Server time: 2017-08-16, 21:57

Sign in to follow this  
Geintje2

Kicked for name

Question

Geintje2    1

hey there,

My character name ingame was Blanket Wolf, i have been playing with that IGN for months.

However my character now has a perma death, and im trying to come back as his brother "Pillow Wolf"

But after i while i get kicked for bad RP name.

I Understand Pillow isnt a common name, and it sounds funny because of his brothers name Blanket.

But thats not at all my intention.

18 answers to this question

Chow    45

Hi Geintje2

We would kindly ask you to change your First name to something else as this might come out as trolly IG, when introducing yourself.

It will also be seen as a Invalid RP name.

Even tho your first character was called Blanket, does not mean hes brother have to be called Pillow.

Well you have your answer. "Pillow" and "Blanket" are not real names and therefore BadRP names. I don't understand why you thought that naming your character "Pillow" is legit in any way.

Chow    45

So Like i said, and AndreyQ Said.

Pillow and Blanket will not be looked upon as Valid RP names.

Therefor i will mark this thread as /Solved

I thought Michael Jacksons kid is/was named Blanket? Nothing wrong with that. People have odd names out there.

I thought Michael Jacksons kid is/was named Blanket? Nothing wrong with that. People have odd names out there.

And people name their kids Obama, Drake, Pewdiepie and the list continues.

And people name their kids Obama, Drake, Pewdiepie and the list continues.

Spot on, no problem. But.. the problem if there is one at all is intolerance.

Doc Phlox    24

I have to respectfully disagree that this is not a "valid" name. What constitutes a valid name, something you find in a book? Something used quite frequently? Nonsense, if a word can be used as a name, and it is, then it is a name. Gwyneth Paltrow named her kids Apple, and Sky. People have started calling their kids Khaleesi, from Game of Thrones. Culturally, there are so many reasons why people choose the names that they do. If a person introduces themselves as "Pillow" and has a good reason why they are called that, how is it trolly? In fact it could enhance RP, now you have a cool story and ice-breaker. It departs from all the normal, and quite frankly boring names that I see. Obviously there are strange names out there, but because someone doesn't thinks it sounds good, doesn't make it invalid.

Of course, there are mitigating circumstances, in terms of offensiveness. If someone is named Adolf Hitler on the site, you can bet your bollocks to a barn dance I would want them to change it. But this isn't that circumstance. This gentleman wants to use a very unusual name, but something being unusual shouldn't be a precursor to unacceptable. 

P.S. Someone mentioned Drake and Obama being names. WTF? Drake is a name, like Sir Francis Drake, and it is the singers middle name. As well, Obama is a last name for a person, unless you wrote Osama, and it auto-corrected, but even so, that is a perfectly normal name, depending on where in the world you are.

Samaritan    246

'Blanket' was his nickname. His real name is Prince Michael Jackson II.

To the OP I don't think that Pillow is a valid RP name.. Use it as a nickname by all means. I think that a valid RP name is a name that doesn't spoil a persons immersion. If someone walked up to me in can and said "Hi my name in Pillow", then I might think OOC'ly is he/she serious therefore effecting my RP experience or I'd automatically think it was a nickname. The same goes for any famous names. At the end of the day DayZRP has rules in regards to RP names and to most people 'Pillow' would seem strange, a little too strange.

There are plenty of names out there to choose from and if Pillow has a meaning for you, then use it as your nickname.

Brad    155

You can use it as a nickname if you'd like.  Just seems a bit trolly for a first name.  Especially after your first characters name.

Bob (Joe, Jim)-Pillow-Wolf would be acceptable.

I have to respectfully disagree that this is not a "valid" name. What constitutes a valid name, something you find in a book? Something used quite frequently? Nonsense, if a word can be used as a name, and it is, then it is a name. Gwyneth Paltrow named her kids Apple, and Sky. People have started calling their kids Khaleesi, from Game of Thrones. Culturally, there are so many reasons why people choose the names that they do. If a person introduces themselves as "Pillow" and has a good reason why they are called that, how is it trolly? In fact it could enhance RP, now you have a cool story and ice-breaker. It departs from all the normal, and quite frankly boring names that I see. Obviously there are strange names out there, but because someone doesn't thinks it sounds good, doesn't make it invalid.

Of course, there are mitigating circumstances, in terms of offensiveness. If someone is named Adolf Hitler on the site, you can bet your bollocks to a barn dance I would want them to change it. But this isn't that circumstance. This gentleman wants to use a very unusual name, but something being unusual shouldn't be a precursor to unacceptable. 

P.S. Someone mentioned Drake and Obama being names. WTF? Drake is a name, like Sir Francis Drake, and it is the singers middle name. As well, Obama is a last name for a person, unless you wrote Osama, and it auto-corrected, but even so, that is a perfectly normal name, depending on where in the world you are.

This guy gets it.

The others of you, detesting this name - your reasons are close minded and their reasoning is flawed. Pillow and Blanket can be names based off of nouns and although rather odd - are acceptable. It would be different if was named 'Toilet' or 'Trashcan' but Pillow and Blanket are fairly harmless.

Brad    155

--snip--

This guy gets it.

The others of you, detesting this name - your reasons are close minded and their reasoning is flawed. Pillow and Blanket can be names based off of nouns and although rather odd - are acceptable. It would be different if was named 'Toilet' or 'Trashcan' but Pillow and Blanket are fairly harmless.

I feel like you are being close minded against certain types of furniture ;)

I get what you are saying, creativity shouldn't be shackled, but you also need to see it from a staff perspective where a lot of times names like this are meant to be just that.  Trolly.  Tough to let it slide. 

In my opinion if he has met people with the name and they haven't complained (and they enjoy the RP of it) than that's the most important thing.

My advice on it being a middle/nickname still stands.

Samaritan    246

-SNIP-

This guy gets it.

Detesting is a little bit strong. Just because people disagree that Pillow is a valid RP name doesn't make them close minded either. At the end of the day it is a opinion of what constitutes a valid RP name and as stated above people would find someone called Pillow a little too strange to take seriously thus possibly having a negative effect on there RP experience.

As stated before I think that an invalid RP name is one that effects someone's immersion in game and I would guess to the majority of people that it could be seen as unrealistic. As a nickname I wouldn't have a problem, but as a first name...hmmm.

However the above statement is just my humble opinion. Im not detesting the name neither I'm I being close minded, I'm just keeping within the boundaries of I believe to be realistic in a RP setting.

Hateing on some one because of a name is bullying and telling them there name is bad/wrong is also bullying. If my real name was Coco or Adolph I would expect as much respect as if it were Paul or Sam.

Samaritan    246

Hateing on some one because of a name is bullying and telling them there name is bad/wrong is also bullying. If my real name was Coco or Adolph I would expect as much respect as if it were Paul or Sam.

C'mon Fackmos, we are neither hating or bullying. We are having a discussion on what constitutes a valid RP name were it is apparent that opinions differ. At no point is anyone saying it is bad or wrong, it is just unrealistic to some people and that is all. At the end of the day there are rules on what constitutes a valid RP name and as the staff member has stated they do not believe it to be so.

Dogmeat    7

But doesn't this come down to what the rules are based off of or rather whos opinion they are based off of? What makes a name normal and what makes a name trollish?

C'mon Fackmos, we are neither hating or bullying. We are having a discussion on what constitutes a valid RP name were it is apparent that opinions differ. At no point is anyone saying it is bad or wrong, it is just unrealistic to some people and that is all. At the end of the day there are rules on what constitutes a valid RP name and as the staff member has stated they do not believe it to be so.

That's the point, what constitutes a valid RP name? Who says what is and isn't?  No one gave a dam when we had Blizzard Cronic roaming around. Now, I would say some invalid RP names would be Toggles Mcgee, Ayy Lmao or 'Dank' Man ect. 

What if this guys characters parents named him Blanket? Boom, creativity gone over nothing. Shunned for making a story.

Doc Phlox    24

I agree, I don't believe this is in any way bullying. It is just a discussion. If the OP feels he is being bullied or shunned by anyone on this thread they would say so. And honestly, Fackmos, if your name was Adolf you would expect the same respect as if it was Jon? That is farfetched, some names are not acceptable. We all know this, while creativity is important, it is also quite important to not offend people.

Geintje2    1

No i dont feel bullied or shunned at all guys.

I think it is a pretty interesting discusion.

Adolf is actually a pretty common name in Germany, and in my opinion deserves as much respect as a john, paul or sam.

Here in the Netherlands "isis" is also used as a name for girls (no Trolling)

My intentions with the names Pillow and blanket are far from trying to be a troll, and my character has "backstory" to explain other players ingame, how he got the name.

The name Blanket actually got me in some really interesting & fun RP.

However, i do understand your opinions, and dont mind using Pillow as a nickname for "phil" as an example.

What i don't understand, is why i have been alowed to play as blanket for months.

if i were to use the name pillow, i would have a great story to tell people that knew blanket.

And would actually allow me to have some great RP in my opnion.