Server time: 2017-10-20, 18:14
Safe Zone: CLOSED

Sign in to follow this  
EpicShipshock

How does the radio forum work?

Question

I have looked at a couple. How do the radio posts work? What exactly do you type and how do the replies work?

I saw one where the guy just described something as I'd it was TV, meaning he described visuals and not audio even though it is radio.

And the people who replied had 2 in game names and I just do t get how this works. Please help.

12 answers to this question

Janana    28

Radio threads function as a means of IC communication out of game. You can take control of your character on the forums and assume that while you're not playing, they are picking up the radio and trying to communicate with other people over the radio. People enjoy describing the set up of their character before actually supplying the dialogue of their character over the radio. With that said, if you were to do it you would describe where your character is, or what they are doing as they pick up that radio. Some find it unnecessary so they just type the dialogue and post.

Example of someone using set up:

The green text is set up.

*Mary watches Nora who is trying to teach Richard - how to sign: 'Hello - How are you'. Mary looks to her right to see Taliya and Jason who took position to cover the resting group. Jamie walks past Mary and nods, she starts to transmit*

*you are able to hear a female voice*

This is a transmission of The Wolves.

If you like to contact us feel free to use this frequency.

We are a pack of survivors.

As long as you don't get close to our puppies we wont be a threat.

Our family comes first - Over everything and everyone.

Reach us on this frequency.

*The transmission ends*

*Mary walks back to the other wolves and laughs seeing Nora gave up on teaching sign language. She sits down next to Jamie who is checking the bolts of his crossbow and watches Richard setting up a fire.*

And example of someone not using set up.

"Anyone out there trying to contact me or my people do so on this frequency. There is still something to fight for... if you are out there... keep fighting, Find people that have your back. Surviving together... is all that matters. You cant do it alone anymore."

Radio threads function as a means of IC communication out of game. You can take control of your character on the forums and assume that while you're not playing, they are picking up the radio and trying to communicate with other people over the radio. People enjoy describing the set up of their character before actually supplying the dialogue of their character over the radio. With that said, if you were to do it you would describe where your character is, or what they are doing as they pick up that radio. Some find it unnecessary so they just type the dialogue and post.

That's just it, I saw a forum post that only described the setting. No actual diologue and the replies were from people with 2 IGN

Janana    28

-snip-

That's just it, I saw a forum post that only described the setting. No actual diologue and the replies were from people with 2 IGN

Are you making a reference to this?

*Joffrey picks up his friends' nearby radio and stares at it for a long time. He depresses the button and while it broadcasts he puts it quietly to his mouth and let's it hang there. Minutes pass, hours... The battery runs dead and the static on the frequency goes silent. Joffrey moves the radio away from his mouth and smashes it on the ground.*

Usually it is up to the person and how they perceive this information. He offers no dialogue so responding to this sort of post is nearly impossible, and rather pointless. (Sorry Joffrey. NoOOC Hat<3)

Edit: What Sam said.

-snip-

*Joffrey picks up his friends' nearby radio and stares at it for a long time. He depresses the button and while it broadcasts he puts it quietly to his mouth and let's it hang there. Minutes pass, hours... The battery runs dead and the static on the frequency goes silent. Joffrey moves the radio away from his mouth and smashes it on the ground.*

Usually it is up to the person and how they perceive this information. He offers no dialogue so responding to this sort of post is nearly impossible, and rather pointless. (Sorry Joffrey. NoOOC Hat<3)

Edit: What Sam said.

But some radio broadcasts are meant to be conversation between character's? And can you character just conveniently have one when your offline?

Samaritan    345

In theory your character is never off line, when you aren't playing they are IC'ly 'asleep' or 'on their own in the woods' or 'hiding out in a building' etc. So yes you can make radio transmissions through the forum even when your aren't playing in game.

You have to look at it as not being in real time, so you can make a radio transmission that on the forum can be answered hours later but IC'ly they are responding straight away or you can make a radio transmission and say 'repeated every hour' etc. until you receive a response. Although if are in trouble in the game or need medical help through the radio transmission thread then you can use it in real time.

Janana    28

-snip-

-snip-

But some radio broadcasts are meant to be conversation between character's? And can you character just conveniently have one when your offline?

When you're not in-game, you can assume your character is anywhere at any time and time itself has no real relevance on the Radio Thread as someone can post something and not get a response for another five hours yet after that response, the OP continues as if five hours didn't just pass. It is meant for in-character communication.

Voodoo    488

As the guys have said above, your character is always in Chernarus even if your not on the servers.

Does this answer your question or is there more you would like to know?

As the guys have said above, your character is always in Chernarus even if your not on the servers.

Does this answer your question or is there more you would like to know?

Everyone ha collecivly  answered this.