Server time: 2017-08-17, 06:07

Sign in to follow this  
Nova_Ethridge

Event Suggestion: War of Chernarus

After having recently played on a few servers that have AI patrols, I thought that might be a fun thing to implement on DayZRP as a temporary event. I chose Takistan and its soldiers because I almost never see any players wearing those skins, and they're easily identifiable.

Here's how I think it should be structured:

Event Overview

The neighboring nation of Takistan, which has been left relatively unscathed by the outbreak, has seized an opportunity to take control of the region of Chernarus. They have sent hundreds of soldiers in an attempt to establish a foothold on the area, landing large numbers of along Chernarus' eastern shore.

They engage infected and survivor alike, and have shown zero interest in reaching any form of peace with the surviving humans of Chernarus. All encounters with them have proven to be hostile, and the time has come for those of us left upon Chernarus to fight for what's left of our new home.

Event Location

The event will encompass most of the eastern and southeastern shore of Chernarus, from just north of Berezino all the way down to Elektro. AI-controlled Takistani soldiers will spawn in these areas and initiate patrols, walking inland several kilometers. This may bring them into contact with the Trade Post! It is therefore advised that the TPD or others located at TP keep a watchful eye out for Takistani soldiers!

Enemy Forces

Each patrol will consist mostly of Takistani soldiers. Patrols are generally numbered 3-6. Each patrol will usually contain a commander, and will sometimes contain Takistani special forces. Commanders and soldiers are armed with AK-74s, while special forces are armed with FN FALs.

Event Conclusion

The event will conclude once a significant number of soldiers are killed by players. The exact amount will not be revealed, however based on the spawn rate of Takistani soldiers, it will take at least one week, possibly longer, for the players to "win the war" against the Takistani.

Effects of Failure

Should the players fail to fend off the Takistani soldiers after three weeks have passed, the invading force will establish a permanent beachhead. The number of patrols will reduce drastically, but from there on out, Takistani AI will become a permanent part of the map, occasionally popping up here and there and causing trouble for the survivors.

Event-specific Rules

1. You are still required to identify your targets before firing on them. Shooting a player and claiming that you thought he was a Takistani NPC is not an excuse.
  2. As an exception to rule #1, if you are wearing a Takistani uniform, you forfeit your right to file a report if someone shoots you. This is the same common sense as not wearing a worker uniform and a zombie skin.
  3. You have approximately five minutes after killing an AI soldier where it is considered your "property". After that period, anyone is allowed to loot it and you cannot defend the corpse with force. It will, however, be considered a hostile act if you approach and attempt to loot a Takistani soldier that another player has recently killed.

Guest Cadan   
Guest Cadan

Would lead to KoS.

We don't need more reports.

Nah.

Guest Slip   
Guest Slip

ArmA2_Chernarus_factbook_map.jpg

My only problem with this is the fact that Takistan borders Chernarus on the far western border, Why would they attack the far eastern coastline of Chernarus? (South Zagoria is the area depicted in Arma 2)

EDIT: Oh, and the mass KoS storm that would ensue while this event took place =p

Would lead to KoS.

We don't need more reports.

Nah.

All events lead to KOS. We shouldn't just avoid events because they'll lead to reports, otherwise we'll never have any events.

My only problem with this is the fact that Takistan borders Chernarus on the far western border, Why would they attack the Eastern coastline of Chernarus?

Well, like I said, I picked Takistan because of their unique uniform, not their relative location. Any imaginary nation would work just as well.

Guest Cadan   
Guest Cadan

All events lead to KOS. We shouldn't just avoid events because they'll lead to reports, otherwise we'll never have any events.

That is not true.

This specific event would lead to alot more.

And, they'd all be claimed 'There was a firefight'

That is not true.

Except the "firefight" excuse refers to firefights between players. If you got into a firefight with AI wearing unique uniforms, you can't claim you thought a player was an AI. In fact, it's even in the rules I listed that you're not allowed to fire on players because you thought they were AI.

That excuse would no more fly during a firefight with AI than it would in a firefight with zombies.

Tomeran    3

I like the general basis for the event, it has great potential.

But I am actually not sure that the Takistani would be a proper villain in this case.

There is no real reason why Takistan, as a borderstate to a country that is confirmed to be completly overwhelmed by the infection, would also not be suffering badly from the infection. In fact the Takistani military is in such a bad shape(especielly after the events of Arma 2:Operation Arrowhead) that its highly unfeasible that they'd want to do anything but try to secure their own borders, even if they had somehow repelled the infection(which is also very unlikely).

Also, as others pointed out, South Zagoria lies at the wrong end of Chernarus to be properly invaded.

Russia might be a better candidate. It is however generally accepted roleplay that the infection has spread to Russia(and in fact much of the planet), so I think a more feasible story would be this:

A russian renegade military company goes AWOL from russian military operations against the undead(could be many reasons for this, for example a loosing fight and chain of command breaking down etc), and the russian company commander descides to go warlord and make Chernarus his personal stronghold, and thus invades Chernarus, hoping to easily supress and mop up any remaining survivors and force them to accept his rule.

The event like you structured it could work well with this, but perhaps the warlord could play a bigger part in the objectives, and perhaps clans like S-GRU and CSR could play a special part as well.

The problems with skins should be relativly easy to correct, as we could use the russian soldier skin that is available through donation shop. My guess is that barely anyone uses it at all, and Rolle could tempoarily remove it from the shop for the duration of these events, and on the rare chance someone did buy it, he could give them a different skin or a refund or something. The point would be to try and prevent people from using it, or at least warning people properly of the immense danger of walking around with it.

The russian soldier skin is also fairly distinct from common appearance of most other survivors, so it might not even be neccecery to properly initiate on these NPC patrols, as long as the appearance of the russian patrols are made very clear, and that people really need to confirm that they're dealing with an NPC patrol(through observation, not neccecerily walking up to a hostile pack of npcs).

I do however think the NPC patrols need to be a bit bigger, and possibly have more interesting equipment with them once in a while. Perhaps there could also be bigger events. I was thinking that the npc patrols could be a "standard" non-event feature, while events featuring large-scale attacks on clan strongholds and perhaps the TP could be featured events that would involve battles against these renegade russians.

All in all? This idea has amazing potential, and I'd love to see something like this ingame. Just brainstorming atm.

Yeah, any nation would work. Again, I'm aware that Takistan doesn't work from a lore perspective, I picked it because nobody ever wears that skin that I've seen.

Also, I was thinking of larger patrols, but had taken server load into consideration. Large units of 10-20 soldiers would be interesting, but having fought the AI before, that could easily overwhelm smaller groups of players. The AI in DayZ are surprisingly good at using tactics like cover-fire and flanking.

Wunsleh    10

you got my support! +9000

Gullio1    0

S-GRU gets to court martial the treacherous invaders?

I really hope this happens.

Tomeran    3

Yeah, any nation would work. Again, I'm aware that Takistan doesn't work from a lore perspective, I picked it because nobody ever wears that skin that I've seen.

Also, I was thinking of larger patrols, but had taken server load into consideration. Large units of 10-20 soldiers would be interesting, but having fought the AI before, that could easily overwhelm smaller groups of players. The AI in DayZ are surprisingly good at using tactics like cover-fire and flanking.

Good point with the npc patrols. Perhaps they could be of varying size. It would also be pretty cool if their presence and frequency followed a trend set by a campaign map, which could be updated by events like I previously suggested. For example, the russians attack an alliance of clans at the NEAF and win a descicive victory, and as such patrol presence is significantly increased around that area.

Pretty much what I was hoping for with the invasion event series, but in this case with an actual presence of npc soldiers rather then an imagined presence of zombies.

Gullio1    0

Maybe players could be stationed at the PCBs? It would give them more use.

Tomeran    3

Maybe players could be stationed at the PCBs? It would give them more use.

PCBs could definetly be proper event targets to defend against russian attacks.

Wunsleh    10

That is not true.

Except the "firefight" excuse refers to firefights between players. If you got into a firefight with AI wearing unique uniforms, you can't claim you thought a player was an AI. In fact, it's even in the rules I listed that you're not allowed to fire on players because you thought they were AI.

That excuse would no more fly during a firefight with AI than it would in a firefight with zombies.

Maybe ask Rolle to import one of the dozens other skins roaming the interwebs? (If thats possible)

That way there can be no confusion regarding who is who :)

Sky    1

+1

Sounds like a lot of fun :)

Gullio1    0

you got my support! +9000

h362072B9

Seriously love this idea

Yes. Just... Yes.

Vasily Malyy    10

I like the general basis for the event, it has great potential.

But I am actually not sure that the Takistani would be a proper villain in this case.

There is no real reason why Takistan, as a borderstate to a country that is confirmed to be completly overwhelmed by the infection, would also not be suffering badly from the infection. In fact the Takistani military is in such a bad shape(especielly after the events of Arma 2:Operation Arrowhead) that its highly unfeasible that they'd want to do anything but try to secure their own borders, even if they had somehow repelled the infection(which is also very unlikely).

Also, as others pointed out, South Zagoria lies at the wrong end of Chernarus to be properly invaded.

Russia might be a better candidate. It is however generally accepted roleplay that the infection has spread to Russia(and in fact much of the planet), so I think a more feasible story would be this:

A russian renegade military company goes AWOL from russian military operations against the undead(could be many reasons for this, for example a loosing fight and chain of command breaking down etc), and the russian company commander descides to go warlord and make Chernarus his personal stronghold, and thus invades Chernarus, hoping to easily supress and mop up any remaining survivors and force them to accept his rule.

The event like you structured it could work well with this, but perhaps the warlord could play a bigger part in the objectives, and perhaps clans like S-GRU and CSR could play a special part as well.

The problems with skins should be relativly easy to correct, as we could use the russian soldier skin that is available through donation shop. My guess is that barely anyone uses it at all, and Rolle could tempoarily remove it from the shop for the duration of these events, and on the rare chance someone did buy it, he could give them a different skin or a refund or something. The point would be to try and prevent people from using it, or at least warning people properly of the immense danger of walking around with it.

The russian soldier skin is also fairly distinct from common appearance of most other survivors, so it might not even be neccecery to properly initiate on these NPC patrols, as long as the appearance of the russian patrols are made very clear, and that people really need to confirm that they're dealing with an NPC patrol(through observation, not neccecerily walking up to a hostile pack of npcs).

I do however think the NPC patrols need to be a bit bigger, and possibly have more interesting equipment with them once in a while. Perhaps there could also be bigger events. I was thinking that the npc patrols could be a "standard" non-event feature, while events featuring large-scale attacks on clan strongholds and perhaps the TP could be featured events that would involve battles against these renegade russians.

All in all? This idea has amazing potential, and I'd love to see something like this ingame. Just brainstorming atm.

Wait, someone just said CSR in a forum post. Yay. But say this did happen, CSR wouldn't help the Renegades. More likely the Survivors, haha. We like Communism, but not if it's here to make Chernarus into a personal strong-hold for a Warlord. And don't bring S-GRU into this, they're here to help Chernarus. Maybe a bit...differently, but they are. +1, by the way.

Comrade Deg    13

I like this idea I cant wait for more details and/if when then this is going to happen.

Powdermen    0

Can a clan volunteer as the invaders? Maybe as those special forces? I think it would reach a bigger audience that way.

Russian-clans can finally fight out an epic battle against all those ''invaders''.

The story would have to be edited like:

The neighboring nation of Takistan, which has been left relatively unscathed by the outbreak, has seized an opportunity to take control of the region of Chernarus. They have sent hundreds of soldiers in an attempt to establish a foothold on the area, landing large numbers of along Chernarus' eastern shore.

- instead of just the Takistani, also the US, UK, EU soldiers could get involved by the same reason as listed above. Doesn't really matter who seizes the opportunity to take control, and this way we wouldn't need (so much or no) AI-soldiers. Overall: More people could get involved.

Gullio1    0

Maybe some sort of foreshadowing to this event? So IC I know to start hoarding ammo like that insane old guy on my block.

Sky    1

Can a clan volunteer as the invaders? Maybe as those special forces? I think it would reach a bigger audience that way.

Russian-clans can finally fight out an epic battle against all those ''invaders''.

I'd be 100% behind this IF clan skins were around. That way, it'd be easy to ID which parties are hostile and which aren't. Without it though, I feel like there would be too much confusion.

Guest WaltteriH   
Guest WaltteriH

Make RP3.

4 Major sides: Nato, Russia, Guerillas and Civilians.

DayZ server but with zombie spawns and road debris removed.

Russia stsrts from north, Nato from the coast, Guerillas and Civilians in towns and farms.

After either Russia or Nato is defeated, the other side stays to occupy -> guerilla warfare.

No KoS on guerillas or civilians, rest is free meat.