Server time: 2017-08-16, 23:52

Sign in to follow this  
Guest CUDA

Muslim Extremist Group.

Guest CUDA   
Guest CUDA

So I and a couple of friends have been playing around with the idea of a Muslim extremist group. Now I know in the past a group similar to this was shut down due to the fact that the staff team decided to not have those kinds of groups around. I would like to know what the staff team and the community in general would think about such a group now a days. 

Keep in mind we would focus heavily on lore and have a rock solid reason for being in the country. We would only have people we know could portray the extremist  Muslim views well. Just putting this thread out there to see the Community and staff discussion about such a group. :) 

Also if any one were to take offence to this idea, know that I my self live in America and understand what memories can be brought up by an idea like this, I mean no offence to any one who practices Islam or any one who has been effected by terrorism.

Oliv    1538

I think if you went further away from the extremist type group, it could be very good. That's my personal opinion on it. Your going to have a fun time vetting your members. It's about more than just trying to kill all infidels...

Dougie    23

I think it is a cool idea, adds some variety to the role play you see. Anything that is out of the ordinary is good with me, just as long as you do your research and know what you are doing. I wouldn't start a group like this without having a real life Muslim in the group because I feel that it would help you immensely to have someone who has first hand experience with the religion rather than just reading a wikipedia page.

I felt Ra's Al-Hayyah did a great job with the Muslim type group, so if you could get in contact with any of their past members I would seek them for advice.

Montanez    25

I'd totally be down for a group like this. I understand that the world is having issues with extremists groups at this point in time, but people gotta understand that this is a game. If research is done about why this groups act and their reasons behind being "extremists," and as long as it doesn't turn trollish, i'd be happy with this group and i might even try it out.

The only I personally oppose groups like this is that everybody (read: most groups) has to have an extreme aspect/point of inspiration to make a group. The level headed groups aren't seen too often. There's some odd compulsion to make groups that are: Military units, cannibals/crazy people/fundamentalists, military fundamentalists. I get that these groups' past makes them more likely to be prepared for some survivalist shit but still...

I get that it's fun to play the idea and myself I'm more for fun entertaining RP over ULTRA REALISM 'press Z to trip over and tie shoelace at the campfire' RP. But I just don't see what a Muslim extremist group really brings. Yeah it could be good, and if you make it - I won't oppose it.

I guess my main problem is with a lore that's been set around a year since the zombie apocalypse - why is everybody constantly drudging up pre-apocalypse notions? Like extremist groups, military units and/or private military/black OPS/cia-esque groups. How many militias do we have right now? How many nationalists? etc.

What I'm saying is the idea to me; sounds pretty unoriginal and uncreative (and it's main appeal is just to shout 'Allahu Akbar). How offensive it may be isn't an issue. Considering how Eastern Europe's religion of choice is generally Christianity - why not be Christian extremists?

Guest Yuri Ubiytsa   
Guest Yuri Ubiytsa

ALLAH AKBAR

Destroy all the infidels! Especially Infidel!

Brad    155

To me it reaaaaallly depends on how you do it.

I feel if you are running as a Muslim Terrorist group, I don't think is is acceptable.  I think it will cause offense, and maybe not by your group itself but potentially even by people who come across you. 

I honestly think that we would be treading on dangerous waters with this type of idea.  I feel that maybe instead you could be Takistani Extremeists, make it a fictional thing rather than something that could bring real world politics into the RP.

I'm not saying I would say NO, but it just seems like there are way too many negative variables for it to work.

ALLAH AKBAR

Destroy all the infidels! Especially Infidel!

And then there's...this ^^^^ ;)

Guest CUDA   
Guest CUDA

The only I personally oppose groups like this is that everybody (read: most groups) has to have an extreme aspect/point of inspiration to make a group. The level headed groups aren't seen too often. There's some odd compulsion to make groups that are: Military units, cannibals/crazy people/fundamentalists, military fundamentalists. I get that these groups' past makes them more likely to be prepared for some survivalist shit but still...

I get that it's fun to play the idea and myself I'm more for fun entertaining RP over ULTRA REALISM 'press Z to trip over and tie shoelace at the campfire' RP. But I just don't see what a Muslim extremist group really brings. Yeah it could be good, and if you make it - I won't oppose it.

I guess my main problem is with a lore that's been set around a year since the zombie apocalypse - why is everybody constantly drudging up pre-apocalypse notions? Like extremist groups, military units and/or private military/black OPS/cia-esque groups. How many militias do we have right now? How many nationalists? etc.

What I'm saying is the idea to me; sounds pretty unoriginal and uncreative (and it's main appeal is just to shout 'Allahu Akbar). How offensive it may be isn't an issue. Considering how Eastern Europe's religion of choice is generally Christianity - why not be Christian extremists?

I assure our main goal in game will not be to scream Allah Akbar at people. I for one think an Apocalyptic senario would be the most fitting time for a group like this to pop up. An extremist organisation would look for a time where people are down on there luck and looking for people to bring them up. Many of the points you bring up are valid. If this were to happen I think we would stray away from the stereotypes and the rp would not be unoriginal and uncreative.

Just don't go around with nades shouting god is great then everything is cool.

Guest CUDA   
Guest CUDA

To me it reaaaaallly depends on how you do it.

I feel if you are running as a Muslim Terrorist group, I don't think is is acceptable.  I think it will cause offense, and maybe not by your group itself but potentially even by people who come across you. 

I honestly think that we would be treading on dangerous waters with this type of idea.  I feel that maybe instead you could be Takistani Extremeists, make it a fictional thing rather than something that could bring real world politics into the RP.

I'm not saying I would say NO, but it just seems like there are way too many negative variables for it to work.

Of course there will be things that might cause offence to people. I think it does have a place in RP even if it has real world ties. People should separate the IC from OOC. As I said before we would not go around screaming Takbir, Allah Akbar. Die Infidel. 

Could you elaborate on this line more.

maybe not by your group itself but potentially even by people who come across you.

Is the virus not a pandemic? IMO There is a time and place for these kinds of things/groups.

I am going to assume, that the group would be running around screaming "allahu akbar", performing beheading's and trying to blow shit up, as it is mentioned as a 'Extremist Group' and a Muslim one at that which is fairly known for disregard for human life. (Yes I know there are Slavic Muslims but I again assume you want it to be a middle eastern Muslim based group)

With that said, if you could write a convincing story as to why they are even in Chernarus to begin with with goals that make sense then yeah why not smash it out, but if it is just to be 'cool'/'funny' and have a stereo typical Extremist Muslim attitude then I would say no.

In all honesty, I do not even know what would happen to groups of people like this in real life but I assume if a global pandemic like a 'Zombie Virus' or what ever broke out things would change, for better or worse.

JarmanIV    1

i wouldn't mind it but people can be ultra sensitive, and the tiniest thing you do could be misconstrued as some kind of negative stereotype

NishiUrban    78

I tend to have thick skin, but there are people who don't. That being said, I'm not exactly the kind of person who would say, don't do something because someone, somewhere, at some point in time may possibly become offended. If it works alongside the rules, and isn't absurdly trolly, maybe it could work?

Guest CUDA   
Guest CUDA

Is the virus not a pandemic? IMO There is a time and place for these kinds of things/groups.

I am going to assume, that the group would be running around screaming "allahu akbar", performing beheading's and trying to blow shit up, as it is mentioned as a 'Extremist Group' and a Muslim one at that which is fairly known for disregard for human life. (Yes I know there are Slavic Muslims but I again assume you want it to be a middle eastern Muslim based group)

With that said, if you could write a convincing story as to why they are even in Chernarus to begin with with goals that make sense then yeah why not smash it out, but if it is just to be 'cool'/'funny' and have a stereo typical Extremist Muslim attitude then I would say no.

In all honesty, I do not even know what would happen to groups of people like this in real life but I assume if a global pandemic like a 'Zombie Virus' or what ever broke out things would change, for better or worse.

Group would consist of both Chernarussian and Takistani Muslims. I have a few people that are knowledgeable about the faith that have offered their help with lore and would make sure that every thing would make sense with in the Arma 2 and DayZRP lore. As for trying to be an edgy dank memes dont melt steel beams kind of group that is not what I would intend to do.

Brad    155

maybe not by your group itself but potentially even by people who come across you.

I mean that some might turn to immature ways when coming across you.  You might not say "Allah Akbar" but they might,  know what I mean?  And I guess other peoples actions shouldnt subtract from what you do, it just seems like a dangerous territory to enter.

That being said, a group idea thread wouldn't hurt nothing, see what people think and go from there.  You might change some opinions :)

I feel that this subject, if approached respectfully and correctly can do well. Not using jihad as an excuse to NVFL, etc. I think like most subjects that deal with this type of content it is most important to read about it, be informed etc.

Guest CUDA   
Guest CUDA

I mean that some might turn to immature ways when coming across you.  You might not say "Allah Akbar" but they might,  know what I mean?  And I guess other peoples actions shouldnt subtract from what you do, it just seems like a dangerous territory to enter.

That being said, a group idea thread wouldn't hurt nothing, see what people think and go from there.  You might change some opinions :)

I think I can trust the majority of the community hear to treat subjects like this respectfully. If we find some one being blatantly trolly or overtly racist in a non IC sense then it can be dealt with in a report.

I feel that this subject, if approached respectfully and correctly can do well. Not using jihad as an excuse to NVFL, etc. I think like most subjects that deal with this type of content it is most important to read about it, be informed etc.

Thanks for the response. Being informed and knowing what you are talking about is key in group Ideas like this.

Vape Nation    5

i think it would be a good idea

Darion    62

Cuda I believe in you and believe if you plan on making a group like this then it will be good.

I've seen another Muslim group on these servers and it really unimpressed me so I am a little skeptical but I say go for it and prove me wrong

I think a group like this has possibilities, however, it's also a group in which you would likely have to do a bit of research so you're sending the right message, and not going off assumptions from the media.

I have pretty decent knowledge of Islam, was in RAH back in the mod and played a neutral, middle ground Muslim who leaned on the peaceful side and was told I played it very well. I'm in full support of this and am one of the people who will be helping with the lore should this idea be done. I can assure everyone it will be done with all these notes in mind and it will most definitely not be just throwing explosives, screaming Allahu Akbar and using Jihad as an rdm/nvfl excuse. I've played this type of character extensively and know how to do it right.

Hyborith    0

Your terrorists are our freedom fighters. < something i read once.

When it comes to Extremism. i usually think of the old soviet partisans.

Terra    1362

I agree with Pumpkin and Echo here but I also want to clarify something.

We actually allowed groups like this in the past, but we had to shut them down as their RP was offensive and insulting to others (flying a plane in a church screming "Allah Akbar which reminded a lot of people of 9/11, insulting female players, screaming "Allah Akbar" all over the place and so on).

Then there was a group called "al-takish" (I hope I wrote it correct) - They played takistani terrorists for a long time and they RP´ed it out completely fine.

It all will depend on the groups backround and your roleplay on the Server. I would have no problem with such a group if the backround makes sense and fit´s with the roleplay given ingame.

If you really want to do this, inform yourself and be creative.

I also have to disagree with Doug and have to say that you should not take "Ra's Al-Hayyah" as an example. - not saying they did not good RP but there was also complains about them for the reasons mention above.

I´m looking forward for your Idea.

It's a rather sensitive subject, however Takistan is fairly close to Chernarus and could probably fit within the lore if you're smart about it.