponge! He's my bullet sponge!!!!!

Sign in to follow this