Server time: 2017-08-19, 05:45

Sign in to follow this  
Rassle

Morphine changes you!

Rassle    0

I think we all know the morphine-injector. 

The description of it states that morphine can cause a change in behavior.

So I made some research and found out that a behavioral change is in fact not unusual. 

[...] Morphine induced significant changes in the behavior elements recorded. [...]

Other co-occurring disorders would be:

- antisocial personality disorder

- borderline personality disorder 

So, I'm not saying we should all study the impacts of morphine to perfectionate our roleplay,

but maybe we could (if wanted) try to include some behavorial changes in our roleplay when injection morphine.

I think it would be quite interesting, what do you think?

-Rassle

DinoB    20

I don't really support this as I think people might use that as an excuse to troll, but it does sound cool.

Conor    243

Can you link me your sources? I am very interested where you have read things linking morphine to Borderline Personality Disorder.

Spartan    998

When I broke my arm at three places at the same time and my bone stuck out, the hospital gave me morphine. I got really calm and tired but I got nausous aswell and vomitted every 5 minutes for an hour...

That was the only change in my "behaivor". It is of course diffrent per person but I didn't thought borderline- antisocial PD could be a result.

Boston    646

I actually had a character not too long ago that was addicted to morphine. He went from being a nice guy to being a nervous wreck who wasn't nice to anyone who asked him about it...

Pretty difficult to realistically RP and takes a lot of research to ensure you're not trolling. If you do end up in a report for trolling for this kinda thing, make sure you give your sources. ;)

Rassle    0

Good to hear that from someone with experience!

Anyway, I read that people who are "near" the state of borderline and antisocial personality disorder can use morphine as a trigger.

Now thinking of it, it sounds like you must include many aspects before you can actually "play" a personality change.

Voodoo    357

Its damn good stuff ;)

As I worked in pharmacy I do have an actual medical book of all meds that are used which states all side effects. I guess I can officially check when home from work (never trust the internet).

As stated, if it is possible I don't think it will be supported as it will possibly be used to troll

MatthewFC    9

Most people try to RP morphine injections incorrectly. More often than not it's roleplayed as an acid trip (as in, LSD) rather than the sedative it is.

For a single dose, a morphine dosage should be RPed as a sedative with small side effects of drowsiness and constipation (potentially nausea and vomiting, should your character be prone or currently vulnerable to those). It doesn't modify your perception or response to outside stimulus (your senses) except for the strong sedative effects it carries. Thus, no behavioral change.

For a morphine addiction, behavioral changes should be reserved mostly to a strong craving of the substance when the effects of the drug wear out. The craving can be so strong as to force to addict to do things he normally wouldn't do in order to get a fix. Then we can talk about a behavior change, but triggering personality disorders... no, or not as the direct cause at least.

I know it's for the sake of gameplay that morphine "fixes" broken bones in the game but that's not exactly what it should do. Sure, it eases pain and all that but it's symptoms are almost identical to heroin, whilst being a highly addictive substance. Also slightly decreasing your motor skills. Lack of it after some time of usage causes severe withdrawal symptoms.

I think they could've done a better job of showing the side effects of injecting morphine.

cakey    15

ah that sounds fun but i find it hard to find good people to RP with cause we all end up getting robbed.

Ramon    331

I dont need morphine to be antisocial.....

I think we all know the morphine-injector. 

The description of it states that morphine can cause a change in behavior.

So I made some research and found out that a behavioral change is in fact not unusual. 

[...] Morphine induced significant changes in the behavior elements recorded. [...]

Other co-occurring disorders would be:

- antisocial personality disorder

- borderline personality disorder 

So, I'm not saying we should all study the impacts of morphine to perfectionate our roleplay,

but maybe we could (if wanted) try to include some behavorial changes in our roleplay when injection morphine.

I think it would be quite interesting, what do you think?

-Rassle

These sound like symptoms that would only occur after frequent, long term use.

Antisocial personality disorder forms from any frequent/habitual/addictive drug use. Because you refer to the drug as your penultimate solution to everything.

My mother had a hysterectomy (or some extreme surgery, I'm a shit son so I can't remember exactly) but she was doped up during/after the surgery. She basically sounded very stoned - a bit slow, euphoric and emotional.

The problem is with the information you've given - it's only the names of the disorers with no information regarding the severity, frequency or how long the subjects were using morphine - as one person posted before, it's basically heroin. Nobody is going to administer heroin and developer a personality disorder in a split second. The way you've written - people could misinterpret this and start RPing schizophrenia after injecting morphine.

The best way to RP morphine would just think of it has having a relieving orgasm; you feel satisfied, your body feels good and you've forgotten your worries for a little bit.

NishiUrban    79

There are definitely people who rp certain things incorrectly, or at least overly exaggerated. Mental illness and drug use being high on the list, no pun intended. ;)

Most people I've seen just ignore the fact that they've been injected with morphine, because they aren't sure how to rp it out or are in a pressing situation that requires their full attention. I've rped being given morphine at least once before, and tried to keep it as grounded as possible with feelings of euphoria, and some minor slurred speech, and mild confusion. Perhaps that wasn't exactly the correct way to rp it out, and I'm open to suggestions on how to properly do so for future reference.

Nocheluz    104

Most people try to RP morphine injections incorrectly. More often than not it's roleplayed as an acid trip (as in, LSD) rather than the sedative it is.

For a single dose, a morphine dosage should be RPed as a sedative with small side effects of drowsiness and constipation (potentially nausea and vomiting, should your character be prone or currently vulnerable to those). It doesn't modify your perception or response to outside stimulus (your senses) except for the strong sedative effects it carries. Thus, no behavioral change.

For a morphine addiction, behavioral changes should be reserved mostly to a strong craving of the substance when the effects of the drug wear out. The craving can be so strong as to force to addict to do things he normally wouldn't do in order to get a fix. Then we can talk about a behavior change, but triggering personality disorders... no, or not as the direct cause at least.

This^ is closest to the correct answer regarding the effects of Morphine. Morphine is a narcotic analgesic, which means it relieves pain by altering the brain's perception of pain. It is also an opiod, which is what causes the "high" effect. So while getting a few doses of morphine, one might feel mildly euphoric, but not always. As Spartan's experience notes, if the morphine is pushed (injected) into an IV (which is how we usually give it) too fast, it will cause nausea and vomiting, light headedness, etc.

Rarely would one or two doses of Morphine cause extreme behavioral changes. This would occur if one had developed an addiction to the drug.

Janana    28

This^ is closest to the correct answer regarding the effects of Morphine. Morphine is a narcotic analgesic, which means it relieves pain by altering the brain's perception of pain. It is also an opiod, which is what causes the "high" effect. So while getting a few doses of morphine, one might feel mildly euphoric, but not always. As Spartan's experience notes, if the morphine is pushed (injected) into an IV (which is how we usually give it) too fast, it will cause nausea and vomiting, light headedness, etc.

Rarely would one or two doses of Morphine cause extreme behavioral changes. This would occur if one had developed an addiction to the drug.

Hardly even rarely. It is impossible to get addicted, or have any sort of behavior tendencies just by taking two shots of morphine. This obviously depends on how much you inject each time but if you were to apply it correctly in-game, there is not enough morphine in each syringe to effectively create an addiction (which would then create a behavior change) unless you take several epipens a day in a consistent manner. With that said, its very important to note that despite the very low amount of morphine in the syringes in-game, Morphine along with other opiates are highly addictive substances which result in a rapid tolerance and an equally rapid form of dependency. It affects both the mind and body and it is very hard to give up once you get going. I want to stress that major behavior changes, or even just some more minor behavior changes would not be taken into account after a longer more abusive history with the drug. Spartan, Matt and Nocheluz have given you a good run down.

The behavior change that would go into affect would not be of addiction behaviors that you see in a lot of other drug addictions.

The following are symptoms of Morphine Addiction: 

• Shallow breathing - We're talking just a few breaths a minute
  • Feeling faint
  • Confusion
  • Low blood pressure
  • Constricted pupils
  • Loss of muscle tension
  • Possible Cardiac Arrest
  • Clammy skin
  • Coma

If they try to discontinue this drug abuse, his or her behaviors would express the following:

• Sweating
  • Chills
  • Tearing Eyes
  • Running Nose
  • Restlessness
  • Muscles Aches
  • Backaches
  • Dilated Pupils
  • Irritability
  • Sleep Apnea
  • High Blood Pressure
  • Rapid Heart rate
  • Vomiting
  • Diarrhea
  • Stomach Cramps

All that is listed above counts toward the very fact of unhealthy addiction. If you are to use morphine for an injury or some other reason, behavior would very rarely change other than the minor fact that your character would be more relaxed, and perhaps dizzy. Other than that, everything above is null until you decide to introduce addiction. If anyone does decide to create an addiction using this drug, I'd suggest using what is written above as a reference to your behaviors.

Sources: NarcononMedic8, and me with nursing experience.

Vandy    34

Can you link me your sources? I am very interested where you have read things linking morphine to Borderline Personality Disorder.

Is your characther still addicted to morphine? :D

Duncan Evans, could you enter this discussion? Duncan Evans to the discussion, please? :troll:

Guest CUDA   
Guest CUDA

Yeah most people can't RP being high regardless of what drug they are taking. It's pretty cliche at this point to do drug addicts when you have no knowledge of what your taking and it's effects.