Server time: 2017-10-20, 17:47
Safe Zone: CLOSED

Sign in to follow this  
EpicShipshock

I need opinions on my character idea

So I have created this character and I didn't want him to be the all too common immune person but being attacked by zombies is all too common too. I gave my character a special illness and I want to know if it is too out there or if it is a good idea. I love it and want to keep it but if it would be frowned upon then I could change his back story.

A mutation in the dna which occurs before birth causes what is called "AAS" or Aggressive Antibody Syndrome. This medical condition is when the antigens in your antibodies cause the antibodies to over work and become more plentiful which wipe infections from the body quicker than normal. The downside is that when the antibodies start to kill the infection, they overwork and begin damaging the body as well as the infection. Antibiotics must be taken to damage the antibodies to a point where they are normal. 

With the virus in Chernarus, since the virus has a 100% fatality Rate, the AAS can't completely kill of the virus, only damage the virus and stall the infection. My character is already infected and will have to take antibiotics to calm the antibodies but will cause the infection to start to repair and spread which will cause the antibodies to go to work and I will start felling stinging pains and will take the antibiotics and repeat.

Can I please get your opinion of this idea? I did a lot of research.

This is supposed to be an extremely rare medical condition so if for whatever reason you want to adopt this medical condition for a character, could you PM me just so I can make sure that not too many people have it at one time.

Janana    28

So I have created this character and I didn't want him to be the all too common immune person but being attacked by zombies is all too common too. I gave my character a special illness and I want to know if it is too out there or if it is a good idea. I love it and want to keep it but if it would be frowned upon then I could change his back story.

A mutation in the dna which occurs before birth causes what is called "AAS" or Aggressive Antibody Syndrome. This medical condition is when the antigens in your antibodies cause the antibodies to over work and become more plentiful which wipe infections from the body quicker than normal. The downside is that when the antibodies start to kill the infection, they overwork and begin damaging the body as well as the infection. Antibiotics must be taken to damage the antibodies to a point where they are normal. 

With the virus in Chernarus, since the virus has a 100% fatality Rate, the AAS can't completely kill of the virus, only damage the virus and stall the infection. My character is already infected and will have to take antibiotics to calm the antibodies but will cause the infection to start to repair and spread which will cause the antibodies to go to work and I will start felling stinging pains and will take the antibiotics and repeat.

This is supposed to be an extremely rare medical condition so if for whatever reason you want to adopt this medical condition for a character, could you PM me just so I can make sure that not too many people have it at one time.

If this were to happen, would your character have spazes or something? The virus turns the person into a mindless rampaging maniac so would he have periods where he had "fits" when the virus gained some ground? His body may be able to fight the infection but there needs to be meeting place where he isn't completely immune and still has issues. Perhaps because of the infection, his body is weaker all the time, his skin is thin, and he gets tired fast because his body is always constantly fighting the infection.

Yeah that's cool that you've given yourself a reason to find and consume antibiotics (an otherwise, mostly forgettable item). But you could easily just written a character with a shit immune system, whom somehow is immune to the zombie infection - but may be susceptible to other illnesses like flus, fevers etc.

I don't think you necessarily need to write in some sort of condition that is unique and basically defines your entire character. It's in the same vein as; "I have a police officer character, he was the best detective on the force/a SWAT sharpshooter etc." or "My character was an actor, star of many movies." - But putting so much focus into one trait of your character and making it so fantastic, you create a very one dimensional character.

I think it's better to have a fairly underwhelming/standard past/series of traits and let the personality you create for that character dictate and create RP. Otherwise it's just: "I'm Ted, I have AAS - a condition that makes me immune but I'm also dying at the same time, I need antibiotics."

tl;dr - If you want to structure your character around a need for medication, you don't have to come up with an elaborate - specific to the zombies type condition. In an apocalypse survival scenario like this, being debilitated by a flu or fever can be just as deadly.

If this were to happen, would your character have spazes or something? The virus turns the person into a mindless rampaging maniac so would he have periods where he had "fits" when the virus gained some ground? His body may be able to fight the infection but there needs to be meeting place where he isn't completely immune and still has issues. Perhaps because of the infection, his body is weaker all the time, his skin is thin, and he gets tired fast because his body is always constantly fighting the infection.

I did take that into consideration and I guess didn't put it in. When his body is fighting the infection he feels stinging and then takes the antibiotics to calm it. While the antigens are repairing, so is the virus, and the virus builds back up and spreads fast causing him to start having temporary amnesia, fatigue, change in taste (and after too long, hunger for flesh), and will be more "jumpy" and paranoid. He will lose trust in people when the virus starts to take over and as a result of his jumping ss and spasms may accidently pull the trigger (ill make sure not to hit anyone) or drop items in his hand. The more and more he goes his skin will get paler. The antigens will rebuild preventing this from getting worse but the more antibiotics he takes and how frequently he takes them can completely kill the antigens and cause death.

Yeah that's cool that you've given yourself a reason to find and consume antibiotics (an otherwise, mostly forgettable item). But you could easily just written a character with a shit immune system, whom somehow is immune to the zombie infection - but may be susceptible to other illnesses like flus, fevers etc.

I don't think you necessarily need to write in some sort of condition that is unique and basically defines your entire character. It's in the same vein as; "I have a police officer character, he was the best detective on the force/a SWAT sharpshooter etc." or "My character was an actor, star of many movies." - But putting so much focus into one trait of your character and making it so fantastic, you create a very one dimensional character.

I think it's better to have a fairly underwhelming/standard past/series of traits and let the personality you create for that character dictate and create RP. Otherwise it's just: "I'm Ted, I have AAS - a condition that makes me immune but I'm also dying at the same time, I need antibiotics."

tl;dr - If you want to structure your character around a need for medication, you don't have to come up with an elaborate - specific to the zombies type condition. In an apocalypse survival scenario like this, being debilitated by a flu or fever can be just as deadly.

I get what yo ur saying but the antibiotics kill bacteria, not viruses like the zombie virus or flu. And I did a lot of research to try and find out how to make this work. So are you saying that the idea is bad? Good? Or I should adjust it?

Janana    28

-snip-

I did take that into consideration and I guess didn't put it in. When his body is fighting the infection he feels stinging and then takes the antibiotics to calm it. While the antigens are repairing, so is the virus, and the virus builds back up and spreads fast causing him to start having temporary amnesia, fatigue, change in taste (and after too long, hunger for flesh), and will be more "jumpy" and paranoid. He will lose trust in people when the virus starts to take over and as a result of his jumping ss and spasms may accidently pull the trigger (ill make sure not to hit anyone) or drop items in his hand. The more and more he goes his skin will get paler. The antigens will rebuild preventing this from getting worse but the more antibiotics he takes and how frequently he takes them can completely kill the antigens and cause death.

I get what yo ur saying but the antibiotics kill bacteria, not viruses like the zombie virus or flu. And I did a lot of research to try and find out how to make this work. So are you saying that the idea is bad? Good? Or I should adjust it?

I do like myself some good cause and effect. AAS is something that makes your character unique so to respond to Surviving Man's comment, yes. You're right. He could have made a guy with a weak immune system and then he could have been just another survivor who takes medication. This AAS idea makes his character unique from others and gives him a good reason to constantly be in search of antibiotics rather than just saying "I have a cold" to justify your search. 

I say go ahead with the idea.

I do like myself some good cause and effect. AAS is something that makes your character unique so to respond to Surviving Man's comment, yes. You're right. He could have made a guy with a weak immune system and then he could have been just another survivor who takes medication. This AAS idea makes his character unique from others and gives him a good reason to constantly be in search of antibiotics rather than just saying "I have a cold" to justify your search. 

The point I'm saying is it has the same effects IG, generally speaking. And more often than not - people have to find some rare, unique or incredibly specific reason to define or build their character. There's regular people out in the world - with regular problems, whom can just be as interesting or intriguing to play and interact with.

It's like people always role playing psychopaths or exhibiting extreme mental disorders and that defining their character completely, why not a minor dysfunction as one of many traits. To the OP, yeah it's a good idea - but it's just one trait. This is good groundwork but characters are more than just one sickness, dysfunction or job title. As a trait, sure - go for it, but if it means you're just running around towns saying: "Do you have antibiotics, I have AAS - Oh no it's happening again *Spazes*" It's gonna be pretty lackluster.

Janana    28

-snip-

-snip

-more snip-

The point I'm saying is it has the same effects IG, generally speaking. And more often than not - people have to find some rare, unique or incredibly specific reason to define or build their character. There's regular people out in the world - with regular problems, whom can just be as interesting or intriguing to play and interact with.

It's like people always role playing psychopaths or exhibiting extreme mental disorders and that defining their character completely, why not a minor dysfunction as one of many traits. To the OP, yeah it's a good idea - but it's just one trait. This is good groundwork but characters are more than just one sickness, dysfunction or job title. As a trait, sure - go for it, but if it means you're just running around towns saying: "Do you have antibiotics, I have AAS - Oh no it's happening again *Spazes*" It's gonna be pretty lackluster.

Ah, yeah. I understand what you're saying now. Fair point.

I completely understand and that is NOT what I'm doing because I understand what you mean. This is just one trait for my character that I wasn't sure about so I only posted this ONE. I like dynamic and we'll rounded character's which is who I am trying to make Dr. Vel'ký.

Nocheluz    122

I like your idea. It will be as dynamic or lackluster as you allow it to be. I see Surviving Man's point, but I tend to agree with Tosh's original one of it making your character unique. A rare disorder such as this would have a consistent string of sequelae, meaning side effects and consequences of the original infection. You might need more water, or food at some points, in addition to the antibiotics. You may experience muscle cramps and chills requiring you to put on additional clothing and use morphine. I see the possibilities as being only as limited as you're willing to let the character become.

Why don't you play him a bit, put some of your ideas into action. See what happens and how it ultimately affects and directs your roleplay and interactions with others. Maybe you don't want anyone to know you have this disease because then you will be suspect, with folks being afraid that they might catch it too. This would affect your interactions with groups, as well as individuals.

Run it up the flagpole dude, and see what kind of salute you get :)