Server time: 2017-10-17, 04:01
Safe Zone: OPEN

Sign in to follow this  
Brad

What's in a Name? (RP Name Guide)

Brad    158

Lately I've been seeing more and more people join the servers with invalid RP Names, here are a few tips to character name creation.

1. You must have a First and Last name

When entering the server your name must be a combination of a First and Last name (Anthony Samson).  This helps to distinguish who you are in game as it matches up to your GUID.  Sorry but there cannot be any single name Madonna's on the server.  This does not mean your character has to ever use the last name in game, but you must be distinguishable if ever we need to look through logs to find your name

2.  No Famous Names

Famous names are a bit controversial as what one person defines as famous might differ from someone else.  A good rule here, is if you know it is a famous name, DON'T USE IT.  This server is about creativity, and it really is a simple thing to come up with a unique character name.  Obvious names (Bill Clinton, Tom Cruise, Angelina Jolie, Mickey Mouse) will be kicked immediately and not allowed back on until changed.  If you aren't sure google the name, if a ton of hits pop up for someone who is very famous, avoid the name.  If you see a name that you feel is famous, please report it to staff.  Staff reserves the right to judge any name they deem to be famous or not, and act accordingly.

3.  No Troll Names

Similar to famous names we don't want goofy names that break immersion.  Names like "Seymour Buttz and Amanda Hegankis" will be dealt with accordingly, and if they break any other community rule, could be met with a more severe punishment.  Also make sure it is actually a name, and not something like "Tree Climber, Superman, or The Shadow".  Also try to avoid generic names like Bill Billington or Eric Erikson.  Be CREATIVE

4. Proper Titles

Titles are ok but not at the expensive of the rest of the name.  For instance if you are a doctor and want to use the name Dr. Anthony Samson, that is fine, but if the whole thing doesn't fit, rather than dropping the first or last name (Dr. Samson, Dr. Anthony), don't use the title unless it can fit.  The title should not take precedence over the name.  Things like army titles (Pvt. Gen. etc.) are ok but avoid using things like Lord, or Lady which offer no real purpose.  Realistically the recommendation here would be to not use a title at all, as then no one can metagame what your character does by their RP name.

5. Abbreviations

If your name is too long and you must abbreviate, the recommendation would be to abbreviate the first name and not the last name. 

For example USE For Anthony Samson - A. Samson.   Not Anthony S.   The reason for this is that the last name is usually more unique and the first initial last name combination will usually allow you to be found, however if you abbreviate the last name and someone with the same first name and last intial is on, there could be a mix up

6. Do Not Use Another RP'ers Name.

Simply put, don't do it.  There are a multitude of reasons why this is a bad idea.

7. Nicknames

The use of a nickname is fine.  You are more than welcome to address yourself using the nickname.  For instance  Paula "babe" Hamilton, would be suitable and she could introduce herself as such, or any combination she felt like saying.

Well that's about it.  

To Sum it up.  Be creative without being a troll and your RP Name will be just fine :)

Any questions feel free to post on this thread, or check with a staff member.  If I'm missing anything post it here and I can add it to the thread.

Matt    24

Simply put, don't do it.  There are a multitude of reasons why this is a bad idea.

See I don't think this one is really fair, I play under the name Matt Brown, and playing on the server I have noticed someone had to resort to calling them selves Matthew Brown because we share the same name so thats more just pot luck if ya come across someone with the same name.

Brad    158

See I don't think this one is really fair, I play under the name Matt Brown, and playing on the server I have noticed someone had to resort to calling them selves Matthew Brown because we share the same name so thats more just pot luck if ya come across someone with the same name.

Yeah and it might happen, this was meant more so as, don't do it on purpose.  Also make pulling logs difficult when there is two of the same name on in the same server.

Matt    24

Yeah and it might happen, this was meant more so as, don't do it on purpose.  Also make pulling logs difficult when there is two of the same name on in the same server.

Ofcourse just pointing it out :P     And thats why there is the GUID rather than searching by the name in the logs ;)

Rory    1557

+1 Thanks for making this thread

The amount of times I had to poke Shark & Spartan for people with invalid RP names, hopefully people will actually read this :)

Shark    0

Who would ever use a famous name?

No idea.

But while you try to figure it out, enjoy this John Denver song...

Boston    768

7. Nicknames

The use of a nickname is fine.  You are more than welcome to address yourself using the nickname.  For instance  Paula "babe" Hamilton, would be suitable and she could introduce herself as such, or any combination she felt like saying.

Well that's about it.  

My character's name is Norman Casey. I understand no famous names, but if I said Norman 'Bates' Casey, would that be allowed?

To be fair, I've earned the nickname, in-game...

Brad    158

7. Nicknames

Well that's about it.  

My character's name is Norman Casey. I understand no famous names, but if I said Norman 'Bates' Casey, would that be allowed?

To be fair, I've earned the nickname, in-game...

Sounds alright. (it might not fit though)  it is a tribute to a character, while still maintaining your original name, rather than the fully using a famous name.   If people go around calling you Bates, rather than Norman Bates, I think that's better as well

Faith    726

I mean I called my character Riviaira but I put Riviaira (River) Dellouise. Because people call me River or Rivi.

Joules    274

This thread, I like it. ANOTHER *smashes computer monitor*

In all seriousness, I do think a thread like this needs to be around. I've seen many names that just don't really make sense, and I can't imagine how they are being used seriously. It really isn't that hard to come up with a realistic and non famous name that you like.

One thing I wish though, that maybe I'm just an idiot, but I wish that it would be possible to allow for using a different name for your character in game. Not a nick name, but a cover name. For instance, the former Mayor Haas is being hunted. I sometimes textrp. It would be very easy for someone to metagame my characters name and pass it off as if they knew me based on the fact that they saw me emote or textrp. I currently use a cover name, so if what I wish was possible was, I would appear on the game as that cover name while still being Tucker Haas.

so much for Lord Kenway "Fortune" Lee...

life ruined, hope crushed

Fleety    4

How would somebody new to server avoid doing this as an accident? Unless you are only referring to people intentionally taking somebodys name, which is a breach of the impersonation rule

Janana    28

How would somebody new to server avoid doing this as an accident? Unless you are only referring to people intentionally taking somebodys name, which is a breach of the impersonation rule

Don't do it on purpose. If you were newer, I'd suggest just trying to avoid an overly popular, or overused generic name like Cora or Max and use something like this to guide your inspiration in character creations.

Grimnir    659

Don't do it on purpose. If you were newer, I'd suggest just trying to avoid an overly popular, or overused generic name like Cora or Max and use something like this to guide your inspiration in character creations.

I would suggest searching the name with the "search for players" function. You have no absolute proof but it helps.

Janana    28

I would suggest searching the name with the "search for players" function. You have no absolute proof but it helps.

Stalking the site users is a good way to do it, yes. If you were dangerous enough, you could get on the servers to glance at rosters to ensure there isn't any duplicating. I don't suggest it though.

Coming to your point on military titles, and needing to be a unique name for the purpose of identifying me to the admins, but also keeping with RP - Could I use something like LT.W.Blackthorne? Frankly, William wouldn't fit anyway, and my name is NOT "Will". Most soldiers are of the mindset that their last name is their moniker, and that their new first name is "Private" (or whatever rank they hold) at least to anyone they interact with in a military context (whether allies, enemies, or civilians).

Brad    158

Coming to your point on military titles, and needing to be a unique name for the purpose of identifying me to the admins, but also keeping with RP - Could I use something like LT.W.Blackthorne? Frankly, William wouldn't fit anyway, and my name is NOT "Will". Most soldiers are of the mindset that their last name is their moniker, and that their new first name is "Private" (or whatever rank they hold) at least to anyone they interact with in a military context (whether allies, enemies, or civilians).

That would be just fine.  Your last name gives the most identifying feature, and with the tag and first initial it would work.

zoyo    70

Good guide, should be useful to new players.

Another thing that people make mistakes on though, is making Chernarussian characters, and giving them Russian names. I hate seeing people calling themselves Chernarussian but saying their name is Yuri or some common Russian name.

Papa Tachanka    42

Good guide, as always contributing to the community in a positive way brad!

Asriel    0

Another thing that people make mistakes on though, is making Chernarussian characters, and giving them Russian names. I hate seeing people calling themselves Chernarussian but saying their name is Yuri or some common Russian name.

What if their parents are immigrants from Russia? 

There are plenty of situations where this is fine, as long as they have a backstory to back it up.

Felli    65

There are plenty of situations where this is fine, as long as they have a backstory to back it up.

+1. Also, just because you are from a specific country you don't have to have a stereotypical name for that country. A lot of names are used worldwide rather than just in one place.

MagicMike    69

frequently people who are oocly from another country then their character fall into the trap of making a stereotype guy.

once met an american rancher with a thick as fuck southern accent named, Billy Jones...

zoyo    70

-snip-

Yes, I understand what you're saying. What I was referring to here was people claiming to be non-immigrants. People who's family is from Chernarus. Yes, that doesn't mean they cant have a Russian or any other foreign name, but its not what you'd expect. Chernarussians are more ethnically Czech than Russian, and they Chernarussians typically didn't like Russia, so giving your kid a Russian name would be pretty strange.

I'm not saying you should limit yourself creatively when making a Chernarussian Character. In my first post I was mainly talking about being more realistic, and less complicated when writing your character. You must understand that many people who are new to the community dont take the time to read all the lore, and think that Chernarus is just part of Russia.

Sign in to follow this