Server time: 2017-08-20, 06:04

Sign in to follow this  

Going Text RP for the first time, any advice?

I'm going to start a new character which technically is not new... cause I had her in reserve... but I haven't. you know what it doesn't matter.

But either way, I'm trying out a new/old character to spice things up a bit. and I'm playing a female which either means I need to channel my inner pubescent Japanese girl which is inside every Asian mind you. or I need to start text rping, and to be honest I don't feel kawaii.

So any advice?

Jamie    1181

I don't text RP much, only when I'm lagging. But i've seen some awesome text rp'ers such as SarcasticSurgeon, Spartan etc. I feel that with text rp, it's important to show what your character is doing. Not many people do it when they're voice rp'ing, but with text rp, i feel that when you're expressing actions and such, it compensates for not having a microphone. Simple little actions like;

*She lifts up her gun facing up, and begins cleaning the barrel with an old rag*.

*She scowls at the man*

Little things like this are really nice. Another thing I'd have to say is grammar and spelling. I'm a big grammar nerd so I always judge off that. If you was to say something in game like this:

"hi der mate, how are you doin?"

I wouldn't really think you're taking it seriously. If you was to say this:

"Hey there mate, how you doing today?"

I would take you a lot more serious.

I think the best person to talk to is SarcasticSurgeon. But best of luck.

Spartan    1017

Don't shorten words like "please" to "pls" or "be right back" to "brb". Sure it is quicker and people understand you but its not good...

What I often do is emotes. For example:"*chuckles* no no, I don't think so". When I textRP I often describe what my character is doing before she speaks. For example:*sits down with her back against the wall and slides with her fingers past the wooden grip of her AK. She mumbles*:"I need to find a new one"". What also helps is to describe the voice in certain situations. For example:*looks mad and her voice sounds pissed*:"watch out where you point that gun idiot!".

There are alot of diffrent ways to do textRP and you basicly want to find your kind of style.

One last piece of advice. When you are in a group and you meet someone new and everyone introduces themself, put one hand up (F1) when you typed your introduction so the person doesn't have to guess from who the text is ;)

Divinity    2

Text roleplay is something that I find difficult for the genre of gaming; everything can be very fast paced and for example if you are being robbed / held up, you'll be put on the spot to respond rather quickly-- this limits the quality and quantity of emotes aswell. I personally come from a long background of Forum and Text roleplay in several different games and canons, so if you have any questions I am more then willing to apply some of my experience towards a good cause.

My main tip is this; Ensure that when you have time, to make your emotes quality and detailed. Explain your facial expression, your posture, what your doing with your hands, and your reaction to things happening around you. A lot of people forget to describe the tone in their characters voice aswell, which is a really decisive factor in some situations.

Just some food for thought.

Stagsview    589

The best way I learnt was getting involved with a lot of rp forums back in the day.. Was great fun and taught me a lot of text rp.

It's also important to mix text rp along with voice rp...if you get the right ballence you can really go into depth regarding your character for example:

:: He blinks rapidly with a confused look on his face. Suddenly, he shakes his head and smiles politly and mutters:: I'm sorry? ::Giggles slightly:: Erm, what did you say?

You don't need to go into huge detail ( I myself love text rping ) but as jamie said, avoid shortening words and leaving things in the open. If you leave things to open in meaning people might get confused.

Best people I have experienced who do text rp are crimson, mace, moose, Spartan and surgeon. Sometimes...you can just tell if their rp is good just by their text rp.

Levi is also a great text rper :)

Doc Phlox    24

I don't text RP much, only when I'm lagging. But i've seen some awesome text rp'ers such as SarcasticSurgeon, Spartan etc. I feel that with text rp, it's important to show what your character is doing. Not many people do it when they're voice rp'ing, but with text rp, i feel that when you're expressing actions and such, it compensates for not having a microphone. Simple little actions like;

*She lifts up her gun facing up, and begins cleaning the barrel with an old rag*.

*She scowls at the man*

Little things like this are really nice. Another thing I'd have to say is grammar and spelling. I'm a big grammar nerd so I always judge off that. If you was to say something in game like this:

"hi der mate, how are you doin?"

I wouldn't really think you're taking it seriously. If you was to say this:

"Hey there mate, how you doing today?"

I would take you a lot more serious.

I think the best person to talk to is SarcasticSurgeon. But best of luck.

I have to agree with you in terms of grammar, like when people don't use whom.or say then instead of than. But sometimes with shortening words, using your example it works really well if the person has an accent. Nobody enunciates perfectly, so writing it is sometimes not needed

zoyo    65

Just don't convince yourself that you're RP has to be limited because you're using text. Always try you're best to get involved with people around you and use plenty of emotes.

Guest Flluroz   
Guest Flluroz

Just gotta type stuff man.