Server time: 2018-08-16, 13:48

Sign in to follow this  
Warg

The Current Zombie Spawn Rate and Lore

0.58 has rolled around, and with it, a noticeable drop in zombies. I understand that this is a result of the update, but I'm curious to see how everyone is or playing out the lack of zombies around at the moment. Is it just a dry spell, or has something stopped the dead from flowing into Chernarus? Are there a greater number of immune concentrated in South Zagoria, perhaps? Maybe your group has been doing rounds and downing every walker you see?

Honestly I heard that this patch is zombie free they are trying to see how it affects performance issues.

It makes it a little weird but the RP is still great that is just me. 

The vagary concerning zombies is really interesting from a storytelling position, and it's something I'm glad we got even though my character is one focused on the ending of zombies for his own reasons that don't really merit explanation here. Because it happened in what seemed like a slowly increasing trend, with .57 having fewer zombies (From my understanding) than the previous patches, characters are left to wonder, and that's GOOD. While walking with a group of people, my own character told them his theory about South Zagoria becoming a safe zone for the time being, since zombies rely on humans and this is the epicenter. It makes sense to me that South Zagoria would be the hardest hit at first, with the mass casualties and reanimation leaving the zombies to feed and spread the virus freely. This does mean, however, that they will eventually swell in numbers, and the people who are left aren't going to be as tempting as the larger numbers in outlying areas.

The epicenter becomes a safe spot for a while as the larger hordes break off after the groups at the edges of our little game map, trying to fulfill their single-minded drive to create more of their kind, and this leaves us with only a few stragglers and eventually only one or two zombies to be seen at a time. We're left with the ones who weren't capable of pulling the slack and going with the larger groups in other directions. The explanation I see working for when they return on an OOC level is that once the larger area has been decimated, we'll see them coming in roving "hunting parties" in all their undead glory because they've pushed out to a certain extent and been turned back, or they've lost whatever ready supply of prey they had, leaving some of them to turn back and backtrack across our area.

Having no set story reason for it, however, leaves people to come up with their own theories and the great thing is that there is no official answer. That means people can't exactly metagame and try to be "right" about the situation. We can guess, we can ponder and theorize, but we don't KNOW. I said this on another thread about the zombies, but this gives our characters a chance to have some kind of hope, some semblance of salvation because, for all we know, it could be over. They could have simply died off or finally deteriorated into uselessness, and OOCly we know it will culminate in those hopes being crushed and that glimmer of a world that was like the one we lost being snuffed out. Beautifully heart-wrenching all around.

Brilliantly put, Mace. Especially with persistence encouraging camp-building, it'll be fascinating to see if anti-zombie defences slacken in the face of so few, or if people will put in time to keep watch against the next wave of biters. It gives the current situation a very Walking Dead feel.

It's the calm before the storm ;) And I'm rping it out as that. We have to all get ready for the hurricane.

A few updates back they increased the zombie count which I simply RP that my IC went towards Russia to see if the blockade was still up only to be meet with large hordes of infected moving south. As Mace already said that with the last two updates dropping the zombie count until we now have none has made it easier to RP out that something has forced the infected to move away from Chernarus with my IC coming up with the following theories:

1-The amount of survivors has diminished so much that the infected have since moved on to find a larger food source and will eventually wonder back when they have caused havoc on other survivors outside of Chernarus.

2- The infected have migrated due to the weather, with my character believing that perhaps the infected are incapable of surviving in certain environments.

3- Someone outside of Chernarus has discovered a way of controlling the infected (I got this idea from the Halloween event back in mod last year in which 4 admins posed as the 4 horsemen and summoned the infected to attack a settlement)

Yeah, situations like this can be a great source of RP or even theories among IG characters. I can tell that even if because of the game mechanics there aren't many infected around when I go on some scavange run or adventure (or something) I tell people from time to time that at some point I had to leave because of the walkers. It isn't often though because it's kind of hard RP with zombies if there is none. Anyway, like all others in this thread said situation like this can provide many posibilities for RP as well like with said theories. My character came up with his own theory about why recently there isn't many infected people in the area but I won't share it with you. You can always find out IG if you meet him. ;)

I liked how in 0.57 me and other survivors were speculating what's going on. Are the infected just moving after the food because not many of us left in South Zagoria and they will come back in a horde one day?

I wouldn't mind a small Lore update in transmissions about hordes being spotted heading to Russia or west towards the Europe.

I RP'd to this guy (think it was buck hannibal) that the zombies moved south west because its getting colder.

It's the calm before the storm ;) And I'm rping it out as that. We have to all get ready for the hurricane.

Is it? Really? Oh in that case I can better get my shit together for the hordes! Haha let's hope that zombies finally become a large thread when they wonder the lands in Hordes!

I personally don't really RP the minimum amount of zed's as I haven't really heard alot about it IG lately...

Nora thinks the zombies are moving out of Chernarus. She thinks that they think as group animals and want to stick together.

She is slowly letting her guard down, what is a bad thing ;)

As it is most likely to happen again, ( i mean, zombies being added and removed constantly) I do not think there is a need to change or modify the lore as it'd be full of explanations of why the infected keep disappearing. I'ts interesting to RP it out in game, but i believe it's fine if we just keep it that way, look for an explanation in game yourself, it'd definetly lead to some good RP.

Most I have run into in game in this patch believe we are heading into winter soon, hence all the rain etc. It could make sense that packs of the undead would migrate too. I suspect they are moving to Florida.

Guest Geolash

Most I have run into in game in this patch believe we are heading into winter soon, hence all the rain etc. It could make sense that packs of the undead would migrate too. I suspect they are moving to Florida.

If Chernarus was in the united states yeah they might be, but since there is a big ocean separating them. They would freeze into blocks of ice before getting there. Lol, with the whole RP thing, I think they all were taken by a secrete organization for further examination, but will be released back into Chernarus to test out whatever the organization has done on them and how it would affect us 'humans', maybe even have hordes thrashing through all towns and cities to get a wider rang.

There are, like, 3 zombies on the server right now. Someone said the other day that they killed one near Zelenogorsk and that they saw one earlier on the road from Elektro to Stary Sobor.

It's really hard to RP my huntsman character right now, as there are no zombies and eating cooked meat has about a 35% chance to make you sick :(

There are, like, 3 zombies on the server right now. Someone said the other day that they killed one near Zelenogorsk and that they saw one earlier on the road from Elektro to Stary Sobor.

It's really hard to RP my huntsman character right now, as there are no zombies and eating cooked meat has about a 35% chance to make you sick :(

[video=youtube]

Perhaps the zombie virus has mutated. Perhaps all the zombies that were roaming around were old hosts (1++ years of being a zombie), and the virus has jumped to animals. The signs of sickness range from asymptomatic to mild unwellness, and when the animals are killed, a milder form of the virus remains in the meat. This, perhaps, is what's sickening everyone.

Perhaps the zombie virus has mutated. Perhaps all the zombies that were roaming around were old hosts (1++ years of being a zombie), and the virus has jumped to animals. The signs of sickness range from asymptomatic to mild unwellness, and when the animals are killed, a milder form of the virus remains in the meat. This, perhaps, is what's sickening everyone.

Yeah, which makes it pointless to hunt :P

-snip-

Mein Gott!

Love that Zelda sound too :)

When they re-implement the infected, they will implement them by the dozens. Maybe even by the hundreds. There will be chaos at every airfield, city, barn, lonesome road; everywhere. I've had fantastic RP moments where we're staring off into the horizon, knowing that the infected have took their leave (migrated) for now.. but when they return.. they shall return in BIBLICAL PROPORTIONS!

lolz #hype

Yea I dont know. I have yet to see a single zombie this patch, nor has anyone that I talk to. As far as the RP goes I haven't really seen anyone mention it, its almost as if they were never here to begin with :o (lol)

Yea I dont know. I have yet to see a single zombie this patch, nor has anyone that I talk to. As far as the RP goes I haven't really seen anyone mention it, its almost as if they were never here to begin with :o (lol)

Perhaps that could be a plot hook you can explore. You're one of the Dveri, and one of the greatest threats to Chernarus is quiet (for now)--what do you do?

Perhaps that could be a plot hook you can explore. You're one of the Dveri, and one of the greatest threats to Chernarus is quiet (for now)--what do you do?

That would be a good idea, but my character is just a civilian. She can barely defend herself, I think Jelena will use this time to find some place to stay safe from bandits (if such a place exists) :)

That would be a good idea, but my character is just a civilian. She can barely defend herself, I think Jelena will use this time to find some place to stay safe from bandits (if such a place exists) :)

Now is a great time to explore for new 0.58 Easter eggs and hidey-holes.

My character thinks that they seem to be moving elsewhere. Like a group of birds migrating somewhere else