Server time: 2017-10-18, 11:17
Safe Zone: CLOSING SOON

Sign in to follow this  
Chance

Naming Your Character

Chance    48

I'm probably not the only one who struggles with this, but, naming your new character can be a tricky task. Today, I am here to help you, and guide you on sensible naming for new characters. 

Step 1: Nationality

DayZRP is all about realism. You wouldn't have a Russian character, with a German name, would you?

When I'm creating characters, I like to use names that are traditional to the characters respective nationality. Names that are easily recorgnisable to a certain nation. I also like their name to be unique.

Dual nationality: Say your character is half-German, half-French. If your characters Father is German, then your surname would normally be a traditional German surname, like Muller. Then, your characters forename would most likely be French (to acknowledge your Mothers French origin), something like Pierre. Doing this acknowledges your characters diverse background and dual nationality. 

Step 2: Naming Your Character

There are a few websites that I like to use, when contemplating a name for my new character. I like to use this website, as it gives an in-depth description of your desired name; it gives the gender of that name, nationality and a brief description of the names origin and the century where it was first used. 

This is something that I personally do, when creating a new character. Let's say that I am creating a Belgian character, I will go to my search-bar, and type in "Popular Male Belgian Forenames" or "Top 100 Belgian Male Forenames" usually, a wide array of websites will pop-up, most of these websites will have a massive index of names for that respective nation.

Make your name interesting. Don't be that guy, who calls his character "John Smith" or something incredibly generic. I will often write down a few names, which I like the sound of, before choosing my final name. 

What I don't see in DayZRP, is double-barreled forenames. This may be, because double-barreled forenames are only popular in western cultures, and not necessarily in eastern cultures. With double-barreled forenames, you are able to make your characters name distinct and unique, as it is incredibly rare to find someone with the same double-barreled forename as you, due to the fact that double-barreled forenames are used when both parents want their forename to be apart of their child's full name, or when the wife refuses to give up her maiden name and take on her husbands forename.

Step 3: Meaning of Your Name

Whenever creating a character, I like their name to have meaning. For example, my current characters full name is Liuz Ochrani Kzałowca. 

In Polish, Liuz means "light" and Ochrani is a derivative of the Polish word "ochraniacz", which means "protector". 

I hope you enjoyed this brief tutorial. If you have any questions or queries on character names, please, feel free to PM me.

Nice little tutorial bratr. But what about Chernarussian examples all I see here is Belgian, French, German and Polish a?

One thing that "grinds my gears" is people having the most Russian name ever and saying they are Chernarussian/Czech or Polish or something of that sort. Such as Sergey, that is a distinctively Russian/Bulgarian name. Vasily is one, the only Czech person with a name similar to that one was named Vasilije.

I think I'm being too picky but I like to think of Chernarussian culture as being truly unique and I just don't like having a distinctively Russian name when RP-ing as a Chernarussian.

But then again Chernarus is close to Russia so that can be used as a reason. I'm just probably too picky.

Guest CUDA   
Guest CUDA

Nice guide.

Darion    152

The name for my character was easy to come up with as I RP as myself which he involved into a very cruel person so his name is my name :) so original I know

I understand the logic but these sorts of things aren't exactly set in stone. Parents can name a child whatever they want. Not all the time do children take their father's surname as the first name. Some have hyphenated/dual surnames. I've never heard the thing about first name's acknowledging the mother's heritage either.

Parents name their children after a multitude of things, words, pop-culture, old relatives and so on. This is a nice guide, but aside from pointing out differences I think the tone is a bit overbearing. Your tips on discovering names/finding definitions of the names and so on is good - but your attitude that people can have incorrect names although it can be true, is a bit extreme.

Like this line here:

DayZRP is all about realism. You wouldn't have a Russian character, with a German name, would you?

You might. Maybe the parents had a German friend, or a slight German ancestry - maybe the child was born in Germany. etc.

Guest Bro_941   
Guest Bro_941

Thank you so much! 

You just made that 10 times easier for me and most likely a lot of over people out there in the DayZRP community. I always sat there thinking of name that would be natural, known and easy to say, looking up popular names is a great idea makes it that I don't have to put as much effort of thinking of one I just have to find one that would suit my character. Great tips I hope you keep giving out some helpful tips.

Keep it up!

-Bro

My Goals:

• Post 500 times on the forums
  • Get a REP of 300
  • Join a well known clan
  • Become known in the forum community

Macbrine    132

I'm not probably not the only one who struggles with this, but, naming your new character can be a tricky task. Today, I am here to help you, and guide you on sensible naming for new characters. 

Step 1: Nationality

When I'm creating characters, I like to use names that are traditional to the characters respective nationality. Names that are easily recorgnisable to a certain nation. I also like their name to be unique.

Dual nationality: Say your character is half-German, half-French. If your characters Father is German, then your surname would normally be a traditional German surname, like Muller. Then, your characters forename would most likely be French (to acknowledge your Mothers French origin), something like Pierre. Doing this acknowledges your characters diverse background and dual nationality. 

Step 2: Naming Your Character

There are a few websites that I like to use, when contemplating a name for my new character. I like to use this website, as it gives an in-depth description of your desired name; it gives the gender of that name, nationality and a brief description of the names origin and the century where it was first used. 

This is something that I personally do, when creating a new character. Let's say that I am creating a Belgian character, I will go to my search-bar, and type in "Popular Male Belgian Forenames" or "Top 100 Belgian Male Forenames" usually, a wide array of websites will pop-up, most of these websites will have a massive index of names for that respective nation.

Make your name interesting. Don't be that guy, who calls his character "John Smith" or something incredibly generic. I will often write down a few names, which I like the sound of, before choosing my final name. 

What I don't see in DayZRP, is double-barreled forenames. This may be, because double-barreled forenames are only popular in western cultures, and not necessarily in eastern cultures. With double-barreled forenames, you are able to make your characters name distinct and unique, as it is incredibly rare to find someone with the same double-barreled forename as you, due to the fact that double-barreled forenames are used when both parents want their forename to be apart of their child's full name, or when the wife refuses to give up her maiden name and take on her husbands forename.

Step 3: Meaning of Your Name

Whenever creating a character, I like their name to have meaning. For example, my current characters full name is Liuz Ochrani Kzałowca. 

In Polish, Liuz means "light" and Ochrani is a derivative of the Polish word "ochraniacz", which means "protector". 

I hope you enjoyed this brief tutorial. If you have any questions or queries on character names, please, feel free to PM me.

There are a few websites that I like to use, when contemplating a name for my new character. I like to use this website

I like to use my own abilities to name my character as I believe it incites better roleplay. I think your philosophy of character naming is old and outdated. I would like if people could voice their opinions on site vs. brainpower.

Jack Allen    18

I've seen some weird names that you never see anywhere. A lot of the Russian names just get repeated. Ivan, Victor, Viktor, Vlad, etc.

I think this guide could probably help out a lot with that.

Jerry    22

Names are names, even if your name is "John Smith," who cares? You betta be RPing a John Smith though..

You've got a point on the whole nationality thing but you gotta remember that not every person in the world has a surname reflecting their nationality.

Schmidt is Smith in German, but theres a chance that there is a German called John Smith because people have a choice to what language their name is in, I'm sure there is Germans out there that prefer Smith over Schmidt.

So if realism is your goal, then when you run into a German John Smith you better not question his background, because he it might just be legit

I have 2 rules when it comes to making a name,

first: is it logical?

second: how stereotypical do you want it to be?

look at my name in game, Kenway Lee from Singapore and Chang Wei Xian, a Chinese-Chernarussian immigrant.

honestly you can be a white Japanese dude with the name "Benjamin Tanaka", and just say, "my dad is Japanese and my mom is Canadian".

what I'm trying to get at, is that names shouldn't matter that much.

I know it gets annoying when you meet someone with the name "Nikita Ruskov" and talks like an American

Apparatchik    0

Thank you for the thoughts, Mebogal. I'm thinking of playing a character native to Chernarus, so I'm looking at Georgian names, given the proximity to the Black Sea.

zoyo    70

That moment when half the people RPing as Chernarussians have Russian names. Nice guide.

Saunders    82

The name for my character was easy to come up with as I RP as myself... I like to RP as myself as it helps me to get into the roleplaying more and make things more realistic (basically it helps me roleplay better).. This may sound stupid to some people but it does really help me roleplay better as I think everything as me and I say what I would say in real life in the situation I'm in on Dayz.

Am I the only one to do this? :P

Giraffel    95

Awesome! I'll definitely use this in the future.

Sign in to follow this