Server time: 2017-08-20, 07:48

Sign in to follow this  
Yoshi

Posting on radio transmissions

Yoshi    54

When you post a radio transmission to someone else, it should be meant for them only, right? Would it not be considered inciting rage, and nearly flaming, for someone to come about into someone else's post, meant to be between two people or groups? Would someone random just blurt out their thoughts over the radio like that? Following it up with a snarky *emote* doesn't exactly help it either. The level of troll surrounding such an act seems something WAY out of character and place for, well, anyone, really.

This type of thing having been done before, by people who were on the verge of perma-ban, seems a bit like that type of person's taste for activity. But should this be the thing we can expect from people with a better reputation in the community, or from staff alike?

Enlighten me, please.

Hamakaze    12

Radio comms usually end up in a cluster fuck. And I personally have stopped using them since firstly every one is apparently a big macho man over the radio and secondly because people use [All Frequencies] which from my real life experience is near to impossible and drives me nuts.

Phoenix    1048

Radio comms usually end up in a cluster fuck. And I personally have stopped using them since firstly every one is apparently a big macho man over the radio and secondly because people use [All Frequencies] which from my real life experience is near to impossible and drives me nuts.

+1 

I think youre right it annoys me too

I don't use them often myself only occasionally

Defiance    96

I only become frustrated by the complete lack of effort a lot of people put into their radio chatter posts. I use the radio chatter as a means to express what my character does during his down-time, and I also use it to create or drive forward a narrative. Too many people rush their posts and don't end up saying anything that is even worthy of a reply.

I'd PM the person in question, but that's just me. I've been trying to respond creatively with each post, or I'll simply not respond at all.

Yoshi    54

Yeah. I had stopped replying to them for the longest time. I felt it necessary to correct someone for their misinformation given over the radio, however, it just turned into another cluster fuck. I give up…

-_-

I usually use radio chatter (on the forum) in one of two ways:

1. I broadcast on the common frequency for all to hear - anyone can comment.

2. I broadcast TO a secure frequency that I have received or been invited to in-game. Whenever possible, I prefer to do this actually via TS, but sometimes the forum is the quicker way to go. In these cases, I expect only the person/people who have the secure frequency OF THE RECIPIENT to respond.

When RECEIVING radio messages, I expect that someone who wants to reach me on a secure frequency is transmitting TO my frequency AND that I have given them said frequency in game. Again, I expect only the person transmitting to hear/respond, and anyone I may have in the same room (IG) with me to hear what's coming through my radio.

To avoid confusion though, secure radio chatter is probably best done via PM.

Most people I've seen respect the secure frequencies.

Yoshi    54

I only become frustrated by the complete lack of effort a lot of people put into their radio chatter posts. I use the radio chatter as a means to express what my character does during his down-time, and I also use it to create or drive forward a narrative. Too many people rush their posts and don't end up saying anything that is even worthy of a reply.

I'd PM the person in question, but that's just me. I've been trying to respond creatively with each post, or I'll simply not respond at all.

I should probably stop posting on radio chatter, then. I used to try harder, writing out my Japanese accent. At first, people understood it. Then, one day, as if something had changed drastically, everyone said they couldn't understand the phonetics anymore, even though I used the same ones I always had. 

So much for time well spent...

The answer is simple; force all radio transmissions to be audio recordings:

• No more snarky emotes
  • Not as many radio warriors when we hear the voice of the pasty teenager who's reading the words: "Y-y-you didn't seem so t-tough at GM yesterday, mate!"
  • More effort is required to do create radio transmissions, raising the standard and allowing for high quality content to shine.

Yoshi    54

-snip-

Yeah. I think I walked into that one, then. It was directed at me and my group via the name, but posted as [Open Frequency]. Speaking of which, a post of the same manner has popped up, directed at you. Speak of the damn devil...

always gotta have that one douche who goes on and write

"go do us a favor and kill yourself"

when it comes to that, I tend to ignore the comments like that. but when you broadcast a threat to the whole island, it's natural you'll hear shit about it. if it's directed at one person, while friends might come and in and out to interfere. often with situations, I'm partially involved in. I'll post or when I'm bored Idk. radio chatter is a cluster of fuck

Defiance    96

I should probably stop posting on radio chatter, then. I used to try harder, writing out my Japanese accent. At first, people understood it. Then, one day, as if something had changed drastically, everyone said they couldn't understand the phonetics anymore, even though I used the same ones I always had. 

So much for time well spent...

Effort put into RP is effort that I recognize and am extremely grateful for, no matter the medium. You shouldn't stop!

NishiUrban    79

I seem to rarely respond to radio chatter, but have done so with text as well as audio. Primarily however, if possible, I try to convey a message over ts when it comes to radio transmissions. That being said, I try to make it a personal point to not get involved in radio transmissions that clearly have nothing to do with my characters.

If you enjoy making radio messages, I agree with Jack, keep doing your thing man. Some people feel more comfortable with typing something out, rather than saying it out loud. Typing also lets you take your time, and articulate your words the way you want them to be conveyed.

What you mean this?

*wakes up from a night of partying, drinking and smashing scrubs at GM and places his radio to his lips as he takes a hit from his Cuban cigar whilst stood on a cliff at the edge of the world.*

"Who the fuck are you little child that I have no purpose to fight with?, I challenge you to a 1v1 radio duel"

*sheds a tear as comes to the sudden realisation that he has no idea what he is saying.*

"Please notice me..."

*smashes every radio he has , eats a banana and then jumps off the cliff.*

Yeh you could say radio chatter is becoming pretty boring nowadays.

Yoshi    54

What you mean this?

*wakes up from a night of partying, drinking and smashing scrubs at GM and places his radio to his lips as he takes a hit from his Cuban cigar whilst stood on a cliff at the edge of the world.*

"Who the fuck are you little child that I have no purpose to fight with?, I challenge you to a 1v1 radio duel"

*sheds a tear as comes to the sudden realisation that he has no idea what he is saying.*

"Please notice me..."

+1

Holy shit! I'm dying laughing! xD

That was perfect!

Boston    648

What you mean this?

"Please notice me..."

I feel like I'm being targeted here...

In all seriousness, yes, Radio Chatter is full of radio warriors, and it does get boring, BUT, some pretty interesting things happen IG when you run into these people. You could call them out on how tough they are over the radio but too scared to do anything face-to-face. 

What about characters that are just that batshit? Like mine...?

Yoshi    54

-snip-

I feel like I'm being targeted here...

In all seriousness, yes, Radio Chatter is full of radio warriors, and it does get boring, BUT, some pretty interesting things happen IG when you run into these people. You could call them out on how tough they are over the radio but too scared to do anything face-to-face. 

I don't think you're being targeted. No one in particular here is being targeted. This is a generalized discussion.

Volke    132

Well if you post it on an open frequency and it is relevant to their character - who are you to say that they shouldn't be allowed to message that? If it's down right trolly like Blit'z example then report the post as you would bad rp and the like. Some people might randomly blurt thoughts over the radio like that. Usually radio chatter is a back and forth yelling fest, but their certainly are some posts that are useless.. I personally , dislike people who don't respond and just rp out holding the transmitting button, project their thoughts onto the world, and close it. It doesn't give me any IC information nor does it ...please stop

LoneStarrr    84

Personally, I put a lot of effort into pretty much every post I make. I do not like to leave things unfinished or badly-worded. If I can't muster up a good narrative/story then I just plain won't post at all. If fact, that's just what I did today. After posting in the radio chatter last night and having a little back and forth, I went to bed. I got up this morning and was excited to reply, however, I just simply couldn't write anything good. So, I've just let other people go at it on the post while I put together a response. Honestly, as long as people put effort into their posts and make them entertaining, I don't care if they barge in on my chat. The more the merrier, huh? Plus, it can sometimes be a good thing to have input from others, especially if things become too heated.

TLake    23

I feel that most radio posts are just made with little to no forethought and it shows. I feel if you can't post something meaningful you just appear as some casual. Maybe this is because of my background and time spent role-playing in general, but it is what it is. Sometimes I notice people posting who have nothing really to give to the rp on the radio forum and I feel something should be done about it. I know no ooc is aloud but sometimes I wish you could just delete peoples post that are not up to snuff or just nonconstructive and give nothing to the rp. For the most part I try very hard or put effort into my posts even if they are kinda trolly and snarky, because that's my character in a nutshell. Maybe some rp guides on forum based rp should be handed out or something.

In real life if you hear a radio transmition on a certain station you can give your input.. making it strictly between 2 groups or 2 players is not role play like that's just like a cell phone call and kind of a waste IMO... I think even "radio warriors" can say what they please to whoever if thats their role play. Why get mad at other peoples role play?

Rolle    2450

"My character is crazy" - the most overused excuse when explaining bad RP since 2012.

OP, I agree that some of these are just pure troll and the "all frequencies" posts are pissing me off as well, but I don't have time to deal with them. Perhaps it is time for some more restrictive regulations in the radio chatter forum and have mods and LMs enforce them.

Guest Vittoria   
Guest Vittoria

>random member posts edgy shit on open frequency

>guy says shut the fuck up and end yourself

who wouldn't

Boston    648

"My character is crazy" - the most overused excuse when explaining bad RP since 2012.

OP, I agree that some of these are just pure troll and the "all frequencies" posts are pissing me off as well, but I don't have time to deal with them. Perhaps it is time for some more restrictive regulations in the radio chatter forum and have mods and LMs enforce them.

I actually haven't gotten in a BadRP report in quite a while, if that's what you're making reference to.

Additionally, I role play my character quite well. The character development has flowed to such a point to where he's at the lowest point in his life. I've grown used to playing this character, and he's not necessarily the typical 'crazy' character you might think him to be. The character development also helps to me to portray the character realistically.

Just because the majority cannot RP a personality/disability correctly, doesn't mean one or a few can't correctly...

Joules    228

While I can kind of see where volke is coming from, I do understand, and do myself, the need/wish to use the radio chatter as a way to develop my character, whether it's me actually saying something, saying something brief, just non IC broadcast text, or using morse code as well. What I wish was done less however is the radio warrior spirit, whether directed at someone in particular or when someone unrelated to the situation chimes in telling those talking to go kill themselves. It seems very pointless IMO and just dangerous if someone listening actually knows you. I try to be creative as much as possible when I talk in the radio chatter threads,

Defiance    96

While I can kind of see where volke is coming from, I do understand, and do myself, the need/wish to use the radio chatter as a way to develop my character, whether it's me actually saying something, saying something brief, just non IC broadcast text, or using morse code as well. What I wish was done less however is the radio warrior spirit, whether directed at someone in particular or when someone unrelated to the situation chimes in telling those talking to go kill themselves. It seems very pointless IMO and just dangerous if someone listening actually knows you. I try to be creative as much as possible when I talk in the radio chatter threads,

The morse code stuff has been weird, but I will say that your recent post with the half-broken radio was really clever. 

For all the bad radio chatter out there -- There's also a lot of people who are doing it really well and should keep it up! I love forum RPing and the radio chatter brings me back to my glory years.