Server time: 2017-10-21, 23:25
Safe Zone: CLOSING SOON

Sign in to follow this  
Volke

Reports & Transparency

Volke    131

So I've spoken with a variety of people and some believe that they would be interested to see the process behind a report, the steps involved, how a verdict is based upon ect.  I can imagine there is no forumla to reaching a verdict but I thought perhaps people could see what goes behind the curtains. 

Example: Perhaps getting an old report of banned players, (could be an old report from Mod or early 2014 for example) or players who have given permission to allow their report to be looked at to show community members the process of the report system.  I believe it would be a valuable insight as to show people how things operate behind the curtains almost like a "behind the scenes.  This could potentially discourage ideas of staff bias, and other confusions with the report process.  Perhaps it could also overlook POVs as many people are not good at giving Full POVS.  I think this would overall take a step forward to connecting the community and staff and allowing the lines to become clear.

Like I said, it's merely a suggestion, and I figured I would offer it :).  Comment if you have a question, comment or criticism towards the suggestion as long as it's constructive.

Brad    158

Terra had a very informative post in a thread in October.  Take a look:

I can post the process of solving of a Report and ban appeal here. There is no secret.

Reports and ban appeals

If someone creates report, we first check the logs.

- Obviously to post them on the thread and to call the accused in.

- I would say in 80% of the cases, Gamemasters do this job.

- The accused will get a private message with the link to the Report and is asked to post their PoV.

The accused now has 24 hours to respond to the Report

- If he does not respond, the account gets temp banned from our Servers (If the person logs into the Server, he will see the message "Report POV"). After another 24 hours with no answer, the Report can be closed and the accused has to create a ban appeal in order to give his POV and get unbanned.

- If the accused does respond, the temp ban will be lifted.

Sometimes we will temp ban a account right after we posted the logs.

- If the accused did not log into the forum for over a week.

- In cases of really bad trolling, mass KoS or things like that, we also can temp ban straight away to get the attention of the accused.

We wait for everyones POV, we ask questions to try to understand. There are cases where we cannot find out what actually happend because the stories are different, the logs show only what both said in chat, but nothing more.

In cases like this we cannot take one word over another and the report most likely will end up word against word.

We always try to understand a situation - somtimes a video can be good evidence, sometimes they show nothing.

Now, like Roman said, there a rules within Staff when it comes to Reports/ban appeals.

This rule applies to everyone in Staff - from CH to Admin.

A. Let´s say I am in the Clan called the "XX" and my clan gets reported.

1. If I was with them ingame at the time the situation happend, I have to state my POV like everyone else.

2. I am not allowed to post in thread notes (will explain later)

3. I am not allowed to be involved in the verdict.

B. Let´s say I was offline to the time my Clan was reported.

1. I am not allowed to post in thread notes.

2. I am not allowed to be involved in the verdict.

Let´s say my clan and/or I are not involved, this means I can be part of the verdict, I can read the report for myself and post somethng in the thread notes.

It is a "box" which is above every Report, ban appeal and thread.

I can open this box and post for example:

[Terra] Looking at the logs, it seems the accused did combat log. I think the roleplay was fine but he should not have combat logged. I would support a standard CL punishment. All evidence is given - moved thread to pending.

Someone else would write directly under my statement:

[Conor] The combat log seems clear by the logs. I will call someone in as I have recieved a private message. Moved back to not solved.

Only Moderators and higher can see this "note box". Thread notes are not used for discussions.

Discussion normaly happen in TS + Slack chat.

Now, if we think a report is ready to be solved as we have everything needed (every POV, every question is answered, all evidence (videos and logs are given)) we move the Report to Pending.

Example:

Kattica would come online, looking through the report section and wants to solve this Report. She cannot do it alone. She at least needs one more GM or Admin. Most of the time more then 2 people are involved. I can safely say that the most of the time 3+ GM´s and Admin are involved.

Everyone reads the report and of course the thread notes. They discuss the outcome, compare it to the rules and try to find a good solution for everyone.

Not every case is "clear" and sometimes the discussions can be very heated and long.

I think my longest discussion was a verdict not too long ago. Sung and me investigated, wrote, discussed for 8 hours till the verdict was finished.

In my example, they would come to the conclusion - Combat log guilty, BadRP not guilty.

Let´s say for example it was Kattica, Ark and me who discussed the verdict - Kattica says "I can write". Ark and me wait untill Kattica is finished with her verdict. Before posting, she has to show it to us.

Ark would say "Yes Kattica, well explained".

I would say "Maybe make a statement about the RP, it's a 2 way street, so it is more understandable"

Kattica will change her verdict and add what I have suggested (if both agree).

Because we are a team, I would send the Private message about the points and Ark would add the ban to the Server, Kattica would post her verdict.

Now a very important part comes, at least in my opinion:

We have to add to the threadnotes:

Solved by Kattica, Terra and Ark

Why is that important?

Everyone is allowed to create a ban appeal. In a ban appeal the person should provide new evidence and/or point out where he thinks the reviewing team made a mistake or judged incorrectly.

Let´s say the person will create a ban appeal because he has evidence that he spoke to the OP´s party during the situation and they gave him permission to leave and log out of the Server.

( Now I realise the example was not a good one...however, you get what I mean - For some reason this was not mentioned in the Report, or Kattica, Ark and me did simply not see it)

The banned person posted a ban appeal.

The ban appeal is posted and Conor wants to see what the Ban appeal is about.

As in every ban appeal the link to the original Report should be linked, he now can now see that Kattica, Terra and Ark solved the Report. That means Kattica, Ark and me can´t handle the appeal and we also cannot post in the thread notes of the ban appeal.

1. I am not allowed to post in thread notes.

2. I am not allowed to be involved in the verdict of the ban appeal.

A new team will look over the verdict we made.

A different GM/Admin team, who was not involved in the original verdict looks over and they check:

- The original Report, reading it over to become familiar with the case

- The ban appeal and possible new evidence

- If the verdict of the Report was justified

Now, in my example, there is new evidence. Conor + 1 other GM or Admin would have to solve this ban appeal (remember that he cannot do it alone) and overturn the verdict of Kattica, Ark and me.

In general:

When it comes to a verdict, Report or ban appeal, we not only want to state what everyone has done wrong, we also want to give suggestion to make it better next time.

I hope my explanation could clarify some concerns you have. Just ask if you have more questions.

Terra

LE' Source http://www.dayzrp.com/t-Forum-drama-radio-abuse-salt?pid=1281237#pid1281237

Perhaps we can come up a report to give an example on, but it will need a bit of work, and discussion.  If people agree we'll see what we can come up with.

Any questions fire, away.  

We'll answer them, if possible.

Volke    131

-snip-

I didn't know that: and perhaps it should be in somewhere like guides ect, or somewhere more easily accesible than having to search forum threads :P

I was thinking it would also be effective over the Q&A as a few minutes, of looking over a reported post: while reading it is one thing, I think actually looking over and old report , publicly in a video was what I meant. Seeing the disputes, variety of opinions, ect. But this is also nice to have thank you :). I'd like you to comment on it as well.

Brad    158

-snip-

I didn't know that: and perhaps it should be in somewhere like guides ect, or somewhere more easily accesible than having to search forum threads :P

I was thinking it would also be effective over the Q&A as a few minutes, of looking over a reported post: while reading it is one thing, I think actually looking over and old report , publicly in a video was what I meant. Seeing the disputes, variety of opinions, ect. But this is also nice to have thank you :). I'd like you to comment on it as well.

A video might be a good idea to give a rundown on what goes on.  Even if we made up a few mock reports or reported posts.  Definitely something to discuss and see what can be made clearer.  Staff activity shouldn't be Illuminati secretive.  There is obvioulsy going to be things we don't want to divulge, but the overall process shouldn't be a mystery to the community.

Volke    131

-snip-

A video might be a good idea to give a rundown on what goes on.  Even if we made up a few mock reports or reported posts.  Definitely something to discuss and see what can be made clearer.  Staff activity shouldn't be Illuminati secretive.  There is obvioulsy going to be things we don't want to divulge, but the overall process shouldn't be a mystery to the community.

This is exactly what I meant ^^ Thank you for your thoughts Brad.

One problem that would arise is as admins make notes of what issues are at hand/pique their interest and affect their decision making - people will actively address and either withhold or exaggerate certain facts to influence those points specifically.

There are enough back and forth posts in reports; it should simply be each involved person posts a single POV. Staff read them and make requests for parties to elaborate on certain facts.

Simple.

Mods are the jury in this 'court room'. Their deliberation should not be made public.

Terra    1449

I like the idea that Brad suggested.

Volke    131

I like the idea that Brad suggested.

As Do I :P, Excited to see what's in the works!

Alex    465

It's quite cool to know the process, interesting to say the least.

Kaplyn    0

-snip-

I have a question for you,Kattica, Autumn, or Voodoo. Or an admin.

Lets make up a quick example. Person A and B and C initiates on person D and E. D and E is taken hostage. A and B is roleplaying with D and E while C is controlling the surrounding area.

D and E the hostages are afterwards very salty as people usually are and complains they did not get any rp OR that the rp was boring.

Which of person A, B and C would in this case be involved in a verdict?

In this case person C never directly involved himself with the hostages.

Obviously this question is lacking tons of information, but i just want to know the process when there is multiple suspects. Who will get punished for what? Will staff just be lazy and do a verdict on all the suspects since 'they were involved in the situation'? Or will there be an individual verdict for each of the suspects?

Mamba    0

I have a question for you,Kattica, Autumn, or Voodoo. Or an admin.

Lets make up a quick example. Person A and B and C initiates on person D and E. D and E is taken hostage. A and B is roleplaying with D and E while C is controlling the surrounding area.

D and E the hostages are afterwards very salty as people usually are and complains they did not get any rp OR that the rp was boring.

Which of person A, B and C would in this case be involved in a verdict?

In this case person C never directly involved himself with the hostages.

Obviously this question is lacking tons of information, but i just want to know the process when there is multiple suspects. Who will get punished for what? Will staff just be lazy and do a verdict on all the suspects since 'they were involved in the situation'? Or will there be an individual verdict for each of the suspects?

Well when I was still in staff it was really simple. Things like role playing with the hostage is not a one or two person thing, everybody involved with the robbery should be roleplaying with the hostages. I know that sounds generic as fuck, but honestly that is something that everyone in the hostile parties group is responsible for. Obviously it's not always easy to roleplaying with a hostage during a firefight or some shit, but that's why you keep somebody focused on them all times. Preferably someone who is talkative and can keep the roleplaying interesting. Again, as you said yourself that there is so many variables in a situation like that and it really depends on those details and what we as staff at the time could prove.

I can say that we never did lazy work and that all verdicts are handled by multiple GM and/or admins

Hellish    0

Seems pretty straight forward tbh. Discuss whether someone broke a rule. If they did then solve the report, and either someone gets banned or they don't.