Server time: 2017-10-20, 20:00
Safe Zone: CLOSED

Sign in to follow this  
Rick-Banana

My name is George Jeans and I am a survivor.

Rick-Banana    2

My name is George Jeans and I am a survivor. If you're reading this then I'm probably dead. Before the outbreak I worked as an EMT in Novodmitrovsk, and lived with my wife and son in a small village in the Black Mountains. It wasn't a big village, mostly just the elderly looking for a quiet retirement. It was a peaceful place, the sort where you know everyone by name and greet them in the street. My wife and I had been together for thirteen years, married for six of them. I met her at a medical conference in London and after a whirlwind romance we moved back to her home in Chernarus to start our family. Our son was a clever little five year old. He was the light of our lives, so clever and inquisitive. Helena and Oscar they were called, Helena and Oscar.  My marriage had been on the rocks for about six months or so before the outbreak, I worked too much and she nagged too much. I had hit the bottle hard to cope. Helena put up with the drinking for about a year before she kicked me out so that Oscar didn't have to see his Daddy in a stupor anymore. That's why I wasn't there when the infection hit.

We had heard the reports of the attacks in Myshkino, even talked about Helena and Oscar going to stay with her mother in Chernogorsk, but we didn't think too much of them. God I wish I'd payed more attention, maybe then I could have done something. I'd just been fired, I'd missed one too many shifts with a hangover and they'd had enough. It took a half an hour on the bus, and by the time I got back from Novodmitrovsk the village seemed deadly quiet, but I couldn't care less. I just wanted to dive into the bottle of vodka in my apartment. That's all I know about the night the infection broke quarantine and hit, all I remember is a blur of self loathing and cheap vodka. By the time I woke up it was too late, the village had been torn through. Corpses littering the streets, blood and gore everywhere... It wasn't a big village, mostly the elderly looking for a quiet retirement. No one could stand against an onslaught like that. I just had to believe that somehow Helena and Oscar had managed to run and hide. I was desperate for our home to be empty. But it wasn't. They'd tried to barricade themselves in. I found them huddled together in Oscars bedroom, his racing car wallpaper ruined with their blood.

I don't really remember the days following, I holed up in my apartment with all the booze I could carry from the local pub. I was numb and I wanted to die. I almost did. Drank two liters of vodka and grabbed a handful of pain pills. But I had a... I don't know what to call it...? A vision...? A dream...? Helena, telling me that I couldn't come to them yet, that I could do good for others like me, people who were hurt and needed help. That one day, if I earned it, I could find sanctuary with them. That her and Oscar would be waiting, and watching over me.

Its been almost a year now, and Ive wandered wherever my feet have taken me. Met a few people here and there, patched them up the best I could with what I had. Never stayed too long in one place, staying and getting bogged down is how the infected get you. Haven't had a drink since that night either, I don't think I'm brave enough to face Helena again. Not just yet. But I'll keep walking until my luck runs out or my time does. Even now, robbed, beaten, and left to die on the side of the highway on the coast; with the clothes on my back and all my supplies gone. I've still got a job to do.

Rick-Banana    2

Cheers guys! I'll be jumping on for my first session tonight so who knows where this crazy land might take old George!

Fluffles    21

Cheers guys! I'll be jumping on for my first session tonight so who knows where this crazy land might take old George!

Good luck! Maybe we'll meet one day ;)

Rick-Banana    2

Entry One.

--------------

Lost my last notebook so I'' be picking up in this new one. Today has been a strange day. After months of wandering I found myself in some small town in the middle of nowhere. The place had been turned over, but I managed to find a little food, and a new backpack. Then all of a sudden I hear this mechanical roar; a truck! A truck after god knows how long! Obviously I had to try and meet other actual living people. But when I got to the road I panicked. It had been so long! What if they were like the bandits that robbed me before? What if they were worse? You see and hear strange things in Chernarus these days, story's of men giving in to the darkness. So I drew my repeater, just in case. I'm no fighter but I'm not going to make myself an easy target.

I needn't have bothered. Either the driver didn't see me or didn't care. He drover straight past without slowing, and kept going until I couldn't hear the truck anymore. The disappointment was crushing, choking even. A glimmer of hope and companionship crushed. Despite my usual aversion to people I really could have used a friendly word, or directions. I'd been wandering aimlessly for as long as I could remember. But now they were gone, and I was alone again. I don't mind admitting that not for the first time I wished I had a bottle of scotch and a freezer full of ice, and then obviously felt like shit for thinking like that. What would Helena and Oscar think...? I'd made a promise after the fall. Never again...

Anyway, I pushed on, like always. Past the houses ripped open and gutted, past the silent factories and burned out cars. Past the little reminders of what we'd all lost; a bloody axe outside a family house, the forgotten and discarded teddy bears in a little girls bedroom. After a while I found a road sign, but the name meant nothing to me. I'd never been very good at directions, even before the fall. So I picked a road and set off down it, like I always do. Into the approaching dark...

Entry Two.

--------------

As I was wandering the road I found a discarded rifle, some AK design I'd wager. No mag, one bullet chambered. I don't know what story that tells but I don't want to find out, and I pray that the poor bastard that it belongs to didn't meet an untimely end. I picked it up even though it was pretty useless. You never know, I could trade it away for some sterile bandages. Eventually I found myself on the outskirts of a large city, and the roadside told me I was in Stary Sobor. Even I knew Stary, I'd been here once or twice with Helena and Oscar before the fall. Had a look in a clinic but it was barren. Took a blood test kit just in case. I'd hate to put someone into toxic shock by giving them the wrong blood type.

Just up on the main road I ran into a group of survivors, literally. I didn't see them because my lamp was off. It was a group of three men, one of whom was an actual Doctor! I guess I'm not the only medic out here. The Doctor gave me his radio frequency in case I wound up in trouble; 89.3. One of their number seemed a little odd. He said his name was Nitro and I from the way he spoke to a woman at the water fountain I guess he was a radio personality before the fall? If he was I didn't listen to his show and neither did the poor woman. She played along though with his delusion. I guess it must be hard for him to let go of the little bit of fame he had. Offered them the AK but they were pretty set so I left it propped against a wall. I hope it does someone some good. I left that group, the Nitro guy was pretty unsettling. But it wasn't long before I ran into another group of survivors, two male one female. They offered me some epinephrine which I gladly took, and lead them to some ammo they needed that I had seen. They seemed friendly enough, but had no need for a medic. Guess I'll just keep wandering...

Entry Three.

---------------

Ran into another Medic at a water pump, no idea what town I was in. Didn't even notice he was wearing the uniform in the dark. I think he said his name was Tony? Some kind of patrol man came to check on us, and pointed the other Medic back in the direction of Stary, said there were a lot of people down there. I took my leave and pressed on. Its been months since I've seen an infected but I've got to believe they're still out there somewhere; and a mass gathering is a surefire way to get dead. Not long after I was searching a house and was approached by a man calling himself "Mr Black" apparently with the Legion? He also mentioned Minute Men and peacekeepers? It was all kind of confusing really, not helped by the fact that he sounded like John Wayne hungover. Scary kind of guy though, very intense. Another guy approached and talked to Mr Black, I didn't hear everything but it sounded like they were in trouble. Something about an approaching force, and not having enough men. God knows what made me do it but I told them I'd stand with them if they needed a medic. I'm not much of a shot, but another man cant be bad. Especially if that man has trauma training.

In the end it didn't come to blows. A huge force of, I assume, ChernoRussians came to where we were. Although they didn't say anything malicious the tension in the air was palpable! Honestly I started regretting offering my services! What the hell could I do against all these people with automatic rifles and body armour? I had a rusty repeated rifle for gods sake! But in the end they left us alone. I couldn't get out of there fast enough. Not before giving the second man, Shaun I think he was called, a compensatory for his rifle. It wasnt doing me any good so someone might as well use it right?

I got out of dodge pretty fast after that. All that politics is way above my head. I'm just an EMT, and I had no idea there were so many people left in Chernarus, let alone different political factions! I guess it goes to show that even in the face of catastrophe humanity is incapable of not dick measuring...

Entry Four.

--------------

Found a downed chopper. It looked Russian in design. Probably from when the world abandoned us. It had been picked clean though, no radio, no equipment. Kind of disappointing really. Not as disappointing as it was to end up at an actual Military Base though. The place was silent. No movement, no life. I'd been holding out hope that maybe somewhere there was still a pocket of the army held up, but seeing this place, doors hanging off hinges and equipment left to rot I think reality finally set in. We're alone, no one is coming to help us. But I managed to find a new sturdy pair of military boots, and even some new EMT pants. I lost mine a while ago to damage, but now at least maybe people will be able to spot me as a Medic and not a threat from a while away.

The strangest thing happened next. I don't know if it was because the sun was starting to rise and the place looked different or if I'm just an idiot but I ended back up in the town where I met Mr Black and Shaun. Only this time it was a lot busier and there was no sign of either of them. The place had what looked like some Para military force occupying it. They seemed friendly enough to me, but I'm glad no one seemed to recognize me. I don't want to end up under the gun because I helped out the wrong guys. This is why I mostly kept to the wilderness! Stupid humans not being able to put aside their differences! Anyways I stopped off at the water fountain in town to drink up. It was a beautiful crisp morning, and the water from the well was the most refreshing I remember. Tried to make small talk with a couple of the people there. One woman in a cowboy hate and red check shirt had the most beautiful engraved M1911 I'd ever seen. But the rude bitch ignored me, so I decided to make tracks again. Maybe I'd been alone and silent for too long?

One the road back to start I met two Americans, I think. Its hard to place accents with so many flying around. They needed water purification tablets. The one meds I don't actually have, of course. People must thing I'm a bloody joke... Anyways since I couldn't purify their water I traded canteens with them, at least then the poor bastards could have a drink. They'd been hoofing it all night apparently. Either way, they seemed pretty pleased to have drinkable water, and I told them about the situation in the town I'd just left. I'd like to think that Helena and Oscar would approve...

So now I'm holed up in the tattered ruins of some family home, trying not to look too hard at the family portraits under years of dust and neglect. Its been a strange old day, but now I need to sleep. I guess today isn't my day to die.

Lucky me.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

My first nights session! Any thoughts or feedback greatly appreciated guys!

Fluffles    21

I like the short diary entries! It makes it very easy to read, and I like the way you describe the events. Keep it up!

Rick-Banana    2

Cheers buddy! Even though nothing much really happened it was an interesting first session! Much different from the other servers I've played on for sure!

Great read so far! :)

You should think about adding some color to the font, spice things up a bit, make it look nice

Rick-Banana    2

Cheers bud! That's a great idea, unfortunately I'm kind of new to all the posting on forums business and have no idea how to do any of those fancy things!

Ronan    29

Very interesting story! Enjoyed the read :)

Rick-Banana    2

Thanks dude! Glad I decided to take the plunge and write it haha! Can't wait to get back on and add some new entries!

Sign in to follow this