Server time: 2017-08-19, 11:08

Sign in to follow this  
Hagger

How to survive without guns?

xIO_VAPEG0D_OIx    750

But how can I RP my super soldier character without an AKM with a Pristine drum mag?

Roach    1535

I like this guide! I lived 4 months without using any gun with my character Quinn Bauer. It's absolutely possible, well it used to be when you could actually melee zombies in the head but yeah you can totally live without a gun. If you're a passive person and don't plan to rob anyone then chances are you'll never get to use the gun on someone anyways since they will hold you up before you even have a chance to use your gun.

Anyways +1

As a true American I cannot condone what this guide represents. But, well written and thought out.

Tewudin    44

Yeah, there are multiple ways of surviving and this is just one of them. I agree that you really don't need weapons but at the same time it's just the POV. Someone else might find that using guns is easier than talking his way out of troubles.

Saalpeter    3

I did not have given any shot in 0.58 yet, because I don't see many animals or infected.

Bow or Crossbow combined with machete, baseball bat, ice axe or hatchet is kinda a nice combination for sneaky stuff. So to say a life without firearms, which can be very fulfilling. It is also fun to deal with these weapons, because it is not easy to find plenty of bolts or composite arrows and bons. I like to be busy with my gear and weapons are a part of it. You can hunt animals and also kill infected in silence.:)

But a life without weapons seems (for me) kinda unrealistic in this scenario. I really like to have a handgun for myself (CR75, Magnum, Makarov, Glock soon) these days. Especially when the Infected will come back. Anyway, I like the gentle humor in your initial post too.

Zilly    52

You can either follow a guide such as this, which is well written, or you can keep your weapons and just keep stuff really low-key.

My character, for example, tends to stay away from the military weaponry and sticks to a Colt Python and Lever-Action Repeater.

Haliax    2

I play a Pacifist and Doctor and have not killed nor used guns ever! so this is an awesome guide [though uneeded for the infected stuff] and is a great idea!

Roshumbo    0

I think this looks like a fun way to play. I will have to try this. Thank you for trying it's your positive experience with this way out life.

weaponry, guns and melee weapons are both controversial in this world. a man without a kind of weapon is simply unrealistic especially this far into the apocalypse.

like a lightweight playing without weapons or having a concealed weapon is both risky and roleplay intensive. people will look at a man without weapons as someone vulnerable, cannibals will take it as a free bait, zombies(God knows when they'll be added) will become a threat.

as much as I enjoy reading this thread and this guide which is really well written I have to admit, playing without weapons is simply something I deem as unrealistic. then again, that's coming from a man who deems the 1911 to be the ultimate pistol and have virtually nothing.

this is a well written guide tho, very comprehensive and it is an interesting way to play the game, how practical is it is still up for debate. practically over everything else is a survivors key objective, of course this is just one man's opinion. rather bias since I am a pro gun activist IRL.

so with all due respect I ask the question, "is this really a practical and realistic thing to do? or is it just a way of showing people how not to survive with a weapon?"

because at this point I'm a little stumped.

Hagger    117

-snip-

Well it is difficult to say what is realistic and what is unrealistic since we are talking about apocalyptic zombie video game. But I don't think it is impossible that there would be people surviving without firearms. I mean, there is a huge difference about shooting a another person (even if they are a zombie) in real life than in video game. Even people who are trained to kill, struggle with the fact that they should kill other people. It is even said that in WW2 only 15 - 20 percent of the soldiers actually fire towards enemy in the intention to kill. Other pretty much fired without aiming and just tried to look busy hoping that war would end soon.

And personally, if I was in a zombie apocalypse. I would just disappear among the people. I would grab a car/bike and get to my summer cottage. It is a wooden house in a desolate island and it is livable all year around. I would probably live there with fishing and gathering for as long as I needed to. I've spend many months as a kid in that island with my father and brothers and we manage to provide most of our food just by fishing and growing it. This way I would minimize the risks of running into other people/zombies and I wouldn't really have to use any weapons.

But hey, this is all just a fiction. Guide is written by my made-up character. Don't take it too seriously!

well that is true, there is a thread on how some people play and I lean more towards realism when I play. this guide is very interesting and well written, just wanted to see your views on it

I think this is wrong in so many levels.

For a few reasons.

First: you don't have a gun = you can't entertain yourself shooting scarecrows.

Second: spend the evening polishing your beautiful AK is something you cannot do.

Third: you lack a reason to go to military bases thus don't get to meet nice soldiers.

And lastly: you cannot help your irrational friends who stand in front of a compound they just initiated on.

Basically, you are so bad at PvP that you have to make ways to avoid it.

But the thread was a pretty nice read.

Hagger    117

I think this is wrong in so many levels.

For a few reasons.

First: you don't have a gun = you can't entertain yourself shooting scarecrows.

Second: spend the evening polishing your beautiful AK is something you cannot do.

Third: you lack a reason to go to military bases thus don't get to meet nice soldiers.

And lastly: you cannot help your irrational friends who stand in front of a compound they just initiated on.

Basically, you are so bad at PvP that you have to make ways to avoid it.

But the thread was a pretty nice read.

latest?cb=20110419012743

+1

This was an enjoyable guide to read, got some creativity there.

Grimnir    587

Great guid, i see you put a lot of effort in it. To be completly honest i think it is much easier to survive without a gun. No one will see you as a threat and you wont be robbed for your weapons.

Hagger    117

MIND BLOWN.

How come? 

What part was so mind blowing? :D

Flapjack    66

Fascinating guide, superb job.

Currently, I do carry a gun, a sidearm, which I make extremely rare use of. However, due to a few lash outs recently, I may have my gun confiscated...I certainly shall consider not carrying guns for my next character, if I do so, I'll be sure to come back to this guide.

SatansNightOut    105

Too many commas, not enough periods.

Nice attempt at subliminal "gun-control" theory though.

Hagger    117

Too many commas, not enough periods.

Nice attempt at subliminal "gun-control" theory though.

I never understood how you should use commas in English. I might plant them around too much.

Dan Holmes    2

I really liked the idea of not having firearms, but as a lot of people said, it would be death sentence in a zombie apocalypse. So maybe people could focus more on civilian weaponry, like bolt action rifles and pistols instead on full machine guns and long range sniper rifles like many players do. Having less if none powerful guns could create a bigger challenge and trying to explain to other people why you are not with fully kitted AK could create interesting RP situations.

You are commenting as a guest. If you have an account, please sign in.
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoticons maximum are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Sign in to follow this