Server time: 2017-10-22, 08:30
Safe Zone: CLOSED

Sign in to follow this  
Guest Kip

The Law of the Jungle by Joseph R. Kipling

Guest Kip   
Guest Kip

"Now this is the Law of the Jungle -- as old and as true as the sky;

And the Wolf that shall keep it may prosper, but the Wolf that shall break it must die.

As the creeper that girdles the tree-trunk the Law runneth forward and back --

For the strength of the Pack is the Wolf, and the strength of the Wolf is the Pack."

34qk9lg.png

A short extract from J. Kipling's unfinished biography "Something of Himself" written by the now deceased Lazarus Saunders, depicts Kipling's early childhood life and travels:

2eoikaa.png

o08p77.jpg

"The Town of Desolation" where J. Kipling was born and lived for the first six years of his life

5armmu.png

The Civil and Military Gazette where Joseph Kipling worked as an assistant editor for two years

Below are the first person accounts of Joseph Kipling's most critically acclaimed survival book in the disease ridden lands of Chernarus, "The Law of the Jungle."

efs93b.png

- Chapter One -

Silence. Peace. Darkness. Then a faint sound, in the distance at first, that grew louder and louder still. The sound of an engine, the flash of headlights. I stumbled onto the road and gripped the pistol in my sweaty, pulsating hand. It was indeed dark, but I could clearly make out a white pick-up truck hurtling towards me like a gas-guzzling monster in the salmon pink sky. A brief moment of panic struck me as I shifted the weight of my body from left foot to right, desperately thinking of a solution. When nothing came to mind, I slowly raised my outstretched arm and pointed the tiny gun down the road, waiting.

I should have made a run for it, should have hidden myself in a pine tree or bush. Maybe there was still time, maybe it wasn't too... Too late. The pick-up appeared so suddenly I had no time to react. My feet stood rooted to the ground, my hand shook violently, my eyes blissfully unaware of the sudden bright light produced by the headlights. I brought my other arm towards my face, blocking the light and my vision. Then came the sound of a horn. I squeezed the trigger. BANG.

A small explosion sounded as the gunpowder ignited inside the bullet. There was a crunch of tyres on the tarmac, and another faint explosion. I looked up, in time to see the left wheel of the car bursting into rubbery pieces. The pick-up grinded to a halt. I must have hit the tyre. I steadied myself and brought the pistol up again, pointing directly at the car. I used my other hand as a makeshift bill of a baseball cap, shielding more of the headlight rays.

I was about to approach the vehicle when the horn sounded again, and again and again, until finally a bearded man jumped out of the passenger seat of the pick-up, screaming and pointing at me. I heard a nasty gargling sound behind me, and the smell of rotten flesh invaded my nostrils. The man wasn't pointing at me, but instead at something behind me. But by then it was too late. I turned around to see Death staring directly at me. I heard a crack, and something inside me gave way, as I collapsed onto the cold concrete below.

"Now this is the Law of the Jungle -- as old and as true as the sky;

And the Wolf that shall keep it may prosper, but the Wolf that shall break it must die."

- Chapter Two -

The deafening sound of the Huey’s two-bladed rotor was so loud and unbearable, that I could hear it through the headset I was wearing. I needed peace and quiet to think, reflect about the event’s of last night. Amanda…

Tssssk. The headset made a hissing sound, shortly followed by the booming voice of the pilot:

“Hope you’re holding up OK there son, not long to go now. It’s a long trip from Vermont, I told you that. You sure you’re all right? You look a little distracted.”

“I need a cigarette, that’s all,” I replied to the pilot, who in turn retorted: “You should stay away from those things son. A young man like you should be playing sports and chasing girls.”

Amanda… I couldn’t focus on anything else. I sacrificed so many things for her; too many things. Moving to the States was a bad idea, I knew that deep down even before I came. But I’m an optimist, I can make anything work. Clearly not.

Tssssk. The headset went off again, but this time it was the gunner, casually sitting on the side of the helicopter, manning one of the two M240 machine guns. He looked young and inexperienced, and talked so quickly I couldn’t catch everything he was saying:

“I sure would love to shoot me some of those rabid cows – Ma says it should be done – spread their diseases so fast – lousy cows – all infected and shi…”

“It’s not rabies,” I cut in, “Bovine spongiform encephalopathy, it’s a neurodegenerative disease.”

“Bova-what!?” laughed the gunner, “you British – crazy sons of bi…”

“Mad cow disease,” I interjected again, “It’s usually nothing serious, but…” It was the gunners turn to interrupt me, “Nothing serious! Haha, 137 people dead and he tells me it’s nothing serious. Is that why we’re riding down in a military chopper, with a big ass gun on the side? I hear things you know. It might turn those cow’s mad, but it turn’s them human’s even madder.”

“Enough now boy!” exclaimed the pilot, “Leave the journalist alone to his thoughts and stop filling his head with useless junk. Besides, we’re here.”

As the Huey swopped lower, the deep blue ocean was replaced by thin, dry soil. We were finally in Chernarus.

Chapter 2 Part 2 Coming Soon!

Amazing, Kip! One of the best I've seen since I've joined! Can't wait to meet you in-game! Also, nice surname! I'll have to admit that I had do look it up. :P

Only thing that bothers me: "kip" means "chicken" in Dutch. Literally.

Guest Kip   
Guest Kip

Thank you for the kind words Gijs, really appreciate it. Haha you're kidding! Yupp, just checked and it really does mean chicken aha. Oh well, going to go by "Kipling" then instead of "Kip" in-game :D

In the UK, Mr. Kipling are a company that make small pies and cakes like these. That's where the inspiration came from ;) :

rjpatx.png

And as for meeting me in-game, that might have to wait for a bit unfortunately, as I do not currently own a PC. I've been really busy with University work and exams, and I know that buying a PC before my last exam would be a total distraction and I will fail! So I have been absorbing myself with DayZ video's for the past few months since I've found out about it. Cannot wait to actually play aha.

Roleplaying on this server isn't something videos can capture. Some people leave, but don't let that get you down. Player encounters and interaction is what makes this so great, and the fear of having a gun pointed at you just doesn't show in a video. Some people even feel regret after killing someone. What Dean Hall wanted with DayZ, real emotions, emerges best from this server. Some emotions form themselves in reports on the forums, though. :P

Awesome that you started this without even having a PC!

So you started with cakes, and made your way up to The Jungle Book from there? :P

Guest Kip   
Guest Kip

I completely agree and understand. I can only imagine the feeling, but obviously haven't experienced it yet. I see so many people commenting on YouTube videos saying: "Wow, I am going to buy a PC just for this game," and that's exactly how I feel - I've never seen anything like it before and cannot wait to play. Finding a Roleplaying server has made me even more excited to play - I mean we all need a little fantasy in our lives, eh?

Aha! You noticed, I wasn't going to say anything until someone noticed. Basically the cakes were the inspiration, but I realised I needed a first name for my character. And I usually pick simple names like James, Ben, Joe. I thought Joseph could work. I ended up looking up Rudyard Kipling (author of The Jungle Book as you have said and other great books and poems) - it turns out that Rudyard is his middle name, and Joseph is his first name! Coincidence? So I decided to base my character around him - all of the stories on this thread are and will be pure fiction, but I have included some real family names, real places, as well as some quotes and book names. (For example Rudyard Kipling didn't grow up in Russia - I grew up in Russia instead) It kind of seemed to work, and I think I'm going to mix and match our lives as time goes by. And I've left plenty of room for improving the character until the times comes for me to actually play!

Sorry for such a long explanation, just thought people should know that I am not living in the shadows of a famous poet and writer, just thought it would be an interesting idea :)

Many thanks again for looking, and I hope we can play soon.

Sign in to follow this