Server time: 2017-10-19, 23:45
Safe Zone: CLOSED

Sign in to follow this  
johnm5425

Forum Reports?

Are Forum reports a better way to handle potentially offensive posts on the forum?   

27 members have voted

1. 1. Are Forum reports a better way to handle potentially offensive posts on the forum?

• yes
    • no

johnm5425    2

Seen a couple of cases lately of people receiving points for 'Banter' on the forums. I mean I know the staff do it to ensure the forums keeps it community feel. Well what I was wondering is why aren't there forum related reports, meaning a person can report what they find offensive instead of Staff assuming somethings offensive and giving warning points.

So whats everyone else's view on this?

Randle    929

I said no, there isn't a massive problem now. So why fix it? If the points were un-justified the accused can just make an appeal and it will usually be accepted and the points removed if they didn't deserve them.

Prince    118

Nah people just cant handle banter and will report everything and anything they view as "Offensive"

This is mainly due to the word offensive being extremely subjective.

AndreyQ    0

From staff perspective the banter that looks offensive will receive points, well...because they believe it is offensive to the other person. Now they have no way to know if is just banter or actual flame so they just do the right thing and give the points. I somewhat agree with this. While it doesn't hurt to maybe ask the person that the comment is address to only when there is a doubt if it is banter or flame, in some occasions this banter might seem unnecessary and somewhat damaging to the discussion.

Overall, I believe that staff should take more time before making a decision in case this isn't already done. It seems like in a lot of cases points could have easily been avoided or not even needed. I feel like banter has slowly been denied from the forums which is not something that good. While it may be a bit annoying when you are having a serious discussion, it is also a part of an online community such as this. After all we want to just have fun right? It got to the point where I am asking myself if I should post a joke or a funny meme or even swear. It can get pretty fucking annoying.

johnm5425    2

I said no, there isn't a massive problem now. So why fix it? If the points were un-justified the accused can just make an appeal and it will usually be accepted and the points removed if they didn't deserve them.

Yeah i agree it isn't a massive problem but I like what Andrey said there are plenty of cases where Points could have been avoided, and I'm not sure on the percentage that win appeals but it kinda seems like they mostly get denied because staff still think its inappropriate.

Nah people just cant handle banter and will report everything and anything they view as "Offensive"

This is mainly due to the word offensive being extremely subjective.

I get what you mean but then wouldn't it be better to talk to the person who's offended and resolve the issue rather than just handing out points.

zoyo    70

If it ain't broke don't fix it.

The current system for warning points of the forums seems fine to me. The only thing I would add is a separate template for reports about events taking place on Teampeak and or the forums.

no point wasting the time of the staff. Have they lives too you know? Not just there to deal with petty little issues like the forum post.

If you get warning points, put up a ban appeal, I see no reason why we should waste the time of the staff on trivial matters like this.

There's one rule on the forums, don't be offensive to anyone or anything. A simple note of advice thinks of the things you can say in a country without freedom of speech. Banter is fine, but there is a fine line between banter and insult.

Chris    63

There is a "report post" function in the bottom right corner of every post. :D

Clumsy    226

I really don't see a need for this. It would take more time and more back and forth in the reports

over threads or posts and generally the current system works. 

When it comes to what is offensive it all depends on the person. What I find that I dislike the most is when

someone tries to tell the person that they didn't like what was said or being said and then they in turn get

belittled for being a 'softie', told to 'grow a thicker skin' or my favorite 'It's the internet, get over it'. You can not change 

how a person feels and if they find something they generally deem too harsh or went too far then they have

a right to report it. Some people are more sensitive than others and don't find something funny that maybe

the majority of the community did. As it's been said if you get points for 'Banter' then you can put up

an appeal and the Staff will look into it. 

We are all still human on the other side of the computer screen. I know it's easy to hide behind but there is still

someone there that has real feelings. When in doubt, don't post :)

Gonna pull a Terra and add a quote.

"Your words have powers. Use them wisely"

Volke    131

Not needed, too much work. I do however think reported posts/reports shouldn't be pubic for the whole community: only the staff and the people involved. It just generates OOC hate, backlash, and drama. Before someone starts saying transparency: the current transparency is not effective as we still don't see the process.

Pussy    379

Not needed, too much work. I do however think reported posts/reports shouldn't be pubic for the whole community: only the staff and the people involved. It just generates OOC hate, backlash, and drama.  Before someone starts saying transparency: the current transparency is not effective as we still don't see the process.

The process involved in coming to a verdict is not a secret and hopefully that was answered in your suggestions thread by Brad and Terra. The only thing truly secret about the report process is what has been said in the thread notes.

OOC hate and backlash will always be involved. Those people who have been reported will still know who reported them, and will spread it among their friends. I don't think that having reports be private will really stop the "saltiness" all that much in all honesty. Sure, it may stop other people from getting involved, but the OOC hate/backlash is predominately between the OP and accused anyhow.

Brad    158

There is a "report post" function in the bottom right corner of every post.  :D

This ^

If you click on other reason you can also type the reasoning behind it.

Definite no to a forum report section.  

If the post doesn't deserve points it will be handled with an appeal.

Jannik    0

If you think that there is something to be reported then you can always report the post that you do not like