Server time: 2017-08-16, 23:54

Sign in to follow this  

Text RP issues.

I have noticed an ongoing thing in game regarding emotes in text rp which is bothering me a little.

Correct use of text emotes.

*stares into space*

*sharpens knife*

Incorrect use-

*stares into space and thinks about his lost Uncle who he really loved*

*sharpens knife considering wether he should eat peaches or bacon next whilst remembering that one time at bandcamp.*

The second examples infer we can all see into the mind of the person. Other people can not see what you are thinking, it makes no sense and often when people do it my immersion is ruined, as i am sure other peoples are too.

Robbin    0

The extra information adds nothing to the current situation and holds no merit for the conversation. It doesn't annoy me, but it is also not perceivable by my character, so there is no particular reason to add it other than to create personal depth OOC.

You are correct, but I don't particularly mind it, I do ignore it though.

Silas    11

I have seen people put smiley face emoticons in chat, we chalked it down to them possibly being new and told them not to in ooc.

With regards to the information my character couldn't know, it allows me to better picture their mood and expressions so it doesn't particularly bother me.

Guest Mak   
Guest Mak

Meh, I personally don't see anything wrong with the second examples, although you don't acquire any new ic informations, imo it adds a more in-Depth immersion... You might be able to notice something sad about his expression whilst staring into space ecc. Ecc...

Ryssen    21

I agree to this. It's nothing that gets me too riled up but I find it kind of "silly" sometimes, especially when its overdone. I think it can be done well at times though but I like telling by showing more than this which is kind of showing by telling.

Matt    21

Sorry Johnny disagree with you here, a person thinking through emotes is rather interesting in my opinion, it can often give you more of an idea of the persons body language and face instead of just *Sharpens knife and smiles* depending on what the person thinks of you could understand if its a happy smile, sad smile, or a evil smile.

And you yourself have emoted like that on leggy before so I do not really understand why you would complain really I thought it was funny when you did it, so in the end why stop people from doing it, adds to the rp.

Mercy    484

Personally I think:

*Smiles*

Or

*Laughs at him.*

Is a bit to... sorry way much of boringness. I signed up for RP and explaining what the person feels, thinks, thoughts etc. is interesting I know for one I do it. Such as if someone kept me hostage I would be:

*Spits blood down at the ground, a low growl erupted through her bloody covered lips as the gradual pain became more intense within her body. She thought to herself, 'They only have me in cuffs because they're too fucking scared.'*

OR if I was to have a joke with someone instead of boringly use *Laughs* or "Hahaha, hahhahahaha." I'd write something like:

*She bit her bottom lip, holding back the laughter. It slowly became loud enough as a chuckle. The same joke she had heard before. A flash back of her family, that's where she heard that joke before. Her face vanished from a smile with a look of sadness...*

OR as a veterinary surgeon in game I think it is quite interesting to continue to recheck dates of drugs etc, for example:

*Casandra frowned, her paranoia the best of her in these times. Kneeling down on the dusty-like road she unbuttoned her bag. Scrambling through all the vials of drugs she is carrying. The sound of glass clinking together as she did so. A small sigh occurred. She was just being paranoid. The drugs had a long time until they went out of date. But she needed to find more Hibiscrub and Iodine Solution.*

Without mentioning what the person is staring at or laughing at can just lead to waiting for someone to say something. 

Clumsy    139

I would have to disagree. Coming from forum RP where most of my replies were 12+ paragraphs I see no problem with people emoting a little extra. I mean obviously you can't use what they are thinking so you just ignore it but you get a better idea OOCly how their character is. It's just like whispering. You see it but you don't acknowledge it unless you were realistically close enough to hear a whisper. I find emoting just small things like *Coughs* *Leans* just isn't enough. *Takes a moment to lean against the side of the house feeling the cool wind on his/her face* to me is so much better. If they decide to add 'thinking about how life used to be' I'm fine with that too. Because looking at the person ICly in a relax state I would guess there was something on their mind. In which would cause me to walk up and ask them "Penny for your thoughts?" And that would strike up a conversation of what they were thinking about if they wanted to.

/snip

I think i did it ironically, but while i appreciate your point it is entirely unrealistic. No matter how much it may add to a characters story or make people aware it is a form of power gaming for people to react to it.

Other people HAVE to ignore it, reacting to it in any way is bad rp. We cannot possibly know what people are thinking by looking at them sharpening a knife etc.

It may just be a personal thing but it kinda bugs me, especially from good roleplayers. No offense is intended to anyone who does it.

Hyborith    0

Think i'll extend this a little.

But i did have to do an RP session in text. even tho my mic was in perfect order i effectively turned the RP session into a subtitles movie haha.

Gotta use what ya got best you can i sappose.

For Emotes. well it depends on the situation. sort n sweet or long and detailed. my opinion is limited atm until i meet more folks in-game.

Sandy    3

I have never been a fan of people emoting their thoughts, you cant see someones thoughts IRL so if you want to show you are sad then emote being sad and let the RP flow and you can choose to hide your thoughts or share them. Emoting thoughts is completely pointless since no one can see it IC and it doesn't really add to RP, being more vague with emotes like *Trys to hide smile* lets people choose whether they notice the smile or not and can make their own IC assumptions about it and allow a more natural flow of RP rather than forcing the RP to go a certain way since OOC everyone knows what you are thinking.

Pussy    310

I also have to disagree.

I would much rather read *She tilts her head back, letting her blank gaze stare up at the sky. A forlorn expression rests on the corners of her mouth.* than *Stares blankly*.

I think it's important to give a little bit more to the text role play since it's already so hard to determine emotions with just the power of word.. especially given the fact that some people are likely to explain themselves and their actions better than others can. I appreciate the time that some people put into the detail of their text role play because I think it adds something really special to a game that doesn't have the mechanics to allow us to be as realistic as possible.

TLake    23

Thaddeus glares at the computer screen and wonders if he should reply or not.  "What is this all about?"he mutters under his breath.  Narrowing his eyes he leans in close to the screen, "How dare he question text rp!"he exclaims and begins typing out a dank post.

^Jokes aside I don't think it harms anyone to post detailed text rp in game.

I also have to disagree.

I would much rather read *She tilts her head back, letting her blank gaze stare up at the sky. A forlorn expression rests on the corners of her mouth.* than *Stares blankly*.

I think it's important to give a little bit more to the text role play since it's already so hard to determine emotions with just the power of word.. especially given the fact that some people are likely to explain themselves and their actions better than others can. I appreciate the time that some people put into the detail of their text role play because I think it adds something really special to a game that doesn't have the mechanics to allow us to be as realistic as possible.

Your example is fine, i simplified my examples for a reason.

What you have done there DOES add to RP and IS good RP.

The problem is adding the purple part *She tilts her head back, letting her blank gaze stare up at the sky. A forlorn expression rests on the corners of her mouth as she remembers x or y.*

People are misinterpreting the point - good text rp is good. But other people are NOT telepathic.

Hm. As a text RPer of this community, I find this to be one of my pet peeves.

First of all, you are adding extra information that frankly no one can see or perceive. Not only that though, but you add an omnipotent point of view to everyone reading the thoughts. This, to me, extremely bothers me because you give the person this information without having them discovering it. It is like a free hand out that they really can't do much with.

For instance, if I was playing on a character who just murdered five people, and typed out...

[iskra hastily cleaned her weapon as her mind drifted back to the people she brutally murdered, to the lives she snuffed out, and to the running people she gunned down.]

This would be showing exactly what I did, how I did it, and essentially it removes any form of secrecy from your character. When people ask about it, you can still play defensive, but they still know what you did. Where as this...

[iskra hastily cleaned her gun, her blank gaze more so drifting than looking to the parts her hands seemed to subconsciously be cleaning. Only when her finger got pricked by the rifle, would she snap out of the trance like state, and look down to the bleeding digit.]

The second shows that there is clearly something wrong with the character, without spoiling exactly what it is that she has done. All these behaviors can be seen and reacted to, but the best part is that someone may think these certain behaviors mean she is tired or maybe needs to lay down a bit, instead of distract her mind, or talk about her feelings. It helps bring the character alive in a more realistic and human-like fashion.

Another example could be...

[iskra stared at the man not even a meter away, her thoughts racing on how he not minutes ago betrayed her whole group and killed half of them. Now he acts like nothing happened.]

This example not only gives a view on your character's thoughts, but anyone in that conversation range now knows the man in front of you gunned down your group, but again they can not use this information.

However...

[iskra glared at the man who was not meters away. Her hands clenched into fists, and a scowl showed on her face. Her right hand reached around and gripped her nine millimeter pistol's handle, and drew it forth, her thumb flicking off the safety.]

This shows your character is clearly angry, but it does not give the reason why the character is infuriated. For all they know, you just hate how he looks, or maybe he swindled you in a deal, or maybe he isn't the calm guy everyone thinks he is, or maybe you are just hot blooded. This furthers the RP, without blowing his cover, or giving those watching that omnipotent knowledge of why you are mad.

In short, the thoughts, while interesting, do ultimately kill the RP and immersion.

You can instead RP out emotions via facial expressions and body language, or even dialogue.

If requested, I can easily post examples of dialogue for all.

SatansNightOut    105

Pussy    310

Conor already beat you to that ;p Great read by the way!

Ocean    6

I have a lot to say about this topic, and to go more in depth will probably make my own thread (talking about a lot of others things as well). But basically I used to be on JohnnyThunders side, as of lately I am leaning towards the opposing view in this discussion. There is a line between "realism" and "entertainment/story-telling" of course these can crossover but just that comparison could get some people thinking. It all just depends on what YOU want from RP. At this point it isnt bad-rp or better-rp, it is preference.

Janana    28

I have noticed an ongoing thing in game regarding emotes in text rp which is bothering me a little.

Correct use of text emotes.

*stares into space*

*sharpens knife*

Incorrect use-

*stares into space and thinks about his lost Uncle who he really loved*

*sharpens knife considering wether he should eat peaches or bacon next whilst remembering that one time at bandcamp.*

The second examples infer we can all see into the mind of the person. Other people can not see what you are thinking, it makes no sense and often when people do it my immersion is ruined, as i am sure other peoples are too.

Thanks for bringing this up. :P

I too have noticed this mistake and it seems to be growing among text RPers and just emotes in general. When you write your emote, keep in mind that nobody else in the world can read your mind so please don't include what your character is thinking or feeling in an emote. Save that for dialogue.

+1

Methias    76

*Leans back in chair.. lets out a sigh that reminded him of a sigh he once sighed whilst reading something that reminded him of this moment of which he is sighing but sighed none the less..*

100% agree here .. good text RP is not the issue.. but telepathic thoughts kinda throw me off and make a little bit of a pukey taste in my mouth :(