Server time: 2017-08-20, 11:52

Sign in to follow this  
Caesar

Community disrespect

Caesar    438

It has become apparent to me that a culture of disrespect and hate is growing towards those who post reports, it is my opinion that this attitude can be just as destructuve as an extreme amount of reports can be.

The fact is it is not a good idea to blame the person who is often the victim of an act when that act was done against the rules. Remember if the rule was never broken in the first place the report would never have been raised.

Also as an extension it is my view that the ambiguity with the rules is the leading cause of reports anyway, neither parties fault.

All this being said I do agree that people should only use formal reports as a last means to get justice. People should in general be able to sort out accidental illegitimae actions. The problem often is that those who committed the crime often see no benefit in helping the injured party in compensation for these actions.

Some people may be able to let things continually slide with nothing more than a chat, however it is also my view that continually letting things slide while allowing the guilty party to profit from the wrongdoing can makes tings much worse as people get complacent with the rules.

In working out of reports it is not only the victims responsibility to be co-operative as some people seem to be implying, it is the the responsibility of the guilty party to act in a decent matter and in my opinion do their best to compensate for the wrongful act.

Tl;dr - Don't make a problem worse by blaming the victim, merely practice what you preach and lead by example.

1. Reporters need to be willing to reason with and negotiate with the reportee.

2. Guilty parties should do all in their power to remove the negative effect of their rule breaking and minimise their positive gain from it.

3. Uninvolved parties should stay out if they do not have anything helpful to say. Creating more hate is just stupid.

Maybe if we all reread the last line of the 'common sense' rule.

Rolle    2451

Hallelujah, praise the lord'ah.

But yeah, people will be people and this is the Internet.

If only everything would be that easy.

All of the arguments in reports is basically because of the ones who got reported simply don´t think they broke any rules.

I agree that it would be nicer without all the public name-callings and accusations.

But, we also need to realize that not everyone will not always agree.

Guest Alpha   
Guest Alpha

Never assume. There's a reason lawyers and cops don't do that either

Tomeran    3

It has become apparent to me that a culture of disrespect and hate is growing towards those who post reports, it is my opinion that this attitude can be just as destructuve as an extreme amount of reports can be.

The fact is it is not a good idea to blame the person who is often the victim of an act when that act was done against the rules. Remember if the rule was never broken in the first place the report would never have been raised.

Also as an extension it is my view that the ambiguity with the rules is the leading cause of reports anyway, neither parties fault.

All this being said I do agree that people should only use formal reports as a last means to get justice. People should in general be able to sort out accidental illegitimae actions. The problem often is that those who committed the crime often see no benefit in helping the injured party in compensation for these actions.

Some people may be able to let things continually slide with nothing more than a chat, however it is also my view that continually letting things slide while allowing the guilty party to profit from the wrongdoing can makes tings much worse as people get complacent with the rules.

In working out of reports it is not only the victims responsibility to be co-operative as some people seem to be implying, it is the the responsibility of the guilty party to act in a decent matter and in my opinion do their best to compensate for the wrongful act.

Tl;dr - Don't make a problem worse by blaming the victim, merely practice what you preach and lead by example.

1. Reporters need to be willing to reason with and negotiate with the reportee.

2. Guilty parties should do all in their power to remove the negative effect of their rule breaking and minimise their positive gain from it.

3. Uninvolved parties should stay out if they do not have anything helpful to say. Creating more hate is just stupid.

Maybe if we all reread the last line of the 'common sense' rule.

Exellent post.

We do have too many eager reports made out of rage or even deliberate attempts to nail people, but there's also an attitude that even legitimate reports are just out for vengeance or false rather then simply upholding the rules. Rule violations are not okay, and it should never be.

However the "discussion" part is also in particular very true. I think most reasonable report creators should bring it to a discussion first. NOT doing that certainly reinforces(but not guarantees, as Alpha said, dont make assumptions) the image that the poster is in the nasty category of report creators I previously mentioned.

There's a balance to uphold here and in many cases neither side(report creators, defenders) are really keeping to it. And both sides generally needs to be more respectful to each other.

Caesar    438

I am glad to see people are getting my point, I was afraid I would ironically come off as a little angry.

Also papa Emeritus bought up a very valid point as did Alpha and Tomeran about assuming.

-KG-    0

+1

Reports have gotten rather silly lately tbh...just talk about it damnit.

If you get shot, make a discussion and ask who shot you, if no one answers in a few hours then sure, make a formal report. And if you didnt shoot him, dont respond to a thread like that...Ive seen a lot of people speculating and starting rumors and shit in duscussions simply because they're allowed to post in them, if youre not involved there is still no reason for you to post unless you have something constructive to say.

That being said, I know I have posted when I shouldnt have myself as well...

Caesar    438

+1

Reports have gotten rather silly lately tbh...just talk about it damnit.

If you get shot, make a discussion and ask who shot you, if no one answers in a few hours then sure, make a formal report. And if you didnt shoot him, dont respond to a thread like that...Ive seen a lot of people speculating and starting rumors and shit in duscussions simply because they're allowed to post in them, if youre not involved there is still no reason for you to post unless you have something constructive to say.

That being said, I know I have posted when I shouldnt have myself as well...

We can all get carried away at times KG, I am also guilty of it at times.

Better late than never to change though!