Server time: 2017-10-21, 05:08
Safe Zone: CLOSING SOON

Sign in to follow this  
APureGamer

RP over Cosmetic?

APureGamer    55

So we all know patch .59 came out. THANK YOU GOD. 

But i personally am having a problem with GasMasks. I see ALOT of people wearing the new GasMask and it is very cool. But most the time when i ask them "Why are you wearing a gasmask? They give me a half assed answer with little to none background involvement. Now if you want to wear a GasMask to just wear one that is fine! That is your choice, Play your character how you would like. But personally i feel if i walk up to someone and there voice is the same and They dont have any Background reason to wear it. Then why go through all the side affects? IE- Gasmask is very hard to breath out of, It obstructs your vision, it makes you intimidating.  IMO if you're going to wear a GasMask have it bring some RP value. Change your voice a little? Give a good Background reason? EVEN play the "Paranoia" Card. But give me a DECENT reason other then me sitting there laughing because a guy who was a hunter is wearing a GasMask for "Looks"

SO- 

Whats your opinion? Do you think people should have MORE RP reason's for wearing items in game? If you have a GasMask on should your voice change? OR does it really matter, Does it not affect your RP?

Johnny    0

Meh if people like wearing them I don't really care. If it breaks your immersion that they are doing it I don't know what to tell you because people are not going to stop. Some people wear silly things and I find it best just to go along with it. Did you feel the same about the old gas mask?

Faith    732

To be honest this is your opinion. An opinion is an opinion, no one is wrong no one is right.

This is a community full of different people, some people do not have the skill to do voice change. Why is it just this gas mask you only bring up? Why not the respirator or the 'original' gas mask? Or even face masks getting caught in someones mouth to be more specific?

I roleplayed a vet surgeon who has a fear that the air is polluted with the virus or that she will  be infected (when I did play her). But some characters may just where it for the looks, maybe they just don't want to tell you because it's personal to them in-character.

Everyone is different, if we were all to have the same excuse we'd probably be rolling our eyes like 'Here goes the same old story again.' You can't please everyone and everyone can't please you as I see it realistically, we're individuals who have different lives/stories/opinions so on so fourth.

Divinity    2

I can see where you are coming from, and personally I think that a change of voice would be ideal. Although, there will be people that are incapable of maintaining the same muffled tone through their mask from a OOC sense for a prolonged period of time. I feel that it doesn't necessary disrupt the immersion if their voice isn't changed due to their mask, but I also agree firmly with your previous statement.

If you are wearing a gasmask, military gear, or anything on a Pub server that you would consider "high value", you should at least develop a decent answer as to where you got it or why you keep it. Most people do not flesh out details like that, and the result is a half-ass answer. So I agree, players would do well to formulate abit of information about their character's appearance aswell as mannerisms.

APureGamer    55

Ehh i meant everything in general. and i dont want anyone to STOP. i just feel this could bring such GOOD RP if they took time to maybe try and change there voice. OR give a good RP reason.

Faith    732

Some people don't have the skills to change their voice. Such as myself. Some people have the ability some do not, just RP out they have a muffled voice such as the gas mask if they don't have the voice changer. RP is about imagination :D

Divinity    2

To be honest this is your opinion. An opinion is an opinion, no one is wrong no one is right.

This is a community full of different people, some people do not have the skill to do voice change...

Once again, it can create immersion but it doesn't break it either. If it were an easy task I'm sure many more people would be providing this experience for you APureGamer. However, as quoted above not everyone has the ability to voice change for their character, let alone simulate a gasmask / face cover. But an RP reason as to why or how you came across said item, no matter what it is, is something people should definitely try to provide.

APureGamer    55

Some people don't have the skills to change their voice. Such as myself. Some people have the ability some do not, just RP out they have a muffled voice such as the gas mask if they don't have the voice changer. RP is about imagination :D

Yes i agree!

Alright i see alot people think it "Breaks my immersion" OR I want it to stop. None of this is true. I want to know what people think. Do you think there needs to be more RP based cosmetic instead of "This looks cool" or do you think it is fine? IDC what people wear. I want everyone to express thereself in this community because thats what RP is about. But if i walk up to you and say "Hey, Whats your name.. Blah.. Blah... Blah". "Oh thats a cool gasmask! Why do you wear it? And you say "Because the are is Toxic." It seems half assed and just kinda makes me want to walk away. Instead of being like "I was burned as a kid" OR "It was a dark time in my life" Something that keeps me intrigued and creates RP.

Joules    274

I haven't really run into too many people wearing any of the gas masks, so I don't exactly have any ground to comment on. However, when I have run to a small few of them, I usually just give them the benefit of the doubt. I won't ask why they have the gas mask, nor will I comment about their voice. Sometimes you just gotta suspend realism for the sake of having a functioning community. To me it's just not that big of an issue, and it ignoring it will IMO allow for better RP on both ends. Making a comment about someones clothing like that, you already know the answer you're going to get, so why bother? It will just make the RP awkward for both parties involved. This is the same reasoning I use for not using another language in game if I hear someone with an obvious accent. I've done it once before early on in my RP career and I heard crickets instead of a response.

Roach    1648

This doesn't bother me at all and I choose to ignore it most times. But every time I've asked a person why they wear a mask (Any Kind) they usually provide a pretty good reason with it. When you ask them, you put them in the spotlight making them HAVE to come up with a reason and so far I've gotten good ones. But not everyone is good with "on the spot" explanations and thus you get what YOU call "Half Assed Answers" and all we can do is deal with it.

But right now, there's a new gas mask, it's a big deal apparently, but the hype will lower and face will be uncovered again ;)

Guest Falcon   
Guest Falcon

Just pretend they aren't wearing one if it bothers you so much

Brad    158

Zombie apocolapse an infection just took out the world.

I think there would be a few people wearing the gas mask who would refuse to take it off, solely for that reason.

SatansNightOut    105

Personally, with as much splash gore and ichor that comes with slaughtering the Infected, a gas mask provides enough protection so splatter doesn't get in your eyes or mouth. I'm not a scientist, but even watching The Walking Dead and seeing some gore or dead blood get on their faces or in their mouths, I cringe and wonder. Besides, I imagine e a gas mask helps dampen the blows Infected haphazardly toss around when they're in your face, raining fists on you.

Matt    24

A gasmask is not that complicated buddy to be fair. They are nice eye protection and in this world shrapnel, ricochet, or even blood getting in the eye are common. And the whole "Your voice changed when putting a gasmask on" That is not really true, it will muffle you but speaking loud enough it would sound the same as if you are wearing a bandanna or any other type of face mask. I have noticed when I do wear a gasmask IRL I am actually louder than when I have a tight bandanna around my mouth.

So ye its not really a thing everyone can do, not everyone wants to do the effort and sound like optimus prime when they put on a specific clothing item ingame cus thats a bit of a ball ache in my opinion. Leave em to it and let em play how they want to, its not laziness its just a matter of choice.

SatansNightOut    105

A gasmask is not that complicated buddy to be fair. They are nice eye protection and in this world shrapnel, ricochet, or even blood getting in the eye are common. And the whole "Your voice changed when putting a gasmask on" That is not really true, it will muffle you but speaking loud enough it would sound the same as if you are wearing a bandanna or any other type of face mask. I have noticed when I do wear a gasmask IRL I am actually louder than when I have a tight bandanna around my mouth.

So ye its not really a thing everyone can do, not everyone wants to do the effort and sound like optimus prime when they put on a specific clothing item ingame cus thats a bit of a ball ache in my opinion. Leave em to it and let em play how they want to, its not laziness its just a matter of choice.

Agreed. Just use your imagination and try not to overthink or over analyze it. You'll just take the enjoyment out of it for yourself.

APureGamer    55

Ehh it doesnt really bother me. Its just the fact that it could add ALOT of RP value to situations and i feel nobody is utilizing it.

Sofie    0

Honestly the gas masks looks really cool and I have no problem with people wearing them. But my character wants to see peoples pretty faces to recognize them later, so I do often ask them why they wear them and tries to get them to take it off.

Guest Kenji   
Guest Kenji

RP over everything. :D

You can find the stuff you need while you. RP

Just make up a story on how you got robed or fell into a pile of corpses and your good.

zoyo    70

Whenever I see someone wearing a gas mask they usually say they're scared that the infection is airborne and they dont want to catch it. Usually something along those lines. It would be nice to hear something new.

it's your opinion first of all,second of all people play how they like. I show up with barely anything on me all the time, freak the living shit out of people.

for me, people running at the same speed with a mountain backpack without stumbling or tripping is breaking my immersion but i have to remember it's a game.

so don't bother, sooner or later people are going to realize that it's stupid and stop wearing them. the patch only been out for 1 day, hell people are even looking for the scorpion

Dolphin    7

If I meet someone with a gas mask I always think that there is a reason behind it, IC'ly of course. But OOC'ly I believe that if you are wearing a gas mask because it looks cool and it doesn't fit your character you shouldn't wear it (unless you are trying to go for that look). When I  see said person with a gas mask on my impression is what I am going to remember about said person in the future (that is I even do remember said person), a mysterious guy with secrets, or is just scared of the infection but instead you are a really nice guy. this also applies to weapons for me also, if you want a new gun that was just released or any weapon, do not get rid what fits your character. If I  meet a pacifist with a fully decked out M4 i'm going to be a little confused.  

Overall take in account what your characters story is in the things that he/she carry, don't be a pacifist running around with an M4, spiked baseball bat, and 2 pistols in your vest.

Please carry what fits you character.

(THIS IS MY OPINION)

APureGamer    55

If I meet someone with a gas mask I always think that there is a reason behind it, IC'ly of course. But OOC'ly I believe that if you are wearing a gas mask because it looks cool and it doesn't fit your character you shouldn't wear it (unless you are trying to go for that look). When I  see said person with a gas mask on my impression is what I am going to remember about said person in the future (that is I even do remember said person), a mysterious guy with secrets, or is just scared of the infection but instead you are a really nice guy. this also applies to weapons for me also, if you want a new gun that was just released or any weapon, do not get rid what fits your character. If I  meet s pacifist with a fully decked out M4 i'm going to be a little confused.  

Overall take in account what your characters story is in the things that he/she carry, don't be a pacifist running around with an M4, spiked baseball bat, and 2 pistols in your vest.

(THIS IS MY OPINION)

What ive been saying the whole time! People are sitting there saying "Im a doctor" YET they have a Plate carrier and a M4 i just dont see a doctor having that. Like i said its my opinion and its your character play it how you want. But if im confused why you're wearing something, Ask yourself if that really fits your Character. Now everyone sitting here talking about the GasMask that was just a Item i used to make a point. Because lets be Honest. We all are Navy Seal Snipers.

When-you-see-it-Sniper.jpg

Mathematics    0

If I meet someone with a gas mask I always think that there is a reason behind it, IC'ly of course. But OOC'ly I believe that if you are wearing a gas mask because it looks cool and it doesn't fit your character you shouldn't wear it (unless you are trying to go for that look). When I  see said person with a gas mask on my impression is what I am going to remember about said person in the future (that is I even do remember said person), a mysterious guy with secrets, or is just scared of the infection but instead you are a really nice guy. this also applies to weapons for me also, if you want a new gun that was just released or any weapon, do not get rid what fits your character. If I  meet s pacifist with a fully decked out M4 i'm going to be a little confused.  

(THIS IS MY OPINION)

What ive been saying the whole time! People are sitting there saying "Im a doctor" YET they have a Plate carrier and a M4 i just dont see a doctor having that. Like i said its my opinion and its your character play it how you want. But if im confused why you're wearing something, Ask yourself if that really fits your Character. Now everyone sitting here talking about the GasMask that was just a Item i used to make a point. Because lets be Honest. We all are Navy Seal Snipers.

When-you-see-it-Sniper.jpg

A lot of people who've survived this long will likely use ANYTHING at all. There is -no- defined look for, example, a doctor, fireman, postman, or etc.

Dicey    5

I might ask why they have it, to make RP out of it if things get quiet, but I have no strong opinions about it. I've only met a handful wearing gasmasks.