Safe Zone: OPEN

Sign in to follow this  
Para

Changing the rules on robberies.

Do you agree with my suggestion?  

81 members have voted

1. 1. Do you agree with my suggestion?

Para    312

This is something that has frustrated me quite a lot recently. Being robbed is fine, it's part of the game, but what really irritates me is when a group decides to forcefully swap / remove your jacket and especially swap pants with you. This happens to me and several people I know in almost every random robbery that happens.

My problems with it:

• It's unrealistic as it would take time to forcefully take somebody's pants off, your pants off and then swap them.
  • It has been mentioned in various places that forcing somebody to strip in front of you to check for weapons etc (to loot their stuff) is badrp. I find this is on the same level.
  • It would be very strange to do in a real life situation and it happens in seconds (also linking back to it being unrealistic.) Even if you were in handcuffs / tied up, unless the purpose was for torture (e.g: carving a symbol into a person) it is strange to just take somebody's jacket off of them. It is even more concerning when this is somebody's pants as it strips them naked.
  • The idea is to leave complying hostages with something behind. Taking everything from them hints at gear > RP which is also something that many people fixate on when doing small scale robberies.

So, what I'm suggesting is that when it comes to robbing people it be a rule that a person is left with their pants and maybe their jacket. This whole situation of having your pants swapped in half a second is a very strange thing to role play out.

Possible answers to questions you may have:

Q1: What if the person is hiding weapons (or other things) in their jacket pockets or in their pants?

A1: While handcuffed, you can view the person contents in their pants and jacket anyway which would be the equivalent of forcefully turning out their pockets. I do not see this as an issue because this could regularly happen. As well as this, their is the option to frisk people for weapons / sharp objects as well as radios. If the person did not tell you ooc they had a weapon and drop it then that would surely be another rule break (powergaming).

Q2: What rule break would it come under?

A2: Most likely BadRP as it is a very poor form of role play. It may also come under Gear > RP.

(As I get more questions asked I will edit the post with my answer and who asked the question)

(If you're going to vote 'No' I'd like to know the reasoning behind your decision)

Thumper    0

Well, we used to make people physically strip. To check for weapons, trade clothes, what have you. That soon came to be classified as Bad RP as well, but is much better RP than magically trading clothing.

Spartan    1230

I never really payed attention to it till the last robbery were I was involved in. The robbers swapped pants and a jacket with my buddy while he was restrained. We later had a talk about it and thought it was weird aswell but we didn't spoke about it anymore.

To RP it realisticly you can't take someones jacket off as they are in cuffs because the sleeves wouldn't come lose. Swapping pants can't just be done in a second, that has to be RPed out aswell.

This is definitly a discussing point, good suggestion Lewis.

Sam B    0

Some people argue that one problem that might arise is in robberies where the robber doesn't have any form of restraints, therefore making it impossible to check the persons clothing for weapons, however, in answer to this, they can simply emote patting the person down, or tell them to turn all of their pockets inside out, forcing them to drop everything inside them on the ground if they do turn the pockets inside out. People need to remember, its rp, not about gear, why not rp out patting them down or turning there pockets inside out? it is the little details that make it so much more immersive imo.

I agree completely with this, and one more thing i would like to point out is that you cant just swap pants with people, pants and shirts come in different sizes, everyone in game isn't gonna fit into the same clothing.

Montanez    25

Don't try to fix something that isn't broken. This is not an issue and it shouldn't be changed, the fact that you had some bad bandits coming up to you and swap gear with you does not mean that's the way every bandit acts. Swap/switch gear isn't good RP, but i don't think we should make a huge deal out of it as it would just lead to people reporting other people just because they "swap my jacket."

Randle    928

Don't try to fix something that isn't broken. This is not an issue and it shouldn't be changed, the fact that you had some bad bandits coming up to you and swap gear with you does not mean that's the way every bandit acts. Swap/switch gear isn't good RP, but i don't think we should make a huge deal out of it as it would just lead to people reporting other people just because they "swap my jacket."

Pretty much this.

Grihm    16

As long as people have nothing to fear, this will just go on and on. Getting shot and re-spawning is not a fear factor at all, and then you see things start to slip. The RP is the first to suffer.

Resento    6

[video=youtube]

You yourself say that this isn't good roleplay, so what's the problem exactly?

This happens too often. Last time I wasn't even aware of the swap until hours later, when I switched back to third-person mode. Does that sound realistic to you? Someone simply dragged with his cursor his shirt over my character's shirt.

That is beyond poor roleplay, that's non-roleplay and gear > roleplay.

What I can suggest, however, is allow it with roleplay boundaries;

• Disallow doing so with pants (for that is already beyond ridiculous and also might make the player playing the victim character uncomfortable).
  • If the robber takes the time to write a decent emote "*takes off his jacket, empties its pockets onto the ground, then takes off the jacket of X. Afterwards, he wears X's jacket and dresses X with his own jacket, also putting his items into his new jacket.*" then it should be fine.
  • In addition to the roleplay emote, execute it realistically - naturally it is impossible to take off a shirt/jacket of a hand-cuffed person (and that is just one example, provided from my personal gameplay experience).

Phatal    50

All I'm going to say is that if I rob someone, and I have a ruined coat, and he has an I ruined shirt. I'm taking his shirt. Real life bullshit comparisons aside, I'm not going to leave someone's untattered shirt on him if I need one. It's basic human nature. Bob has rock, Joe has two rocks, Bob uses rock to get other rocks from joe. If someone robs you. You're theirs. You and your life belong to them now. I don't understand how you can try and realistically argue that someone can't take my clothes or leave me with other clothes, because it's not fair or "realistic". Human nature tells us that we will always take what's better to give us a better advantage. This terrible version of a survival game is too buggy and too exploitable to make nit pick rules like this. If I I cuff someone to emote taking his jacket off then leaving mine or putting mine on him. He can sit there and beat my brains out until I'm unconcious. It's not broken. Leave it alone.

IAmJackBandit    77

I don't believe this is a real big issue, as long as I am provided with some good RP and left with a chance of survival I don't give a damn what you take...I don't think its a big enough issue to make/change a rule...

Montanez    25

You yourself say that this isn't good roleplay, so what's the problem exactly?

This happens too often. Last time I wasn't even aware of the swap until hours later, when I switched back to third-person mode. Does that sound realistic to you? Someone simply dragged with his cursor his shirt over my character's shirt.

That is beyond poor roleplay, that's non-roleplay and gear > roleplay.

What I can suggest, however, is allow it with roleplay boundaries;

• Disallow doing so with pants (for that is already beyond ridiculous and also might make the player playing the victim character uncomfortable).
  • If the robber takes the time to write a decent emote "*takes off his jacket, empties its pockets onto the ground, then takes off the jacket of X. Afterwards, he wears X's jacket and dresses X with his own jacket, also putting his items into his new jacket.*" then it should be fine.
  • In addition to the roleplay emote, execute it realistically - naturally it is impossible to take off a shirt/jacket of a hand-cuffed person (and that is just one example, provided from my personal gameplay experience).

Bad RP reports happen as often as KoS reports. Hey seems like you get robbed a lot, next time it happens and somebody swaps your shirt, make a report and lets see how the outcome goes.

-snip-

I don't think they're arguing the fact that you shouldn't take everything away from them, they're arguing the fact that swap/switch gear (dragging from their body to your inventory) is unrealistic, which seems completely silly to me and the OP shouldn't be making a huge deal out of it.

Volke    131

I agree with this - I'm the type of person who insists on full body rp checks for radios, not just //do I find one , I'll say - "where did you look?" Regarding Jackets & Pants - I think this should be rp'd out rather then just swapping like it's so casual. So +1 for me

Tobzor511    1

I understand what you mean and I agree but the problem is that we have to think about that this is still a game, but i wouldnt have a bigger issue if this was a rule the only problem is that I am a really slow typer

Para    312

I'm not saying you shouldn't swap everything. My issue is only with the switching of pants (and kinda jackets) with half a second. It is unrealistic, puts the person in the cuffs in a very awkward RP situation which is technically stripping them without their permission. The Swapping of pants and jackets is very unrealistic in the situation and does fairly largely show a view of Gear > RP (because it is quick and there is no rp for doing a lengthy and awkward process).

Kanen    108

No -1, 

I think that in some situations if a man has a raincoat or some decent clothing that makes you look better off  then go ahead take it. There shouldn't be restrictions to what we can take. You get robbed you deal with what you loose imo.

Jabba    0

+1 It is an RP server and I feel this would benefit hostile situations. All situations where I have had my clothes taken off in seconds ends badly and sometimes no RP at all.

IAmJackBandit    77

I mean its not that immersion breaking imo...don't think its that serious for a rule change/addition. Yes its a roleplay server, but you can't always bring "real life" scenarios into the picture because this is just a game...

TLake    23

Here's my perspective this game is already unrealistic so why are you crying about pants? In the real world if I wanted to rob someone I wouldn't talk to them I wouldn't bond with them. I would shoot them in the back of the head before they could notice me and strip them of whatever I wanted, this way I could get away with my crimes in the apocalypses. Instead I must initiate on people and give them a chance even if I have the drop on them, don't talk about 'realism' when the game already doesn't have that. You're grasping at straws at best.

Jester    48

I completely disagree. Its a game.

In the real world, you would have a bullet in your head well before someone was nice enough to capture, feed and take care of you. So unless your suggesting we also change our initiation rules and make it a free for all. I would say being able to strip gear off a person isn't as " Immersion breaking " having to initiate on people, knowing your target has a radio and is silently talking to allies, having to ask permission to perma scar someone when you have them tied up and helpless.

The only thing a rule like this would do is cause more pointless reports by many more salty kids.

Jack the Ripper    347

I remember one time I was taken captive and cuffed almost immediately. A few minutes of interrogation took place before one of the guys voiced that he liked my jacket, before removing it and replacing it with his own. So I asked:

"How the bleedin' hell did yah take me jacket off?"

to which he replied:

"What are you talking about? I forced your arms out of the sleeves and slid your body out of it."

to which I replied:

"You slid me arms out of the sleeves? When I'm cuffed?"

He told me to shut up after that. The RP was great for the most part of the encounter, and I found that particular part pretty amusing, but at the same time, people can view it as unrealistic.

However ask yourself: you see someone wearing a jacket that looks more effective than your own. Perhaps it is water proof. Perhaps it has more pockets. Yet their hands are bound. For those people that use rope or wire for binding, there isn't a simple "untie" or "untangle" option, only a "Cut binds" option.

For those using duct tape, for SOME reason, your character decides to used the ENTIRE roll to bind someones hands, rather than a small portion. So, the robber would need two or more sets of bindings if they notice a person has a piece of torso clothing they want.

My point is, though it may seem unrealistic, sometimes you just have to make do with what you've got, and not over-complicate things when dealing with a game that has its flaws.

Kinda in the middle on this , Yes I can see the points being put forward and yes I agree with them when robbing people I never touch there jacket or pants more of *takes gloves off* or *Unclips vest and removes* I tend to stay clear of the pants and jacket as it is weird however on the flip side I also agree with montenez I dont think its that big of a deal and do see it causing more problems than what its worth to just put up with the few bad bandits.

Davos    5

I have to say that a lot of good points of been made. Using actions-in-asterisks is common for any type of action that is not done within the game mechanics. I am all for being as realistic as possible when playing in this game, and feel that if someone is going to go through the trouble of taking your clothing, that you should be forced to strip, which of course is BadRP at this time.

In the defense of those that force clothing swapping, please keep in mind that in most post-apocalyptic movies, games, and stories there is a reoccurring event. This is taking peoples boots and jackets. It happens constantly. Not as a joke, but because their clothing is in better condition or might have more pockets. Of course most of the time it is being looted from the dead, but it still happens. Next let me mention that this happens in real life as well. It is not uncommon for people or troops who are under supplied to loot the dead, or even take someone's boots and leave them with their ratty pair. When your goal is self preservation, especially in Chernarus where it is a colder climate, then you are gonna do what it takes to keep warm.

This will include thicker pants, better boots, and nicer jackets. If I am wearing a damaged jacket, and I am robbing some guy with a nice warm looking jacket. Then yes, I am taking that, too bad for that fool. He should just be happy I decided not to shoot him.

That being said, I agree that it would make it much more fun to have to untie him and take it off of him with emotes. Same thing with backpacks, if someone is going to take it. The problem with all of this is that game mechanics don't support the time thing. They have it set up so that you can loot someone when tied up which is nice, but I dont see why people don't search you for weapons first while you are tied up, remove them, and then untie you if they plan to take your clothing. That works just fine. Maybe the time doesn't match what it would in real life, but at the same time you can only expect so much realism from a game that gives you the four minute fire.

Does a rule need made? I don't believe so. I think that like all things involving roleplaying, people need to be taught and learn to get better. This is part of that. If people see people taking the time to do this stuff, then they will likely repeat it, thinking that it's the normal thing to do. I think something like this should be added to the Bandit Guide that is out there though, that would be nice.

Fleety    4

I feel that since this is a very minor problem, adding it as a rule would just end up causing more problems than it would solve. There is no point over-complicating things, although it is pretty silly.

Franko    31

I like the suggestion Lewis but I'm gonna pass on this one.