Server time: 2017-08-21, 04:34

Sign in to follow this  
eddybravo

I'm confused on something

Question

eddybravo    6

I don't want a character like this or anything like that but I read someone was a 'rapist' somewhere and he had to follow STRICT rules but how can you be a rapist if rape isn't allowed? Does it have to be suggestive or is it he needs OOC permission or what because it seems extremely red to me to even have a 'rapist' character.

26 answers to this question

Volke    132

I don't want a character like this or anything like that but I read someone was a 'rapist' somewhere and he had to follow STRICT rules but how can you be a rapist if rape isn't allowed? Does it have to be suggestive or is it he needs OOC permission or what because it seems extremely red to me to even have a 'rapist' character.

That was me. I can speak with you on TS about it if you have questions about how to do so while being respectful. It is a strict and difficult to play and not something I'd recommend for someone new to rp. I can help you if you need to know something but there are a few guidelines to playing such a role.

Brad    155

I maybe incorrect but I believe this characters backstory was that of a rapist, and no acts happened in game.  He may have spoke of them (likely not in detail).  This type of rp wouldbe difficult to get away with for most.

Janana    28

I maybe incorrect but I believe this characters backstory was that of a rapist, and no acts happened in game.  He may have spoke of them (likely not in detail).  This type of rp wouldbe difficult to get away with for most.

Nailed it.

Pussy    311

I recommend talking to Volke, because as much as I wasn't a huge fan of the principles of that particular character, Volke did a fabulous job of role playing out a character that could have gotten him into a lot of OOC trouble, and a lot of trouble with the rules.

For these kind of acts, 

1. Playing a rapist does not allow you to sexually assault anyone you come across in game.

2. There has to be OOC consent and understanding between both party members.

3. The acts are always eluded to, and never actually role played out within the game.

Ellie    335

Theres was out of character consent between the people involved and also multiple conversations/thoughts being shared with the staff and Volke at the time. Volke would be the person to talk to about this more, since he was the one involved in the partaking

eddybravo    6

That was me. I can speak with you on TS about it if you have questions about how to do so while being respectful. It is a strict and difficult to play and not something I'd recommend for someone new to rp.  I can help you if you need to know something but there are a few guidelines to playing such a role.

I'm not interested in being a rapist or anything in-game as anything like that doesn't interest me at all but I was just curious as to how you did it. It's a bit late for me to get on TS right now but maybe some other time as I am quite curious how you go about that (again I'm not interested in partaking in such RP at all, as I like to play more fun and whacky characters).

Pussy    311

I'm not interested in being a rapist or anything in-game as anything like that doesn't interest me at all but I was just curious as to how you did it. It's a bit late for me to get on TS right now but maybe some other time as I am quite curious how you go about that (again I'm not interested in partaking in such RP at all, as I like to play more fun and whacky characters).

For your answers then, please refer to post #3 and #5 in this discussion. I think you'll understand from those two posts just how he went about doing it in game!

Mind you, if you see anybody acting out this stuff without consent, then that is a report-able offense that should be mentioned to a staff member immediately.

eddybravo    6

For your answers then, please refer to post #3 and #5 in this discussion. I think you'll understand from those two posts just how he went about doing it in game!

Mind you, if you see anybody acting out this stuff without consent, then that is a report-able offense that should be mentioned to a staff member immediately.

Ok cool thanks for the posts I got my answer now! you can 

/solve :)

Yes, you're absolutely correct.  In this particular story, the rape had occurred in Miroslavl, not in South Zagoria,  i. E., not on the server.  The character who had committed the crime came to Chernarus to find his escaped victims and search for more to take back with him.

Just as a character can HAVE BEEN raped in their backstory, another character can have committed the crime. 

When Volke played the character, he talked to the staff team in depth about the limits of hostile behaviors for this type of  character,  and obtained OOC consent from other players directly involved in the storyline. 

Ensuring that the OTHER people are comfortable with this RP  is tantamount to most other concerns here.

Ellie    335

Im glad you got the answer you were looking for.. if you have anymore like we said, feel free to talk to Volke

/solved

Volke    132

Well there a few things you would need to follow, at least from my knowledge of it. First off: before I took on such a role - I had a great deal of OOC communication with various members and levels of staff including admins and even ex staff members for their thoughts.

But the guidelines are clear:

Make sure you have clear ooc consent between the person you are rping with. I made 100% sure that the person who I had such permissions from and I had agreed very carefully oocly on what the limitations were and the like.

Like Brad explained - my character was not actually raping them IG but in my characters backstory we had oocly agreed upon that my character "Blade" had done such acts to the girl. However - we discussed oocly on permissions that such I could do. Things discussed included forced kissing, licking, groping and the like. I made sure to also record and get text proof (using //IG CHAT) & vocal proof that I had permission to do so. I wouldn't just walk up to a random person and /rape them. The rp was very serious , emotional and horrifying and most importantly mature. To actual immerse myself like a real life monster. It was one of the worst things I had rp'd knowing that this monster I made really existed in modern day world.

I also made sure that if such actions dipped "below the belt" we would immediately continue rp on another platform (skype, ts , or steam). If the act took place in game - the details would be non-descriptive and to keep it "PG 13" in regards to the acts. It was also recommended that I do such acts in isolated areas like the forest or a lone cabin , ect.

Many guidelines which I followed I currently use in regards to Alcyone's "Shack" ran by Ellie supported by Alcyone - many of the rules and guidelines within it are the ones I followed with my rapist character. : http://www.dayzrp.com/t-The-Shack-Joint-Effort-By-Alcyone-CURRENTLY-CLOSED

This is footage of my character being killed by the mother of the girl I had raped. http://www.dayzrp.com/t-Alcyone-Gossip-Column-OOC-Media-Thread?pid=1225806#pid1225806

Overall: the guidelines I would recommend be extreme ooc consent, talking with staff about the person and situations, keeping your distance by other players, recording and having text logs of all things and taking a screenshot of the other platform if information is necessary. Blade Larson was a character I had never played anything like. I do miss him at times , since he is perma dead but it opened up a type of rp and dangerous rp I had not seen on the server. Should you have any questions, I can assist you . If you want to play fun whack characters, be cautious and mindful on the other person on the side of the screen. Be mindful of the feelings. And be mature on your actions. RP such as this will bring a lot of bad things to your name as many people don't understand the seriousness of the situation. Be an adult - take it as a mature rp experience. This would be my best advice. Should you have any questions about a character that acts in rape : I can give advice accordingly.

----

eddybravo    6

Well there a few things you would need to follow, at least from my knowledge of it. First off: before I took on such a role - I had a great deal of OOC communication with various members and levels of staff including admins and even ex staff members for their thoughts.  

Make sure you have clear ooc consent between the person you are rping with.  I made 100% sure that the person who I had such permissions from and I had agreed very carefully oocly on what the limitations were and the like.

Like Brad explained - my character was not actually raping them IG but in my characters backstory we had oocly agreed upon that my character "Blade" had done such acts to the girl.  However - we discussed  oocly on permissions that such I could do. Things discussed included forced kissing, licking, groping and the like.  I made sure to also record and get text proof (using //IG CHAT) & vocal proof that I had permission to do so.  I wouldn't just walk up to a random person and /rape them.  The rp was very serious , emotional and horrifying and most importantly mature.  To actual immerse myself like a real life monster. It was one of the worst things I had rp'd knowing that this monster I made really existed in modern day world.  

I also made sure that if such actions dipped "below the belt" we would immediately continue rp on another platform (skype, ts , or steam). If the act took place in game - the details would be non-descriptive and to keep it "PG 13" in regards to the acts.  It was also recommended that I do such acts in isolated areas like the forest or a lone cabin , ect.

Many guidelines which I followed I currently use in regards to Alcyone's "Shack" ran by Ellie supported by Alcyone - many of the rules and guidelines within it are the ones I followed with my rapist character. : http://www.dayzrp.com/t-The-Shack-Joint-Effort-By-Alcyone-CURRENTLY-CLOSED

This is footage of my character being killed by the mother of the girl I had raped.  http://www.dayzrp.com/t-Alcyone-Gossip-Column-OOC-Media-Thread?pid=1225806#pid1225806

Overall: the guidelines I would recommend be extreme ooc consent, talking with staff about the person and situations, keeping your distance by other players, recording and having text logs of all things and taking a screenshot of the other platform if information is necessary.  Blade Larson was a character I had never played anything like.  I do miss him at times , since he is perma dead but it opened up a type of rp and dangerous rp I had not seen on the server.  Should you have any questions, I can assist you . If you want to play fun whack characters, be cautious and mindful on the other person on the side of the screen.  Be mindful of the feelings.  And be mature on your actions.  RP such as this will bring a lot of bad things to your name as many people don't understand the seriousness of the situation. Be an adult - take it as a mature rp experience.  This would be my best advice.  Should you have any questions about a character that acts in rape : I can give advice accordingly.

----

I don't mean litterally chaotic sort of childish character, but mature whacky I guess. Edward Kotchen was a disillusioned char which would believe his superior officer was alive and talked to him on a unpowered radio or seen him in person sometimes (never did this but in my radio chatter stuff I would have my actions were my char would speak to him directly. 

My new character will be mentally unstable and I don't want to spoil him exactly here on the forums so yeah.

Volke    132

Make sure you have clear ooc consent between the person you are rping with.  I made 100% sure that the person who I had such permissions from and I had agreed very carefully oocly on what the limitations were and the like.

Like Brad explained - my character was not actually raping them IG but in my characters backstory we had oocly agreed upon that my character "Blade" had done such acts to the girl.  However - we discussed  oocly on permissions that such I could do. Things discussed included forced kissing, licking, groping and the like.  I made sure to also record and get text proof (using //IG CHAT) & vocal proof that I had permission to do so.  I wouldn't just walk up to a random person and /rape them.  The rp was very serious , emotional and horrifying and most importantly mature.  To actual immerse myself like a real life monster. It was one of the worst things I had rp'd knowing that this monster I made really existed in modern day world.  

I also made sure that if such actions dipped "below the belt" we would immediately continue rp on another platform (skype, ts , or steam). If the act took place in game - the details would be non-descriptive and to keep it "PG 13" in regards to the acts.  It was also recommended that I do such acts in isolated areas like the forest or a lone cabin , ect.

This is footage of my character being killed by the mother of the girl I had raped.  http://www.dayzrp.com/t-Alcyone-Gossip-Column-OOC-Media-Thread?pid=1225806#pid1225806

Overall: the guidelines I would recommend be extreme ooc consent, talking with staff about the person and situations, keeping your distance by other players, recording and having text logs of all things and taking a screenshot of the other platform if information is necessary.  Blade Larson was a character I had never played anything like.  I do miss him at times , since he is perma dead but it opened up a type of rp and dangerous rp I had not seen on the server.  Should you have any questions, I can assist you . If you want to play fun whack characters, be cautious and mindful on the other person on the side of the screen.  Be mindful of the feelings.  And be mature on your actions.  RP such as this will bring a lot of bad things to your name as many people don't understand the seriousness of the situation. Be an adult - take it as a mature rp experience.  This would be my best advice.  Should you have any questions about a character that acts in rape : I can give advice accordingly.

----

I don't mean litterally chaotic sort of childish character, but mature whacky I guess. Edward Kotchen was a disillusioned char which would believe his superior officer was alive and talked to him on a unpowered radio or seen him in person sometimes (never did this but in my radio chatter stuff I would have my actions were my char would speak to him directly. 

My new character will be mentally unstable and I don't want to spoil him exactly here on the forums so yeah.

Sound like a good character :)

Guest RayymondLmao   
Guest RayymondLmao

I find it disconcerting that people would actually chose to play these types of characters with serious enthusiasm.

I find it disconcerting that people would actually chose to play these types of characters with serious enthusiasm.

Why? 

We have torturers who chop fingers off for fun; carve smiles into people's faces; and viciously beat, waterboard, and decapitate young women. 

Should our art not also include a discussion of a very real situation? Shall we embrace one type of villainy and violation but shy away from another? And limit people's RP in the process? 

In my opinion, the subject of rape can and SHOULD be portrayed in a compelling and mature manner, and I have the utmost respect for anyone who can put themselves into such a role and do it well. Such art and conversations ought to be able to be had in a frank manner.

Guest RayymondLmao   
Guest RayymondLmao

The fact that people sit down at their computer and say in essence "I'm going to be a rapist today" is off-putting to me.

I recognize that this type of person exists in society, as do torturers, murderers, and other types of psychopaths.

But the fact that someone would put hard effort into trying to authentically perform rape on another player rather than doing something else with their time is just disturbing and confusing. To say nothing of whether it follows rules or not.

Deriving fond memories from these characters and satisfaction or entertainment from the process itself is a concept I cannot fathom.

You have your opinion on this subject, I have mine.

I suppose I have always assumed that most people here are fascinated with some aspect of horror stories - I should think that this particular type of character is just one of many of the horror memes one can expect in the realm of horror. Of course, everyone has their own comfort levels, which is why there is such an emphasis on the ooc consent with such a storyline.

And OF COURSE, as was discussed, there was no actual performance of rape on the server.

Genuinely asking here, not being sarcastic: Does it also bother you to think that a number of people here think long and hard about some of the following things:

What's the best way to RP waterboarding someone?

How can I create a torture scene that's never been done here?

I wonder how many fingers I can collect before my character is executed?

What's the best way to truly traumatize this character?  

What RP death can I create for my bud, so he goes out in a blaze of glory? 

I can understand why such subject matter might be uncomfortable, of course, but I think the kind of pleasure and fond memories derived from playing such a character -when done well- comes from knowing that one has pushed themselves to think/play in a completely different way, broadened their acting ability, and actually accomplished RP that was meaningful, moving, and had an impact.

As the person who role-played the mother of one of his victims, and who ultimately killed him, I can attest that I also have fond memories of the quality of the RP and character development that ensued.

Guest CUDA   
Guest CUDA

Yeah +1 to that. Not a fan of rapists tbh

Guest RayymondLmao   
Guest RayymondLmao

It is soul crushing that people such as yourself consider rape RP to be "art," Spider. My reasons are valid and personal. Sure it's taboo in society, and sure it's storytelling. But there's a line to be drawn somewhere, and it's in different places for everybody. I can't think about it in the same way I think about torture RP or extreme mutilation RP. My reasons are valid and personal. That's pretty much all I think you need.

Volke    132

The fact that people sit down at their computer and say in essence "I'm going to be a rapist today" is off-putting to me.

I recognize that this type of person exists in society, as do torturers, murderers, and other types of psychopaths.

But the fact that someone would put hard effort into trying to authentically perform rape on another player rather than doing something else with their time is just disturbing and confusing. To say nothing of whether it follows rules or not.

Deriving fond memories from these characters and satisfaction or entertainment from the process itself is a concept I cannot fathom.

You have your opinion on this subject, I have mine.

I wanted to provide a fear that was in a way different from hostile rp of norm. I wanted to provide something that was scary- was real. And I created the character: I created a monster - no different then frankenstein. It was based off a real world concept - playing the character: doing such a strange style of rp was a very unique and surprising experience. I wanted people to hate my character: I wanted to do something that no one had seen before.

Please do not assume because I played a character like this means I am eager/support rape. Similar to how normal people play psychopaths and bandits - even if they don't do it in real life. Why does it bother you? We have such a wide variety of characters in a post apocalyptic world: is it insane that such a monster would exist? I was hated by all - and it provided me something that I never experienced elsewhere. I don't regret it - It was a unique style of rp. Hostility and fear that didn't involve guns, that didn't involve carving, something that brought the immersion alive and horrified me. I was that monster.

I put effort into all my character - he wasn't a rapist just for top kek - he was a very well written/thought out character. Rape was his escape for vengeance on woman and hatred from his mother : it was his way of love. It was horrifying. But that's what the zombie apocalypse is - isn't it? This is a rp community with mature themes and questions that are brought up to light. This bothered some people - but the rp was fantastic and I miss the character. I didn't just sit down saying: I'ma rp a rapist. It was a long and time consuming process: I spent weeks planning the character.

It is soul crushing that people such as yourself consider rape RP to be "art," Spider. I can't think about it in the same way I think about torture RP or extreme mutilation RP. My reasons are valid and personal. Sure it's taboo in society, and sure it's storytelling. But there's a line to be drawn somewhere, and it's in different places for everybody. I can't think about it in the same way I think about torture RP or extreme mutilation RP. My reasons are valid and personal. That's pretty much all I think you need.

RP is art - it is art : it is a story. Some of these stories are cringe-worthy uncomfortable. I don't think supporting a certain style of rp means that you support certain IRL practices. You can argue about your line but regardless is rp is imagination: as long as something can be portrayed mature, respectful and abusive rp - What is the problem? I may play a character that may go against your values: Ex: Saiorse bothers some people for supposedly supporting IRA terrorism, when they don't. RP if done maturely , respectfully and valid IC reason: there shouldn't be anything wrong. If it makes you uncomfortable - I apologize. I want to make an immersive monster: and Blade was just that.

Brad    155

If it makes anyone feel any better, Volkes character was executed rather swiftly during RP.  So justice was served.

He also asked a lot of people what they thought about the character before hand, and it was interesting having a character on the server that if anyone knew the truth would instantly want to kill.

Guest RayymondLmao   
Guest RayymondLmao

"What is the problem?"

Guess.

Volke    132

If it makes anyone feel any better, Volkes character was executed rather swiftly during RP.  So justice was served.

He also asked a lot of people what they thought about the character before hand, and it was interesting having a character on the server that if anyone knew the truth would instantly want to kill.

Exactly this. I was happy to see how such people in an apocalypse reacted to such a monster. It was interesting to see how people reacted. I don't regret playing the character. Perhaps in the future if I have a concept / certain circumstances arise to weave a web of an original concept. : I might do it again.

"What is the problem?"

Guess.

I honestly am having difficulty: we can have people who eat dead people and chop off people's head and go to sleep at night trying to rp and think out ways to make your character cry. What is wrong with a monster like this? I don't support Rape IRL - similar to as murderers and cannibals don't support IRL. I apologize tat my type of rp bothers you. Regardless - it was an experience , do I regret it? No. It provided me with fantastic rp. Would I do it again? Yes. We will have to agree to disagree Rayymond , I have no issues with you : but regarding this debate we will have to agree to disagree :).

It is soul crushing that people such as yourself consider rape RP to be "art," Spider.  My reasons are valid and personal. Sure it's taboo in society, and sure it's storytelling. But there's a line to be drawn somewhere, and it's in different places for everybody. I can't think about it in the same way I think about torture RP or extreme mutilation RP. My reasons are valid and personal. That's pretty much all I think you need.

I have treated both rapists and victims of rape. I have intense personal experience with a number of sides of victimhood and the kinds of people who do such things. 

No one is a fan of rapists. Including rapists themselves. They often hate themselves. 

There is a difference between creating a compelling STORY about a rapist, and BEING a rapist. 

It should be noted that such RP doesn't only include the RP of the rapist, but can also spin off into stories about surviving it, vanquishing it, and moving PAST it.

There is a difference between appreciating someone's acting skill and ability to portray a horrible, gritty reality and thinking it's okay to rape. 

RP IS art. Art is MEANT to engage the mind and emotions. Art is both a bomb AND a balm. 

NO ONE is helped  or comforted by silencing art and conversations about rape (or any other horrible thing for that matter).

Guest RayymondLmao   
Guest RayymondLmao

I'm going to stop trying to get through to you because if you keep defending your character against an OPINION instead of a CRITICISM there's no possibility of making you understand where I'm coming from. If you want to continue this discussion, however pointless it is, we're doing it off the forums.