Server time: 2017-08-21, 10:26

Sign in to follow this  
Jetwells

Killing as a last resort?

Question

Jetwells    243

Just a quick one really, something ive noticed alot across reports. And here is an example video to watch, https://youtu.be/W-N_rqWfY-I

How is this promoting roleplay? And why are kills like this not brought to the attention of the person who did said killing? I believe this kills all RP and is used alot as an easy kill. Only using that video as an example, but i see many ways that this could of promoted RP. But instead, killing someone for throwing an apple at you, which results in you getting shot also, indicates NVFL for me, and that the kill was not a last resort.

What are opinions on members of the community on kills such as this?

And how do staff feel about this? Is this valid promotion of RP?

Once again, not because of that video, but i feel RP is stale and people kill far too commonly. I believe punishments or warnings should be also given out to people who kill for things as little as that, the avenues the RP could of taken were completely avoided and simply put, non-existant. 

Views and thoughts?

No flaming please, The video is merely an example situation.

9 answers to this question

I suggest making a report.

Apparently there is already a report. Disregard me.

Well since we're using the video as an example, he clearly gave the guy a warning and said "you throw one more, I'll kill you" the guy still threw the damn thing. We're Roleplaying in a Zombie apocalypse where respect and favors are the only currencies, if someone disrespect my character like that in front of everyone while his little buddies chuckle in the back, I would've shot him too, especially after giving him a fair warning.

If I was the guy throwing the apple and a man approached me and told me to stop it while he had a fully automatic weapon, I would've backed away. Sometimes people IG act like it's kinder-garden and nothing can touch them, some people just got to learn the hard way it seems.

To sum it up, don't deliberately mess with someone and except no repercussions.

Well, from that video.. I can see what you're talking about. The guy was just throwing an apple. The guy that shot him for throwing an apple could have done things a lot differently.

Okay, when I created the immortals. The idea was to promote RP. We were never ever looking to kill anyone for any reason. The only time that we ever kill someone is if they became a threat. If they didn't listen we would scare them. If they ran their mouth we would silence them. We did everything we can to make sure in the end of the torture or interrogation we didn't kill them.

People make attempts to make the roleplay different. Fun. Interesting. I almost never resort to killing someone. I always want my victims to be a live and live through what we doing.

Now for this particular case. Yes, the guy was being an idiot and not listening. Yes, he continued to throw apples. But the situation could have been handled far better then what became the outcome.

When people gain KoS rights, they always want to use them. They never want to just let it be and drop the situation. They always have to go for the kill. Going for the kill doesn't really help the roleplay that occurred there, it doesn't progress it, it ends it.

The rules we currently have and the way they are designed is to enable us to kill one another. Yes, killing is normal in the apocalypse. Yes, ruleplay is not cool. But the fact of the matter is we have to redesign the rules so there is a balance between killing someone and allowing this person to live.

At the end of the day, people just want to use the rules to their advantage and never see what truly lies behind the roleplay potential that could have been.

Gonna kill a man for throwing apples? I guess we have to assert authority some how, prove that we are elite beings and all that. 

Hey, while we are at it.. Lets go kill the people tossing pumpkin seeds and banana skins away.. Its good here listen, we tell all them that it is wrong and they will be killed if they do. Instant KOS right on those that don't listen, easy "dank" loot to horde and kills to brag about.... Dam, what about all those wasted shell casings? Surely they would have a good use to some one, some where.. We can tell people if they do not collect them after expending them that we will kill them, again easy kills to brag about.. Ah right, none of these are items (apart from pumpkin seeds) in-game so no one gives a dam.

For real, the community is now full (meaning a large majority) of what I would call 'kids' that don't really give a dam about RP and have very little mutual respect. Maybe I am wrong but I really can not be bothered reinstalling the game to find out, I will continue to let the forums enlighten me.

Should of just punched him in the face and knocked him out as he was throwing it, or use a stun baton to knock him out then cuff him. However, I can see the man who was throwing the apples buddies then shooting the man recording anyway. Bullets are blessing and a curse to RP. At the same time, the man did warn him if he threw another apple. Its just immature shit. On top of that, the bullshit that comes with Teamspeak chat and the shady OOC talk and poor RP from both sides. If people got over the concept of killing as 'winning' or showing 'who's boss' and adhere to the Roleplay > Ruleplay rule, this situation could of been easily fun for both sides and lead on to better RP on both sides. Some people just want to watch the world burn.... :)

iparodyall    15

He may have been somewhat hasty killing someone for throwing apples, he could have tied him up and had some Hannibal lecter rp. However, the guy throwing apples was dangerously close to "troll territory", and was doing a poor job of role playing. (as well as the immersion breaking issue of the apples floating in the sky) In a life or death situation, where no rules apply and where death is around every corner, WHY IN THE HELL would you throw an apple at someone holding a gun??

I also feel as if people expect bandits to give them some spectacular performance or else they will be reported.

If someone threatens your life in the real world, you don't test their patience by mocking them, you can't hide behind the "you can't kill me bro!" excuse. Thats what people seems to be doing, its usually these guys who act cocky during hostile RP that start complaining about poor roleplay in the reports section after they get shot.

If you antagonize someone who has threatened your life and you continue to press your luck, you can't complain that it wasn't RP enough if he kills your ass.

Thats real life...thats what Roleplay is based on!

Either way you take it, the rp could have been better on both sides, thats just my opinion however. :)

Jetwells    243

Thanks for the responses guys. It was merely the most recent example, but not the only one. I just wondered what the view of people was on this, and what people saw it as. Yes, a warning was given, but from his video , and the accused stating TS was hectic. I had a hard time even hearing what was said from the chatter in the OP's video. So it was both sides of the spectrum. Yes, it may of been somewhat trolly, but to instantly shoot someone without trying to promote the rp, I have never seen something like this be brought to the attention of people. Wether i have missed this or not, its just a view that i have seen.

I have only been able to provide hostile RP a couple of times without people threatening me with my life, or telling me to shut up. Infact, The only person i believe i have ever been able to shit talk without being told to shut up or be shot is makarov. I just feel certain situations can be played out alot better. And from what i have seen, Obviously this may be just me again, but i have never seen any sort of warning or statement for something like this. I guess waiting for the report to be solved could of changed the way this question has been put, But its a broad specturm like fackmos says, A majority of the community are using these situations for an easy kill.

I understand with there being no Zombies it is going to be alot more interaction and pvp, I was just wondering if people were noticing what i was and how they felt.

This can be solved thankyou, but i would like to continue the discussion and hope to hear from more people and how they feel.

It is easy for us to look at a single situation and say, "The community doesn't care about RP anymore." In my opinion, we should be careful about doing so, making sure that you understand the entire situation at hand before. The last thing I feel the community needs is everyone jumping on each other and pointing fingers since it could cause more harm than good.

I have been in many situations where someone is killed for seemingly nothing and it is unfortunate since it can, in a sense, kill the future RP. In these obvious cases if you feel that the RP is unnecessarily cut short, you are 100% clear to make a report or simply talk it out with the individual. 

However, there are also times where it seems the killing is completely uncalled for, but in reality it wasn't. Many of these situations occur when there is a significant build-up to the killing or the two parties do have ongoing history of threats and violence.

Lately it has seemed the amount of 'shoot now, talk later' has been increasing, but is that really an issue with the player base? I don't think so. Keep in mind that we all have been playing a zombie game without zombies for a few months and the game is admittedly becoming stale. Infected added a significant amount of RP and made the game much harder and weapons/ammo noticeably more scarce. Without infected everyone is completely geared all the time and have more than enough ammo and there is hardly a challenge to the game. This also kinda eliminates the feeling of a survival game. People want challenge and unfortunately this is where the public hive mindset sets in. This could lead to this issue you're addressing.

This is not the first time this topic has been brought up and people are going to actively argue both ends of the spectrum here, which is good. Discussion is a great first step to finding a solution.

My opinion: Discuss the issue here, see what others think, and see if the issue progresses in the coming weeks. 

As requested, I will mark this as /solved. 

It will be left open for further discussion.

iparodyall    15

Thanks for the responses guys. It was merely the most recent example, but not the only one. I just wondered what the view of people was on this, and what people saw it as. Yes, a warning was given, but from his video , and the accused stating TS was hectic. I had a hard time even hearing what was said from the chatter in the OP's video. So it was both sides of the spectrum. Yes, it may of been somewhat trolly, but to instantly shoot someone without trying to promote the rp, I have never seen something like this be brought to the attention of people. Wether i have missed this or not, its just a view that i have seen.

I have only been able to provide hostile RP a couple of times without people threatening me with my life, or telling me to shut up. Infact, The only person i believe i have ever been able to shit talk without being told to shut up or be shot is makarov. I just feel certain situations can be played out alot better. And from what i have seen, Obviously this may be just me again, but i have never seen any sort of warning or statement for something like this. I guess waiting for the report to be solved could of changed the way this question has been put, But its a broad specturm like fackmos says, A majority of the community are using these situations for an easy kill.

I understand with there being no Zombies it is going to be alot more interaction and pvp, I was just wondering if people were noticing what i was and how they felt.

This can be solved thankyou, but i would like to continue the discussion and hope to hear from more people and how they feel.

People need to focus more on roleplaying and less on petty rules.

I agree that both bandits and victims have used the rules to their advantage, this community thrives from roleplay, but i see many people doing things very poorly.

BY THE WAY I'm going to be put on the shit list for this but...Teamspeak can ruin RP, not only does it distract people, confuse people and cause boring rp. It also doesn't apply to the real world, you couldn't communicate with other people on a radio without someone hearing you.

So i'll say this, if you are in a group together and in close proximity, just try to use direct chat instead of going back and forth. I've seen several incidents where either the person i was talking to was deleyed in their responses or talking OOC in game because of teamspeak.

I don't hate teamspeak, I don't use it personally, but i don't expect people to stop using it. I'm only saying this from a lone wanderer POV, the RP is way better when the group is concentrating on RP with me, rather than having OOC talks during our encounter.

Thats just me though, take it with a grain of salt.

Good luck out there!