Server time: 2017-10-21, 03:28
Safe Zone: OPENING SOON

Sign in to follow this  
Wulfe

Conversation Tips

Wulfe    6

Right now I'm traveling a lone, and I often run into a lot of other lone travelers. When I try to start a conversation it takes a pretty predictable turn.

"Hey"

"Hello!"

"How are you?"

"Good, how are you doing?"

"Do you need anything?"

etc.

Needless to say these aren't very fulfilling conversations, but I'm at a bit of a loss. Yuri is a pretty normal guy as far as apocalypse's go, so he doesn't have anything interesting to say. If I know a piece of information, like I saw another survivor, or there are some shady characters, or there's a backpack in that house I'll pass it on but still not much comes out of that conversation. 

Usually we part ways after a few minutes, what are some good tips to spark some interesting or memorable conversations? Or at least a less bland encounter. I'm trying but its not working out so well.

Ramon    360

You can start about the weather? Hahaha... Or ask the other person if he is infected or sick? Like dont walk up to him close then...

Or ask him or her what they are doing here or if they see more people on the road.. Or just ask them if they know a specific place or location/area. Like if they know where you can find a waterpump because your realy thirsty...

Were you looking something like this?

Fleety    4

If you're looking for memorable I'd say hurl Faeces at them.

Cid    333

Something to remember is that RP is a two-way street. You can try as hard as you can to be interesting and spark meaningful conversation, but if the person on the other end isn't working with what you are giving them it'll still be hard to find a memorable experience just based off of a small encounter.

Something that I don't exactly see people do often is act cautious. Most people are just willing to walk up to the person, shake their hand, and give them their name. Approach the situation with some caution, and then once you know that everything is fine try and start conversation from there. Ask if he's seen any people/groups, where they have been and checked out, maybe try and see if they have anything to trade, etc.

Honestly, you probably won;t get great experience after experience just based off of small encounters. A lot of memorable experiences will come from groups, hostile situations, or extended time roleplaying with someone. Hope this helps a little bit. :D

Wulfe    6

-snip-

Yeah maybe I'll give that a try. Generally my encounters with groups have all been good, I was hoping I could improve my experiences with the solo guys because I see them so much.

Like you said though there's only so much I can do. Thanks for the advice.

Janana    28

Honestly, you probably won;t get great experience after experience just based off of small encounters. A lot of memorable experiences will come from groups, hostile situations, or extended time roleplaying with someone.

OhYeahSure. +1

Boston    776

Something to remember is that RP is a two-way street.  You can try as hard as you can to be interesting and spark meaningful conversation, but if the person on the other end isn't working with what you are giving them it'll still be hard to find a memorable experience just based off of a small encounter.

Something that I don't exactly see people do often is act cautious.  Most people are just willing to walk up to the person, shake their hand, and give them their name.  Approach the situation with some caution, and then once you know that everything is fine try and start conversation from there.  Ask if he's seen any people/groups, where they have been and checked out, maybe try and see if they have anything to trade, etc.

Honestly, you probably won;t get great experience after experience just based off of small encounters.  A lot of memorable experiences will come from groups, hostile situations, or extended time roleplaying with someone.  Hope this helps a little bit. :D

True this. Especially the last bit. Hostile is most memorable for me...

Nocheluz    122

Cid puts it very well and that is so true. But as someone who has played alone a lot also, you can always talk about the state of things. E.g. inquire if they've seen other survivors, what were their experiences like; have they encountered any dangers; what places have they found to be great sources to find supplies; do they know any places to avoid (e.g. Green Mtn :) ). You can express how glad you are to find another friendly face, ask if they'd like to walk and talk for a bit. It's really up to you, be creative and thing of unique and different things to talk about. How do they feel about being trapped in the country, etc.

Practice makes perfect, keep at it and it will become easier. I'll be glad to talk to you if our paths cross :)

Alex    465

The best conversation is no conversation;

-snip-

Sounds and looks like Ivan Lynch there :D

Rather eventful RP

Hagger    117

Good conversation starters:

- "I'm looking for "thing x", have you seen or know anything about it?"

- "Have you seen any people around here?"

- "Where are we? You know anything about this town/place?"

- "I saw something sneaking around! You think it might be the infected?"

- "Thank god you aren't going to eat me!"

Talk about stuff that has happened to you recently or make up something. It is RP so it doesn't have to be true. I often make stories to spice up the RP. Say that you think that you are being followed, say that you saw a damsel in distress down the road, say that you found a stash of military supplies in the woods. Get people interested and active. Anything is better than standing in a ring and talking for 5 minutes.

Jamie    1420

A fairly good conversation starter that is used on me a lot is "Drop your gun on the floor and stick your hands up." - 10/10 would conversate again

Hellspawnceri    533

Maybe you could give your character a little bit more direction. You could be looking for someone, or someone is looking for you. Trying to find some sort of common ground with the character you encountered could work, ask a bunch of questions your character might need answers to.

I enjoy making stuff up on the spot, as well as acting strange at times. I'm not the best at striking up conversation with strangers, but once you can get something going you kinda get the hang of it.

Fleety    4

Something to remember is that RP is a two-way street.  You can try as hard as you can to be interesting and spark meaningful conversation, but if the person on the other end isn't working with what you are giving them it'll still be hard to find a memorable experience just based off of a small encounter.

Something that I don't exactly see people do often is act cautious.  Most people are just willing to walk up to the person, shake their hand, and give them their name.  Approach the situation with some caution, and then once you know that everything is fine try and start conversation from there.  Ask if he's seen any people/groups, where they have been and checked out, maybe try and see if they have anything to trade, etc.

Honestly, you probably won;t get great experience after experience just based off of small encounters.  A lot of memorable experiences will come from groups, hostile situations, or extended time roleplaying with someone.  Hope this helps a little bit. :D

This ^^^^

When people come up to me being super non-cautious and immediately trusting in me, all I want to do is just change my character momentarily into a complete evil psychopath and just freak them out to change how they approach people. I almost feel like some new players are meta gaming by feeling safe under the KOS rule

Wulfe    6

This is good stuff, thanks guys. I'm thinking maybe I'll make like a "conversation starter" cheat sheet. Through some simple hooks onto a piece of paper, when I meet someone I can pick one and go with it.

I've tried asking people if they've seen an item I need but usually the answer is no and that's about it. I like the idea of someone following me, even if there's not. I think I might give that one a try.

I would offer to walk with someone or vice versa, but usually I meet someone going the opposite direction. That or I find someone sprinting around like a madman looking for gear. Whenever I say hi they always kind of stop and look at me. Reminds me of like a guilty puppy getting caught doing something bad.

Storm    215

If you cant think of anything to say, just pick up on the small things. If the person has a strange accent, ask them where they are from, try and get little bits of backstory out of them. Ask them questions which if answered will paint a picture of who this person is, and what they are like. You don't have to be too personal, but just make sure you don't start talking about gear and how your going to the north west airfield to 'loot up'.

Just spark a conversation, and maybe add in the basic questions subtly.

An example would be: "I'm from Russia originally, but I've lived here for a few years now. Oh, I almost forgot, would you like a can of food? I have some to spare."

This is just a basic example so you get the idea.

marksman48    44

I tend to ask what another American is doing in Chernarus (if they have an American accent or similar) or ask where they're headed. It's not hard to ask questions and to keep asking them because generally, most people are MORE than happy to talk all about themselves.

These guys are right though. We've all supposedly been surviving for almost a year now. We should probably all be acting a little more cautious or wary of other people.

Either way, good luck to you in your future RP encounters! :D

zoyo    70

Most of the time when I meet someone I like to ask where they are from. People usually have an interesting story to tell, especially if they arnt from Chernarus, asking them where they are from also may lead to them wanting to explain how they got to Chernarus. Not saying characters native to Chernarus have boring stories of course. My character for example is from Dubky, and has quite the backstory on how she survived the beginning of the outbreak.

Hope this helps a bit! :)

Just imagine how a character in a movie/TVshow would act (TWD). It's a dangerous world and there are dangerous people out there, so I don't think I'm gonna find some guy, walk up to him, and just say, "Sup."

Try and create scenarios using what you've got around you. Take note of the other characters apparel and apply it to how your character might feel. Instead of walking with confidence, walk with caution. 

Hell, I say if you can, observe who you are talking to before running down and saying hello, unless you're desperate or something, and try and catch them off gaurd. 

A example of how I would start is, "I'm not here to hurt you. See? Look. *he holds his rifle by the barrel pointing it up in the air* I saw you were looking through those buildings a little desperately,  thought you might've needed help." I'm -hopefully- creating a more tense situation rather then the casual "hi" by doing this.

To keep the momentum going really depends on who you might be rp'ing with, and the way the situation is.

Roleplaying, especially on this server where we can use emotion with our voice, is simply a form of improv acting. So, act! :P

Edit:

Also questions/phrases to avoid when first meeting someone.

"So what's your story?" (Don't just ask like that!)

"Nice [insert weapon here]"

"Cool pants, wanna trade?" (This actually happened.)

^You get my drift, yeh? :P

Hagger    117

Sometime ago I learned an important lesson how to keep conversations interesting and active: have an objective

It takes no time to get proper clothing you want, enough food to survive and guns + ammo. After people have everything they need they often reply: "No I have everything I need, thank you." And then they walk into different directions. (I admit I have fallen into this trap quite often).

What you should do, is have a some kinda objective. It doesn't matter if it is a real or fictional. Tell people that you are looking for salt and pepper or medical plants, say that you saw a weird tall creature in a woods and you are chasing it, tell that you just saw a working helicopter landing behind those hills. A good encounter with another survivors gets people moving and excited. Nothing is more boring than standing in a ring and just chatting about the weather and the recent events. Try to make up something that your character is trying to achieve and stick with it. Once in a while switch your objective to mix up your role play and avoid awkward re-encounters with the same people.

Usually I get irritated with people who walk up to me and say, "Hi." That would never happen in one of these situations, ever. You never see that in the Walking Dead, look at what Rick Grimes does to people who pull that shit. He immediately assumes they're suspicious and pesters them with questions.

Usually if someone gets the drop on me I have my character yell at them, asking them who they are and what they want. I'll ask them personal questions like "Have you ever robbed anyone? Killed anyone?" It just makes the opening conversation more interesting than not at all.

Mamba    0

Tell them they look tasty. I am sure the outcome will be slightly different.

Wulfe    6

Tell them they look tasty. I am sure the outcome will be slightly different.

You know I kind of want to try this.