Server time: 2017-10-21, 23:24
Safe Zone: CLOSING SOON

Sign in to follow this  
Furlean

A guide in regards to concealed weaponry.[WIP]

Q6EFi19.jpg

A guide in regards to concealed weaponry.

What is concealed carry?

Concealed carry, or CCW (carrying a concealed weapon) in the real world, refers to the practice of carrying a weapon in a public area in a concealed or hidden manner, either on one's person or in close proximity. In terms of the DayZ world, it simply means to place weapons within your inventory space so only you know where it is placed on your person, whilst not be visibly seen openly all the time to others. 

In DayZ, almost anything that you can get your hands on, can be used as a weapon, from a simple screwdriver to the largest assault rifle you can get your hands on. The difference between weapons is primarily their class, size and ammunition they use.

Why should I conceal carry?

Excellent question you ask! Concealing a weapon on your person is the best way to protect yourself in the current apocalypse! Whether it be a knife, a pistol, an SMG, if it fits, let it sit. Concealing your weaponry also may give the impression to those that would wish harm upon yourself or your close-ones - that you are defenseless, because you don't have an obvious rifle slung on your back, or in your hands. In other words, this is known as disinformation. Disinformation is a concept used even by military commanders for thousands of years! Sun Tzu once said:

"All warfare is based on deception. Hence, when we are able to attack, we must seem unable; when using our forces, we must appear inactive; when we are near, we must make the enemy believe we are far away; when far away, we must make him believe we are near."

Sun Tzu - 6th century BC Chinese military strategist

Whilst we as individuals (for the majority) are not military commanders, we can use this principle for the good of our defense in the hopes to confuse, confront and control the situations we may face against hostile individuals.

At the same time however, to those of friendly nature, seeing someone without a weapon on their external, from a distance may be a psychological comforting measure as firearms have been used as tools of deprivation by tyrants & bandits to deprive individuals and groups of autonomy. When individuals and groups are open handed in mutual exchange of productive interaction - ease of business and respected reputation of both parties makes further interaction more fluid.

"Whatever makes an impression on the heart seems lovely in the eye."

Saadi - 11th century Persian poet

How should I conceal carry?

Well, its easy! Simply place any of your weapon in your inventory (shirt, pants, backpack, vests, etc.) and remember where you put it. Its even easier to assign a hotkey into your inventory bar at the bottom of your screen. 

In DayZ, particular firearms take up a certain amount of "dimension" within your clothing and other articles. For the purpose of this guide, I will categorize certain firearms that are practicable concealed firearms/weapons and mention their size details. 

PISTOLS:

Pistols commonly have been used as concealed weapons throughout modern human history. Due to their relative simple operation, small size and effectiveness, it is no wonder many survivors for the majority, conceal these on their person. In DayZ, for the majority, most pistols take up approximately 2 x 2 squares, while the Derringer, a small, two-shot breach-loaded .45 ACP pistol only takes an impressive 2 x 1 squares within your inventory. Therefore, it is feasible for any of these pistols to be concealed within most jackets/shirts, pants, backpacks and vests. For RP purposes, it is best to place in your pants or vests for quick draw and easy concealment. 

slots.jpg

This is how many inventory 'slots' a standard 2x2 and 2x1 pistol will use. 

2 x 2 Pistols:

4x4_pistols.jpg

2 X 1  Pistols:

derringer.jpg

Hatch    0

This works well and all until that one frisky bandit takes all your clothes off

Oliv    1882

Nice little guide. I typically do carry some kind of concealed when I can get my hands on something and have enough inventory slots available.

Only thing, is I see one correction. I believe the derringer is only a single shot, but perhaps I'm wrong (been ages since I've used one).

Guest Mak   
Guest Mak

Concealed pistols have saved my ass many times, especially post-initiation when the robber has taken away your primary, and feels safe...

Nice little guide. I typically do carry some kind of concealed when I can get my hands on something and have enough inventory slots available.

Only thing, is I see one correction. I believe the derringer is only a single shot, but perhaps I'm wrong (been ages since I've used one).

2 shots.

Oliv    1882

Concealed pistols have saved my ass many times, especially post-initiation when the robber has taken away your primary, and feels safe...

2 shots.

Thank you kind sir

Divinity    2

Personally, I tend to carry a Derringer or even a Magnum inside of my Cooking Pot when I can. And then I carry it in my pants, for the sake that most people don't strip your lower attire. If you do manage to wiggle out of cuffs, you have your loaded weapon double concealed and ready for use in the worst of situations.

RedSky    123

Magnum hidden and no rifle on your back and every bandit will shiver +1 for this guide more people should do this

Wolfe    0

I like the idea. Should try this on the next update when everything is wiped. Low profile kit, with just a 1911, a knife or two, and brass knuckles.

But then, the temptation to carry a rifle is so hard to stay away from..

Dusty    1586

I also use this tactic, not that I get to use it a lot, but should I ever be in a situation where I'm being robbed, it's always nice to have it as an option if you can pull it off. Only correction that needs to be made is the parts where you say a normal sized pistol takes up 4x4 slots. They take up a total of 4 slots, but it'd be 2x2. Just a small nitpick :)

Tewudin    44

Interesting idea. Personally I tend to do this myself, although unconsciously. Especially now with the new updates it's kind of necessary to carry knife or something similiar with you.

Divinity    2

I hope to see more people wearing a conservative amount of equipment; or at least have a valid story as to how they got all that dank loot.

Defiance    96

You forgot to mention the sawed-off shotgun, which has saved my ass and my group's ass a few times. ;)

zoyo    70

Yea, it seems the best way to hide a weapon is having a pistol in you're pants. Most people wont force you to take off your clothes anymore. But if you're cuffed or some *searches you for a weapon* you're out of luck.

Good job with this guide.

mrsiCkstar    2

I only wish you could tuck a pistol under your belt instead of having to put it in your pocket. The same way you can pit a combat knife in military boots, or a fishing hook into a boonie hat. It would be much more realistic.

Koala Kozak    13

I only wish you could tuck a pistol under your belt instead of having to put it in your pocket. The same way you can pit a combat knife in military boots, or a fishing hook into a boonie hat. It would be much more realistic.

Yeah that would be nice, maybe if they added a Rangemaster belt or something like that have in arma 3, or the option to put it in your sock or something or even tape one to your leg??

Bowser    53

What about a UMP or AKS? - Thats my concealed weapon of choice.

Well done for the guide though. Love the idea.

Sign in to follow this