Server time: 2017-08-20, 08:08

Sign in to follow this  
Glitch

NVFL Rule better explained?

Glitch    15

It seems fuzzy for people still including myself. Can someone better explain it to me and others who read this?

I understand that if you are initiated on by an outnumbering amount you should comply because if you comply you should live, which you want so therefore VFL but lets say you have a chance to escape, run from people coming at you or fight back which would also save your life that as well is VFL, plus it doesn't seem as realistic to have to always comply because that's the only way to do it, in a more realistic scenario you probably wouldn't be able to guarantee you will live if you comply for all you know you are walking into someone's belly.

So I think there needs to be a happy middle here. If a group of people are running at me from a far distance I would probably run, IF they look hostile. If three guys or more initiated on me I would comply but if it's two or less I would try to escape if I get a good chance, or fight back if given a good chance. I think that is a happy medium, the robbers still have the advantage over you but it's not a ridiculous one for one person to take on two, as for one on three or more that's a little much for one person. What are other peoples thoughts? Is this even necessary or can someone better explain the NVFL because at this point it feels like NO MATTER WHAT I must let myself fall into the hands of the robbers if there are more of them than me alone.

It would also depend the scenario, if three people initiated on you alone directly that's a situation where I think you should comply but if they initiate on someone else and you are hidden somewhere else that'd be all right in my opinion, but if it were four guys initiating on one guy and you are hiding that's a little much.

To sum it up.

Direct initiation on you by two or less, you don't have to comply. (I would to not get shot right away and then pull a move if you have a good chance.)

Direct initiation on you by three or more, you comply.

Initiation on someone else by three or less you can play hero.

Initiation on someone else by four or more you should hold back or surrender to them.

NishiUrban    79

I feel like a lot of things, value for life is circumstantial frequently. When you get initiated on, you don't always know the exact amount of people who are initiating on you, or how many of them have you in their sights. A lot of the time initiations happen abruptly on the victims side, while the initiators have already had time to prepare for it by getting vantages or hiding etc.

I've seen plenty of instances of someone being initiated on, killing the people trying to take them hostage, and everything is fine because of it (usually). It seems like when someone takes the gamble of not complying, by trying to kill the initiators, or running away. That NVFL becomes more prevalent if you die as a direct result of non-compliance.

My advice would probably be to consider the situation as if, should your character die, they would actually be dead. That's generally how I go about it, granted I usually try to keep myself alive long enough to talk my way out of it.

Brad    155

There are many circumstances that go into NVFL.

Are you outnumbered?  Are you outgunned?  Are you outpositioned?

Every situation (just like a lot of things that happen in RP) is different and depends on many variables.

At the end of it all you want to ROLEPLAY the situation out.

Maybe you can kill everyone, but should you?  

More often than not you should and will comply.  In these circumstances it is likely the robbers have things in control and mean business.

In the rare instances where you get the upper hand and take someone out who isn't prepared it can be a lot of fun.  However, these instances are rare for a reason, and that reason is this is a roleplay server and not a firefight server.

Glitch    15

There are many circumstances that go into NVFL.

Are you outnumbered?  Are you outgunned?  Are you outpositioned?

Every situation (just like a lot of things that happen in RP) is different and depends on many variables.

At the end of it all you want to ROLEPLAY the situation out.

Maybe you can kill everyone, but should you?  

More often than not you should and will comply.  In these circumstances it is likely the robbers have things in control and mean business.

In the rare instances where you get the upper hand and take someone out who isn't prepared it can be a lot of fun.  However, these instances are rare for a reason, and that reason is this is a roleplay server and not a firefight server.

That's a really good point, and of course depending on your character you might not be the person to kill two people. You are absolutely right, you shouldn't be thinking about (How can I kill these guys so I survive) That's public thinking you should be thinking (I'm not the kind of character to kill in a heartbeat) that's RP thinking, thank you for explaining to me better!

Brad    155

That's a really good point, and of course depending on your character you might not be the person to kill two people. You are absolutely right, you shouldn't be thinking about (How can I kill these guys so I survive) That's public thinking you should be thinking (I'm not the kind of character to kill in a heartbeat) that's RP thinking, thank you for explaining to me better!

No problem :)

It definitely has a lot to do with what your character would do, most people would be very scared if confronted by guns, some might not be, but would be patient to see what the situation is and if there is anyway to get the drop on the robbers.

I guess a good way to explain the majority of the NVFL rulebreaks, is that they happen because of a lack of patience.  People react too quickly and get themselves killed.  They don't fear for their lives (thus not valuing their lives) and pay because of it.

It's a good rule to discuss though as it does have a few variables as mentioned previously.

Pussy    311

I feel like this has been explained really nicely in NishiUrban, and Brad's posts above and I strongly agree with all of their points made.

I tend to approach the NVFL rule by putting as much realism as possible into the situation, meaning that I may permadeath a character that I love for the sake of the role play. Knowing this in the back of my mind, it makes me much more cautious when it comes to situations like these, which I think is well within the realm of realism.

Another thing I tend to keep in mind is what would make sense for my character. I have knowledge of my own skills in the game, and may be able to come out of that situation alive, but most of my characters are civilians who had to learn to shoot a gun. None of them really have the skills in order to think that they could prosper from trying to shoot two individuals. I like to keep that in mind as well. Questions I like to keep into consideration when in situations like these are things like: What would your character do? Does it make role play sense? Do they have the skills present to be successful?

Even still with the above points mentioned, I would caution you to be careful. There are many factors that go into situations like these. Factors that should never be discredited because it may mean life or death to your character, and a possible penalization for you. I believe Brad covered those points rather nicely in his post. There may be more people in the trees with their sights on you. There might be somebody in a nearby house. One might survive the attack and radio in for more help in hunting you down. All of these things should be taken into consideration.

I guess this is the long-winded way of saying that you run a huge risk if you decide to go against your captor's orders, or try to fight back when outnumbered. To me personally, it doesn't make much sense in or out of character.

Life > loot.

Glitch    15

I feel like this has been explained really nicely in NishiUrban, and Brad's posts above and I strongly agree with all of their points made.

I tend to approach the NVFL rule by putting as much realism as possible into the situation, meaning that I may permadeath a character that I love for the sake of the role play. Knowing this in the back of my mind, it makes me much more cautious when it comes to situations like these, which I think is well within the realm of realism.

Another thing I tend to keep in mind is what would make sense for my character. I have knowledge of my own skills in the game, and may be able to come out of that situation alive, but most of my characters are civilians who had to learn to shoot a gun. None of them really have the skills in order to think that they could prosper from trying to shoot two individuals. I like to keep that in mind as well. Questions I like to keep into consideration when in situations like these are things like: What would your character do? Does it make role play sense? Do they have the skills present to be successful?

Even still with the above points mentioned, I would caution you to be careful. There are many factors that go into situations like these. Factors that should never be discredited because it may mean life or death to your character, and a possible penalization for you. I believe Brad covered those points rather nicely in his post. There may be more people in the trees with their sights on you. There might be somebody in a nearby house. One might survive the attack and radio in for more help in hunting you down. All of these things should be taken into consideration.

I guess this is the long-winded way of saying that you run a huge risk if you decide to go against your captor's orders, or try to fight back when outnumbered. To me personally, it doesn't make much sense in or out of character.

Life > loot.

That's true as well, and when people become attached to their gear it interferes with RP as said in other threads I have read. It makes you want to stay away from people or kinda instinctively you start thinking publicly (how can I survive, how can I keep my gear) when really you should stop yourself and say, what would my character do? That's a good point and I think I might start doing that more often. And we all get upset sometimes when we start to get robbed so we act angry IG and that can be good for characters who react that way but that's also a scenario where you should ask yourself how your character would act, it would probably improve RP. Very good point.