Server time: 2017-08-21, 18:01

Sign in to follow this  
Henning

Topics/Phrases to avoid during RP

Henning    61

After an encounter last night with who I can only assume was a new player, I wanted to ask the community what Topics/Phrases should be avoided during RP. I am then going to compile the responses into a thread for new players.

Format

Topics:

Topic:
Why should you avoid this Topic:
Alternatives:

Phrases:

Phrase:
Why should you avoid this Phrase:
What can you do as an alternative to using this phrase:

Vandy    34

You could make it into a guide. The new players mostly make errors because they don't know the lore etc. They just need to read it.

Topic: Chernarus is an island

Why should you avoid this Topic: Because it isn't.

Alternatives: Not calling it an island.

Guest Vittoria   
Guest Vittoria

Phrase: Chernorussian

Why should you avoid this Phrase: It's Chernarussian

What can you do as an alternative to using this phrase: Chernarussian.

I think I did this right.

Guest Mak   
Guest Mak

Topic: Heli Crash sites

Why should you avoid this Topic: IRL choppers don't drop regularly in the same place...

Alternatives: don't mention them, mention "the chopper that has fallen there", not "the vybor crashsite"

Phrase: "I'm new here"

Why should you avoid this Phrase: It's silly

What can you do as an alternative to using this phrase: "I just journeyed into this country"

Guest CUDA   
Guest CUDA

Phrase:  when a server restarts and people comment about either time changing or sleeping.

Why should you avoid this Phrase: Because it breaks immersion. 

What can you do as an alternative to using this phrase: just don't talk about it. Resume what ever RP you were doing before restart.

Phrase: Comrade

Why should you avoid that phrase: Just because you're RP'ing a Russian, doesnt give you the excuse to say "Comrade" in every sentence. People even say it to people they haven't met until that moment. It's just silly.

What can you do as an alternative to this phrase: Buddy, pal, friend, bro, the guy/gal's characters name. Really, anything but the phrase should be fine.

Phrase: I came here because my helicopter ran out of fuel, or I crashed in the plane in Cherno hospital

Why should I avoid this phrase: Everyone jokes about this, because unfortunately 1000's of people have used this in their backstory, it's not hard to come up with something else, just don't do what everyone else does.

What can you do as an alternative to this phrase: Be original.

Brad    155

Topic: "Does your group have a name? / What group are you?"

Why should you avoid this Topic: Unless you are a sports team people don't tend to go by group names in the real world

Alternatives: Don't ask, if people have a group name they use in game they will likely tell you.  Perhaps you can subtley ask "Who are you guys?" and maybe get an answer, but otherwise just because you know there are groups on the forums, it doesn't mean you should in game. *If you meet a military type group perhaps asking them who they are would make sense.

/moved to DayZRP Standalone Discussion

NishiUrban    79

I haven't had this issue lately, or frequently, but in regards to sexually ambiguous, transsexual, or was my case hermaphrodite characters being asked questions.

Topic: "Are you a man or woman?" "How do you pee?" "What are you?" *Enter other non-stop sexual orientation related questions.*

Why should you avoid this Topic: It's usually unnecessary to know the sex, or sexual orientation of some random person you've just met for the first time. There's the argument of knowing if you should call someone him/her, but generally it just looks like you're breaking the person's balls for looking like one thing and sounding like another.

Alternatives: If the rp from the person is clearly intentionally trolly, feel free to report. If the person is actually putting in clear effort to rp whatever sexual orientation they are, just ignore their sexuality, or at least don't harass them about it. Perhaps instead of worrying about what someone has between their legs in a zombie apocalypse, just refer to them as something equally ambiguous if you aren't sure. They, them, etc. Then again you could always ask the person's name, and just figure it out from there. Since a person with a female name, or male name, probably likes being referred too in either female or male ways. 

Defiance    96

Why should you avoid this Topic: Unless you are a sports team people don't tend to go by group names in the real world

Alternatives: Don't ask, if people have a group name they use in game they will likely tell you.  Perhaps you can subtley ask "Who are you guys?" and maybe get an answer, but otherwise just because you know there are groups on the forums, it doesn't mean you should in game. *If you meet a military type group perhaps asking them who they are would make sense.

THIS

Brad THANK YOU. This drives me insane when it happens, and I have no idea how to respond without being like," We aren't a group. Fuck off."

Glitch    15

Topic: "I was robbed of my stuff" "I was robbed of my gear" "Lets look for loot"

Why should you avoid this topic: It sounds to OOC, breaks immersion.

Alternative: Say, supplies, clothing.

Side note: Even backpack breaks immersion for me sometimes, I usually say bag, and I don't like when people know the name of the specific BAG. "Oh this here is a Coyote pack" Or whatever.

DerrickStorm    34

Topic: "I was robbed of my stuff" "I was robbed of my gear" "Lets look for loot"

Why should you avoid this topic: It sounds to OOC, breaks immersion.

Alternative: Say, supplies, clothing.

Side note: Even backpack breaks immersion for me sometimes, I usually say bag, and I don't like when people know the name of the specific BAG. "Oh this here is a Coyote pack" Or whatever.

I strongly agree on the "specific name". Knowing full name like E-Gorka military helmet etc seems stupid for me, but word backpack for me as an foreigner is the first word that comes to my mind. It doesn't seem unnatural.

The Game :troll:

OGpatch37    25

Topic: "let us prepare for the great sleep and all wake up refreshed and the world refilled with plunder"

This explains itself honestly. Say (NOTHING) take the restart how it is and ignore it or make a IC excuse to go to the bathroom or something

OFA-Faux    4

THIS

Brad THANK YOU. This drives me insane when it happens, and I have no idea how to respond without being like," We aren't a group. Fuck off."

I find it silly to be asked this when I dont wear any identifying items of clothing. That said, if a group of people come up to me and they are all wearing matching arm bands or matching berets its perfectly reasonable to ask if they are part of a group and what it is.

Military Organizations, Militias, Traders, Settlers, Mercenaries, Gangs etc Generally want their name out there and none are sports teams.

Janana    28

I cannot stress this enough. It isn't something spoken but it is something people should really stop doing.

Phrase: *John Doe crosses his arms. His chest hurts because he was hit by a baseball bat.*

Why you avoid it: You are breaking immersion by expression what is going on with your character mentally or how they are feeling in an emote that nobody in game would be able to comprehend. We can't read your mind so don't show us what you're thinking.

Alternative: Emote what your character is doing physically. Nothing else. Not what they are feeling, or thinking. Now what they might want to do later or what they're about to do. Just what they are doing in the moment.

Defiance    96

-bradsnip-

-mysnip-

I find it silly to be asked this when I dont wear any identifying items of clothing. That said, if a group of people come up to me and they are all wearing matching arm bands or matching berets its perfectly reasonable to ask if they are part of a group and what it is.

Military Organizations, Militias, Traders, Settlers, Mercenaries, Gangs etc Generally want their name out there and none are sports teams. 

In many cases, the hostage might be inclined to believe that all of the people who have initiated on them are friends. This, in my experience, is seldom the case.

I think that asking similarly dressed individuals who they are is completely acceptable, but language is important to maintain immersion. " Do you people have a history, or something?" is a good line, as far as English/Western speaking characters. When character use phrases or words that are commonly spoken within the rules or on the forums, it reminds me of the meta-game aspect of DayZRP. It's admittedly a personal issue, and I can look past it, but it really helps your role-play to speak like you're an apocalyptic survivor instead of a role-player.

Rhetoric is the key to good role-play.

OFA-Faux    4

-mysnip-

le snip

sniperoo

I tend to agree with you that wording is important. But honestly and specifically in my example of people that look like they are part of a group the word group is perfectly acceptable IMO. There is a reason the word group is used on the forums, its a very non described term to use for a group of people. (see what i did there :P) I think it has less to do with the terminology on the forums as it is just people using a common term. If you knew they where a company of soldier or employees you would call them them that but if you have no clue what else would you say?

Look at that gaggle of people over there!

What is your association?

Nice arm bands, are you guys all part of the same clique?

Look out there is an assortment of people coming this way!

If you try to be too round-a-bout then you can make things more immersion breaking.

LeSuiken    22

Topic: Your backstory / "What's your backstory?"

Why should you avoid this Topic: It's a topic that should come naturally and over time, forcing your story on people you have just met, or asking people about their story at the moment you meet them just makes no sense to me. It has happened to me one too many times that people just starts to go on about themselves, I can understand that if you're new that it is a way to identify yourself with your character, but it's often better to show people who you are, instead of telling them who you are. The good ol' "Show don't tell" rule.

Alternatives: Show people who you are through your actions and RP, don't tell them who they should see you as.