Server time: 2017-10-24, 05:51
Safe Zone: CLOSED

Sign in to follow this  
Moxy

24hr Cooldown for Reports.

What do you think of this suggestion?  

144 members have voted

1. 1. What do you think of this suggestion?

• Agree
    • Disagree
    • Other (Explain)

Moxy    19

Suggestion: 

Those wishing to report someone must wait 24 hours to do so since the incident occurred. 

What will come of this:

The hypothesis is that people will be less likely to immediately report someone and either 

• A: Work it out / talk to the accused first. 
  • B: Realize that after the initial rage of being killed / harmed, that it wasn't really worth a report. 
  • C: Talk to a CH before hand in TS and see if it's worth putting up a report. 

Reports will also have time to be more thought out, information gathered, evidence uploaded etc. This will make staffs lives easier. 

Possible issues with idea:

• A player is going on a KOS spree and it's not reported immediately. In this case, contact an Admin / staff in TS. 
  • Not reporting rule breaks.

Thoughts?

Bryce_    1

+1 I have a feeling this will cut down on 'salt' based reports as well as give time for evidence to be uploaded and or possibly talk it out on TS

Buddy    1068

although ive only written up two reports, im a firm believer in writing up the report promptly after the incident occurs as it is still fresh in your mind, although i will not actually post it until ive slept on it for a night and had a chance to relax and run it through my mind a few more times. more often then not, it has caused me to change my viewpoint in some slight way or even drastically. after a good nights rest youre much less likely to be rash or salty than the moment right after someone KOS'd you or whatever the case may be

MapleMooses    0

This isn't a bad idea except for the fact that from personal experience I can say that I do not like speaking to the suspects because the majority of them will try and get me to not post it by making me feel guilty, etc. Talking it out on teamspeak doesn't change the fact that they broke rules.

The idea about speaking to a CH or Mod before reporting is a +1.

The 24 hours is a bit silly... You would want to report it ASAP so you still have everything fresh in your mind.

Bryce_    1

This isn't a bad idea except for the fact that from personal experience I can say that I do not like speaking to the suspects because the majority of them will try and get me to not post it by making me feel guilty, etc. Talking it out on teamspeak doesn't change the fact that they broke rules.

The idea about speaking to a CH or Mod before reporting is a +1.

The 24 hours is a bit silly... You would want to report it ASAP so you still have everything fresh in your mind.

You can still write up the report as a draft or in a text doc, just not post it up until 24 hours has passed

MapleMooses    0

-snip-

You can still write up the report as a draft or in a text doc, just not post it up until 24 hours has passed

That's truueeeeeeeeeeee.

Bruce    0

+1 It would help deal with the reports that disrupt RP or end up being closed.

Janana    28

What will come of this:

The hypothesis is that people will be less likely to immediately report someone and either 

• A: Work it out / talk to the accused first. 
  • B: Realize that after the initial rage of being killed / harmed, that it wasn't really worth a report. 
  • C: Talk to a CH before hand in TS and see if it's worth putting up a report. 

Reports will also have time to be more thought out, information gathered, evidence uploaded etc. This will make staffs lives easier. 

All of this should be done regardless of how much time passes after an incident. I do agree that people should be able to take some time before filing a report because we all have our moments of anger and execute actions that may be questionable at times. At the same time, anyone who got KOS'ed should probably report it as soon as possible assuming they have a good idea of who it was or where it came from and why. It'd depend on the situation I think.

Main Idea: Think before you post.

I agree.

Husky    0

I say keep it as it is, I can definitely relate to the points you brought up, but I like the way it works now, reports are getting handled quick and that's a good thing imo.

Vandy    34

I can see the points you are bringing up, but I do not feel to restricyt people making those reports.

Rulebreaks are rulebreaks. And if people need to be re-educated on the rules, then they need to be reported.

I would say, keep it as it is.

Mamba    0

I support this. I feel that maybe you should write your report the day it happens so information remains fresh, but then step away from it and think about it. Some reports are made out of anger, couldn't hurt to have some time to reflect.

Clare    25

Honestly this isn't a bad idea at all. This would eliminate a lot of salt reports/reports influenced by a persons emotions. Just I feel 24 hours is a bit much. Maybe a couple hours? Don't forget if this is a KOS/RDM situation you are required to post a report for the logs, which means you might not even know who your killer was until you post the report. I think it should be specifically for reports on a personal level, such as metagaming and harassment. You might accuse someone of something out of the heat of the moment and get staff involved when it was just a misunderstanding. Having a clear head and dealing with the problem directly with another person should be the go-to form of handling situations.

Just the whole "talking to someone over TS and dealing with the possible report" should be way more heavily enforced. Honestly we should have all have the decency to talk to the person we're wishing to report and get the full situation before going straight to staff and making a report. Whether or not these talks should be supervised by a Community Helper (which imo, that would be a great job for helpers to do to get more of a feel for handling actual situations). In this case, if anything happens during the conversation that is inappropriate the helper can step in and handle it or request a higher up staff to intervene. Just a suggestion.

Se7en    0

I would suggest maybe having it like this, that when posting a report in the reports section it does not become visible only after 24 hours, and when the 24 hours have expired one can confirm whether or not they want to go through with the report. In this case the report would go public.

However, if after 24 hours the OP decided that they would like to close it, they could click no on the confirmation after the 24 hours, in this case the thread would be deleted.

This would probably be difficult to do, and probably isn't very compatible with the current website.

Tewudin    44

I don't know what to say. On the other hand, I agree with the points that supports this idea but at the same time I think it should stay the way it is now. I understand that some reports are made out of anger so that's why this idea was brought up in the first place probably but in some cases it's really a good thing to just report immediately. Hm... I don't know, I think I'll abstain. At least for now.

Guest Doug Quade   
Guest Doug Quade

Simple solution.  Don't break the rules....  None of this other stuff is needed.....

Janana    28

Simple solution.  Don't break the rules....  None of this other stuff is needed.....

You can't always stop people blowing a gasket on some things. As much as I agree with you, reports will continue to be a necessary evil.

Bruce    0

Not to be rude, but this is an extremely cocky and unprofessional statement, especially from a staff member. A lot of the time rule breaks aren't intentional, it is DayZ after all.

Spartan    1249

I like the idea of not rushing a report when you are still mad about being killed. Take some time to cool of and maybe send the guy who broke the rule a pm or poke him in TS. Alot of times i is just a misommunication and you are able to talk it out by pms or TS

I always play in the evening and when something happens and I want to report it, I always wait a night and review the situation in the morning.

The 24 hour cool down is a good idea. In that time you can get the opinion of several staff members, you have time to upload your video evidence so you got it ready and you got time to write a detailed pov and not a rushed one. 

+1 from me

JarmanIV    1

i'm all about talking things out with someone and giving it some time before posting a report. good idea op

this is quite good actually, gives the people who broke the rules a chance to talk it out. It appears that a lot of people rather go straight to the report when something like BadRP/NVFL can be resolved by TS. I solved roughly 2-3 reports by communication on TS before the reports even go up and it has proven to be a more useful technique. No reason to involve someone in a report or get someone banned if the report can be resolved easily.

+1

Chance    48

I like it. Waiting a day will allow people to think more sensibly and rationally. It will also decrease the amount of silly reports, too.

Guest Geolash   
Guest Geolash

I can't say I agree, though those points are very good, but why have people wait 24 hours to post? I say leave it as is....Let everyone Post their POV's that were involved....throw warning point out on back and forth Arguments eventually people will get the idea....then the staff members can respond in that post after 24 hours and ask if anyone else have added information, by the time the staff has responded, the reporter and accused could of cooled down by then and add more clear information or admit to their faults. Eh.

Rifleman    14

I can understand the need for time to wait, to help people think more rationally about reports and give time for people to talk over possible rulebreaks and issues - but what about when the said report is blatantly obvious? Why should people have to wait 24 hours to report a blatant rulebreak? I suggest that there should be some wait time, just not 24 hours - perhaps shorter, maybe 2-4 hours at the most.

Hellspawnceri    533

I agree with this idea. It gives people a chance to think about what happened. letting them make a more coherently decision about what happened, and if it's worth bringing up a report about it. If you rush into making a report you tend let your emotions take hold of you, or you end up missing out details that could get you into trouble.