Server time: 2017-10-19, 09:17
Safe Zone: OPENING SOON

Sign in to follow this  
Destinwolf

Avoiding RP Discussion

Destinwolf    13

I wanted to discuss what constitutes as "avoiding RP" today so I decided to make a thread. I've seen it pop up time to time in the Reports section and have always been curious as to what all pertains to Avoiding RP.

I don't feel like running away from someone/or a large group of people with their guns drawn should qualify as avoiding RP. If my character is ICLY nervous and paranoid of people charging at him with their guns drawn, I'm not going to stand there like Ash in Pokemon Yellow and let you come to me like a pokemon trainer; I'm going to run 9/10 and I don't feel like doing so should warrant a report if you were to catch me and pulse check me.

How do you guys feel about this? Would you consider it avoiding RP?

Please discuss.

Janana    28

I wanted to discuss what constitutes as "avoiding RP" today so I decided to make a thread. I've seen it pop up time to time in the Reports section and have always been curious as to what all pertains to Avoiding RP.

I don't feel like running away from someone/or a large group of people with their guns drawn should qualify as avoiding RP. If my character is ICLY nervous and paranoid of people charging at him with their guns drawn, I'm not going to stand there like Ash in Pokemon Yellow and let you come to me like a pokemon trainer; I'm going to run 9/10 and I don't feel like doing so should warrant a report if you were to catch me and pulse check me.

Please discuss.

You are obligated to supply RP with people who acknowledge your existence, and take the steps to initiation conversation with you. If they say "Hey", or start asking you questions an you turn and run the opposite way, that is avoiding RP. If you and another group are running passed each other and they talk to you and you just keep running that isn't so much "Avoiding RP" as it is "Ignoring RP" which is just as bad in my opinion. It obviously depends on the situation. There are plenty of friendly groups who walk around with their guns out so they could just as easily offer you a can of beans as to robbing you. I see it rather BAD RP for a group of five or six people to hold up a single guy for some gear that probably isn't any better than theirs.

If your character is scared, or cautious around other people, perhaps you should avoid being seen so you can avoid the "Avoiding RP" report. If you behave like that in game however, you will never RP with anyone unless you end up aligning yourself with a group. I admit that I travel with a rather large group of people and we have seen many people alter their course or go hide somewhere when we walk by and I find it hard to consider it Avoiding RP. People get scared. That is a reasonable reaction to a big group but you never truly know what anyone's intentions are. You should try not running and see what happens. :P

Roach    1645

Cannot agree more. Fuge that! If there's a big group of guys with guns and they spot me... I WILL RUN!

It would be bad rp not to in my opinion. You are RPing being afraid of a large group with guns, like you would in real life.

But this depends on if they talked to you, then it's different and could be considered NVFL but then again that's funny. I value my life thus why I run away. Very grey area!

However, if it's a large group of people that look civilian, I will tend to maybe not run, but super soldiers... NOPE unless they have clearly spoken to me at a short distance per say!

Defiance    96

Avoiding RP is where you don't give the people who approached you ANYTHING to work with. Being nervous and leaving is acceptable as long as you RP being nervous and leaving. Just leaving is avoiding RP.

Bruce    0

Its always bothered me when someone runs away from a large group, but I've never seen it as avoiding RP or reported someone for it. I've always seen the groups of people who run away because of OOC info as avoiding RP.

Buddy    1065

I'm not going to stand there like Ash in Pokemon Yellow and let you come to me like a pokemon trainer

i knew there was a reason i loved you. Rep just for that comment!

on a more serious note~ im in full agreement... anyone in their right mind would REALISTICALLY run for their life if there was a large group of people chasing after them with guns... until i'm chased down and surrounded on all sides.. why should i stop and wave hello just because a rule tells me i'm obligated to?

i think avoiding RP could be more defined as someone blatantly ignoring a person or simply choosing to not acknowledge their presence and whatnot.. like you're over at green mountain because obviously that's where all of the top notch RP takes place; you talk to someone there and they're either totally non-responsive or just flat out walk away as if you didn't exist. i think that's more avoiding rp personally

Destinwolf    13

Great responses here. Thanks for the feedback.

I would consider Avoiding RP to be when someone has engaged you with RP, as in, they are already in your immediate vicinity, and you give them nothing to RP with, or you just simply start walking or running away from them. I would say that could justify a report.

But you're out on your own, and someone spots you because you're apparently not-so-sneaky, and they start charging towards you with guns drawn (friendly or not, who knows, they have guns drawn) and you start running because you're afraid... I don't consider that avoiding RP or ignoring RP, even if you can hear them calling out to you. Screw that. If you come running in hot towards me with guns out, then deuces. I'm gone.

Hyborith    0

Thought about saying what i wanted, but heres a the short short short version.

Show, Don't tell...

Talk is Cheap...

And always....Be your character....Unless you can be Batman.

Destinwolf    13

Picture it this way... you're out in the woods on your own, and you come to a clearing and spot a large group of people with guns out that are seemingly minding their own business. You watch them cautiously for a time, and then they spot you. One takes out binoculars, and another looks down the scope of his rifle at you. They all turn in your direction, point to your location, and start running towards you at full speed.

Do you stand and wave? Or do you run and hide?

I'm curious because I'm not seeing it anywhere in the rules that you are obligated to stand and wait for them to come to you.

Guest HuttonYeah   
Guest HuttonYeah

My general play style/RP style is pretty much how I would personally act in any given situation. In almost every situation I like to think how I'd react if this happened IRL, and there is absolutely no chance I would stand around if I spotted an armed group coming in my general direction. Hell, even if I spotted them a mile off walking in the opposite direction I would get as far away as possible. I think I might be a bit of a wuss...

Zero    454

It's okay to be paranoid and avoid large groups, especially if they just start running towards you for no reason, and it's okay to run away and hide for them running towards you.

What's not okay? Three guys yell out hello to you and you decide to keep on running, EVEN THOUGH YOU ARE IN VOIP RANGE. You have no idea how annoying and how much it irritates me when one person hears me acknowledge them, but keeps on running, I typically don't even run with large groups, the largest being five, and half the time two to three of them don't even CARRY WEAPONS.

Destinwolf    13

It's okay to be paranoid and avoid large groups, especially if they just start running towards you for no reason, and it's okay to run away and hide for them running towards you.

What's not okay? Three guys yell out hello to you and you decide to keep on running, EVEN THOUGH YOU ARE IN VOIP RANGE. You have no idea how annoying and how much it irritates me when one person hears me acknowledge them, but keeps on running, I typically don't even run with large groups, the largest being five, and half the time two to three of them don't even CARRY WEAPONS.

I've run from groups plenty of times while in VOIP range, but only when I was in or very close to the woods for the simple fact that I could lose them in there. Not that I was avoiding RP, I love to RP, but not when I'm alone and with an armed group. There's a certain range for me that I will either run or just stand and wait. I wanna say 50 yards is the max for me. If you're out 50 yards or more and your group comes running to me, then I'm bolting. If you're within that range, I won't feel comfortable running knowing that there's a good chance I'll get caught. Again, I don't see it as avoiding RP, but more so as valuing my life and not wanting to take any chances.

Plenty of times I've been caught out in the open and didn't run from a large group, because well, they're armed, and there's no where to run.

Please discuss.

Devil's advocate - you could use the ICLY rational to shoot people on sight, torture them, chain them up and starve them, etc.  By the current rules all of that is a no go.  

That said, I don't see why running away should be a rule.  People have run from us all the time and none of us ever filed a report because it is about as normal a thing to do in a post apocalyptic world as there is.  The only losers in the deal were the ones who ran, because they avoided some RP with people who want to RP as opposed to just "Put your hands up, give me your gear, I'll count to ten, gear, gear gear..." etc.

Sasha    0

If you're far enough away to make an escape, I'd say it's fine.

But when someone is 20-30 meters at most behind you, open fields/forest where losing them would be hard and constantly talking to you and all you do is shut up and continue to run, that's when I consider it badRP/avoiding RP.

If you're afraid and you can escape them fairly easily, then it's fair game.

DerrickStorm    34

[align=justify]As stated before - if you're far enough to escape - go for it. But if you're literally next to them, you should aproach them and RP. Few hours ago I've met a guy in Gorka. He ran past by me, when I've greated him,  came out of the building, looked at me and ran away without a word. Hopefully that was only VOIP bug and with that I have no problem, but if someone is few meters away from me I expect he will RP (either RP that he wants to leave or smth like that), not bolts away without word. On the side note it's really annoying talking to one person from a group and the rest of that group is talking on teamspeak (guy runs away and then suddenly turns around when his friend drops an item for him).

Destinwolf    13

For the record, the times I ran from a group that was in VOIP range, I didn't run in silence. I would call out "No no no, please, just let me go. Leave me alone!" This has never been very often, as most times I'm playing by myself, I never really come across very many large groups. The last group I came across on my own were the Chedakis (I believe or the other Chernarussian group) north of Novy in the field, and they gave chase to me and eventually stole one of my items. The initial greetings were pretty hostile until I was able to calm them down. Hence, why I run from large groups.

miremare    0

Really good question. I found myself in a similar situation where a group spotted me near Stary Sobor and I chose to run for my life back into the woods!

I think there is a difference between playing a nervous character and avoiding a group, compared to avoiding RP and just sprinting to the next crash site.

I'm sorry but if I'm by myself and I see a group of 3+ armed people coming my way, there's no way I'm going to just stand there and wait for trouble. It's not bad RP it's valuing your life and doing the smartest thing you can do. Even if you don't know if they're hostile or not, why would you take a chance? If you come across a group that's in chat distance and that they talk to you, now running away would be avoiding RP. Your best bet is to stay calm, be nice, offer help and hope for the best.

Valkyryon    0

IMHO it would be NVFL if you were to stand there and let a group of UNKNOWN, ARMED people surround you with weapons drawn. Maybe I've played public to long. But then again I sometimes miss the real threat of no rules at all, which should always be present if you are roleplaying correctly - meaning in a real breakdown you would not have admins or community rules to hinder someone to put a bullet in your head for no reason at at all. I've been waiting patiently for .58 and persistence as well as batteries coming back to be able to make a secure approach to unknowns.

Admittedly if there is no way to run and you still deny RP that's report worthy (since REALISTICALLY you would not anger people followoing on your toe heels by not responding to them).

In the end that's again a question whether people like real RP or campfire RP.

You know, just yesterday I had a situation where somebody came to the front of our building, we started trying to talk to him but he didn't say anything. None of us had a pen so we gave him a knife to carve his name into the ground so we at least knew who we were talking to. One of my guys recognized that he was stalling and said that it might be a good idea to ditch. I didn't want to leave, but he was honestly making me nervous both IC because of how much time he was buying and how little effort he was making to communicate but how much he put forth to stay with us, and OOC because he'd hit the ground and when we emoted to attempt to read it he avoided saying anything even in OOC of what it may say or look like. We ended up leaving out the back and ditching him but he followed us. I wasn't about to have any of that so I told my guys to get the hell out, lone behold he started yelling to get on the ground but we kept running.

In a situation like I feel that running or ditching the guy was completely warranted. Everybody in my group was getting super on edge and the guy was being really sketchy. However, we did just run from him once he approached us in the next town over.

Edit: I don't believe it warrants a report. You did what made sense and as Valkyryon said, it'd, in a way, be NVFL.

Destinwolf    13

I'm curious as to how staff feels about this with the following scenarios;

(1) You're alone and spot a group that outnumbers you, they're all heavily armed and are coming your way. They happen to be just in VOIP range and are calling out to you. You're nervous and decide to run for your own safety. They manage to catch you and pulse check you, leading to a report for Avoiding RP.

Would this scenario warrant a report as a rule break?

Or how about this...

(2) You're on the server, it's low pop, you and 7 other people. You spot 4 players and they're headed your way, guns drawn, but you run away. They make a report and post a screen shot of the server list, people are called in and it's narrowed down to you being the one that ran away. Would it be punishable in this case?

I only ask because I feel a little in the dark in the case of Avoiding RP, and a lot of the time I don't understand why it should be reported. Unless the person is just running from one crash site to the next or one tent to the next, etc, then I understand. Or if the person is in pretty close proximity to another, and ignores any initiation of RP. Those cases I understand why it would be punishable.

Tewudin    44

Interesting thread, really. If I'd see a large group of guys with their weapons out, I'd be definitely scared. I mean, I'd be scared in real life. Man with a gun, especially stranger, is unpredictable. Anyway, I wouldn't considered this as Avoiding RP. Not if I shout out something like "No, please! Leave me alone!" or something like that because my character may be scared of them or not so trustful, for example. Anyway, I'd consider this as Avoiding RP if I'd run away from them without saying anything assuming that of course I'm in VOIP range. Although, with the first scenario that I mentioned at the beginning - I don't see this as Avoiding RP, rather some kind of RP. Just not as satisfying.

the way I see it, I have the right to reserve my silence. if I wanted to avoid rp, I wouldn't be there in the first place if I see someone that I don't like, I'll run or make some fucking stupid excuse to walk away. just yesterday, I was roleplaying with Matt when he admitted to me that he was leading me somewhere, I instantly felt paranoid and said "yeah fuck this" and walked off. it wasn't avoiding rp, I was just being smart. the fact is, you don't have to be an open ass motherfucker when you talk to people, you have the right to reserve any information you want or have the right to explain to them IC or OOC that you want to be alone and you don't like being around people

NishiUrban    84

I'll admit there have been instances where people have bailed on me instead of talking to me, and it does tend to irk me a bit to be honest. I completely understand people might be afraid, but honestly you have to ask, what are you actually afraid of? I feel like most people would run away or avoid that group because they don't want to get robbed, right? I'm not suggesting that's the way everyone thinks, but there are certainly individuals out there who want that top notch gear, and feel uneasy when put in a position where they could lose it. If you're avoiding rp because of gear, I would personally have a problem with it. Then again that's a hard motive to prove, which is why there is probably the generalization of everyone trying to provide rp, in order to not be accused of avoiding rp.

On the flip side, there have been tons of instances where I approached other people by myself, or severely outnumbered. Sometimes I get robbed, these things happen. But for every time I get robbed, in comparison, I usually get two to three times if not more, interesting encounters. (Not to suggest my times being robbed are all boring.) It's all about how you carry yourself, and the things you say. If you know how to play the hand you're dealt, and don't worry about losing whatever gear you have, you'll be surprised what could happen. I'm not saying people shouldn't, or couldn't be cautious, you do you and rp the way you feel your character should be.

But there was an instance where I walked into a town, and immediately noticed like, seven or eight Chedaki during a time when the Chedaki had been holding me up and hunting me down because of the people I was with. I didn't run, I stood my ground with my gun out, and waited until they were done with their discussion, before having a relatively civilized conversation with them. Just food for thought.