Server time: 2017-08-18, 05:07

Sign in to follow this  
Mr.AJ

Changing Usernames

I dont know if anyone else has brought this up, if they have sorry for the repost. 

So to change our forum username we have to donate 100 euros which comes out to be able 110 USD. I understand that if you donate that much you get a bunch of other perks with it, but hear me out. I know that I am not the only one who wants to change my username and does not want to shell out 100 bucks to do it. I feel like there could be an option to pay a single fee to change your username one time and not get all of the other perks. This donation could go towards the total donated, but it doesn't have to. Im sure people would want it to go towards the total anyway. This could cost something trivial, maybe 10-20 USD for a username change. That is about the same it would cost on Xbox Live (at least how much it used to cost. I dont have xbox one) 

Does anyone agree with me? I wouldnt mind paying 20 bucks to change my username, but 100 is a little much.

Destinwolf    13

You could donate a little here and there over time to get to the perk. Plus, you're not just donating money to change your forum name, you'd be doing the entire community a BIG service by ensuring that the servers stay up and running. So there's that. You don't have to donate all the money to at one time. Do what you can time to time and you'll get there.

Vandy    34

The point is, we don't want people changing there forumnames every five seconds. If we'd make it a low cahs grab, we could probably generate a bit more money for the servers and the community. However we rather go by "donations". I return you get some perks.

One perk is chaning your forum name every 3 months if you want.

But if we would lower the amount of money, people could constantly change their forum names and nobody would know who is who.

If you really wanted a chique and fancy name, think about it before you register. And I'm sorry. But Vandy is already taken. :)

changing your username makes it super difficult to locate. it's inconvenient for the whole community not just yourself. I wish to change my username but that means I have to donate £75 more and that means SGD$120 more. that's bloody expensive, but it's understandable, if you're gonna confused the community with a new username, you might as well contribute

Ron Chee    2

I agree with you alieb, and as you can see Search: username many others are in the same boat. Donating $113.64 to get a one time name change for whatever the reason might be is absurd. I feel accepting the staus quo here is crazy, and it's worth continuing the conversation.

I am new here and am not trying to cause waves so soon, but boxing members in a corner to "donate" such an extreme amount of money for a single name change is unfair. alieb made a good point with the comparison of changing your name on Xbox Live. 

I understand how it normally works in forums with donating, and making donation levels more attractive and creating value so people will be willing to keep donating is part of the business to help keep the lights on, I get it. But having a one size fits all option for changing usernames needs to be tweeked a little. 

I could see having the ability to change your name once every 3 months a value for a small group of people, but most members I'm sure fall into the category where they would need to change their forum name maybe only once in their forum lifetime. I understand you don't want people changing their names left and right to avoid confusion with members, but granting people the option to donate a small amount (or even better yet free for a decent reason :) ) to change their names once wouldn't create any havoc (The forum has the ability to keep track of previous usernames in their profile, so it's not that hard to see what a users name has been in the past). 

Allowing a member to donate to change their name once would go a long way too. It would help some members out there who feel stuck with a name that doesn't represent them feel more attached to their "eIdentity", have them be more engaged and active in the forums, while ultimately getting them to donate at some point because of the invested time they have put into the community.

Here is my username problem: 

I recently registered, and after being whitelisted I looked through the forums and realized my registered username wasn't required to match my IG name I originally created for my background story. I'm new to Role Playing in general, and a friend recommended this site/server and mentioned when signing up that I should have the two names match up. Having the two names match up made sense to me because I figured server admins would want to keep track of members easier and that would help. Once I finally finished the process I quickly noticed everyone using random gaming usernames and not their IG names in the forums. 

(And so it's clear, I haphazardly thought of this registered account name and never wanted it to be my main identity in the forums)  

Yes, now looking back and going over all the Rules/FAQs/Guides it does state in 1 sentence in the newcomers guide that "after you register the only way to change your username is by reaching a certain donation level". 

But when I first came to the site I registered first and then went through the newcomers guide and the whole whitelisting process, so I was unaware initially of how strict the username rule was. I PM'd an admin shortly after to get help with my mistake (actually PM'd Rolle first before I realized it might not be best to go straight to the top of the chain of command, so I PM'd Conor about my issue and apologized if I contacted the wrong person initially). It's been several days now, and I have yet to even get a reply back mentioning if my reason for a name change was valid or even a response saying your shit out of luck lol.

So it's clear I reached out promptly so 1) I could address my problem while it was fresh and 2) so I could get a quick name change to avoid any confusion because I was/am eager to get active in the forums.

I made a honest mistake registering first and then going through the whitelist process and reading all the details, and now I feel I'm being taken for. My simple mistake shouldn't cost me 4x's what the actual game did. I would hope this is a community where the members matter and are not being taken advantage of.

Nah.

You're not paying to change your username. You're donating to the servers. That's how it is. Username changes are an added benefit. Also, who cares - it's a little name next to your post. There are times I'd like to be 'Fuckface420' rather than 'Surviving Man'. But we can't have it all.

Nah.

You're not paying to change your username. You're donating to the servers. That's how it is. Username changes are an added benefit. Also, who cares - it's a little name next to your post. There are times I'd like to be 'Fuckface420' rather than 'Surviving Man'. But we can't have it all.

If the only way to get a username change is to donate, then you aren't donating, you're paying to change your username. I understand the arguments for why the system is the way it is, but there should be exceptions (I have no clue if there are/have been, sorry).

Personally the number one thing I want to do on this community is change my username, but alas I cannot.

Chris    61

Donation perks are not a store; they unlock as a gift for donations made. I don't think you should be seeing it as being 'taken advantage of' when it's 100% optional.

The one-time donation idea isn't a bad one, except that constant name changes are a pain in the ass for staff to keep track of.

Nah.

If the only way to get a username change is to donate, then you aren't donating, you're paying to change your username. I understand the arguments for why the system is the way it is, but there should be exceptions (I have no clue if there are/have been, sorry).

Personally the number one thing I want to do on this community is change my username, but alas I cannot.

Some people donate to charities to get a tax break. Some people donate to charities to help out those in need. Some donate just to brag to their friends.

Rolle    2444

Changing the username is not a necessity, it's a luxury.

I would understand your point if we required you to donate 100€ to play on S3 VIP server or to get whitelisted. However, everything that you need to participate in our community and play on our servers is free. We only provide perks for donations that give that little extra something, but it is definitely not something that we have to make available to all members. Changing your username is purely a cosmetic feature, just like larger avatar or profile background. It does not restrict you in any way how you can interact with the community.

Sure, the donation required for username change is a very large one and very small part of the community will ever access it, however that is done on purpose so we don't have dozens of users changing their usernames every day, it would get confusing very fast.

And yes, I saw and read your PM, but since your question is already covered in the FAQ, I haven't replied.

Ron Chee    2

Considering Fuckface420 is vulgar it wouldn't be approved and your point makes no sense... sorry :P

And you might think it's nothing to you, because you're a happy camper with your username... try to think about someone else not only yourself.

Yes, for whatever reason if you need to make a reasonable change to your forum name we are forced to pay because the only way to do so is by "donating". I'm just saying there should be a more reasonable amount to donate for a name change if someone might only need to do it once. Telling me "that's just how it is" doesn't fly when you're trying to go in my pocket for almost $120 bucks

Chris    61

Nah.

That's how you're choosing to see it, but that isn't the reality.  Any of those 'perks' could be removed or changed at any time, because it isn't a purchase, it's a reward for a service.

Can never understand why people assign such value to the username, it really means nothing at all.  I have never been on a website/forum that would just let you change username willy-nilly, it would be a logistical nightmare.

Considering Fuckface420 is vulgar it wouldn't be approved and your point makes no sense... sorry :P

And you might think it's nothing to you, because you're a happy camper with your username... try to think about someone else not only yourself.

Yes, for whatever reason if you need to make a reasonable change to your forum name we are forced to pay because the only way to do so is by "donating". I'm just saying there should be a more reasonable amount to donate for a name change if someone might only need to do it once. Telling me "that's just how it is" doesn't fly when you're trying to go in my pocket for almost $120 bucks

The point I am making is that usernames are an arbitrary and cosmetic part of your account. Nobody really cares what your username is, and considering you made the mistake of putting in the wrong username - this falls on you.

I've wanted to change my username from time to time, or even just my title. But then I have rent to pay and realise I cannot afford it. I am in a similar situation as you - I just grew to accept it, rather than try to get the server to change their policies to suit my own selfish needs.

DarkSide    229

Like Rolle said its luxury. No one is trying to go into your pocket for your money. But when it comes to donation ranks to some people it doesn't mean anything. Don't just donate to get a new name donate because you want to see this community get further then it already has.

Personally names are just names, Some people go by IRL names and not their forum name.

weedy wine    4

Maybe there could be an option for people to buy a name change for cheaper, but somewhere on their profile would be a "previously known as" kinda like steam? So you could keep track of people. But still keep the price for a name change at like 20 euros so it doesn't happen left and right? Idk how hard that would be to implement, just a thought, no interest in changing my name.

Ron Chee    2

My circumstance isn't "willy nilly" and many other newly registered members might fall in the same boat.

I mentioned donating a smaller amount for a one time change, how is that not being willing to pay for the luxury of a name change?

Hell, I feel I have a valid claim for a free name change, but I am willing to pay a more reasonable donation amount because I feel I want to stick around a while and I understand the stress on name changing being a luxury.

Flapjack    66

Maybe there could be an option for people to buy a name change for cheaper, but somewhere on their profile would be a "previously known as" kinda like steam? So you could keep track of people. But still keep the price for a name change at like 20 euros so it doesn't happen left and right? Idk how hard that would be to implement, just a thought, no interest in changing my name.

That's already been implemented? Go on my profile for example, you'll see "Username Changes: 1", click on it; shows you my previous name.

Ron Chee    2

That's already been implemented? Go on my profile for example, you'll see "Username Changes: 1", click on it; shows you my previous name.

N/M misread your reply flapjack

Chris    61

I think this is the real sticking point, and hurdle to be crossed in the discussion.  Making exceptions to rules is a slippery slope, and what is fair and reasonable to one person may not be to another person.  Say I go to 'Admin A' and request a name change with the reason that you gave above, and it is granted.  Then later someone else goes to 'Admin B' with the same request, same reasoning, but gets denied because 'Admin B' finds it unreasonable.

In my opinion, username changes should be restricted as much as possible for logistic reasons, and to keep personal opinions out of the matter.  Consistency is important when it comes to things like that.

And I can't speak for anyone else, but I doubt that anyone truly donated that much money to the server JUST to get a name change.  Donations help keep the server and site going, and I think it's a bit sad that we have to offer donation perks at all.

Nah.

That's how you're choosing to see it, but that isn't the reality.  Any of those 'perks' could be removed or changed at any time, because it isn't a purchase, it's a reward for a service.

Can never understand why people assign such value to the username, it really means nothing at all.  I have never been on a website/forum that would just let you change username willy-nilly, it would be a logistical nightmare.

I understand the concept of a donation, thanks, but you get slightly into different ground when it's the only way to obtain something. Plenty of things that people buy are considered luxuries, but when they are overpriced to the extreme outrage is very much justified. I assign value to what my username is as it's something I've used for a long time, and something that I'm known as. 'Michael Nolan' now has absolutely no relation or significance to me whatsoever which is why I'd like it changed to what I typically am known as on these types of communities. I'd have liked to have remade my account when I rejoined this community, but I would have been banned.

I'm not asking for it to be changed willy-nilly, I totally agree that a system like that would cause big problems, and you'd get people abusing the system to change their username on a whim. I think it'd be fair if you'd let exceptions through or just have a lesser fee , because most people can't afford to pay that much or aren't willing to. I've supported the server by donating already, I did so after having my whitelist accepted so I receive only half of the perks, but I did so to help the community out in a small way.

Ron Chee    2

I think this is the real sticking point, and hurdle to be crossed in the discussion.  Making exceptions to rules is a slippery slope, and what is fair and reasonable to one person may not be to another person.  Say I go to 'Admin A' and request a name change with the reason that you gave above, and it is granted.  Then later someone else goes to 'Admin B' with the same request, same reasoning, but gets denied because 'Admin B' finds it unreasonable.

It's funny you mention that, because my friend who signed up at the same time as me was granted a name change from a different admin. yes, his name was more vulgar (mine Ron Chee a play off "raunchy") but his was changed and mine wasn't. Like I said I tried to clear the name issue right away and feel I made a pretty honest mistake. I can understand everyone else arguments for willy nilly  name changes but situations like mine seem to warrant a fairer look. Again, it's unfair for someone who has the name they have been known by for sometime to act like it petty for someone who also wants the same.

Chris    61

It's funny you mention that, because my friend who signed up at the same time as me was granted a name change from a different admin. yes, his name was more vulgar (mine Ron Chee a play off "raunchy") but his was changed and mine wasn't. Like I said I tried to clear the name issue right away and feel I made a pretty honest mistake. I can understand everyone else arguments for willy nilly  name changes but situations like mine seem to warrant a fairer look. Again, it's unfair for someone who has the name they have been known by for sometime to act like it petty for someone who also wants the same.

Well if his name was changed due to vulgarity than it really doesn't count, as it was breaking the rules regarding usernames and was getting changed anyway.

Anyway, I didn't want to make this into as much of a back-and-forth as it's been.  I guess we just see it differently.  Good luck to you on your name situation, no hard feelings. :)

weedy wine    4

Oops my bad, I'm not the most observant.

I agree with whoever below said we tend to assign a little too much importance to usernames, anyway. I've made friends with people who had nonsensical or weird usernames on other sites, and by the end, when I see the username, I think of them and associations with them, not the name.

Ron Chee    2

Chris...

Same here, and thanks. Like I started out saying, it's worth having a conversation about, and looking at it from a few different perspectives. 

I will be donating soon regardless because I enjoy the server and not any other reason or luxury... but wonder if people would have had a different response to my opinion if I had a colored name already.