Server time: 2017-10-19, 05:31
Safe Zone: CLOSED

Sign in to follow this  
mrsiCkstar

A few quick questions from a newbie

Question

mrsiCkstar    2

Firstly I want to say that I did read the rules, FAQ and so on, and I've looked in many threads here on the forums but I'm still confused so I'm making this thread to hopefully get some clarity on these things before I get on to the server for the first time.

1. Could someone explain the radio concept to me? I've seen posts mentioning things like patting someone down for their radio or having their radio removed. What exactly does this refer to? And if this happens to me, what should I do to effect good RP? Is TS the radio? Or does it refer to the in-game walkie talkie? I also saw someone mention "exchanging frequencies"... this I'm assuming refers to the in-game walkie talkie. Or does it mean I have a legit IC reason to switch over to their TS channel?

2. The NVFL rule. I understand the rule and how to avoid breaking it. But what if I want to RP a character that values his freedom and dignity more than his life? I mean people like that do exist in the real world, but to me it seems the NVFL rule makes it impossible for me to RP a character like that. Or is there a way that I haven't thought of?

3. Also, is there a legit way to play a murderer? The rules say you can't kill a compliant hostage and killing without initiating is KOS.

Not that I'm going to play a murderer, just trying to understand the rules a bit better. They do seem to prevent certain types of characters from being depicted in-game.

4. When I die, I understand I lose the memory of the event and ppl that killed me. But I've seen some posts talking about permadeath and when you die you play a new character. Some clarification on this would be nice. When I die, do I create a brand new character, or do I simply lose the memory of the incident? And if the latter, how do I RP that in a group setting? Seems really cheesy to show up a few hours later and go "I have no short term memory". Hehe.

I've also seen some posts talking about not being allowed to permanently kill someone's character unless they give you permission. this concept seems confusing to me. Why would anyone give such a permission?

I apologize if these questions have been answered somewhere obvious. I've spent hours reading this forum today but I was still confused about these issues. I hope you guys have enough patience to help me out. :)

Thanks all.

12 answers to this question

Janana    28

Firstly I want to say that I did read the rules, FAQ and so on, and I've looked in many threads here on the forums but I'm still confused so I'm making this thread to hopefully get some clarity on these things before I get on to the server for the first time.

1. Could someone explain the radio concept to me? I've seen posts mentioning things like patting someone down for their radio or having their radio removed. What exactly does this refer to? And if this happens to me, what should I do to effect good RP? Is TS the radio? Or does it refer to the in-game walkie talkie? I also saw someone mention "exchanging frequencies"... this I'm assuming refers to the in-game walkie talkie. Or does it mean I have a legit IC reason to switch over to their TS channel?\

A: This refers to your ability to speak IC and OOCly in Team Speak if you have it. Team Speak In-game functions as the radio in game so if someone were to take said radio, your ability to call for help or mention that you're being robbed in Team Speak IC and OOCly is no longer possible.

2. The NVFL rule. I understand the rule and how to avoid breaking it. But what if I want to RP a character that values his freedom and dignity more than his life? I mean people like that do exist in the real world, but to me it seems the NVFL rule makes it impossible for me to RP a character like that. Or is there a way that I haven't thought of?

A: You can role play someone who would rather die with his or her "dignity" but anyone with any sort of dignity wouldn't charge at a bandit with shovel thinking they'll live. You can role play "freedom" and "dignity" by making your character more prone to negotiating, or backing their beliefs with logical reasons to do or not take action. Just don't be careless with it.

3. Also, is there a legit way to play a murderer? The rules say you can't kill a compliant hostage and killing without initiating is KOS.

A: There is a legitimate way to play a murderer. You would probably need a prior background for your character of killing, or wanting to kill and then when it comes to actually killing off other characters to be the murderer you aim to be, you would need to set up some sort of agreement with the other character's player. Don't expect someone to perma-death their character just because you shot them.

Note: Playing a murderer relies greatly on the other people you're RPing with as you can't kill or harm them without permission.

4. When I die, I understand I lose the memory of the event and ppl that killed me. But I've seen some posts talking about permadeath and when you die you play a new character. Some clarification on this would be nice. When I die, do I create a brand new character, or do I simply lose the memory of the incident? And if the latter, how do I RP that in a group setting? Seems really cheesy to show up a few hours later and go "I have no short term memory". Hehe.

A: You are not required to create a new character. Some people prefer to play new characters after a previous one dies by a realistic cause to keep their Role play experience in line with what they believe should happen. If your character is killed for some various reason, your character does not remember how, or why they died or that they died in the first place. I view it as a personal RP retcon of the character's death because if you don't remember it, it's like it never happen to begin with. That is, of course.. if you're the only one there. 

I've also seen some posts talking about not being allowed to permanently kill someone's character unless they give you permission. this concept seems confusing to me. Why would anyone give such a permission?

A: Sometimes people are done with a particular character's story, or want to try something else. This would be the opportune time to kill off a character, or have them leave the country.

Note: People can bring back perma-deathed characters.

I apologize if these questions have been answered somewhere obvious. I've spent hours reading this forum today but I was still confused about these issues. I hope you guys have enough patience to help me out. :)

Thanks all.

I hope this helped you answer your questions. :D

-Tosh

mrsiCkstar    2

Very helpful, thanks!

About the radio again: If someone takes it away from me, do I then automatically get it back after the encounter is over, or do I have to get one from someone else through RP before I can use TS again?

There's still one thing I'm wondering about making arrangements with other people. If I'm out and about and see someone random and initiate on them, or they initiate on me, do I then, while the RP is going on, go on text chat to ask their permission for things? Or how does it work in practice?

Slash    87

1. Could someone explain the radio concept to me? I've seen posts mentioning things like patting someone down for their radio or having their radio removed. What exactly does this refer to? And if this happens to me, what should I do to effect good RP? Is TS the radio? Or does it refer to the in-game walkie talkie? I also saw someone mention "exchanging frequencies"... this I'm assuming refers to the in-game walkie talkie. Or does it mean I have a legit IC reason to switch over to their TS channel?

The patting down for radio is to prevent you from using TS, Steam or whatever other communication device to alert your friends about the situations. The "exchanging frequencies" is used for both TS and the forum radio chatter.

No value for live is a rule to prevent people to kill themselves to bail out a situation. A human being will always see value in his own life. If you play a character that doesn't see any value in his life we would consider that as NVFL.

Not that I'm going to play a murderer, just trying to understand the rules a bit better. They do seem to prevent certain types of characters from being depicted in-game.

You can play a murderer but, you can't KoS people. The KoS rule doesn't prevent you from killing people it prevents you from killing people without role play or without a valid reason. If you are robbing someone and he does everything you say, what would be the point for killing him? IMO it's way more fun to keep people alive and have them fair you.

When you kill a person he or she can choose to perma death his character that means that the character will be dead and he or she will not be playing it anymore. When some one allows you to perma death a character you can go around the lands and tell everyone he or she is dead. When someone didn't gave you permission to perma death a character you can't do that as that will be considered power gaming. 

It is possible to meet a character that you have killed before at that moment the one you meet doesn't remember the situation. You of course could roleplay things as "How did you survive that shot?" or "How are you still alive?"..

Did this answered your questions?

Ellie    335

Very helpful, thanks!

About the radio again: If someone takes it away from me, do I then automatically get it back after the encounter is over, or do I have to get one from someone else through RP before I can use TS again?

There's still one thing I'm wondering about making arrangements with other people. If I'm out and about and see someone random and initiate on them, or they initiate on me, do I then, while the RP is going on, go on text chat to ask their permission for things? Or how does it work in practice?

A. I good way to do about the Radio is, if the people who captured you let you go and you pass a house while youre running away, I personally would RP out that i find one and therefore giving me back my "radio"

A. You can search them for a radio via text chat. That way if they have "friends" they wont know your hostage's whereabouts, giving you more time with your hostage and time to RP. If you intend to perma scar them you must always ask them (and they must say YES), since it would be considered powergaming if you don't.

Slash    87

That depends on the person. most likely they won't give it back and you either need to find one or get one through RP. (Finding one can be done in any way you like as long as it makes sense of course)

Yes you can ask permission for thing while RP is going on. You need to use text chat and use "//" for all OOC messages. Don't use OOC text chat to much tho! Only use it for important things!

Did this answered your question?

mrsiCkstar    2

Thanks everyone for the very quick help! I'm pretty sure I understand things now.

I guess if I want to legitimately play a character that lives by the ethos "those who value life over liberty deserve neither", I should just not comply to avoid the NVFL infraction.

Slash    87

I guess if I want to legitimately play a character that lives by the ethos "those who value life over liberty deserve neither", I should just not comply to avoid the NVFL infraction.

This is not true! when 3 people say to put your hands up and you just ignore them and don't put your hands up we would consider that NVFL.

NVFL means: 

• Act in a way that indicates no value for your characters survival.

mrsiCkstar    2

Damn, so there's no way to do it and not end up on the wrong end of a report? Even if I RP it by saying I won't surrender my weapon and trying to back out of the situation? In other words, when someone initiates on me, I HAVE to comply to not get a NVFL?

Jamie    1418

Damn, so there's no way to do it and not end up on the wrong end of a report? Even if I RP it by saying I won't surrender my weapon and trying to back out of the situation? In other words, when someone initiates on me, I HAVE to comply to not get a NVFL?

I'll try and make it simple. If you see a situation where you don't think you can make it out for example:

3 guys surrounding you with guns aimed at you.

If you know you're going to die if you don't reply, then this is going to be NVFL.

It shows that you stand no chance of getting out alive so your only way to stay alive is to comply. This shows you actually have value for your life. 

If it was a 1 on 1 scenario and you have a chance of escaping or killing him, then this is not NVFL.

Slash    87

/Solved as the question has been answered!

mrsiCkstar if you have any other questions feel free to PM me or any other staff member!

Ellie    335

You can also reach us on Teamspeak for a more in depth explanation if needed.