Server time: 2017-10-20, 18:06
Safe Zone: CLOSED

Sign in to follow this  
fire805rescue

My thoughts on settlements/safe zones.

When I joined this community 2 years ago it took several in game hours just to have a random encounter which turned into my first RP experience which gave me a glimpse of what I was getting myself into. The RP ultimately landed me a companion who knew of a safe trading location atop a mountain. I eagerly accompanied this individual and found myself on klen mountain where I met a great deal of people and learned of many groups the first being the free medics which provided aid to me. A few weeks after this experience I overheard a person talking about a lake where people relaxed and met other survivors so I asked if I could join him in going to this place and explained I had no knowledge of the area and my vacation went to shit when the dead began to walk again. After a brief introduction and conversation we set off to this lake. Prud lake where I enjoyed many RP experiences and witnesses a few people feuding which was interesting to me because these few encounters never endangered innocent people atleast with my experiences. These two locations sparked a new love for a game that I was growing to hate. I came close to deleting dayz because of so many bad experiences. Until I came to dayzrp and was introduced to many things. That is until SA came about...I feel as if I'm back to being the new guy that has no clue as to wtf is going on. I've had many in game hours and my only experience with another was a bad RP KOS accident due to faulty headset not allowing me to speak back. I'd really really like to see the admin declare a "cease fire" location. It doesn't have to be fancy just a small place that could potentially give others the same experiences I had in the mod days. It doesn't even have to have a group in charge of its defenses...one simple rule. You Break the cease fire agreement then you're temp banned or whatever the admin choose. I just want a place where people can sit around a camp fire and make friends, find a companion to travel with, or find a family (group, clan). Which brings me to another issue...yes this is a game but if it mimics real life do you honestly think in an apocalypse there will be recruiting forums? Anyways. Please just consider it.

There are plenty of places you can find IG currently that emit the best feeling of protection and safety that Chernarus can offer. You just have to find them. But adding a "cease fire safezone" would defeat the entire purpose of an apocalypse. Where you find or create your own safezone. Maintain that safezone through battles, hardships, "apocalypse politics and deals". I don't know how much time you've spend in the standalone Chernarus, but if you are having trouble finding one thing or another, ask or look around on the forums.

But for what little it would bring, or possibly diminish what we already have, and for the work required to create such a place, we'd be better off keeping things the way they are. You don't need to fix what isn't broken. Besides the fact that we're in an apocalypse, that is. That should be fixed buut you know how it is. :troll:

I don't use the forums to find people or places. Everything I have found I did in game. But I'll say it can't hurt anything to have a safe zone...after all in this apocalypse there is still group recruiting outside of the game itself. If a group cam recruit on the website then why can't there be a safe zone? If real immersion is what the goal is then in order to recruit people it has to be done in game. I'd go so far as to say the website can't be used for in game purposes with the exception being reporting.

OFA-Faux    4

Very doubtful something like this will be added to the rules. In the staff Q&A today I asked about a cooldown period of an hour for attacking settlements and they didnt seem to agree.

I feel that currently the rules/staff leans in the favor of bandits and not building settlements. I think until the rules are changed you arnt going to see anything last other than GM because anywhere else just gets initiated on into oblivion. Its sad really because I think if there where rules in place that force bandits to be more creative there would be fun RP for everyone.

Sin    127

Very doubtful something like this will be added to the rules. In the staff Q&A today I asked about a cooldown period of an hour for attacking settlements and they didnt seem to agree.

I feel that currently the rules/staff leans in the favor of bandits and not building settlements. I think until the rules are changed you arnt going to see anything last other than GM because anywhere else just gets initiated on into oblivion. Its sad really because I think if there where rules in place that force bandits to be more creative there would be fun RP for everyone.

There was a time when staff was in favor of mandatory cooldown periods.  Of course, back then things were worse than they are today.

I find it hard to believe that staff is biased toward bandits.  They're biased toward reason and reality.  In reality, the bandit life is much easier than trying to build something new.  And when there's a respawn mechanic, well ... forget about it.  There is no downside.

Thing is though, bandits are cowards looking for an easy lunch.  Tag them on the nose once, they'll come back harder, but hit them again and they'll find easier prey.  Find strength in numbers by offering something people want, then don't be afraid to defend yourself.  That's courage.  For my money, TheGlassSpider is the most courageous and strongest person on this server.  Strongest I've ever seen.

Green Mountain is not an answer.  Green Mountain is a constant shitfest.  Green Mountain is where RP goes to die.  More rules aren't the answer either.  The reason 'everything else' gets initiated on into oblivion is because it's well known or advertised.  As soon as bandits know that there's likely to be players in a given area, guess where they're going to go?  So stay a secret among friends, or stay mobile.

Guest Mak   
Guest Mak

-snip-

Bandits already have an hard life as it is right now: if the RP is not that good in a robbery, it's always their fault, even when the hostage doesn't give anything to work with, robbery RP is not even considered RP by way too many people, and so on... Why should they be penalized even more...

Randle    930

-snip-

Bandits already have an hard life as it is right now: if the RP is not that good in a robbery, it's always their fault, even when the hostage doesn't give anything to work with, robbery RP is not even considered RP by way too many people, and so on... Why should they be penalized even more...

True dat

OFA-Faux    4

There was a time when staff was in favor of mandatory cooldown periods.  Of course, back then things were worse than they are today.

I find it hard to believe that staff is biased toward bandits.  They're biased toward reason and reality.  In reality, the bandit life is much easier than trying to build something new.  And when there's a respawn mechanic, well ... forget about it.  There is no downside.

Thing is though, bandits are cowards looking for an easy lunch.  Tag them on the nose once, they'll come back harder, but hit them again and they'll find easier prey.  Find strength in numbers by offering something people want, then don't be afraid to defend yourself.  That's courage.  For my money, TheGlassSpider is the most courageous and strongest person on this server.  Strongest I've ever seen.

Green Mountain is not an answer.  Green Mountain is a constant shitfest.  Green Mountain is where RP goes to die.  More rules aren't the answer either.  The reason 'everything else' gets initiated on into oblivion is because it's well known or advertised.  As soon as bandits know that there's likely to be players in a given area, guess where they're going to go?  So stay a secret among friends, or stay mobile.

If we want to talk about realism;

How is it realistic to wait to assault a place when 4/5th of a settlement are "asleep" in buildings/tents with guns because people need to work and sleep IRL and them not realistically wake up to people yelling shooting and the screams of their dying friends?

This is a video game and therefor it is impossible to have a goal of pure realism and to shoot down a suggestion on the ground that it wouldnt happen in real life is not right. In real life killing a bandit doesnt send him back to the coast to get re-geared by his buddies and then 90 minutes later he is back with no memory of being at least wounded and ready to fight again. Realistically if you get shot and shove a bunch of rags in it you can just get up and rambo around again. Realistically if you get shot and take morphine you wouldnt be running around!

"So stay a secret among friends, or stay mobile."

Ok so thats the RP you want and I can dig it BUT other people want to have their RP and they should have the right too same with the bandits. Thats why the rules need to be changed to accommodate everyone and allow a clearly disadvantaged group to have their moment to shine without CONSTANT barrages from everyone and their brother to the point they get sick of it and throw in the towel.

Im not saying "No assaulting / initiating on compound eva!" Im saying that it needs to be done within reason and not to the point of harassment and trolling with the end result of one group not want to play on the servers anymore.

-snip-

Bandits have a "hard life" and should because unlike settlers they are IMPOSING/FORCING their RP on others, they are obligated because of this to provide RP. Dont you think its a hard life to want to do something and be interrupted constantly and you cant even say "Yeah this has happened several times already im burnt out i just want to log off, because i cant deal with this right now" because if you do you get reported as well. (avoiding RP)

Its a two way street this hard life you speak off, but since settlers dont impose under threat of avoiding rp reports with not many protections again people who just want to destroy the place for little RP reason.

Those people are correct ROBBERY IS NOT RP in its self, it is just an action like looting or trading, the dialog is the roleplaying and if its;

"SHUT UP SHITHEAD OR WE WILL SHOOT YOU BECAUSE ONE PERSON OUT OF 20 IN THIS COMPOUND DISRESPECTED MY FRIEND" while people you cant pulse check loot whore everything that isnt bolted down and provide zero dialog.

Its BS BAD RP.

Protecting a clearly disadvantage group of players does not immediately infer penalizing another group. If bandits follow rules and become more creative with how they interact with settlements then they dont have to worry about being penalized. They wouldnt have to worry about being reported if they keep other peoples enjoyment in mind.

Dayz RP has a problem with winning > rp, its not peoples goals to help other people have a good time, they just want to win and when those people are bandits we go from enhancing the world by providing believable and fun villains to people just trying to wipe another group off the face of the game to win.

Guest AsOiX   
Guest AsOiX

UGH PREACH IT AGAIN BROTHA! You speak so much truth xD

Guest Mak   
Guest Mak

Bandits have a "hard life" and should because unlike settlers they are IMPOSING/FORCING their RP on others, they are obligated because of this to provide RP. Dont you think its a hard life to want to do something and be interrupted constantly and you cant even say "Yeah this has happened several times already im burnt out i just want to log off, because i cant deal with this right now" because if you do you get reported as well. (avoiding RP)

Its a two way street this hard life you speak off, but since settlers dont impose under threat of avoiding rp reports with not many protections again people who just want to destroy the place for little RP reason.

Those people are correct ROBBERY IS NOT RP in its self, it is just an action like looting or trading, the dialog is the roleplaying and if its;

"SHUT UP SHITHEAD OR WE WILL SHOOT YOU BECAUSE ONE PERSON OUT OF 20 IN THIS COMPOUND DISRESPECTED MY FRIEND" while people you cant pulse check loot whore everything that isnt bolted down and provide zero dialog.

Its BS BAD RP.

Protecting a clearly disadvantage group of players does not immediately infer penalizing another group. If bandits follow rules and become more creative with how they interact with settlements then they dont have to worry about being penalized. They wouldnt have to worry about being reported if they keep other peoples enjoyment in mind.

Dayz RP has a problem with winning > rp, its not peoples goals to help other people have a good time, they just want to win and when those people are bandits we go from enhancing the world by providing believable and fun villains to people just trying to wipe another group off the face of the game to win.

First of all, a robbery IS RP, just like sitting around a campfire chatting, I've no idea how many times you've been robbed/held up, nor by who if you did, but it is, only because you don't like getting robbed or losing your gear, it doesn't mean it's not RP; and the thing about winning>RP, tell me, irl who doesn't wanna be better than the others? smarter? more powerful? That is present in dayzrp too, everybody wants power over the others, everybody wants to be the one who survives, and it would be wrong if it was otherwise...

Chow    45

Snip

Okay!

Nice ''Speech''

Banditry has led to some of the best, most exciting and fun RP I've ever had, but it is a scary zone.

You have to know YOUR limit, and the limit of your counter part.

But what you're saying, that banditry Is'nt RP is bullsheit.

And what is a bandit in your mind?

Guest Mak   
Guest Mak

And by the way, a safe zone is a nono according to me, makes little to no sense, and people would exploit it way too much.

I'm not saying that anything should be made harder for anyone. Real life situation if you think bandits will host tea parties you're wrong. People will do whatever it takes to survive or die amongst the weak. I'm just simply requesting a small neutral zone in an area with less loot. well it just has to be a house in the middle of nowhere. Just a small place where individuals can meet others and create friendships so to speak. I don't think I am asking for a miracle. All it takes is for the staff to pick a location and enforce a cease fire rule. Why is it that the mod had klen mountain as a safe zone but when SA comes out its a free for all. Most of my in game time is spent traveling from one location to another and sitting on roof tops or hills watching the dead wander around hoping maybe just maybe something with a pulse is spotted through my binoculars. And even then it is a risk of attempting to make friends or keep my distance and stealth in fear of being robbed. Not everything in this RP world has to revolve around fear and robbery. In a world gone to shit I'd like to think that there would be others who feel a friendly conversation with others without fear of a raid would be relaxing and enjoyable. BUT if I am wrong then I will continue down the path alone and watch the dead wander the fields like cattle.

OFA-Faux    4

Okay!

Nice ''Speech''

Banditry has led to some of the best, most exciting and fun RP I've ever had, but it is a scary zone.

No the act of robbery in its self IS NOT roleplaying and the dialog during the robbery is what defines it self a roleplaying.

A bandit is someone who acts for personal gain at the expense of others.

Risking your life needlessly (ie attacking a larger fortified force while people are sleeping) is not banditry its bullshitery. Think of highwaymen or maurauders skulking OUTSIDE of policed areas who rob people not siege experts!

Just off the top of my head if bandits had to wait a couple hours or a day before assaulting again here are things they could do.

-Bandits could set up road blocks turning people away from the settlement.

-Bandits could interrogate and rob people bring supplies to the settlement in order to starve them out.

-Send in spies that follow a person out of the settlement to find out escape routes and block them off.

-send in spies to steal seeds / ruin crops to starve the settlement out.

-When people are caught leaving they could be taken hostage and ransomed back to the settlement.

I came up with those in a matter of seconds and I am sure others will come up with better!

sip

First of all, a robbery IS RP, just like sitting around a campfire chatting, I've no idea how many times you've been robbed/held up, nor by who if you did, but it is, only because you don't like getting robbed or losing your gear, it doesn't mean it's not RP; and the thing about winning>RP, tell me, irl who doesn't wanna be better than the others? smarter? more powerful? That is present in dayzrp too, everybody wants power over the others, everybody wants to be the one who survives, and it would be wrong if it was otherwise...

No robbery is not RP in its self and neither is sitting around a campfire. Roleplaying is a person putting on a role and acting, it is dialog that makes the RP. In a broader sense roleplaying is "the changing of one's behaviour to fulfill a social role". The key word in that sentence is social not anti-social.

You seem to be under the impression that just because i think the rules to do with settlements need to be balanced means I think that banditry is just wrong altogether.

BANDITRY IS GOOD AND NEEDED AND FUN BUT THE BAR NEEDS TO BE RAISED WHEN IT COMES TO SETTLEMENTS. IM NOT SAYING NO BANDITS AT ALL!

You couldnt be more wrong and I encourage you to actually read the exchanges we have had over these several posts, because you are clearly not listening or even try to understand things from my point of view.

Also if your attitude is "be better than the others? smarter? more powerful?" in a roleplaying environment then go back to stable. This place is for roleplaying not putting down others to feel good about yourself.

(side note @mak have you been reading Nietzsche or something? lol :P)

The Marshal    353

For whatever my opinion is worth, probably not much, I agree with Faux. He's exactly right, and everyone isn't really looking at this in the positive way it has a high potential to be. Sure, could probably be exploited, as all rules can, but I dot see someone asking for GM to become an initiation free zone. Why not make it the peaceful lake side camp by black lake? I think that's where it's at. Out of the way, where people can focus on friendly RP and character development. If you want to get robbed, or have the potential to, go to Dolina or GM. This isn't disadvantaging any groups, just setting one area for the people who just want to kick back for a few hours after work and have some nice conversation with fellow survivors that doesn't end in "btw, put your hands up."

On another note, unrelated, seen too much gear>RP lately, victim is just to to shut up and do whatever's demanded or be shot. It's a power trip. And what most bandit role players don't think about that could improve RP is personal items. People carry more on them than gear. When you frisk someone for a radio, why not items of interest too? If you're truly interested in RP, inquire about that picture you found in John Doe's pocket, let him revel you with a story of where it was taken, maybe he has a souvenir or keepsake that means something with a story. I'd enjoy bandit RP a LOT more if it involved moments like that.

Chow    45

Okay!

Nice ''Speech''

No the act of robbery in its self IS NOT roleplaying and the dialog during the robbery is what defines it self a roleplaying.

A bandit is someone who acts for personal gain at the expense of others.

Risking your life needlessly (ie attacking a larger fortified force while people are sleeping) is not banditry its bullshitery. Think of highwaymen or maurauders skulking OUTSIDE of policed areas who rob people not siege experts!

Just off the top of my head if bandits had to wait a couple hours or a day before assaulting again here are things they could do.

-Bandits could set up road blocks turning people away from the settlement.

-Bandits could interrogate and rob people bring supplies to the settlement in order to starve them out.

-Send in spies that follow a person out of the settlement to find out escape routes and block them off.

-send in spies to steal seeds / ruin crops to starve the settlement out.

-When people are caught leaving they could be taken hostage and ransomed back to the settlement.

I came up with those in a matter of seconds and I am sure others will come up with better!

-Snip

The act of Robbery is RP.

It happenes every single day IRL, people beeing robbed for various reasons.

Someone is either desperate for equipment, or they just want to ruin someones day.

- Robbery is something that One Character or Group desides to do because various reasons.

- It is an encounter with different people and therefore Roleplaying, as someone Roleplay as the bad guy, but i do agree that the person beeing robbed is forced to RP as the offended/hostage.

But either way, initiating on someone to rob them is infact RP.

Randle    930

For whatever my opinion is worth, probably not much, I agree with Faux. He's exactly right, and everyone isn't really looking at this in the positive way it has a high potential to be. Sure, could probably be exploited, as all rules can, but I dot see someone asking for GM to become an initiation free zone. Why not make it the peaceful lake side camp by black lake? I think that's where it's at. Out of the way, where people can focus on friendly RP and character development. If you want to get robbed, or have the potential to, go to Dolina or GM. This isn't disadvantaging any groups, just setting one area for the people who just want to kick back for a few hours after work and have some nice conversation with fellow survivors that doesn't end in "btw, put your hands up."

On another note, unrelated, seen too much gear>RP lately, victim is just to to shut up and do whatever's demanded or be shot. It's a power trip. And what most bandit role players don't think about that could improve RP is personal items. People carry more on them than gear. When you frisk someone for a radio, why not items of interest too? If you're truly interested in RP, inquire about that picture you found in John Doe's pocket, let him revel you with a story of where it was taken, maybe he has a souvenir or keepsake that means something with a story. I'd enjoy bandit RP a LOT more if it involved moments like that.

The whole thing about extending the RP by finding an item of interest really requires the victim to work with the hostage taker as often its all put on bandits to create the RP when it should be given by the hostage aswell

OFA-Faux    4

snip

snip

The act of Robbery is RP.

It happenes every single day IRL, people beeing robbed for various reasons.

Someone is either desperate for equipment, or they just want to ruin someones day.

- Robbery is something that One Character or Group desides to do because various reasons.

- It is an encounter with different people and therefore Roleplaying, as someone Roleplay as the bad guy, but i do agree that the person beeing robbed is forced to RP as the offended/hostage.

But either way, initiating on someone to rob them is infact RP.

Dude... I cant tell you how many robberies i have seen in-person and on streams where one person is talking telling everyone to shut up while his buddies say nothing and just go through their shit. This is not roleplaying. Just robbing someone doesnt make it roleplaying, its just a robbery. You have to talk to people to play a role and if people dont talk and just point guns standing around looking swag, while you one friend yells at everyone to shut up is not an interaction.

Please read all my posts in this thread to understand the context otherwise its ad nauseam arguing semantics... and what is/isnt RP isnt what we are talking about here.

The Marshal    353

For whatever my opinion is worth, probably not much, I agree with Faux. Hs exactly right, and everyone isn't really looking at this in the positive way it has a high potential to be. Sure, could probably be exploited, as all rules can, but I dot see someone asking for GM to become an initiation free zone. Why not make it the peaceful lake side camp by black lake? I think that's where it's at. Out of the way, where people can focus on friendly RP and character development. If you want to get robbed, or have the potential to, go to Dolina or GM. This isn't disadvantaging any groups, just setting one area for the people who just want to kick back for a few hours after work and have some nice conversation with fellow survivors that doesn't end in "btw, put your hands up."

The whole thing about extending the RP by finding an item of interest really requires the victim to work with the hostage taker as often its all put on bandits to create the RP when it should be given by the hostage aswell

Well...maybe next time I have a suggestion I'll just go straight to a staff member instead of causing n argument over bandits.

The Marshal    353

Might be best to leave that sort of talk to yourself, it doesn't has much of a place in this community, at least in this thread. Speaking as another gun owner (I'm actually an NRA Instructor) you do have those rights, but don't go around advertising you've shot at people without remorse, and that you'd do it again. Multiple reasons for that, as well as it just plain makes people uneasy. This is a gaming community, not a 'I'm a man' fest. The rules state you can defend yourself, pretty clearly, so there's really no need to spout that off.

(Edit:) Forgive my grammar, phone doesn't seem to enjoy the DayZRP forum engine...

Grimskie    0

As far as i know we have settlements...and quite a few. Granted who you know and who knows you helps a lot. Most groups control a part of the map in a way. If your in dolina,and Alcyone is online you are gonna be mostly safe. Yeah the 501'st could roll up because there is someone they don't like inside and hold the entire town up. But for the most part it is kinda like real life. Eveywhere has a chance of getting invaded by another country or terrorist group some more likely than others,But it is still possible. I think the system works perfectly as is.

On another note,iv seen the system where safe zones are safe,but it seems to ruin the rp around the zone because people stop worrying about there characters reputation in the zone because they cant be hurt. They run wild cussing saying they wanna kill everyone pushing people around and being annoying and they as soon as they leave like 20 people run up on them and they go on the forums to cry.

The Marshal    353

I would consider it up to the individual if they wished to go there and deal with that, it's nice to have the option. I'd imagine the admins would devise a rule set for this place, and a 'no hostile RP' rule would encompass people threatening to kill others. No individual can escape the consequences of their actions, play stupid games and you win stupid prizes. People acting like that will get theirs.

OFA-Faux    4

Well...maybe next time I have a suggestion I'll just go straight to a staff member instead of causing n argument over bandits.

I can say if someone attempts to rob me I will not hesitate to open fire. And I'll argue that with any staff member regardless of rules. Where I live I have the right to defend my property and if I feel threatened I have every right to take lethal action...In real life I own various firearms and have shot at 3 people and injured one in attempted burglary and attempted car jacking. So with that bandits beware I will defend myself at all costs lol.

Debate and discussion is healthy. Its good you brought this topic up.

Its not an argument about bandits. sigh. Its an argument about settlements not being able to last long because people just want to shut them down for RP apparently and the rules to not provide adequate protection too them.

I have to agree with The Marshal you really shouldnt be bragging that you have injured another person with a fire arm. Thank the gods you didnt commit homicide. Saying stuff like this makes me worry that you might hurt people and happy I live in Canada.

As far as i know we have settlements...and quite a few. Granted who you know and who knows you helps a lot. Most groups control a part of the map in a way. If your in dolina,and Alcyone is online you are gonna be mostly safe. Yeah the 501'st could roll up because there is someone they don't like inside and hold the entire town up. But for the most part it is kinda like real life. Eveywhere has a chance of getting invaded by another country or terrorist group some more likely than others,But it is still possible. I think the system works perfectly as is.

On another note,iv seen the system where safe zones are safe,but it seems to ruin the rp around the zone because people stop worrying about there characters reputation in the zone because they cant be hurt. They run wild cussing saying they wanna kill everyone pushing people around and being annoying and they as soon as they leave like 20 people run up on them and they go on the forums to cry.

As far as I know (and im pretty connected IC being a doctor IC and I read allot of stuff OOC) Pinewood might be up and running and then there is Vandy's group idea but these are both relatively new.

Unless some one from Alcyon corrects me but Dolina isnt really a settlement anymore at least not actively anymore.

I have been involved as a doctor in the majority of the settlements since January and witnessed allot of stuff first hand. I would expect if you had the same experiences as I have had than you wouldnt be saying the system work perfectly.

Just because some work perfectly for you doesnt mean that it works perfectly for others, If you dont believe me, spend some time as a settler and you might see things differently in some one elses shoes.

Like I've said before I won't use the forums or OOC to figure out things IC. To me that sort of ruins the RP experience. But as far as a save zone I was just thinking the old mod dayz when you could find a sort of safe haven away from the hell going on. As far as abusing by language and other acts...the first time I experienced this was at prud lake a while back which was recorded and reports made from several people. But either way I may have just been going on hopes of something that obviously has severe mixed reviews. Harsh world we live in so maybe I'll stick to high grounds and carefully exam locations and only go in if unoccupied. I worked hard for the supplies I have. I really don't feel like being robbed or anything else out of curiosity of finding a friendly person.