Server time: 2017-10-23, 06:12
Safe Zone: CLOSED

Sign in to follow this  
Chaostica

Theft and Retaliation

Question

Chaostica    144

Ok, this hasn't happened to me but it's gotten me curious and would like to know how this would be viewed in the way of the rules:

You have a stash of barrels, it get's found by someone while your not there and cleaned out. This person or persons then goes and leaves a note telling you they found and took the contents and even going so far as to name the group they belong to.

Now according to the rules, if you know someone has stolen from you, this is considered a hostile act. 

Can a person seek retribution from the 'group' that has left the note? 

What kind of rights does the victim of the theft now have to exact that retribution?

Finally, if the note proved to be false: for example it claims they're from a group you know didn't do it, such as your very own, and you happened to find the person who left it is that impersonation? What are the consequences for that?

Thank you in advance.

3 answers to this question

Wendsill    0

Ok, this hasn't happened to me but it's gotten me curious and would like to know how this would be viewed in the way of the rules:

You have a stash of barrels, it get's found by someone while your not there and cleaned out. This person or persons then goes and leaves a note telling you they found and took the contents and even going so far as to name the group they belong to.

Now according to the rules, if you know someone has stolen from you, this is considered a hostile act. 

Where exactly does it state in the rules that clearing out an abondoned stash is considered a hostile act? As in the scenario your provided that stash was undefended at the time of the clearing. So against who exactly was that hostile act committed?

Leaving a note saying X from Y did it is in my opinion not clear and ambigious as anybody could have left that note.

If you catch somebody in the act of emptying your stash, you still have to initiate on that person. You cannot kill him or her on sight for that.

Can a person seek retribution from the 'group' that has left the note?

If you have caught a person in the act of clearing out your camp, you initiate on him/her and he/she complies and after questioning him/her you gain the ingame knowledge that he/she belongs to x/y group and he/she confesses to the fact that they as a group cleare your stash out, then yes you can ask them politely for your stuff back.

Acting based on a note that anybody could have left, I'd not recommend doing that as for me it's not a trustworthy source.

What kind of rights does the victim of the theft now have to exact that retribution?

No rights what so ever.

Finally, if the note proved to be false: for example it claims they're from a group you know didn't do it, such as your very own, and you happened to find the person who left it is that impersonation? What are the consequences for that?

Thank you in advance.

I'd say that's impersonation. Impersonation is a rule break, so you can put up a report for that.  The staff team will then determine if there is indeed enough proof for said rulebreak and will punish if needed.

I hope all is clear for you, if not feel free to reply to the thread. If all is clear let me or any other member of staff know that this can be marked as solved.

Chaostica    144

Like I said, this has not happened to me personally just through time and conversations I've was trying to bring a little clarity into how this would best be handled and what are a person's rights in regards to the scenario. Thank you for helping me clarify this for myself and maybe some other's who are not quite aware of what their rights towards stashes and such are. Please mark this as solved.

Wendsill    0

I'm glad I could make things more clear for you (and maybe some others as well), with that said I'll mark this as solved.

/solving.