Server time: 2017-08-23, 12:10

Sign in to follow this  
Rolle

Encourage player run events

Rolle    2464

As you've probably seen I've created a trial for a player run event server system, where if you create an event for other players, you can reserve the S3 server and have it all to yourself for the duriation of the event. You can find more information here: http://www.dayzrp.com/t-Player-Created-Events

Also considering the idea of private events to be able to disable certain rules for the duration of the closed event. For example if 2 groups would like to have a legitimate and big firefight without having to worry about initiations and KoS :)

Or peaceful campfire/travel/exploration events where no PvP would be allowed.

Good or bad idea? Discuss.

Stagsview    589

Events imo should always have moderation from the staff team. Clans or community members can do events on our regular servers without issues, in fact clans do that either way without needing an official server to back them up. No, events need to have some sort of staff moderating it or it can or will become a a disaster.

Q) Should we make a thread for the event + a request on the dedicated thread?

Rolle    2464

Events imo should always have moderation from the staff team. Clans or community members can do events on our regular servers without issues, in fact clans do that either way without needing an official server.

I believe it's not always possible, especially during weekends when many have trouble joining because of full servers. Plus, with a dedicated server available, it might encourage people to do different kinds of events, ones that may be difficult to execute on a normal "public" RP server.

Yes, thread for event, request in the sticky.

Guest CUDA   
Guest CUDA

I think collaboration between creatives in the community and staff would be good for these events. Other than that I think this is a good Idea +1.

Stagsview    589

Events imo should always have moderation from the staff team. Clans or community members can do events on our regular servers without issues, in fact clans do that either way without needing an official server.

I believe it's not always possible, especially during weekends when many have trouble joining because of full servers.

Let's put it into perspective. Every time I have seen or witnessed player organized events put public on the forums, reports have followed. Why? Because it is a good excuse for people to either mess up the event, follow IC reasons to ruin the situation or they simply want to troll. Without staff moderation, this would be chaos even with staff moderation it can be chaotic but at least we have an official overhead to keep an eye over the situation.

We have seen this from events such as Prud lake Weddings, Jofferies wedding, Pat's wedding, Free medic attempts to help people. The virgil and their camps being destroyed or targeted by groups.

No, it's a strong no for me. If you want to do an event, you do it IC and let people find out themselves, far more natural. No need for extra servers for it neither massive OOC announcements.

Guest Viktor Kolenkeov   
Guest Viktor Kolenkeov

Vary good idea El Presidente

Great initiative, lets hope it takes off

Rolle    2464

I believe it's not always possible, especially during weekends when many have trouble joining because of full servers.

Let's put it into perspective. Every time I have seen or witnessed player organized events put public on the forums, reports have followed. Why? Because it is a good excuse for people to either mess up the event, follow IC reasons to ruin the situation or they simply want to troll. Without staff moderation, this would be chaos even with staff moderation it can be chaotic but at least we have an official overhead to keep an eye over the situation.

We have seen this from events such as Prud lake Weddings, Jofferies wedding, Pat's wedding, Free medic attempts to help people. The virgil and their camps being destroyed or targeted by groups.

No, it's a strong no for me. If you want to do an event, you do it IC and let people find out themselves, far more natural. No need for extra servers for it neither massive OOC announcements.

See, exactly my point - if the weddings were done on a private event server, they would not have been any chaos or randoms interrupting and ruining the event.

Stagsview    589

See, exactly my point - if the weddings were done on a private event server, they would not have been any chaos or randoms interrupting and ruining the event.

You misunderstand me, they were chaotic not because they were not on event servers, they were chaotic because it was organized and advertised OOCly in mass with no official moderation behind it. Keep it IC and let it evolve IC.... No need for a OOC announcement for the whole ordeal, because once you do that, it becomes a PvP or report fest from my many experience from un-moderated events.

Even so, I am more than happy in encouraging Players in making events, I want the community to get involved with them, thats what originally the loremasters were going to work with the community with, to help and moderate these events. But private servers? Should be only for Official events run by the team, or else...it will be a clusterfuck shown from the examples i have given above.

Guest Mak   
Guest Mak

I don't know how I feel about this... The chance of random people running into the event creates more unpredictable/fun sessions, having to set up sentinels as security ecc... Or even hostiles managing to find this event and try to fuck things up, It'd feel too much made up of you'd have the whole Server for yourself...

Rolle    2464

You misunderstand me, they were chaotic not because they were not on event servers, they were chaotic because it was organized and advertised OOCly in mass with no official moderation behind it. Keep it IC and let it evolve IC.... No need for a OOC announcement for the whole ordeal, because once you do that, it becomes a PvP or report fest from my many experience from un-moderated events.

Even so, I am more than happy in encouraging Players in making events, I want the community to get involved with them, thats what originally the loremasters were going to work with the community with, to help and moderate these events. But private servers? Should be only for Official events run by the team, or else...it will be a clusterfuck shown from the examples i have given above.

And that's why we have the option for closed events with custom password put on the server. You know well that staff barely has enough time to handle their staff duties and without any in game tools the logistics behind an event are an enormous challenge. But if we just offer the players the server and let them handle the logistics themselves, I bet we may see some awesome events unfold that would normally not happen. I guess we will see, with time if my idea was a good one :)

I don't know how I feel about this... The chance of random people running into the event creates more unpredictable/fun sessions, having to set up sentinels as security ecc... Or even hostiles managing to find this event and try to fuck things up, It'd feel too much made up of you'd have the whole Server for yourself...

Well of course this is not a requirement for events. If you want your event idea to be dangerous and include surprises you are more than welcome to continue using the normal servers. This is just an option.

Guest Mak   
Guest Mak

And that's why we have the option for closed events with custom password put on the server. You know well that staff barely has enough time to handle their staff duties and without any in game tools the logistics behind an event are an enormous challenge. But if we just offer the players the server and let them handle the logistics themselves, I bet we may see some awesome events unfold that would normally not happen. I guess we will see, with time if my idea was a good one :)

Well of course this is not a requirement for events. If you want your event idea to be dangerous and include surprises you are more than welcome to continue using the normal servers. This is just an option.

For instance, if A and B are enemies, B has C as a spy in A's group, A sets up a marriage and C tells that to B, B gets ready with his group to go to the wedding and capture A, with this system you'd take away from B the chance to do that...even tho he has all the ic reasons/knowledge to do that... Even if A wants the event to be private, he shouldn't be allowed to influence OOCly IC stuff... Imo

TEazy97    8

Say 2 clans and allies want to have a war which want to settle once and for all. With KOS enabled on that particular event between those involved in the event. Would this be possible?

Rolle    2464

For instance, if A and B are enemies, B has C as a spy in A's group, A sets up a marriage and C tells that to B, B gets ready with his group to go to the wedding and capture A, with this system you'd take away from B the chance to do that...even tho he has all the ic reasons/knowledge to do that... Even if A wants the event to be private, he shouldn't be allowed to influence OOCly IC stuff... Imo

You are completely right. But these limitations will come into place and I think we shouldn't completely abandon the idea just because you can't sabotage someones event once in a while ;)

Say 2 clans and allies want to have a war which want to settle once and for all. With KOS enabled on that particular event between those involved in the event. Would this be possible?

Check OP, I just edited it. It's under consideration.

Guest Mak   
Guest Mak

Also considering the idea of private events to be able to disable certain rules for the duration of the closed event. For example if 2 groups would like to have a legitimate and big firefight without having to worry about initiations and KoS :)

This, is actually a really cool idea.

Oliv    1572

I can see Staggs point in all of this. OOC organized events are just catnip for trolls and assholes alike.

Now, this being said, I can see a benefit to this as well. Some of us have had ideas about filming certain things such as a couple music videos which have been discussed before. Having a locked server to do it on could give that the platform to happen without disturbing others RP.

Also, I have had 2 events in my back pocket that I created back when I played on another server that I didnt think would fly here as the IC reasons to organize this wouldn't make sense. There could be great RP had by all at those events I have planned, but there's no way I could make them fit in character and with the lore.

Essentially, they would be side events that would be fun to participate in but in regards to lore and characters stories, they should be events that never happened once they are complete. No one died, no one lost an arm, etc.

If this is not the direction you were thinking of for something like this, then that's fine as well.

Guest Mak   
Guest Mak

You are completely right. But these limitations will come into place and I think we shouldn't completely abandon the idea just because you can't sabotage someones event once in a while ;)

Alright, thanks for the clear answers :)

I love this idea, particularly the concept of choosing a password for the event so that only the invited people can arrive on the scene. This, IMO, would reduce the need for staff moderation for many events.

I can see myself and my clan making use of it, definitely.

Volke    132

I love this, I absolutely do, from Firefights within stories that aren't KOS and private events that don't get disturbed by random encounters which have no IC sense.

Hmm, I like this idea.

Maybe it could be used for a few tests for the RP Masterclass project.

Now we only need a certain bearded Swede to create some events.

inb4 Return of the Council.

Destinwolf    13

I love the idea, especially the idea that 2 clans can set a certain date and time they want to go to war, have the server password protected, throw on some armbands, and settle it once and for all without having to worry about initiations or kosing a random. Awesome!

Oliv    1572

I love this idea, particularly the concept of choosing a password for the event so that only the invited people can arrive on the scene. This, IMO, would reduce the need for staff moderation for many events.

I can see myself and my clan making use of it, definitely.

I love this, I absolutely do, from Firefights within stories that aren't KOS and private events that don't get disturbed by random encounters which have no IC sense.

Just have to worry about some one leaking the details and password now, but can't idiot proof everything can we...