Server time: 2017-08-20, 06:07

Sign in to follow this  
Tom212

Chernarussian without an accent, opinions.

Tom212    0

I've recently decided to RP a character who is Chernarussian as it fits in with a story I want to play.

I'm English and have a very obvious accent, I also feel I would be unable to pull of a Russian sounding accent that wouldn't be offensive.

I've patched over this by claiming his mother is english and his english is obviously very good.

I felt like this could be confusing to players and I don't want to go around breaking immersion.

Can I get some opinions on the matter please?

JohnHex    0

Stay true to your character view, ideals and story. As long as you want to play it don't worry about the accent.

Vorobye    34

Don't worry about the language too much, and certainly don't let it stop you from RPing Chernarussian.

After a while you'll probably pick up some words and a bit of accent naturally anyway ;)

DerrickStorm    34

As stated above - don't worry about it. I was born in Czech Republic, currently living in Poland and when I've role played Chernarussian characters some people said that my accent sounds foreign. ::P   So just RP and don't worry about anything!

Rick    19

People often get too caught up in accents. I believe it was Muntz who raised the point a while back, that people dont always speak with an accent. Many people pick up the dialect of their teacher, or respective country from which they learned it, and can emmulate it almost perfectly. I know in america for example, you can usually tell if somebody was taught spanish from somebody with a spanish dialect, or a latin dialect.

Seeing as your teacher in this case was English, it makes perfect logical sense.

First time I played a chernarussian I didn't do the accent too.I was too nervous to do it,and I just talked normally. One day I said fuck it and just tried it,and I have been doing it ever since.Is it good?Probably not,should I care?Not really.Give it time,if it works it works

Tom212    0

Thanks for the input guys, nice to hear people aren't opposed to this. Will stick with him now :).

DeeBlack    290

I'd say try the accent If you want to, If its offensive who gives a damn :P

Obviously if you've already worked it into your character to not have an accent, so be it.

Bad accents are still worth trying, though. I would know...

TLake    23

Yeah I would say do whatever feels more comfortable to you when you start. I have been messing with a few accents on the side now trying to gain more confidence and be a little more convincing for when I roll new characters. I personally see no problem with people roleplaying another nationality while using their native dialect. Don't let your vocal capacity hold you back from enjoying rp.

Dustup    118

As another suggestions, I have run into people who wrote in chat something along the lines of:

*the voice you hear is in a ........... accent

I dont see any issue with doing this if you aren't too confident with trying out an accent.

Wulfe    6

To be perfectly honest I really doubt anyone will be offended if you try to use an accent. They know you're trying. If you feel that your accent isn't good enough then don't worry about it.

Keep in mind though, the only way to get better at an accent is to practice it. You don't just suddenly become amazing at accents.

Fleety    4

In the end nobody really cares that much if you do it or not, but the truth is the more you try it the better you get at it. You can't just magically have a great Chernarussian accent, you have to start somewhere. So I'd encourage you to give it a go and you'll notice it consistently get better and better.

I suck at it but I do it anyways usually being around others who do it you get the hang of it. I've also noticed people who's secend language is English tend to do it better versus some who's native is English

Hagger    117

Accent adds a nice little touch to your characters authenticity but it is not mandatory in my opinion.

I usually fuss about my bad Finnish accent, so I tend to RP as european/nordic characters. Although, someone asked me just recently am I from north-England because of my accent? I guess I can soon start to RP as Brit.

Tom212    0

Thanks for all the feedback guys I'll be trying to work an accent in, I've been trying to learn to roll my r's today as I've never been able to do it. Shit's difficult... :(

An accent shouldn't be the determining factor for your character. My character was born and raised in Ireland for 16 years before moving. I would love to do a Northern Ireland accent for her but that will never happen; so I just roll with it.

Phoenix    1048

Obviously if you've already worked it into your character to not have an accent, so be it.

Bad accents are still worth trying, though. I would know...

^ Has best accent in whole DayZRP <3 :troll:

Jokes aside, go ahead and do it if it's what you enjoy most, thats what's important at the end of the day :)

Jamie    1181

Don't let an accent stop you from building up a great character. I'm crap with accents but i'm considering a new chernarussian alt. I'd recommend searching on youtube and check some videos on accents. If that doesn't work, then screw it. Go for it.

Franko    31

Dude when I first made Bazinov I attempted to do a russian accent, I sounded like a drowning cat... However after weeks of practice my accent is great.

Believe me, even if it's shit keep at it. You'll eventually get there ;)

Kurto    0

For me I dont really like when people claim a country and dont have an accent. I dont care if its a bad one you still get an A for effort and since Chernarus is a fake country it shouldnt offend anyone. also talk to people who RP as Chernarussians and ask for tips. I play an Irish character and got some tips from an Irish man and it has improved greatly. Before I sounded like I was a Leprechaun now I sound like I'm from Dublin. So it helps try to do one and after a while you'll get better its alright to have a bit of English in there as your mother was but it would also sound more Russian. If your father was in the picture. good Luck with whatever you choose!

Clumsy    142

There are a lot of people I know in RL that are from places that have a certain type of accent and they themselves don't actually have it. If you feel it'll make the character feel dull without an accent you can always be 'half' Chernarussian.

I had a girl I used to RP that was half and didn't really have the accent but I took the time to learn a couple words and sentences to make it seem like she grew up in a family that used a little of the language but was still an Americanized family. It's really all up to you to be honest. :) But goodluck! Don't let anything stop you from playing a character you want to play.

Guest Max   
Guest Max

Honestly, just go with the flow or text RP.

marksman48    34

My character was born in London, Canada. He's supposed to have a slight Canadian accent, but everytime I try and say "aboot", I loose it. Instead, I've made it so that he simply talks slowly and in a lower tone than I usually would. Works pretty well, except when I get nervous. Then I start to sound like I'm part of Alvin and the chipmunks...