Server time: 2017-10-22, 23:01
Safe Zone: CLOSING SOON

Sign in to follow this  
Pinkerchu

Introducing Amberly Parker

Pinkerchu    4

I was three years old when I took my first photo.

My father had bought a camera during the boxing day sale before my birth in February of 1991. A Canon EOS 10 S, which I apparently wanted to get my hands on from the moment I was grasping, but the March after my third birthday my mom left me alone to answer the phone and I took advantage of my first opening. I must have seen the value of it, as right after I took a very blurry picture of my hand, I dumped my toy baby on the floor and put the camera safely in my pint sized doll cradle instead. That Camera had the coolest feature, it came with a book of photo effects with barcode beside them for you to scan with your camera to lock in that style, a feature I haven't found in newer cameras but would kill for. Well, I would have, until I learned that I will kill for less.

My parents started buying me disposable cameras from the dollar store. The quality was awful, and not only because of my childish experimentation, but I still have those pictures at home arranged in a picture frame in an almost pretentious modern art sort of way. As I showed responsibility, my parents finally bought me a Canon Snappy LX for my sixth birthday, which really improved my film quality. I started taking photos purposely instead of randomly. My walls became covered in things I liked, people I loved, and whatever I thought would look nice.

Photography was a hobby to me, and I had no idea I could make a career out of it. While I was in high school, my classmates were saving for their first car, while I was saving for a Canon EOS Digital Rebel Xti. While they were taking selfies with their new cellphone cameras, I was using my dad's old 10 S. While they had a free period, I took photography.

I applied for an art scholarship after I was selected as the school's submission for it. Honestly, I didn't expect to be told that I won it, a full ride to the University of British Columbia, as long as I minored in photography. I hadn't planned to, really I had planned to go to a trade school, become a nurse, dental assistant or lab tech, paths that were popular in my graduating class. With this door open to me, I decided to Major in Psychology, and take only the required amount of Photography courses to qualify for my scholarship.

I had no idea how thankful I would be that students were allowed to swap their courses within the first week without financial penalty. I dropped all but one psychology courses in favor of a four year plan to be a photo journalist, and since I wanted to take advantage of this full ride, my four year plan included as many photography and writing classes as I could without losing complete sanity, plus an anthropology course or two for good measure.

It was during my years at University that independent online publishing really took off. People could write as little embellished truth as they wanted, without having to worry about the repercussions as credibility started to matter little as click bait became a growing source of revenue. People glanced over the website and journalist name in favor of scrolling through buzzfeed lists, and I realized that my passion may have caused me to waste my scholarship as my career path evolved in an unpredicted way.

I could only find work as a freelance journalist, but enough to get by in Vancouver's quickly growing cost of living due to the 2010 winter olympics. Working as a freelance journalist did offer me a great deal of experience as it came with unrealistic deadlines, and a lot of content flexibility. One day I could be writing about a political leader, and the next I could be writing about Celebrity baby names.

I started to realize that I needed to make a name for myself if I was ever going to evolve and be worth more. When Russia made it illegal to be gay, people were being hunted by gangs, raped, murdered publicly in ceremony, and their allies did not fare much better. This news exploded on the internet, people were calling for the UN and Olympic committee to cancel Sochi 2014, or move it to another location. I was hired to write several articles as Russia was trending on twitter, and pulling in add revenue from off site links, and so I immersed myself in the travesty, though I knew seeing it through the screen was not enough. Not being tied down to a company became my greatest opportunity.

After my apartment's lease was up, all my possessions were moved to my parent's house for safekeeping, turning my old room into a much more hospitable storage locker. Both my Mom and Dad took me to the airport to see me on my way to Russia, gifting me with a Polaroid Pic-300 and a journal so I could document my life in Russia for both them and myself. Though my Rebel T5i is much more powerful, I would be lying if I said I didn't have a lot of fun with it.

So it begins, my immersive life in Russia, pretending to be a Canadian Immigrant, though I was only staying on a work Visa. I arrived in early July, got a job, made friends and planned to leave six months later. My plans changed just like everything changed, and leaving was no longer an option.

After CNBS News told us about the terror night in Myshkino, and other towns soon started being quarantined in Chernarus, we all had a feeling something was up. I called my mom that morning to tell her and my dad that I was okay, and they made sure to list off every emergency preparedness tactic they knew, they never really understood how far away from Chernarus Moscow was, but I know they needed to hear it. And so I built a go bag with a few essentials, and made a mental note to fill up my bath tub with water before the water would be shut off, and then I waited, checking every news website I knew, and setting my twitter alerts to exclusively local and national news.

When I heard news of it being a rabies like infection that caused people to riot, I began to itch. This was my opportunity to get my name out there, and so I made my biggest mistake. I traveled to South Zagoria the next day with only my car, a change of clothes, and whatever food and water I could stuff into a backpack.

The border guard looked at me like I was crazy and even considered making me turn around or my own good, but I told him I was press and I was free to pass. The most surreal thing was seeing the long line of fully packed cars lined up at a closed border that all watched me as I drove past, like they hadn't seen a car come this way in days, but later I figured that they were probably worried I was a border official trying to send them back.

As I drove I quickly surfed the fuzz coming from my radio between news stations as I move in and out of service, keeping up to date with what was going on the best I could as I drove with my camera riding shotgun towards the south west. The last news station I could find on the radio was one that was kept up apparently illegally. The man speaking spoke hurried and frantic, informing people of the news blackout, and warning any media and press to act covertly. There was a loud pop before dead air, I tried to explain away the gunshot like noise as feedback from some sort of government transmission jammer, but I didn’t really convince mysel. And so I hid my camera.

I decided to divert and drive to Elektrozavodsk, picking up a map at an abandoned gas station, so I could save the battery on my phone just in case I had to abandon my car without a full charge. The Canadian in me left the price on the counter, regardless of the fact that the owners likely would not return.

It wasn't until I arrived in Chernogorsk did I find out what was really going on. People fleeing from as near as Balota spoke of people coming to life after death, reanimating and becoming what's popularly considered zombies. I kept a voice recorder going in my pocket to record everything I could covertly, figuring the ethics of recording without knowledge didn't really apply anymore. Who knows what laws apply anymore, as I was interviewing someone on camera in their basement when we heard the loudest explosive noise I have ever heard. Rushing outside we saw thick black smoke fill the red sky as people started to shout about a plane hitting a building near the hotel the UN was stationed in. I tied a shirt around my mouth as the air became ashen and hard to breath. I took this time to go, head east and ride the coast until I returned to the Russian border. The story was no longer worth it.

I wish I had consider that the amount of people huddled at the border waiting to cross was a horde waiting to happen. I quickly turned around as a snarling mass of people took sight of me. I have some nameless German person in a factory to thank for this car's ability to turn on a dime as I fled back to Svetlojarsk, easily managing to out distance them. When they were out of sight, I pulled to the side of the road and let reality sink in. This was the last time I cried.

It has been a year since this nightmare began. I have celebrated a Christmas starving after I traded my food for a single bullet, a birthday blowing out a lighter over a can of beans, and rang in the new year hiding under bags of manure after running from bandits.

I wasn’t going to let myself stay here another year.

Jamie    1422

Please fix the colour of text lol.

Pinkerchu    4

Please fix the colour of text lol.

I did, sorry xD. I copy pasted from Google Docs :D

Jamie    1422

I'll let you off this time.

Pinkerchu    4

I'll let you off this time.

I will not disappoint you again! I swear it!

Jamie    1422

Very impressive read. Usually I'm too lazy to read lore stories but I enjoyed this one. I suppose you'l use a rangefinder ingame as a camera? Can't wait to see more.

Pinkerchu    4

Very impressive read. Usually I'm too lazy to read lore stories but I enjoyed this one. I suppose you'l use a rangefinder ingame as a camera? Can't wait to see more.

Thank you! I sort of word vomited this and had to condense 9000 characters down to 2000, which was not easy at all. But a rangefinders is what I am hoping for. I am going to have my finger over screenshot like crazy :D

Fleety    4

Sweet Story! You weren't kidding about being a seasoned roleplayer.

If you weren't already planning on it you could start a thread on the Media forums where you can share some of the photos you've taken in-game, I've seen other in-game photographers do that.

Pinkerchu    4

If you weren't already planning on it you could start a thread on the Media forums where you can share some of the photos you've taken in-game, I've seen other in-game photographers do that.

Hehe, thanks ^_^, and I will absolutely start doing that if and when I get whitelisted. I am super antsy, I really can't wait to develop my character more.

Fleety    4

Hehe, thanks ^_^, and I will absolutely start doing that if and when I get whitelisted. I am super antsy, I really can't wait to develop my character more.

Sweet as, looking forward to it!

Pinkerchu    4

Welcome to the madness of RP ~ what a harrowing dark story, Nicely written^

Thank you so much :D, I just got whitelisted so I am so ready to get into this!

Heroz_Nick    21

Welcome to the madness of RP ~ what a harrowing dark story, Nicely written^

Thank you so much :D, I just got whitelisted so I am so ready to get into this!

Good job, remember the do's and dont's of RP and enjoy the game Pikachina >^.^<

Ramon    360

Nice story! Nice to see a new person to the community making a story on the forums! ;) A bit hard to read with all the white text.

DeeBlack    310

I had a look and I must say I'm impressed, nice work.

Q-Ball    1

Your story is an inspiration! I like the fact that you started pre-apocalypse... really provides insight into who your character was before. Great Job

Darion    154

Good Read! Continue this maybe with a Diary or such you have great writing abilities!

Pussy    382

Really great read! I agree with everyone who says that it is clear you have had some role playing experience before. The writing was really well done, and very, very descriptive.

I'll be sure to keep an eye out for your new entries! c:

Pinkerchu    4
:D I guess I have to get some more writing in since you all are flattering me! I plan to do some diary entries along with some photos I've been taking in game ^_^

Sign in to follow this