Server time: 2017-08-19, 18:50

Sign in to follow this  
dkdodd52

Writers

dkdodd52    0

As this is an RP community, it seems natural that it would attract people who are creatively inclined. Who among us is either an author or aspiring author? 

I am.

I have always loved to write, to read, to explore fantastical worlds in my mind and with physical mediums, whether that was a book or a video game or board game. I feel like this kind of interest helps me to fuel my RP and vice versa.

What kinds of techniques do you use in your writing that have carried over to your RP? What have you learned from RP that has helped to develop your own unique writing style? I would really like to discuss this, and hopefully learn from it.

I'm not an aspiring author, perhaps one day I'll make an attempt at a fictional story but it's not my main goal. I enjoy writing and due to studying Language and literature in school I transfer skills learnt into my RP threads.

As this is an RP community, it seems natural that it would attract people who are creatively inclined. Who among us is either an author or aspiring author? 

I am.

I have always loved to write, to read, to explore fantastical worlds in my mind and with physical mediums, whether that was a book or a video game or board game. I feel like this kind of interest helps me to fuel my RP and vice versa.

What kinds of techniques do you use in your writing that have carried over to your RP? What have you learned from RP that has helped to develop your own unique writing style? I would really like to discuss this, and hopefully learn from it.

I'm an interactive fiction writer, games journalist for a tech startup magazine, and short story author. I'm working on a collection of shorts now and am sending stuff along to be published here and there. I've also been working on the writing work behind Adopted, a first person exploration game where the player examines human relationships through the eyes of a dog. Shameless plug for the game:

www.adoptedgame.com

As for writing techniques, I wrote a guide with an analysis and a few that have been helpful in my career and on DayZRP. Hope it helps you, too!

http://www.dayzrp.com/t-How-To-Avoid-Boring-Roleplay-An-Introduction-To-Complication-Triggers

dkdodd52    0

I am.

I'm an interactive fiction writer, games journalist for a tech startup magazine, and short story author. I'm working on a collection of shorts now and am sending stuff along to be published here and there. I've also been working on the writing work behind Adopted, a first person exploration game where the player examines human relationships through the eyes of a dog. Shameless plug for the game:

www.adoptedgame.com

As for writing techniques, I wrote a guide with an analysis and a few that have been helpful in my career and on DayZRP. Hope it helps you, too!

http://www.dayzrp.com/t-How-To-Avoid-Boring-Roleplay-An-Introduction-To-Complication-Triggers

I recently read your guide and loved it. That is partly what inspired  me to start this thread...to see if there were any other writers lurking out there and to start up some sort of discussion on the subject. Honestly, I feel like any Roleplayer has a little writer inside of them trying to come out. I would like to encourage people to try their hand at writing. It is a great experience once you get into it, and can be somewhat therapeutic at times.

Guest Mak   
Guest Mak

I don't really consider myself an artist, but I write songs (not rap songs, actual ones) and some poetry.

dkdodd52    0

i write harry potter erotica

I know. I've read it. 10/10 would have a slightly confusing nerd boner again.

Guest CUDA   
Guest CUDA

I don't really consider myself an artist, but I write songs (not rap songs, actual ones) and some poetry.

What makes you think rap songs are "not actually songs" seems pretty ignorant to be blunt.

Quite a lot of rappers have degrees in English because of their skills in poetry

TEazy97    8

What makes you think rap songs are "not actually songs" seems pretty ignorant to be blunt.

Whoa Whoa Whoa...*rolls up sleeves and blasts some Travis Scott*

Hurt my feelings :( . So basically raps are not songs, or what do you mean?

Guest Mak   
Guest Mak

Don't get me wrong, I like rap, but most of the people that write rap songs these days (and I know people who do) write about bitches, money, cars ecc.

I like tupac for instance, he's a poeth, but don't tell me people like Kanye or drake write deep lyrics... I probably generalised a little bit too much, rappers used to be poeth once, now, not that much...

SatansNightOut    105

Even if I'm 85, I WILL publish an Amy Strange novel one day.

TEazy97    8

Don't get me wrong, I like rap, but most of the people that write rap songs these days (and I know people who do) write about bitches, money, cars ecc.

I like tupac for instance, he's a poeth, but don't tell me people like Kanye or drake write deep lyrics... I probably generalised a little bit too much, rappers used to be poeth once, now, not that much...

I have to disagree with you here. How can you say Kanye does not rap real shit. Don't jump up on the kanye hate bandwagon like most people are these days. He is an amazing artist, arrogant, yet amazing. Not just musically as an artist or a producer, but he is a designer.  

So, tupac didn't rap about gang banging and drugs. OFC he did, everyone is living the nostalgia life. Times change, Music changes, people move forward.  What was cool back then, that was the last generation.

Guest Mak   
Guest Mak

I have to disagree with you here. How can you say Kanye does not rap real shit. Don't jump up on the kanye hate bandwagon like most people are these days. He is an amazing artist, arrogant, yet amazing. Not just musically as an artist or a producer, but he is a designer.  

So, tupac didn't rap about gang banging and drugs. OFC he did, everyone is living the nostalgia life. Times change, Music changes, people move forward.  What was cool back then, that was the last generation.

Meh, personally I have no hate for Kanye, I just don't consider what he does music, simple as that, it's a matter of taste really, and taste is one of the most subjective things in this world, music is supposedly to make you feel something, and kanye's music doesn't make me feel shit...

TEazy97    8

Meh, personally I have no hate for Kanye, I just don't consider what he does music, simple as that, it's a matter of taste really, and taste is one of the most subjective things in this world, music is supposedly to make you feel something, and kanye's music doesn't make me feel shit...

Listen to Yeezus, its like a coffee in the morning wake you up :D

Guest Mak   
Guest Mak

Listen to Yeezus, its like a coffee in the morning wake you up :D

Will check it out :)

Guest CUDA   
Guest CUDA

Don't get me wrong, I like rap, but most people that write rap songs these days (and I know people who do) write about bitches, money, cars ecc.

Dont let some artist radio tracks take away from their introspective tracks. Turning up and having a good time is a central part of Hip-Hop.  While tracks showing the true aspects of urban culture and life in the hood are in my opinion important to the game and important to culture as a whole( Especially classics like Tupac, Biggie, Nas) we should not discount hip hip artists from this generation. Even they if do make party tracks. We can still take pride in beat making and alot of other aspects of artistry within the genera.

Sorry if that is a bit non sensical currently on my phone.

Autumn    121
RaisesHand.gif

JarmanIV    1

thread de-railed by hip-hop. go home OP

i listen to drake, i lift to drake, i cry while doing deadlifts to drake