Server time: 2017-10-17, 09:17
Safe Zone: OPENING SOON

Sign in to follow this  
Guest Kenji

24 hour timer for compound/settlement initiations

Guest Kenji   
Guest Kenji

this would make it more realistic and give settlements a bigger chance to actually get off the ground 

it would work in the following way 

if a group initiates on a compound or settlement and gets defeated in the attempt

they are not allowed to initiate for 24 hours 

IC reasoning is that the group is wounded and needs to recover from a loss 

OOC this will allow for settlements to actually have a chance 

and this rule will apply for the defending group is they get defeated in the conflict they will also have the same timer for the same reasons 

but if the attacking group is not holding the compound or settlement they can return at their own risk for the attacking party did not loose so so not have the timer 

this timer does not count outside the settlement only if they want to initiate on the whole settlement.

so if members of the group holding the settlement gets caught outside there settlement they can be imitated on 

and may be have a 500m exlusion zone.

to allow people from the defending group to get out of the settlement and get supplies 

let me know what you think

JDoberman    52

I like the current rule. Just because its happening on a compound, doesn't mean it's different from other type of initiations.

Montanez    25

and this rule will apply for the defending group is they get defeated in the conflict they will also have the same timer for the same reasons 

but if the attacking group is not holding the compound or settlement they can return at their own risk for the attacking party did not loose so so not have the timer 

It will not make in character sense to attack a compound and then after winning, letting them heal up. If i were to attack a compound i'll do it till they're completely wiped out and if i really wanted to, i would do it over and over to make sure they're dead or they're not coming back. 

I personally dislike this suggestion.

I prefer not, it just complicates RP. Where it is often unpleasant to be constantly under siege it would in my opinion be better addressed within RP.

Roman once told Percy that "places don't matter just people". The settlement or group can move at any time.

Its interesting to talk about the relationship that develops between peaceful settlements and hostile groups however.

Guest CUDA   
Guest CUDA

No. If you are tired of people initiating on your compound then move.

Guest Kenji   
Guest Kenji

-snip-

It will not make in character sense to attack a compound and then after winning, letting them heal up. If i were to attack a compound i'll do it till they're completely wiped out and if i really wanted to, i would do it over and over to make sure they're dead or they're not coming back. 

if you win the attack the counter does not count but for the loosing side they can not counter attack for 24 hours

Jm Von Cat    154

What you have brought up is an old rule from the mod days when we had player made settlements such as Desal and Solace. Right now we only have high population locations that multiple groups try to claim. When/if we get map editing capabilities then this rule may be re implemented for player made camps again.

For now though... I can't see this rule becoming a thing.

Guest Kenji   
Guest Kenji

What do you define as a compound/ settlement?

it would have to be established maybe in the groups page 

otherwise people will just claim compound / settlement to get out of initiations

Sandy    17

I see where you are coming at with this idea, but I feel it is too complicated to implement.

Firstly saying a defeat is far to vague IMO, battles in dayz RP are rarely one sided, people die on both sides usually and a group is rarely wiped out completely.

Then there is the limiting factor on RP, if I want to take everyone in a settlement hostage for whatever reason I don't really need a time limit, I want to do it when I have a good number of people in my group online and the best day for this could be one day a week. a lot happens in a week of RP, it could change the outcome of inter group stories because of a rule.

I do agree that settlements are often attacked just because, but a rule like this wouldn't help IMO. A rule against groups IC bullying other groups/settlements frequently could be used though, to allow some RP without constant hostage situations and PVP.

Zero    451

An interesting idea. I can't stand it when certain groups just initiate over and over despite them losing. What do they have, entire armies behind them? Cloning machines? Sure you could always say "That was a random guy that was part of my group that died." Or "I was just wounded." How does an entire group get wounded though? I would have made sure they were dead.

OFA-Faux    4

It doesnt make IC sense to get killed assaulting a place then wake up on the beach get given gear by mates and then wait out a timer and go back and rinse repeat until you "make sure they're dead or they're not coming back." Also remember this isnt real life its a video game with people who arnt really what ever their characters are and they want to have fun too. Attitudes like this is Winning > RP. Ok you assaulted the place and won GG, we give good hostage RP and you had your fun, can we now have ours? No, you just want to exterminate us... Cool, yeah i totally want to log on and play a game with people who are more concerned with winning than letting others enjoy the game.

This is not standalone this ROLEPLAYING, you shouldnt be trying to win, you should be trying to create as much fun as you can for the people you are ROLEPLAYING with.

The rules are broken in regards to settlements and are slanted in the favor of the aggressor's groups and it has ruined allot of great RP.

Bandits need to be forced to become more creative, im sick of people going into places insulting people fishing for some to stand up for them selves and as soon as they do its "MUCH DISRESPECT ALL PEOPLE DROP WEPS 10 SEC!" which IMO is just laziness on the part of bandits.

I think a rule change doesnt limit bandit RP but force them to be more creative. Not being able to come within a distance of settlement doesnt mean you cant RP with the group!

Just off the top of my head if bandits had to wait a couple hours or a day before assaulting again here are things they could do.

-Bandits could set up road blocks turning people away from the settlement.

-Bandits could interrogate and rob people bring supplies to the settlement in order to starve them out.

-Send in spies that follow a person out of the settlement to find out escape routes and block them off.

-send in spies to steal seeds / ruin crops to starve the settlement out.

-When people are caught leaving they could be taken hostage and ransomed back to the settlement.

I came up with those in a matter of seconds and I am sure others will come up with better!

The current rules make it way to easy for bandits to be creatively lazy and the same old much disrespect initiations where everyone gets yelled at to shut up or die pretty gets fucking old.

Bandits on these servers can do better and the rules need to be changed to force them to do so.

Eagle    409

i personally like this idea maybe the timer needs to be changed but the the whole concept off it is great i have always found it silly when  a group attacks a certain area and ID them self's fully withe group name and such only for them to return after being killed and do the same thing over and over until they breach in and even then they don't really stick around that area for a long time, maybe  a day or a couple hours  passes  and they do the same thing again i feel like there should be more to the attack then just to kill every one on  site as a objective there shut be good enough reason for the attack like they want the compound for them self or the group that runs it has a beef withe another group even then they shut try to take the  leader captive and try to tell them to leave or there leader will be killed or try leaving a warning such as if you will not be gone when we return again you will all be killed instead off  *EVERY BODY GET ON THE F*** GROUND OR YOU WILL BE SHOT* .

Heroz_Nick    21

The world gets reset ever day in chernarus < quote I thought of during the mod days, but for the time being I know how stressful it is Timmy, but now is not the time for this rule, maybe during the new patch..whenever that comes out.

Matt    24

Sometimes in life ya just gotta suck it up and put ya big boy pants on and move compound if ya can't handle constant attacks.

But this does not mean BANDITS that you should just attack 24/7, that just makes rp stale and boring as hell. You want constant PVP then go to a public server, an attack from the same people should be done maybe every two days but not all day everyday that is boring.

BUT no way in hell I want that BS rule we had last time, I do not want to announce that I am attacking completely ruins rp and any immersion I had.

So a big fat NO from me.

Montanez    25

It doesnt make IC sense to get killed assaulting a place then wake up on the beach get given gear by mates and then wait out a timer and go back and rinse repeat until you "make sure they're dead or they're not coming back." Also remember this isnt real life its a video game with people who arnt really what ever their characters are and they want to have fun too. Attitudes like this is Winning > RP. Ok you assaulted the place and won GG, we give good hostage RP and you had your fun, can we now have ours? No, you just want to exterminate us... Cool, yeah i totally want to log on and play a game with people who are more concerned with winning than letting others enjoy the game.

This is not standalone this ROLEPLAYING, you shouldnt be trying to win, you should be trying to create as much fun as you can for the people you are ROLEPLAYING with.

The rules are broken in regards to settlements and are slanted in the favor of the aggressor's groups and it has ruined allot of great RP.

Bandits need to be forced to become more creative, im sick of people going into places insulting people fishing for some to stand up for them selves and as soon as they do its "MUCH DISRESPECT ALL PEOPLE DROP WEPS 10 SEC!" which IMO is just laziness on the part of bandits.

I think a rule change doesnt limit bandit RP but force them to be more creative. Not being able to come within a distance of settlement doesnt mean you cant RP with the group!

Just off the top of my head if bandits had to wait a couple hours or a day before assaulting again here are things they could do.

-Bandits could set up road blocks turning people away from the settlement.

-Bandits could interrogate and rob people bring supplies to the settlement in order to starve them out.

-Send in spies that follow a person out of the settlement to find out escape routes and block them off.

-send in spies to steal seeds / ruin crops to starve the settlement out.

-When people are caught leaving they could be taken hostage and ransomed back to the settlement.

I came up with those in a matter of seconds and I am sure others will come up with better!

The current rules make it way to easy for bandits to be creatively lazy and the same old much disrespect initiations where everyone gets yelled at to shut up or die pretty gets fucking old.

Bandits on these servers can do better and the rules need to be changed to force them to do so.

Sorry if you don't like it bud, but that's the way it works. As someone else said, if you can't stand getting constantly attacked then move on. And i know this is a game, but it is played by real people, and although i'm sure it'll be hella different in a real scenario, this is the way it is. That's what bandits are for, create fear, attack, kill, give good hostile roleplay. 

A lil' suggestion as it seems you're really pissed, if you wanna create a settlement and not get attacked, do not make it public, let people find it by themselves.

OFA-Faux    4

snip'd

Sorry if you don't like it bud, but that's the way it works.

Things can change, they are not set in stone, hence why I am trying to debate it with people. I think I am allowed to express my opinion no?

Edit; I would like to point out that I personally havent tried to set up anything because I know the rules are unbalance. Im speaking from observation of other peoples efforts since I started here on the server.

Rip Hickory Hill Rip Timmy's Trading Post Rip Fishers Clinic Rip Dolina Rip Citadel

All great place before people ruined them!

Jack Allen    18

I'd like to see this, it could be very affective to some of the more popular settlements. Green mountain would be more friendly. But how is everyone supposed to know a settlements been initiated on?

Montanez    25

Things can change, they are not set in stone, hence why I am trying to debate it with people. I think I am allowed to express my opinion no?

Yes you are sir, that's why i'm giving mine too. I know it isn't set in stone and it can change at any moment.

I do not know how many times you've had your settlement overrun by bandits and, i'm yet to know about a group that attacks a settlement multiple times a day (3+), but if that's what happens to you, then i'm sorry bud, It shouldn't be that way. 

Attacking a place once or two a day is completely fine with me in my opinion, passing that mark then you have some serious issues and probably some OOC hate. Although i don't like the idea, i can't stop other bandits from doing so. 

By the looks of it, you've experienced incredibly shitty bandit RP throughout your time here, and that's something that need to be changed. Maybe try something new?

If you think that all the bandits here are lazy, then you should make a settlement all the way north east, i'm sure we're lazy enough not to run up there.

Guest Kenji   
Guest Kenji

-snip-

Sorry if you don't like it bud, but that's the way it works. As someone else said, if you can't stand getting constantly attacked then move on. And i know this is a game, but it is played by real people, and although i'm sure it'll be hella different in a real scenario, this is the way it is. That's what bandits are for, create fear, attack, kill, give good hostile roleplay. 

A lil' suggestion as it seems you're really pissed, if you wanna create a settlement and not get attacked, do not make it public, let people find it by themselves.

so you have your fun on the expense of others 

sure hostile RP is fun at times both giving and receiving there off 

this way the bandits have their fun and the people that want to create a RP hub get some time to do RP 

you are basically saying i want to rob you so i rob you over and over again and i dont care if you like it or not i will keep doing it because i want to 

that mentality will ruin the experience for others that are getting tired of it 

your entire stance is bases  on the selfish need for you to have what you want and no compromise 

this way you initiate have your fun and if you loose you have to bully other characters around 

its not like a bandit group has no enemies to pick on other than that single target

Montanez    25

so you have your fun on the expense of others 

sure hostile RP is fun at times both giving and receiving there off 

this way the bandits have their fun and the people that want to create a RP hub get some time to do RP 

you are basically saying i want to rob you so i rob you over and over again and i dont care if you like it or not i will keep doing it because i want to 

that mentality will ruin the experience for others that are getting tired of it 

your entire stance is bases  on the selfish need for you to have what you want and no compromise 

this way you initiate have your fun and if you loose you have to bully other characters around 

its not like a bandit group has no enemies to pick on other than that single target

I'm not having fun at the expense of others, if i were to do so i'd be breaking the rules, and i'm not. I have the right to initiate on a compound as long as i know what i'm doing and as long as i make sure i don't KoS a complying hostage. 

I'm trying to give fun to the people, and at this point in time I've only had complaints about salty people who didn't get their gear back, besides that 80% of people are nice enough to have a conversation with me or my group saying how much they enjoyed the RP. 

I guess you're simply not getting the hostile RP you deserve, perhaps it keeps happening by new roleplayers or wannabe bandits?

Guest Geolash   
Guest Geolash

Ok, even if people don't make it public and such. It will still be spread around just as if it was made public once people find it in game. Then the same thing will happen, blah blah blah.

Montanez    25

Ok, even if people don't make it public and such. It will still be spread around just as if it was made public once people find it in game. Then the same thing will happen, blah blah blah.

People have tried it before, it will get overrun nonetheless, but you will get to do your RP for waaaay longer. 

I'd say that it will take 10 times as much before you get attacked by bandits, it's an idea that some people have used and some people still use. You won't believe the multiple small tiny settlements that can be found in the unknown east, it gives an incredible feeling to the game.

Sometimes in life ya just gotta suck it up and put ya big boy pants on and move compound if ya can't handle constant attacks.

But this does not mean BANDITS that you should just attack 24/7, that just makes rp stale and boring as hell. You want constant PVP then go to a public server, an attack from the same people should be done maybe every two days but not all day everyday that is boring.

BUT no way in hell I want that BS rule we had last time, I do not want to announce that I am attacking completely ruins rp and any immersion I had.

So a big fat NO from me.

I agree completely with what Matts saying here, but I'd also like to add to the "if you want PvP go to a pub server" statement that he brought up. The initiations from bandits is only half of what causes the PvP in the first place, I feel like too many times bandits are blamed for too much PvP when really the other half is also groups of people just not complying for the sake of it, whether it be because they want to keep their gear or they themselves are just up for a fight. Just remember even if you do stand a chance of winning, complying will always lead to more roleplay than just shooting it out, perhaps these bandits that are constantly initiating want to establish some sort of RP story line such as extortion or even offering "protection" for a payment.

Pussy    377

With the way the game is now, where there is no actual barricades or bases to be attacked on, it makes it difficult to put rules like this up.

How does a group claim a settlement for themselves without there being actual barricades? What does one count as a settlement? How would one qualify to have a settlement? How large is the radius for said settlement? There are just way too many questions and issues I can see going wrong with this rule... too many variables and I can see it going wrong in reports.

I believe that if you're in a group who has decided to "settle" a town, and you are getting attacked... you should likely move for the sake of your people and interest of prolonging your group. I don't think it makes sense for you to "go down with the ship" for in character situations such as these. To me, it makes far more sense to pack up, escape, abandon the current settlement, and go create another one. 

Personally, I think a situation like this should be dealt with in character and not through the rules since it could be amazing for character development and role play!