Safe Zone: CLOSED

Sign in to follow this  
Guest Mr Boonie

NVFL

Guest Mr Boonie   
Guest Mr Boonie

What do you think about this rule?

DeeBlack    310

Its fine, die die never comply kills RP.

Bruce    0

I wonder what this is referring to...

NVFL is pretty straight forward m8, and there are other threads asking the same thing. If you try to retaliate while you are completely outnumbered and die then NVFL. I have only ever seen a few people get away with it, but they had "good RP reason."

Defiance    96

Excellent rule -- Quite possibly the best rule we have.

edit: I'd like to remind you that the bandits on this server are GENERALLY exceptionally skilled when compared to your typical group on public. Being held up by multiple armed people will almost always result in your death if you decide to open fire. NVFL is one of the few things I file reports for, because it completely ruins any RP by stopping it immediately.

tldr; Bandits on this server are fast, accurate, and extremely lethal most of the time. You will rarely escape by firing your gun. Put your hands up, take a deep breath, and prepare yourself for RP next time. You'd be amazed at the things a sharp-tongued hostage can pull off.

Guest Mr Boonie   
Guest Mr Boonie

(Tim was a young man at high school he had no friends and usually walked around and sat at lunch alone, every day he is faced with Jocks and Athletes picking on him, taunting him, belittling him, and even jumping him, the school implemented a rule stating if you're about to fight or get into a situation where more people than you come in physical contact with you can't defend yourself or you will be suspended or even expelled) .... you will eventually get my perception of NVFL with this explanation. Might be too forward since we are talking about rules on a video game server, but the principal still remains.

Guest Zenon   
Guest Zenon

What do you think about this rule?

I feel as though it is tacked onto a report just to create further effects on someone's punishment. That's not to say that people having no value for their lives isn't a problem from a roleplay standpoint, but I do feel that of all the rules, it's one of the least needed (least, not unwanted).

Guest Mr Boonie   
Guest Mr Boonie

Agreed completely Zenon.

Defiance    96

(Tim was a young man at high school he had no friends and usually walked around and sat at lunch alone, every day he is faced with Jocks and Athletes picking on him, taunting him, belittling him, and even jumping him, the school implemented a rule stating if you perceive to fight or get into a situation where more people than you come in physical contact with you can't defend yourself or you will be suspended or even expelled) .... you will eventually get my perception of NVFL with this explanation. Might be too forward since we are talking about rules on a video game server, but the principal still remains.

But it doesn't. There is a huge difference between defending yourself in the schoolyard and being shot numerous times by multiple armed men with fully automatic weapons. You need to understand when you HAVE to surrender. It sucks, but you have to understand this aspect of the game. You are lucky to have even gotten RP from the bandits before they initiated-- A lot of bandits would not give you that courtesy. 

Your ban is minor. It's three days and it will go by quickly. There are lots of things you can do to avoid getting held up, and I'd be glad to give you pointers. The transition to DayZRP takes a lot of time, and I personally had to work on breaking a lot of my bad habits that I'd developed from playing public. Fighting back immediately is one of those habits.

I'd be glad to talk to you on teamspeak about this. I've had a lot of experience in dealing with NVFL.

Guest Mr Boonie   
Guest Mr Boonie

This isn't about the ban I clearly am just asking about your opinon on the rule. But thank you for telling me and informing me you were apart of the group.

Defiance    96

This isn't about the ban I clearly am just asking about your opinon on the rule. But thank you for telling me and informing me you were apart of the group.

I was not a part of the group. I have no idea how you came to that assumption. I watched the footage and it resembles dozens upon dozens of NVFL reports I've witnessed. 

This rule facilitates role-play and forces people to make realistic decisions regarding their character's lives. If you disagree, then I'd be more than happy to sit here and let you know why you are mistaken.

Guest Mr Boonie   
Guest Mr Boonie

That's your opinion and you are entitled to it, so am I with mine. I feel that its not justifiable to tell someone they can't defend themselves no matter how many people there are is ridiculous and uncalled for.

Brad    158

That's your opinion and you are entitled to it, so am I with mine. I feel that its not justifiable to tell someone they can't defend themselves no matter how many people there are is ridiculous and uncalled for.

The rule is put in place to emphasize Roleplay over shooting your way out of situations.  It's a great rule that if you abide by you will find yourself enjoying RP more often than not.  If you don't, it will result in a well earned ban.

Volke    131

The Rule is fine - it protects survivors from being ridiculous and acting unrealistically. Ex: 1 guy shooting a single guy when he's surrounded by 5 guys

The only thing that I feel is difficult when your character needs to act in a way which would realistically go into trouble. Lets say you want to sacrifice yourself in order to let your children escape. This would be realistic in your characters RP. However according to your rules it would be NVFL. If you plan to permadeath - is this still NVFL?

Dew    415

You're suppose to RP that you care for life, like if you die its over for that character. You can't RP like you know if you die you will just respawn and regear. I fully agree with the rule.

Guest Mr Boonie   
Guest Mr Boonie

Defending yourself and fighting for principal to not let bandit's win EVERY DAMN TIME is unrealistic, ive seen in many cases including personal experience in DayZ people make it out alive from a sticky situation with 5-8 guys surrounding them. PRIME EXAMPLE WITH FOOTAGE: JamJar & Blackout enjoy ;)

Brad    158

The Rule is fine - it protects survivors from being ridiculous and acting unrealistically. Ex: 1 guy shooting a single guy when he's surrounded by 5 guys

The only thing that I feel is difficult when your character needs to act in a way which would realistically go into trouble. Lets say you want to sacrifice yourself in order to let your children escape.  This would be realistic in your characters RP. However according to your rules it would be NVFL.  If you plan to permadeath - is this still NVFL?

Perma-death does not excuse NFVL.  But at the same time if the other party felt it was RP'ed correctly, then no harm done.

Realism is a goal, but sometimes in order to ensure the RP is priority, we have to sideline it a bit.

Brad    158

Defending yourself and fighting for principal to not let bandit's win EVERY DAMN TIME is unrealistic, ive seen in many cases including personal experience in DayZ people make it out alive from a sticky situation with 5-8 guys surrounding them. PRIME EXAMPLE WITH FOOTAGE: JamJar & Blackout enjoy ;)

If you make it out alive, you can't be charged with NVFL.  

It's a risk you run, putting PVP over the RP.  If you die as a result and are reported, it will be a rulebreak.  If you live, congratulations.

Defiance    96

I'm not sure why this isn't getting through to you. Please read what I've posted below.

This is a role-play server, where we value role-play over anything else. The rules are set in place to encourage players to role-play with each other. The rule stating that you must value your life specifically is tailored towards facilitating role-play. By trying to shoot multiple people whose guns are trained on you, all you're doing is allowing yourself to die. I have never seen a situation where one person was surrounded and able to kill multiple hostile players by immediately fighting back. 

There are numerous defenses against bandits. When anyone initiates on you, then you and all of your allies gain KOS rights on the initiators within a 500m radius. Speaking from personal experience, I initiate knowing full-well that I am going to have to provide quality role-play for my captors. This is something that I WANT to do, because I feel like I can entertain my hostages, provide them a good story, and possibly further their personal storyline. Bandits can suck, but they are a guaranteed way to progress your character, meet other players, discover groups, make enemies, strike deals, and so forth. 

My opinion is that role-play is greater than the thrill of maybe killing one or two people before you're inevitably taken down. By not valuing your characters life, you are closing the door to numerous role-play opportunities that can be a tremendous benefit to you. If your bandits do not provide adequate role-play, or just all around gave you bad role-play as a hostage, then you're entitled to a report. However, you simply are not entitled to open up on multiple armed players who have you surrounded. This lack of entitlement is because you are here to role-play, and the first step of delivering realistic role-play is by making realistic decisions that will lead to the SURVIVAL of your character.

I hold my opinion because I've been involved in countless initiations, and I try exceptionally hard to deliver outstanding role-play to the people I choose to take hostage. When this is shot down immediately because a player doesn't value their life, then it sucks. I am a bandit because I WANT to provide YOU an interesting and entertaining experience. If you were to fight back immediately if my group were to initiate, then you would be missing out.

The same thing applies to the countless talented bandits on this server, including Norman Casey who you killed. 

I only want you to understand, Mr. Boonie. I'm begging you -- Give us bandits a chance.

Guest Mr Boonie   
Guest Mr Boonie

@BRAD That's a MAJOR GREY AREA in the rules, its basically saying "if you can break the rules and get away with it it's okay" that's not a sophisticated comment you just made....

Volke    131

The only thing that I feel is difficult when your character needs to act in a way which would realistically go into trouble. Lets say you want to sacrifice yourself in order to let your children escape.  This would be realistic in your characters RP. However according to your rules it would be NVFL.  If you plan to permadeath - is this still NVFL?

Perma-death does not excuse NFVL.  But at the same time if the other party felt it was RP'ed correctly, then no harm done.

Realism is a goal, but sometimes in order to ensure the RP is priority, we have to sideline it a bit.

See If it was rp'd out and was realistic to my characters rp - I think it's silly to consist of NVFL - He fucked up, he thought he could escape and died and permadeathed.

Guest Mr Boonie   
Guest Mr Boonie

Trust me it was RP'd out. @VOLKE

Brad    158

That's a MAJOR GREY AREA in the rules, its basically saying "if you can break the rules and get away with it it's okay" that's not a sophisticated comment you just made....

It is not a grey area, it is rather straight forward to 99% of the community that has played here.  If you live, you were able to gain the advantage, thus why it is not a rulebreak.  If you die. You were not.  

Personally I am not bothered by whether or not you think my comments are "sophisticated" or not.

--snip--

See If it was rp'd out and was realistic to my characters rp - I think it's silly to consist of NVFL - He fucked up, he thought he could escape and died and permadeathed.

But then what do you say to the Super Soldier who says, it is engrained in my DNA to kill everyone who robs me?

CODEHX    1

It seems like this rule only depends on CERTAIN situations.