Server time: 2017-11-17, 21:07

Sign in to follow this  
Glitch

IC Communities.

After Dolina started becoming a nice community I am now seeing a strive with many groups to have their own town. The Monarchy claims Novy, the Vybor Rats have claimed Vybor, Alcyone still claims Dolina, I think we all know this. And I have seen another post on the forums requesting help to bring happiness and some other stuff, I don't really remember what I read but I think the idea was, help to bring a happy place so a peaceful establishment.

With that said what does everyone think about these communities rising? I like the idea of walking through one town that's nice, peaceful and people saying hello and then walking into another town owned by bad people and it feels quiet, shady, and they may even hold you up on entrance like a checkpoint. And still have enough people on the server still running around that you could bump into on the road or some just bored of sitting the same town all day.

I think that it's a good thing havning such IG communities. I haven't had a chance to play yet but anyway, I like this idea. Also it's very realistic. I can imagine that after the massive outbreak like this or any other type of apocalypse/exctintion event we as humans would form groups of survivors and sooner or later this groups would transform into bigger communities. Community of survivors need some place as it's camp or something. Like city or maybe small village, prison or any other place that may feel safe enough.

Long story short - I like the idea of having such communities on server and even if current ones will fall sooner or later, I hope that we'll see more of them in the future if that happens.

I do not like it that much, since town's become places where you seek different people or groups.

I get the alceone thingy, their making a teaching community i think, in a little ''safe'' place.

But when the wrong people get a hold of this, they will start to use OOC info IC.

I'm glad to know that a bunch of different communities are starting up around Chernarus, that wasn't really something you could do in the mod unless you requested a settlement far away from towns (because zeds). 

I fear the day that they actually get zombies working and spawning though, lot of people settling in towns and cities, what happens when that new update comes around where towns are *actually* dangerous?

Other then that, I think it's good to have different communities, actually thinking of trying to set up my own as soon as persistence hopefully comes back, though I'm more excited to see what the future will bring when you can make your own bases and stuff.

I think it's cool that people start inhabiting and protecting certain towns, cities and villages. When base-building is introduced, you'll see the amount of communities rapidly increase, which'll be awesome to see.

I still think that a sanctuary should be re-discovered. I never got to go to the old one, wish I did!

I think it's cool that people start inhabiting and protecting certain towns, cities and villages. When base-building is introduced, you'll see the amount of communities rapidly increase, which'll be awesome to see.

I still think that a sanctuary should be re-discovered. I never got to go to the old one, wish I did!

What about Caprile? I miss NRF xD

I'm waiting for The Hilltop, Alexandria, and The Kingdom Alliance to come. A situation like that would be awesome.

Freeport is soon to come though, and I have another character that is very community oriented coming for when Frank dies. I think communities will start becoming more and more frequent especially with persistence and base building working and coming soon. The three you listed aren't really communities tho, they are popular places with someone claiming them. See Freeport will have sustainability and constant protection with working government and such, nothing like a country, but leadership in place and a hint of old America cuz of IC ideals. I hope more things like that pop up. It makes it feel like a real apocalypse.

I'm very on the fence about this matter.

Part of me thinks that it would make sense for groups to want to inhabit towns. The infection has been going on for quite some time now, and it's only human for people to want to settle somewhere and relax since people just want a home. 

On the other hand, I think that it becomes stale. If you are in the same town for weeks at a time, and have the same people visiting you, then I can see people getting burned out quickly. Not only that, but I think it puts a big target on your back. 

-snip-

All Ima say about this is that if someone makes a community is needs to be strictly because of IC reason, and if you do do it: Risk and Reward

-snip-

All Ima say about this is that if someone makes a community is needs to be strictly because of IC reason, and if you do do it: Risk and Reward

Too bad risk will almost always be greater than reward ;)

-snip-

Too bad risk will almost always be greater than reward ;)

Well that is true, but us USAF boys are always dedicated to helping everyone and anyone we can, despite danger to us :)

See, I love this. Settlements add such a different feel to South Zagoria. Stable groups around the map really make it feel to me like a developing world. Plus, it has the ability to add much more to RP. During the winter I was warned constantly to not head into Novy Sobor because of the group living there. Now there will likely be towns you will want to avoid with the possibility of running into the hostile group that has laid claim to it, and towns you will probably actively seek out if it is mentioned in game for trade or companionship. This seems like it has, and will continue to naturally happen, as the initial outbreak has long been over. Not to mention almost all groups usually pick a home base that is a town anyway. I just suppose more people are being very open and consistent with their location. As the game updates and zombies change, we'll see how possible this all is in the future.

I'm very on the fence about this matter.

Part of me thinks that it would make sense for groups to want to inhabit towns. The infection has been going on for quite some time now, and it's only human for people to want to settle somewhere and relax since people just want a home. 

On the other hand, I think that it becomes stale. If you are in the same town for weeks at a time, and have the same people visiting you, then I can see people getting burned out quickly. Not only that, but I think it puts a big target on your back. 

Sadly this may be true. Look at Dolina. It started out nice, friendly, etc. Now it is being compared to Green Mountain due to the number of skirmishes that regularly occur there. Not necessarily a bad thing, and can increase the potential for, and quality of the RP.

I like the idea of settlements, some sketchy, some not. Either way it affects decision making, strategies for maneuvering around or through those areas, relationships between groups, et. al. So while there are some pluses, as Katt notes, there are some cons as well.

The idea of establishments is always a good idea, in theory. It never fails that once an establishment gets popular people want to ruin it. This would happen in real life too. It is better to keep establishments as low key as possible. I have noticed it is also a good idea to move every so often.

"Loose lips sink ships"

it's not wise to stick to one specific spot, I dont think it is anyway. OOC information shouldnt be used IC to find your way about, when a group like the VSR disappear, Vybor became a place where people rarely go to, when they came back, it made no sense that there's an increase suddenly.

It's about the management IMO

When I think of a group claiming a town, I want to picture a town being secure. I'd like to see pedestrians walking around, people making farms or going about daily business. Campfire RP, church RP, and strolls around town. Peaceful interactions. I can only see this potential RP in Novy right now but to have a realistic view on it, it is just people claiming a home, walking around with guns and -always- ready to participate in a fight.

Hopefully Joffrey can host a publicly known place where if you were to want some casual, peaceful RP and assume the position of your previous status before the apocalypse, he can supply that in Novy. I think the idea that people can claim land IC is a thing many people try to do and ultimately fail at doing for more than a few days because as soon as some bandits groups find out, it seems to be a sudden plan to go pillage and terrorize said settlements. A good example of this sort of RP is Hickory Hill. It's completely fine to claim land. Just be ready to hold it, an have the ability to hold it. As soon as you claim something, people want to take it from you despite the fact that there are countless other empty towns. Nobody can have anything in a Bandit's opinion.

If people manage to hold towns without constantly pillaging each other, I think it would allow the community as a whole to supply a more interactive, diverse experience of RP to people who wander between towns.

I'm fine with people trying to establish their own communities, as long as their committed enough and willing to hold their settlement against hostile players and zombies (when they actually become a problem, hopefully sometime soon). I think it has the potential to open up a whole lot of interesting RP situations and make Chernarus much more complicated and difficult to transverse, depending on whatever associations you have with different factions.

I feel like taking over towns and whatnot is a more reasonable thing than setting up random bases like we used to have. Not that I disliked those, but it's less weird IC to suddenly have a settlement that used to just be a point along your path.

Also, I feel like setting up a proper settlement would require... well there would need to be a large enough number of people who "live" in the city to make it reasonable. Beyond what is typical for the average clan. It would need to be a situation where a group or several groups all claim a town, fortify it, but allow people to live there so long as they don't cause trouble. As in, someone moves into an empty house, and as a result gets to have the protection of living within the main base of a powerful clan. In exchange, it would be reasonable for the clan(s) to collect a small tax from them from time to time in exchange for leaving them alone the rest of the time. This is especially true for if farms ever really become a thing. A simple food tax. It's basically paying for your police force. This of course could be abused, and as a result people would have to choose whether to remain living under tyranny, or move on. When zombies are properly implemented as well, the clans in charge, and the people living there could all contribute to keeping the zombies at a manageable level.

Overall, it just hinges on there being enough players who lean towards being homebodies and are of a large enough number to deter bandits from constantly attacking. It wouldn't need to be anything official, just enough people in peaceful proximity who all have time investments to protect.

In my time here, I've seen the rise and fall of a few different IG communities. My first character spent a great deal of time alone, chasing IG rumors of settlements and survivor camps, only to end up getting there too late and finding them abandoned or ruined. That being said, when I finally did stumble onto an encampment of survivors, it was a very satisfying feeling.

One of the clear, obvious issues with trying to establish yourself IG as owning or ruling a town would be that you have to have the power to back yourself up. Nothing more awkward than being the only one from your settlement to log in, while like, ten people from an enemy faction are just hanging around waiting to run into you. The concept is nice in theory, but for practical use, I probably wouldn't ever try to do it myself. I'm much more inclined to be nomadic and roam around.