Server time: 2017-08-20, 01:55

Sign in to follow this  
Clumsy

Acknowledging background noise...

Clumsy    142

It's been a bugging factor of mine lately that some people break immersion to try to be funny and acknowledging background noise. Not all of us live in a place that is constantly quiet. Such as myself. I have two dogs that will randomly bark and have a habit of doing so when I click my push to talk to answer in game. Only to have someone ask if 'I' was a dog...like really? I've also heard people talking and then their home phone ringing in the background and some guys comment on it saying "how is there a phone in the apocalypse?". It's not like the person is purposely playing these sounds and I don't see how it's so hard to just ignore it. It's really easy to tell what is background noise, such as a dog barking or a phone ringing. I personally just ignore the background noise if I hear one. Just kind of curious as to everyone else's view on it. Do you think it would be considered bad RP to break immersion to comment on a sound that the person speaking has no control over? And do you think it's something that should just be ignored? 

Defiance    96

I always ignore it. I share this pet-peeve with you, especially when people acknowledge glitches in-game in the most obvious and obnoxious manner.

" WHY ARE YOU DANCING???"

My character isn't dancing! My character doesn't dance! I smash faces and drink whiskey! C'mon people!

I consider it as bad rp. Nothing to make a report about or anything unless it gets really bad and they refuse to stop.

Hassan    381

Agreed, background noises should either be ignored IC or acknowledged by letting the people know by typing OOC if it gets to bad.

If people keep mentioning it tell them OOC'ly to stop using it in roleplay, I have met plenty of people with background noise and I don't recall EVER making comments about it IG, nor have I seen others do it, but it's piss poor and unfair.

W h a t   N O T    t o    d o

• S p e a k    O O C    i n    v o i c e    o r    d o n ' t    u s i n g    t h e    " / / "    p r e f i x    t o    i n d i c a t e    O O C    t e x t    c o m m u n i c a t i o n .

McCoy III    7

I agree, they should be ignored most of the time. I can see if there is a loud TV in the background and you ask OOC to turn it down if its ruining your RP experience, then it should be addressed

The Marshal    351

Agreed, don't acknowledge background noise

SatansNightOut    105

Agreed. I mean, how many of us are playing in soundproof recording booths? >_>

Jack Allen    18

I never really saw it as a problem, then again I text rp. But once in awhile I'll come across someone who has background noise, I just ignore it.

Oliv    1552

I can understand making a comment about the dogs, but its all in HOW. I don't think it would be uncommon to find and see a dog, or even hear one. To say something like

"OMG those poor dogs must be so hungry, where ever they are".

Makes as much sense as someone going to see a play and talking about how there's no ceiling and he can see the spotlights suspended over the actors. It's unnecessary and immersion breaking, and definitely bad RP.

NishiUrban    79

For things like background noise, I'm pretty sure I always ignore it. What seems to be more prominent is people trying to tell me I'm gun glitching by saying the whole, "Why are you dancing?" "Why are you scratching yourself?" "You're hand is caught on your jacket." etc. I've seen the people being told this IG go off on the individual for accusing them of some silly action or another that they aren't actually doing, and I can't really blame them.

The worst experience I had with it, was where I was apparently doing the gun dance in front of two people I don't know. And while talking to them, one guy just keeps trying to get my attention about it, even making //ooc remarks. I heard and saw it the first time, clearly I'm not putting my gun away for a reason. It just gets face palm worthy after a while, even if I suppose it's considered immersion breaking for the people having to see it.

Connvexus    36

Yeah I definitely agree. As I am in between PCs right now I have been using the family PC until I order my parts next friday, you can hear my family going on in the background (6 person family) and I have a small house so you can imagine you can hear people in the background and I mean I can't do much about it.

I agree with your point as it is indeed immersion breaking. Hopefully people will see this and begin to break the habit of responding to background noise. I notice how people say things such as "wait what?" Or "urh urm" when there's a sudden background noise that is external and contrasting to the RP that throws them off when ultimately it just makes the interaction more awkward.

As long as it's not caused by "hot mic" it shouldn't be pointed out //ooc and especially IC. So i agree with previous opinions.

Janana    28

For things like background noise, I'm pretty sure I always ignore it. What seems to be more prominent is people trying to tell me I'm gun glitching by saying the whole, "Why are you dancing?" "Why are you scratching yourself?" "You're hand is caught on your jacket." etc. I've seen the people being told this IG go off on the individual for accusing them of some silly action or another that they aren't actually doing, and I can't really blame them.

*Cough* Powergaming.

Anyway. Ignore it. It's annoying, sure. Ignore it. Your dogs were almost constantly in your room when we RPed which I never quite understood but we all managed to dismiss it. If you were to play with the idea that there were perhaps stray dogs in the area, sure. You could play that off but otherwise, it's rather silly to take a phone call or the the crazy soccer announcer guy on TV as in-game communication.

Caesar    438

I would make a joke about it and say you got quite the bark and move on.

*Cough* Powergaming.

Anyway. Ignore it. It's annoying, sure. Ignore it. Your dogs were almost constantly in your room when we RPed which I never quite understood but we all managed to dismiss it. If you were to play with the idea that there were perhaps stray dogs in the area, sure. You could play that off but otherwise, it's rather silly to take a phone call or the the crazy soccer announcer guy on TV as in-game communication.

Power gaming is going way too far. There is no need for the nuclear option.

Autumn    121

Someone asked about my cat once. Because my cats have this habit of meowing at me because... Cats. But it sparked a little cat hunt :P I liked it.

It's also immersion breaking when someone has a helicopter for a microphone :P

I completely support this however.

DerrickStorm    34

[align=justify]Yeah, it's really stupid if people point that out. Sometimes the noises from the background of the players confuse me (like did I hear a truck) but not once did I use it in RP. If someones mic is working properly and the only issue is background noise that's not making it unable to understand the owner, than noone should react to it. And the 'dancing' part - the problem with that is first of all it's a glitch, second of all it's not appearing for all player if I remember correctly. I was told that whole dancing thing once and me and my firend reacted pretty hostile to some random man pointing a strage thing out, a thing that's not happening. Second time I will really beat someone to death with a teddy bear if they'll mention it...

[align=justify]What's gonna be next? "Wow, nice invisible gun!"

Jesus my kid is always in the background, sometimes roasting people I'm playing with.

Guest Mak   
Guest Mak

The only thing I've ever done about other's background noise, is telling a guy ooc to stop keeping his mic perma-turned on, because I could hear music pretty loud coming out of his guy, and it was really annoying