Server time: 2017-08-20, 09:57

Sign in to follow this  
Sandy

New Hostage Rule Questions

Question

Sandy    3

I've got a few questions regarding the New hostage rule based off a few situations I have been in where the rule has been used. I also have a few points about the rule which are more a point of a discussion rather than questions.

Questions:

1. What would be a reasonable demand?

I was recently found not guilty in a report for executing a hostage by using the new rule, my demands were for his friends who were outnumbered and cornered to surrender. The verdict stated it would not normally be a reasonable demand but given the situation it was. I know every demand that could ever by used cannot be listed but what common demands would be considered reasonable or unreasonable.

2. Is ransom for gear actually allowed?

So while it at first looks bad since if you take someone hostage and rob them, then demand more gear form their friends it looks very greedy and gear>RP. However I do believe this can add more to RP as you get to do RP over TS to their friends, you will hold them hostage longer and should therefore be giving move RP to the hostage rather than a short robbery. It is difficult to RP with a random you rob for a long time while you wait for the ransom payment so it forces robbers to put in more effort to their RP.

More a discussion than a question but the aim for this rule was to increase RP with hostages however what I have seen is more hostages executed because demands are given and people do not comply to them either because they are unreasonable, they don't care, or sometimes they never receive the demands or they are unclear. I feel a lot of hostage takers think they can completely control the situation and are unfair to the hostages friends. When I have used the rule to get someones friends to stop shooting, I gave demands and they requested their friends by released unharmed, I let them talk to their friend over the radio so they could hear he was safe and it allowed further RP and both sides gained something from the negotiations rather than the hostage taker just acting dictator to the hostages friends. Many people tell you to leave the area as a demand, if someone has my friend hostage I will want to watch that they do not kill/harm them since if I leave they can just execute them anyway and leave unpunished form it.

So really should executions from this rule be less rushed, since if you take a hostage you should be prepared for a rescue mission and rather than just telling them to go away and abandon the mission more RP could come form the situation rather than no RP, an executed hostage and probably a gunfight.

Also should fair terms be discussed when in hostage negotiations, letting people talk to their friends or coming to an agreement rather than just giving a list of demands and an or else.

Hopefully this all makes sense, some of it is more an opinion rather than a question but I feel the rule is vague in some areas and people take it in different ways.

On a side not the examples I use in this are just examples there is no complaints about anyone involved, and many of the things I talk about are situations seen in reports and not a situation I was involved in.

4 answers to this question

Ark    202

Safe passage would be a reasonable demand(as in lowering their weapons and  then you walk out and release the hostage right before your outta eye shot) As for gear it would depend in my opinion. if your teammate gets shot and is knocked out or has a broken leg and you don't have the supplys to patch him/her up I would say that would be fine as I could see someone making a demand like that. Where as if you had a hostage in real life you wouldn't be like " hmm I could use a new gun."

Ghost of Levi    8

There is no straight up awnswer to this, I could list examples but then I would have to list 100's, 1000's of possibilities, it is all dependant on the situation. It all comes down to common scence really. Lets take this report as an example, in this situation you had the tower surrounded with 10+ men and you were against 2 guys and you had one of theirs hostage, they were in an extreme dissatvantage and any attempts to do anything would result in their iminent demise. But if you would revert the situation there is 3 of them in the tower with 1 of yours hostage, you would lose more then you would gain to surrender in that situation so surrendering would be an unlogical demand as the oponent loses more then the hostage takers. But something such as save passage would be something resonable.

TL;DR: If the friends of the hostage would lose more then they would gain it would be considered an invalid demand.

It mostly comes down to common scence as if we were to actually list everything it would take weeks to do so.

Yes.

even if you would look like a greedy one its more then logical to do so, it creates interesting scenarios and robberies for gear are also allowed, what matters is if you provide good roleplay while doing so.

Goku    61

In my opinion I believe that a reasonable demand would be something along the lines of this:

1. Safe passage for you and your allies out of the area.

2. (In a dual hostage situation) Exchanging one hostage for another.

3. A ransom, however not a gear ransom more of information, vehicles, immunity so on and so forth.

Gear ransoms are too difficult, usually because people want and extremely rare item in exchange for a hostage e.g. people asking for AUGs or SVDs which are damn near impossible to gather unless a group member has one he/she is willing to give to save a life.

Voodoo    360

Levi has summed up the answers with his post here:

There is no straight up awnswer to this, I could list examples but then I would have to list 100's, 1000's of possibilities, it is all dependant on the situation. It all comes down to common scence really. Lets take this report as an example, in this situation you had the tower surrounded with 10+ men and you were against 2 guys and you had one of theirs hostage, they were in an extreme dissatvantage and any attempts to do anything would result in their iminent demise. But if you would revert the situation there is 3 of them in the tower with 1 of yours hostage, you would lose more then you would gain to surrender in that situation so surrendering would be an unlogical demand as the oponent loses more then the hostage takers. But something such as save passage would be something resonable.

TL;DR: If the friends of the hostage would lose more then they would gain it would be considered an invalid demand.

It mostly comes down to common scence as if we were to actually list everything it would take weeks to do so.

Yes.

even if you would look like a greedy one its more then logical to do so, it creates interesting scenarios and robberies for gear are also allowed, what matters is if you provide good roleplay while doing so.

I don't think there is much more to be said than that so I will solve this question but leave it open for further discussion :)