Server time: 2017-10-23, 02:43
Safe Zone: CLOSED

Sign in to follow this  
Major

Wings of Icarus - Colonel Drahoslav Zahradnik

Major    644

Wings of Icarus - Colonel Drahoslav Zahradnik 

Introduction

There is a cold, free sensation one experiences when above in the clouds, a limitless space where one can traverse up the lofty peaks of fluff, and into the blue yonder. It is a solitary, almost orgasmic feeling of limitless immunity from all of the seemingly pathetic trifles of life. Everything is reduced in size and importance, the only other sound being the constant droning of your rotors, or the gentle whoosh of your engines behind you. Up there everything loses potency, you become almost numb, yet superbly aware of your surroundings. You are free.

And yet nothing seems to be able to compensate for the fact that this bliss is temporary, and that what goes up must come down. Eventually you will land, and all the cares that floated up into the stratosphere fall back down to fill in the hole which is your life. Simple isn't it? I don't look at life in general any different. Life encompasses both the high and the low, the upper realms of the human experience, and the deepest darkest canyons of doubt and despair. The same feeling of control one feels in the guidance of his aircraft is also remarkably similar to the sensation one has when bringing a table leg down on a man's skull, his essence seeping out onto the floor as the room around you looks on in a sort of perverted mix of horror and entertainment. Flipping off the safety, and pulling the trigger as you hurdle towards a few figures on the ground running for cover as they are vaporized by your bullets. 

Do I make you feel sick in the discussion of my pleasures? Good, you'll need to get used to it. So you see, those who have the privilege to enjoy all the best the western world has to offer in all of its self-indulgence and endless want are lucky. They don't have to become what they fear the most. But that is just it isn't it? If you become what you fear most, then you have eliminated the problem. Living with yourself afterwards is merely the maintaining of dominance, those who fear you will try to classify you, or to try to come up with a cure for something that isn't sick. They use well-meaning phrases like 'Humanity' and 'Good versus Evil'. You see, many of them are ignorant to their own hypocrisy. If it fits the narrative it goes, if it doesn't you don't get away with it. It fundamentally makes no difference as to whether your actions are 'Good or Bad' in the most commonly accepted sense. Only if your peers and the culture itself accepts it. Our crusades for justice against 'Evil' merely bring more suffering. The 'Evil' has it's mask removed, the uniform and all of it's tools destroyed, but what is changed? Who died and suffered so we could have our selfish victory and who will continue to suffer so that we may maintain the image of our victory in all of its hypocritical righteousness? 

"The fact is that a man who wants to act virtuously in every way necessarily comes to grief among so many who are not virtuous."

No, power belongs to those who take it. Such power, once gained is maintained at the expense of those who oppose it, but isn't this expense worth paying in exchange for the stability and community that come along with it? In our rush to depose the dictators and despots of our time we have forgotten one critical thing: and that is that regimes in places of great adversity allow freedom of religion, they allow women to be educated, as opposed to being covered up and being hidden from the world. Why, might you ask does this take place? Where strength is present there is stability and respect, which allows normal life to take place as it never did before. We often forget that in our search for gratification we will usually end up right back where we started, and we will appreciate what was always there for us, never mind that we were ignorant to it because of our self-obsessed need for contentment. No, for in this world now I am inherently supreme and adept. My family is dead, my mother raped, my father mutilated, my young wife killed long ago by a criminal. I have no feeling of attachment for any object or ideal other than the preservation of the cause that I have devoted my life to. I can be unfeeling, without remorse, though it has not come quickly as this has unfortunately taken years to achieve. Fear now rules, and respect is not gained through ordinary means. This world is where I will thrive, for I am more than capable of ignoring all the desires which daily bring so many to their own doom. 

"It is much safer to be feared than loved because love is preserved by the link of obligation which, owing to the baseness of men, is broken at every opportunity for their advantage; but fear preserves you by a dread of punishment which never fails.”

-Niccolo Machiavelli, The Prince

Guest Yuri Ubiytsa   
Guest Yuri Ubiytsa

Gotta love Niccolo Machiavelli

I read and sometimes tried to base some of Mikhail Mel'nik's actions on the teachings of the Prince

Really great book if you ask me

Major    644

Gotta love Niccolo Machiavelli

I read and sometimes tried to base some of Mikhail Mel'nik's actions on the teachings of the Prince

Really great book if you ask me

You should also read Violence by Slavoj Zizek. Very neat, Slavoj is a genius.

Was a good read, definitely points out the thinking process of some people you might encounter these days while out in Chernarus. People need to keep in mind who they approach.

Major    644

I like this +1

Thank you. Stay tuned I plan to release and another entry in a day or so.

Jester    48

I like this +1

Thank you. Stay tuned I plan to release and another entry in a day or so.

I look forward to it. Its good to see people who are passionate about their character lore.

Sign in to follow this