Server time: 2017-10-19, 21:37
Safe Zone: OPEN

Sign in to follow this  
LoneWolfy

ARMA 3 vs. STANDALONE - Why We Should Switch

LoneWolfy    29

ARMA 3 vs. STANDALONE

[align=left]450x450http://i.imgur.com/oMJ0evc.jpg[/img]450x450http://oceanofgames.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/09/DayZ-Standalone-Free-Download.jpg[/img]

-Why We Should Switch To Arma 3-

[align=left]This post, from what I can imagine, is going to stir up some controversy and debate. Everyone please keep this civil and let's just discuss possibilities, ideas, and opinions. In this post I'm going to discuss why I think our community should be based on ARMA 3 as a unique mod rather than a normal server on STANDALONE. Let's Begin.

[align=left]___________________________________________________________________________________________________________

-STANDALONE'S ISSUES-

[align=left]As someone who has been playing DayZ mod and DayZRP since their birth back around 2012, I feel the path we are taking by following the Standalone bandwagon is hurting this community and its potential. The reason I originally LOVED DayZRP was not only because of its incredible community, staff, and RP; But also because of its unique mods, accessories, and features. These unique features ranged from special weapons, loot tables, map locations, buildings, landmarks, and general features which made DayZRP the BEST community to join back in the day. However, personally I feel we've lost that unique touch, that special thing which sets us apart from all other communities. It seems nowadays the only thing special we offer is moderated RP. Don't get me wrong here, RP is the most important and essential thing we offer in the community. BUT, that's it. With STANDALONE, we no longer have the ability to change the map, add cool features or events, or even have a stable CONTROL over our own servers and community. Control over the servers and features was a key thing the staff had at their disposal in the past. But now with the server system implemented at this current build of STANDALONE our staff are essentially powerless. Besides being able to kick/ban people, reset servers, and check logs, they can't do ANYTHING to enhance our experience. 

[align=left]Furthermore, STANDALONE IS BROKEN. Even though many of you still hold faith in the DEV team of STANDALONE, nothing is getting done. They continue to shell out broken patch after broken patch claiming to fix issues while only presenting new and more horrific bugs that plague and hinder RP and gameplay alike. If you don't believe me, check out this POST  of what the DEV team wanted to have completed by this time of this year and you will see 90% of what they claimed they would do is nowhere near completion. 

[align=left]I wish to ask you all something. Is it worth it? Is it worth investing our faith in a DEV team that will most certainly NEVER finish this game? I digress. Now I will offer my arguement as to why ARMA 3 is a much better candidate for DayZRP. This is a WIP page so I will most likely add to my post in the future.

[align=left]___________________________________________________________________________________________________________

-Why ARMA3 Works-

[align=left]I wish to ask all of you community members who were here for the mod days of DayZRP. Which is better. Standalone or mod? A vast majority have already told me they prefer the days of DAYZRP mod rather than Standalone. Why? The overarching answer is versatility. On the mod, like I said previously, we had the ability to expand our RP beyond the boundaries of ARMA. Through a unique mod pack we were able to enhance our experiences, give them life, and furthermore add to them so that we would NEVER get bored of DayZRP. In my recent time playing DayZRP STANDALONE I have taken more extended breaks from playing than I ever did on the MOD. I have become disinterested and bored because of the lack of content in STANDALONE and therefore a lack of RP opportunities in DayZRP. In simple terms, STANDALONE is more boring than mod. This is why we need Arma 3.

[align=left]In ARMA 3, mods like Breaking point and Exile have grown exponentially and have been getting thrown into the limelight, more so than DayZRP is right now. Why? They are offering an infinitely expanding mod with endless possibilities which the staff can CHANGE, UPGRADE, AND CONTROL. We have LOST that key feature of our community and we are now falling behind in creativity. CREATIVITY is the key feature than every Roleplay community needs. RolePlay by definition is creative and thought provoking. How can we mature and grow our RP if our content does not reflect that growth? 

[align=left]The Exile mod is soon to be regarded as the "new DayZ". However, zombies aren't implemented yet. But, FrankiOnPCIn1080P got a glimpse of how the game would look and I have to say it takes a shit on what standalone could ever accomplish. Here is that

. Keep in mind Im NOT advocating we just use EXILE and that's it. Im saying we use a conglomerate of mods to create our own DAYZRP MODPACK filled with misc. mods, as we used to in ARMA 2.

[align=left]ARMA 3 gives us a platform to mold, shape, and direct our community that Standalone does not. We are beholden to the DEV's of standalone and the content THEY ADD until they give server owners more flexibility, which from we have seen so far seems like they never will. In Arma 3 we would be able to fix bugs at our own pace as they are presented by our own DEV's AND add mods that we wish to have further our gameplay and RP experiences. We could add our own content from guns, sounds, gear, gameplay features, and much more that could enhance our games!

[align=left]Also, As mentioned by ECHO the admin, ARMA 3 is WAY more optimized than DayZ Standalone! Are you sick of lag spikes, shitty frame rates, and poor quality? Arma 3 will allow us to add more content WHILE maintaining a decent FPS! Thanks for the point Echo ;) .

[align=left]Furthermore, The one key thing EVERY RP community needs is IMMERSION. How can you invest emotions and life into a world and character you feel nothing towards? Standalone offers 0 immersive value. Most of the time the game plays more like a "Running Simulator 2015" than a zombie game. These mods through ARMA3 will allow us to add ambiance that standalone lacks every step of the way. From sounds, lighting, and effects we could enhance our immersive capabilities in a way Standalone DEV's wish they could.

[align=left]Finally I ask you all to post your opinions and thoughts. Don't you think we should create our own DayZRP modpack as we used to in the past? Creating an never ending possibility of RP and fun?This is OUR community and we all have a democratic say in what goes on. Please be respectful and share your ideas. Thank you for reading my page. I will most likely add more to it in the future.

Guest Vittoria   
Guest Vittoria

I can give it a +1, but it will never happen most likely. Would probably bring me back to playing.

ArmA is just a version of DayZ Standalone, but its a version of it that isn't shit. ArmA 3 is the full game, while standalone feels like the trial.

edit: huh, so the exile dayzrp thing is still happening, If it dies in a week, I still give this thread a +1

Hassan    450

Isn't this basically what they're trying to do with Exile on Arma 3?

At the end of the day some people will prefer Standalone, some will prefer Arma 3.

Why not just have both?

FrankieonPCin1080P. His recent videos on the arma 3 exile mod shows the immense possiblities we could add to the Arma 3 world.... Minus humvees with M240's and attack choppers, and inter-continental missles and speed-bikes from star wars. Besides that, would be a very nice thing to add to the community.

Skeetsi    0

Haven't yet tried out the Exile mod, looks pretty nice so far. We'll get the modding tools for Standalone eventually. It just feels that it takes an agonizingly long period of time to achieve. I would love to see the Exile becoming a part of DayZRP.

Covert    0

Like Hassan said, theres no reason why we cant have both. Theres no need to force those that enjoy standalone to play a game they dont enjoy, or perhaps dont even own.

Wong    0

I agree but Rolle doesn't know how to code but SOON we should have a arma 3 server to play on. I love standalone and always will but sometimes need to refresh

5MILE5    37

You are completely right. I have no expiriance in the Arma 3 mod, but i know that when i played the standalone there were less opertunities taken than in the mod. Arma 3 felt more alive than the standalone version of DayZ.

Even though I think when it progresses it will become better, we just have to wait.

Flapjack    66

I would go on a minor rant about this, but it all boils down to one thing really - Why not both? They provide their different experiences and allow separate types of RP. Each appeals to different audiences. Though it is completely understandable that someone who is nostalgic about the mod days will find Arma 3 DayZ more appealing.

Hamakaze    13

Just have both it'll appeal to both audiences and allow people to switch back and forth as they wish

Mamba    0

My experience with exile mod has severe frame boost over SA and that is running in Ultra. So many positive things for arma that we simply cannot due in standalone. I could write a list, but a short one would just be vehicles, more admin tools and optimization.

Hamakaze    13

My experience with exile mod has severe frame boost over SA and that is running in Ultra. So many positive things for arma that we simply cannot due in standalone. I could write a list, but a short one would just be vehicles, more admin tools and optimization.

And of course the ability to customize more things about appearance and XML's

Vaine    23

When you look at that post you linked you just see how much of a failure the devs are

Scooter    51

+1 SA is terrible, even arma 2 mod had more to do and roleplay with than DayZ SA, and arma 3 had so much more than arma 2 did. It would be nice to have more than 1 (broken) vehicle and 5 shitty primary weapons.

Grihm    16

Arma 3 is miles away from SA, just to keep it short. SA is just a shell, and there is nothing worthy in defending it with teeth and claws part from it being a hype. The amount of errors and glitches is way far off what is respectful to hand out towards a gaming community.

We have been playing as said on our private Arma 3 server and testing things out for month´s, and it´s a whole other ballgame. I´m sure i will be playing SA as well, but as it is now, it´s far to time consuming for what you are being given in return. The RP has become stale with far to much strange additions and it does not feel like an apocalypse anymore. The SA in itself is much for taking the blame in this because the system is broken, while Arma does work.

I fully support Arma 3 as the next step.

LoneWolfy    29

Yeah, we could, IF WE HAD A DEV, DUH :D

Then why don't we recruit one? Please just explore this possibility Rolle.

Rolle    2949

I've been trying to recruit one for a month now. Unfortunately all I got was apps from people who did a mission in ArmA3 editor once etc, not the kind of experience I want.

LoneWolfy    29

Thanks for mentioning that point echo, I mentioned you in the post ;)

I've been trying to recruit one for a month now. Unfortunately all I got was apps from people who did a mission in ArmA3 editor once etc, not the kind of experience I want.

Oh ok I understand. Maybe try posting on a DayZ or general forum outside our community advertising for DEV position? I would just say keep looking cause its worth it.

GriefSlicer    1

Arma 3 --> Runs a lot better --> Modding --> More Opportunities to Make RP better

StandAlone --> Runs Bad --> Limited by game devs --> Less Opportunities to Make RP better

"Why don't we have both?"

Both = Split Community

Just my general opinion on the way I would like things to go. I mean look what happened to the mod when standalone came walking by ):

LoneWolfy    29

Arma 3 --> Runs a lot better --> Modding --> More Opportunities to Make RP better

StandAlone --> Runs Bad --> Limited by game devs --> Less Opportunities to Make RP better

"Why don't we have both?"

Both = Split Community

Just my general opinion on the way I would like things to go. I mean look what happened to the mod when standalone came walking by ):

I agree, doing both is a bad idea, it will only create a divided community and a split forum.

Sauce    52

I haven't really said much on the forums before about this because we've all been pretty busy and didn't have much to show so far. Since this thread exists though, we decided to share some info on what we've been doing ourselves on a similar topic. - I don't mean to step on any toes or anything with this post, just to inform people that there is some work being done in this area already...

A few of us have been working on a RP game mode on Esseker. It's using many of the same mods as the DayZRP proposed server, excluding exile.

The plan is to build the main systems (Not using exile) from the ground up with RP in mind.

We've just rented a dedicated server to put up what we have for other players to help bug testing. There are a few teething problems so far but we hope to have it up in a few days. (THE SERVER WILL REMAIN PRIVATE UNTIL WE'RE HAPPY WITH THE CONTENT)

As the gamemode is just now we have loot, zombies, random vehicles (both mil and civ with random fuel and damage).

Zombies have been fixed to work properly with ACE3 and a basic logistics system is currently being implemented.

Mobile headquarters vehicles for blue and red sides implemented. (There's a whole thing with blue, red and civ as part of the story)

and a few more things I can't think of right now.

When we sort out the dedi we would like to invite some of the admin team to come check it out. We've been working on it for a while, there's not a huge amount done yet but the basics are there.

There are a whole bunch of mods needed so I've combined them all into one download (11 gigs lol), minus AiA terrain and ACE 3

So there will be quite a bit to download. (I'll be putting a torrent up for the large files running from a seedbox)

After we've got something a bit more than zombies loot and vehicles we'll maybe open the server for larger scale bug testing for the community if anyone is interested. - We hope to have around 100 slots but as yet are not fully sure of the capability of our server and it's connection.

This is still heavy WIP! We only have a small team so it's taking quite a bit of time. Anyway, here's a few of the things we're planning to get done in the near future.

Requisition system for sides blue and red (As the sides progress through research etc. requisition will become available)

Building system with world collectable materials (Materials in loot spawn now, building system place holder at the moment)

Infection system (Can be infected %chance with zombie strike, can lead to death & re-animation if not treated)

Survival system (Hunger, thirst etc.)

Character building system (VERY in-depth character creation focused on RP)

Research system (Story driven research for player sides, provides missions and upgrades etc.)

More custom content (Uniforms, models etc.)

Persistence databases etc.

and the list keeps growing. (Also a reason for this post is for other ideas from the RP community in general)

I don't really know what else to say about it really, other than yeah, we're working on something, hopefully the admin team are interested in looking at it in the near future then maybe if all is cool and we get a bit more done we could open our server to whitelisted members for bug testing etc.