Server time: 2017-08-20, 08:13

Sign in to follow this  
DerrickStorm

How to record with OBS - You're a bandit? A victim? Have a video for a report!

DerrickStorm    34

[align=justify]Welcome to my very basic and short tutorial: How to quickly and properly set up Open Broadcast Software to record your gameplay.

[align=justify]Since I've joined DayZRP community almost daily I go through solved reports to learn from them. It strikes me how many players don't have a video evidence - especially when one decides to roleplay as a bandit. The following guide will show how to quickly set up recording in quality good enough for a possible report even if you have a medieval PC (as I do). You can adjust all the settings I will give but with the ones below I'm able to record all my gameplays (longest lasting 6h) without a pause and any noticable frames drop (From 5 frames I get to 4 frames).

STEP 1: Download Open Broadcast Software (OBS)

[align=justify]It's simple! You just go to https://obsproject.com/ and pick the installer that is suitable for your system. Once you install it you launch the software. You don't have to launch it as an admin but if you will run into any issues later on, try it as a fix.

STEP 2: Setting up SCENE and SOURCE

[align=justify]Once OBS is launched you are going to see something similiar to picture below. First of all to make things a lot easier lets launch DayZSA and alt+tab it. Now in OBS you have to right click on the window on the left, below "Scenes" (picture 1). Menu will pop up and you'll choose Add Scene. A new window will pop up where you name that Scene. Name doesn't matter but if you want to keep it tidy name it DayZ or similiar. Next you do same thing on the window below "Sources:" (Picture 2). Right click and choose from the menu "Add" -> "Game Capture". Thanks to having your dayz alt+tabbed the dayz game will appear in the drop-down menu (Picture 3). Make sure DayZ is selected and also select 'Anti Cheat'. If you won't do that you will end up recording black screen. Click OK and we're done here. 

Picture 1

QMy2Uk5.png

Picture 2

BfVUsTi.png

Picture 3

ISioUXL.png

STEP 3: Basic Settings - Audio and Quality.

[align=justify]Now from the top of the OBS window choose "Settings" and from the drop down menu "settings" once again. The window showed on picture 4 will pop up. Pick Encoding. Now numbers in Birate and Buffor (green arrows) must be equal. The larger the number is the better the quality and larger the size of the file will be. With both numbers set between 2-3k I have no problem with constantly recording. Note that it will be good to make some stress test how your game and pc will react to recording for longer periods with any settings.

Picture 4

MxBvM0r.png

[align=justify]Now set up correctly sources of your audio in "audio" section as shown below. Pick your devices from the drop down menu - desktop audio device and microphone. It's good to take a look there from time to time if you connect/disconnect audio devices or adjust settings in windows control panel, because you don't want to end up recording without sound or microphone. Click Apply to save all changes.

Picture 5

MEGqbIW.png

STEP 4: Record and play!

[align=justify]After clicking Apply in settings we will be directed back to main window. Make sure you have your DayZ scene selected in the main window. The only thing left now is to press "Start Recording". The black window will appear in OBS. To make sure the video is being recorded alt+tab your game back and alt+tab it again. Now OBS should show refreshed window with your DayZ in it. Once you're done playing click "Stop recording". To view your video file pick "File"=>"Open recording folder". 

Picture 6

pYWHlkZ.png

Picture 7

OK3sGUg.png

[align=justify]Additional notes:

[align=justify]Newer versions of OBS may not work with DayZ (as seen in Troubleshooting section on DayZRP forums).

[align=justify]This is the most basic guide for players that would like to have an evidence just in case something happens. There are many more options to adjust but I'm not an expert and won't go into that and also I'm not sure how to change some options. With four basic steps of this guide you're good to go. It's really good to record all the time even in poor quality because you never know when you're gonna run into troubles, encounter loot-cycled sites or be accused of something - you will always have a video that is ready to upload to youtube without any editing.

[align=justify]Thanks to community member Paul Arks for showing me how to record few months ago!

Jamie    1181

This is a great guide. Its strongly recommended that you record any hostile situations just in case a rulebreak occurs. Great job.

DerrickStorm    34

[align=justify]Great! I hope that this guide will be helpfull for all community members and the steps won't vary to much depending on the graphic cards (codecs may change or something). Recording 24/7 while playing is a great thing to do. I would recommend recording for players that are making their first steps when it comes to banditry. Beside having video just in case you also can capture some interesting encounters, even some short and quick scenes. This one right here is one of my favourite called "Hitchhiking in Elektrozavodsk".

[video=youtube]

So take those few extra minutes and set your recording software! It's worth it and you'll be much more calm if something happens!

Ramon    333

Great guide! 2 months ago I was busy looking for a guide like this, never find it...

But good to see that you made this guide, I think a lot of people are now happy! ;)

Defiance    96

Great guide! I'll have to see about switching to OBS. I use Overwolf because of the teamspeak integration. If I didn't have to handle such a rowdy group I'd have switched to OBS a long time ago, buuut I think they're finally starting to fall in line. ;)

DarkSide    229

Great guide man! But now people will record you and report you over stupid things..great. :(

Wow I might actually start recording again. Great job with this guide!

xIO_VAPEG0D_OIx    750

This is a great guide. Its strongly recommended that you record any hostile situations just in case a rulebreak occurs. Great job.

But when you have a Pc that just can't handle it -_-

Jamie    1181

Buy yourself a cheap camera and leave it on your desk. You strap it to your head when you go into a situation.

Phoenix    1048

Here, take all my beans. Just take them, don't ask!

Such a great guide! THANK YOU for this! *tips fedora*

xIO_VAPEG0D_OIx    750

Buy yourself a cheap camera and leave it on your desk. You strap it to your head when you go into a situation.

I bet that is what you do lad

Jamie    1181

I bet that is what you do lad

You know me so well. Use my advice, it's rare I dish it out.

DerrickStorm    34

Thanks for all feedback! I wasn't expecting that - I'm very glad it's a helpfull guide!

[align=justify]I've got most of my settings in game set to low as I have a pretty potatoe PC. And still with OBS I'm able to record non-stop. The quality isn't the best but enough in case something happens. Have you tried recording with OBS? If not I really encourage to do so. I wasn't sure at first if my PC will handle it but it was a nice surprise!

xIO_VAPEG0D_OIx    750

Thanks for all feedback! I wasn't expecting that - I'm very glad it's a helpfull guide!

[align=justify]I've got most of my settings in game set to low as I have a pretty potatoe PC. And still with OBS I'm able to record non-stop. The quality isn't the best but enough in case something happens. Have you tried recording with OBS? If not I really encourage to do so. I wasn't sure at first if my PC will handle it but it was a nice surprise!

Ill give it a go I just fear I won't be able to go anywhere near cities or towns

Dew    215

Nice tutorial man!

Vandy    34

Good job on this guide. Nicely written and some nice footage as well.

Well done.

Sign in to follow this